Make Ice Control Cooler: A Control Powerset Buff

Blackfeather

On 11/30/2020 at 12:33 AM, oedipus_tex said:

I hear you. The reason I lean toward Confuse for Ice Control is how the mezz combos with -Recharge. If enemies are Held at the start of a fight, they break out with powers fully recharged, so the -Recharge debuff doesn't contribute. If they break out of a Confuse though they've been expending their powers on each other, so the -Recharge dings them. 

That's fair - though I do think that this does bring up another reason as to why I prefer making Shiver a chance to Hold rather than a chance to Confuse: it functions more as I envision it, as a way of 1) partially breaking alpha strikes and 2) providing the Ice Controller with the time needed to confuse the group with Arctic Air (i.e. there's no need to for Shiver to try and make enemies waste their attacks if AA already handles that).

Though if we did go the 50% chance to Confuse route, I'd probably say there'd be no need to add in minor damage to Shiver.

On 11/30/2020 at 10:14 AM, oedipus_tex said:

I like your ideas about Sleep and generally have no objections to changes to Flash Freeze.

The one thing to keep an eye on is that powers with mezz should theoretically double their Magnitudes in Domination mode. Not every power does this, but it's the general rule to keep Dominators and Controllers differentiated.

I do find it a bit odd that Arctic Air isn't affected by Domination. That'd definitely be something that ought to be resolved - I'm pretty sure that Darkness Control's Shadow Field for instance works as expected with it. Glad to hear you like the Flash Freeze changes!

11 minutes ago, Blackfeather said:

I do find it a bit odd that Arctic Air isn't affected by Domination. That'd definitely be something that ought to be resolved - I'm pretty sure that Darkness Control's Shadow Field for instance works as expected with it. Glad to hear you like the Flash Freeze changes!

Yeah thats way odd. It 100% should be an extra mag. Makes sense why my ice control dom seems less effective.

40 minutes ago, WindDemon21 said:

Yeah thats way odd. It 100% should be an extra mag. Makes sense why my ice control dom seems less effective.

It's one of my biggest complaints about Ice Control on Dominators. There are a few powers in other sets that don't Dominate, mainly ones that summon psuedo pets. On these, Controllers and Dominators usually have identical mezz durations. On powers that Dominate, the duration out of Domination is shorter than Controllers, and in Domination is longer than Controllers.

Arctic Air though is penalized twice. It both has a shorter mezz duration than the Controller version, and can't Dominate. It's locked at a 3 second Mag 3 Confuse (where Controllers have 3.7 second Mag 3 Confuse). It should have an additional mag 3 Confuse with a duration of about ~4 seconds.

Note that because AA's Confuse is a 30% chance every 2 seconds, just throwing a second 30% chance for Mag 3 Confuse might result in the power providing too much coverage. For that reason I think the power should have a Mag 3 Confuse out of Domination (as now) and a 30% chance for 4 second Mag 6 Confuse in Domination mode (not two independently rolled 30% chances for Mag 3 Confuse).

Worth noting, Dominators also have lower -Recharge multipliers than Controllers, which seems wonky, because Controllers and Defenders have the same -Recharge multiplier. -Recharge in the context of Ice Control is meant to be a form of Control, but Dominators have lower values than Defenders. If -Recharge is a "control" Dominators should have identical values to these other archetypes. 

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

While we're on the subject of Arctic Air it also features a weird-maybe bug:

image.png.4aafb133f557042c6119dadf2c8a7c19.png

If I'm reading this right, Arctic Air's anti-stealth mechanic (which, mind you, I've never actually seen work) disables for 10 seconds if you click a glowie. That's probably an indication that Arctic Air was cloned from Steamy Mists, a stealth aura which does in fact suppress stealth if you click a glowie. I think someone used similar code for AA's anti-stealth and accidentally left that flag in. It's not a huge bug, just a weird minor detail I doubt anyone would notice without the JSON readouts.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 1:25 PM, Riverdusk said:

Just wanted to correct your numbers here as you seem to be listing the -movement speed values, not the -recharge values that are sometimes, but not always, the same.

No worries - I was looking at the Mids numbers which can often times be misleading. In future, I'd best look at @RubyRed's post on this, which I only found out about recently.

• Chillblain = -25% (-20% dom)
  • Block of Ice = -37.5% (-30%)
  • Frostbite = -25%  (-20%)
  • Arctic Air = -62.5% (-50%)
  • Shiver = -81.25% (-65%)
  • Glacier = -62.5%  (-50%)
  • Jack Frost (Chilling Embrace) = -50%

It does seem like this is a fairly small amount of -Recharge in that case...making some portion of each of these powers unresistable like @oedipus_tex mentioned a while back sounds like it'd do wonders against locking down AVs to some degree.

Definitely like a lot of the ideas here.  I would have been happy just making flash freeze a pulsing sleep patch like electric's, but your idea for it is very creative and cool.

Thanks! If I actually knew how to modify the game behind the scenes, I'd try to give the different dedicated Sleep powers something unique, depending on how they function: Salt Crystals would be similar-ish to the proposed change Flash Freeze (maybe trading out damage for slightly higher durability), Mass Hypnosis/Mesmerize would make enemies sleep on the floor to force them to stand up after waking up, and so on.

On 12/2/2020 at 1:23 AM, xl8 said:

I think all sets should have a rule governing them and that if one outperforms another then that's just the way it is. I am totally against leveling the field. That is to say, if you play well with a weak power, experienced players will see it and that is it' sown reward. Conversely, if you aren't very competent, you'll role a fire blaster and feel comfortable.

As in, would you see Flash Freeze's changes as overpowered if it wasn't able to slot Taunt or Slow IOs? The main intent behind the proposed changes was to give the power some additional utility, even if the Sleep was broken early.

For the failings in the set's other powers.

Oh! My apologies - just looking at the proposed changes of yours:

I'd tweak shiver to compensate--90 degree ranged facing cone, 100% slow, -rch, minor damage, open to TAoE enhs.

It just seemed like it was a bit of a downgrade compared to what it's currently like: Shiver has a much wider arc at 135 degrees, and its -SPD is not that much lower.

I'd rather it didn't hold. So KD, slow, placate... any of these.

Basically, the main intent behind having a chance to Hold in Shiver was to provide a means of breaking Alpha strikes for a few moments, allowing Arctic Air adequate time to confuse a group of enemies. So long as it applies a status effect that does this, I don't have many qualms, though I prefer Holds myself.

On that note, i also think Glacier rch time should be drastically cut down, less than half current time.

You might like @SeraphimKensai's thread on AoE Holds in general here. I'm okay with the times as they are, but I can definitely see arguments for altering it. It's definitely odd that even Blaster nukes (i.e. their ultimate big bang T9 power) recharge faster than them.

Edited by Blackfeather

2 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

May be worth noting that Chilling Embrace on Dominators got a buff on Homecoming that's not reflected in Jack Frost (yet). On Doms it's a 15ft radius -Damage and damage aura that won't wake sleeping enemies (nice touch!)  Might make Jack stand out a bit more. 

Yep, would love to see the improved version of chilling embrace ported to Jack Frost.

On 12/2/2020 at 2:32 AM, UltraAlt said:

I don't think the Ice controller has had any changes since at least over a year before the Sunset (and I think quite longer than that).

I had at least 2 ice controller 50's back then.

I see no problem with the set.

I am a team player. Controllers, in general, are not solo-play characters but are meant to augment a team.

In saying this, SLOW powers are extremely powerful in conjunction with damage dealing teammates.

Add in confusion, knockdown, and debuffs ... I mean wow.

The set kicks butt when you are on a team.

City of Heroes is designed to be team game.

Buffing the set for solo play causes increase team benefit for each additional team member. So increasing something for solo and them multiply it by 7 and see if it still make sense. The controller is for controlling the enemy and this set already excels at that

Hey there @Sovera - I know about your perspective on Controllers and their "role" in the game. Care to share it with Ultra over here? I think it might make for a good counterpoint and discussion.

15 hours ago, Blackfeather said:

would you see Flash Freeze's changes as overpowered if it wasn't able to slot Taunt or Slow IOs?

The utility is fine, the slotting is not. Also, the taunt would redirect back on troller once timed out, not desirable.

Shiver has a much wider arc at 135 degrees, and its -SPD is not that much lower.

Keep it 135 then.

the main intent behind having a chance to Hold in Shiver was to provide a means of breaking Alpha strikes for a few moments,

Chance to hold won't take alpha, it wouldn't hit 50%.

You might like @SeraphimKensai's thread on AoE Holds in general here.

Yes, I'm all in favor of modding trollers to focus on developing their powers. Thunderspy introduces pets early at T1 and has garbage powers at the T9. I'd place pets at T3 and make the group hold T9. You'd get a "hold nova" for your T9, and a 2nd and 3rd pet at 20 and 30. More development in leveling, rather than simply picking up powers

On 12/2/2020 at 7:34 AM, Galaxy Brain said:

On a more serious note, I agree that not everything should be 1:1 equal, but putting everything at least in the same field of play is a very healthy goal. As it stands, Ice Control has multiple aspects that keep it out of the same field as other control sets, much like how Assault Rifle or Kinetic Melee have multiple issues that bring them down compared to other attack sets. If its just one dud power that you can work with, by all means work with it. But when it comes to multiple powers and aspects of the set it can become a chore.

To my mind, Ice Control's main issues are as follows:

• It lacks an early, reliable way to mitigate alpha strikes
    • Its stronger powers (Ice Slick, Arctic Air) give enemies the opportunity to retaliate
  • Its secondary effect (-SPD) only really shines in prolonged fights
    • But where said fights are most likely to be prolonged (AVs/GMs), its effects are highly resisted
  • It trades out damage for this secondary effect

I like to compare Ice Control to Darkness Control because in comparison:

• It has early ways to mitigate alpha strikes (Fearsome Stare/Heart of Darkness)
    • Their effects are immediate and potent
  • Its secondary effect (-ToHit) is effective regardless of the pace of a fight
  • It has numerous options to deal damage alongside this

I'm all for putting Ice Control's more prolonged nature up front, but it shouldn't come at the cost of actual effectiveness.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 8:41 AM, xl8 said:

"Utilizing it as it is should be it's own reward" vs "putting everything at least in the same field of play is a very healthy goal"...

I think making glacier much stronger than other sets AoE hold would address some imbalance. It's good to choose a set based on a unique merit.

I understand people's issues with AR and KM, and yes they could use a tweak, but they still have multiple strengths and can be used very effectively.

I've suggested ways of making these unique without making them OP, including non root powers in AR and a speed boosting mechanism in KM.

The second part of your statement, "putting everything at least in the same field of play is a very healthy goal", I completely disagree with for the reasons I stated above. And do you know what? I'm sure we can agree to differ. That's allowed.

I'm of the view that Ice Control already has unique merit via its focus on slowing down enemies and subsequent soft control over time - I don't think that there's disagreement in that regard.

What Ice Control primarily lacks at the moment is an early-level way of opening up fights relatively safely (and to a lesser degree damage): my proposed changes to Shiver for example, are meant to provide an additional way for Ice Control to do this, but less effectively than the other Control powersets.

I don't think powerset uniqueness, and powerset buffs are irreconcilable. Ice Control even with my proposed changes is intended to maintain its unique niche of -SPD, and keep it front and centre. I'd even argue that improving that aspect, such as via @oedipus_tex's suggestion of making some of that -SPD irresistable would further put that to the forefront.

Edited by Blackfeather

I think the Control sets could use some definitions around how much damage they are "supposed" to do. Most of the sets were not given the attention to DPA that blast, melee, and assault sets were. It would be nice to have a baseline of how much DPA a single target immobilize, single target hold, and AoE immobilize do.

Beyond that, there is the question of the "blast" powers some of the Controller sets get. Part of the challenge is the Control sets are shared by Controllers and Dominators. Most Controllers are expected to rely on the Control set for damage, while Dominators have a secondary devoted to damage. However, a conundrum arises. Because of Containment, Controllers actually do more damage with Control powers than Dominators do. In some cases, like Gravity>Lift they actually do better DPA than most of the Assault set powers. Because of Shiver's huge area of effect, much bigger than any Assault power, this is something to watch out for. Controllers would do more damage with it than Dominators; this might be okay but also might be the start of problems.

I do think Ice Control needs more damage, but also think that should be part of an overall evaluation of the Control sets. 

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 9:31 PM, oedipus_tex said:

I don't think we're going to agree on this, which is fine. I've used this power a lot and found it unwieldly. I have dropped it every time I've taken it on something like 10 different Ice Control characters who have hit 50 on Homecoming and live.

130 degrees is wide but not that wide. The immediate issue is you don't have a lot of control over the center point. It has to be centered on an enemy. Dominators in particular spend much of their time at point blank range, where moving a little to the left or right swings the cone in a different trajectory. The logistics of the power lead to a lot of awkwardness. I can count many deaths where the huge size of the cone aggroed the wrong group (while still missing most of the nearby enemies) when the power fired in a direction I didn't originally intend or a rogue +Range buff increased the size of it beyond reason.

There a handful of powers that are cones that don't require a target that I could see making this power less frustrating. One of the powers in Martial Assault for example.

But overall I'd rather it was either a spherical power or less left superflous to the set to not disrupt the flow. 

I'm somewhat curious, are there any targeted cones that you are a fan of? I personally quite like how they work myself, and it'd be a shame if they were changed to function differently from how they do now.

2 hours ago, Blackfeather said:

I'm somewhat curious, are there any targeted cones that you are a fan of? I personally quite like how they work myself, and it'd be a shame if they were changed to function differently from how they do now.

In general I am fine with cones, but in the context of Ice Control they pair poorly. Shiver has always been a power you could mostly ignore because its effects duplicate other effects in the set, so it hasn't been a big issue. I'd be against turning it into an actual attack or anything other than either a single target mezz that happens to have AoE debuff, or else a very light touch mezz. I would be strongly opposed to it becoming a staple power if it remains a cone.

Your idea isn't a bad one, I just don't like it for Shiver. If a power like that is needed, Flash Freeze is already an alpha breaker, does damage, and is spherical and is a better power to elevate in importance than Shiver. I could even see it applying to Ice Slick, which currently accepts no sets at all.

Edited by oedipus_tex

On 12/3/2020 at 1:36 AM, xl8 said:

I applaud any suggestions that are within the realm of possibility, not difficult to implement, and don't go too far in making a set OP. That said, I think all we have here is a word "frostbite", another word "brittle" and then a maybe damage, maybe -res half idea. I do like the idea of extended containment but it goes against the rules of the archetype, so I wouldn't expect to see it implemented. Too much of a cheat.

So if we're talking theme based mechanics, it must, like all other them sets, run throughout the set--combo builder in street, blood frenzy in savage, rad's contaminated...

For ice, and I see a nice opportunity for proliferation here, we can talk about "frostbite" and what it could/should do. What's the association? Damage and immobility stand out the most.

Which brings me back to your original suggestion; without the taunt aspect, it works.

I'd specifically like to see the immob side of this frostbite mechanic pushed. Say, 5 second stackable immob per application. What about the power "frostbite"? Well either we say goodbye, because Ice has a new immob mechanic running through 3 or 4 of its powers, and we get a new power (my preference but also the must difficult to implement), or... We keep frostbite as is, perhaps gathering some dust, and let ice have this perma frozen/immob aspect.
Possible alternatives to frostbite the power...

You could introduce a rain (snow) with -perception and -def (caught off guard) and/or -to hit. Not bad, but not very unique either. Same goes for a stalagmite clone in icicle form.

You could introduce a minor pet, as dark has haunt to umbra beast, ice could have ice sprites to Jack Frost. Not unique, but definitely fun.

You could introduce a snowball power that could work in tandem with existing powers, a control boost if you will.

The only thing is, we're reliant on volunteers and changing numbers is a lot easier than creating animations.

I actually do think that Ice Control already has a niche/theme of its own via its -SPD attached to many of its powers - I'm not too certain on proposals that'd add on further debuffs to that. On another note: generally speaking, combo systems work better for powersets that are focused on dealing damage, rather than ones focused on dealing status effects.

This is due to them having differing goals: the former synergises well - build/spend properly = more damage = faster defeat. The latter, not so much: most status effect-inducing powers immediately affect their targets, so there really isn't anything to 'combo' into. Gravity Control gets away with its "Impact!" mechanic because it's designed to deal more damage in a relatively control-light powerset.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about Flash Freeze's Ice Formation pets taunting, outside of making them able to slot Taunt IO sets? That can be easily solved by just not allowing that. The main goal here was to provide some level of durability to the power, forcing enemies to 'break free' of their constraints even if they wake up - I don't really mind the path in which they take to do that.

3 hours ago, Blackfeather said:

I actually do think that Ice Control already has a niche/theme of its own via its -SPD attached to many of its powers - I'm not too certain on proposals that'd add on further debuffs to that. On another note: generally speaking, combo systems work better for powersets that are focused on dealing damage, rather than ones focused on dealing status effects.

A somebody already said in this thread, slow has be made redundant by current power levels, plus anything it might be useful on (AVs, itrials) have slow res.

3 hours ago, Blackfeather said:

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about Flash Freeze's Ice Formation pets taunting, outside of making them able to slot Taunt IO sets?

The sets and the aggro directed on to controller.

On 12/4/2020 at 11:14 AM, oedipus_tex said:

Note that because AA's Confuse is a 30% chance every 2 seconds, just throwing a second 30% chance for Mag 3 Confuse might result in the power providing too much coverage. For that reason I think the power should have a Mag 3 Confuse out of Domination (as now) and a 30% chance for 4 second Mag 6 Confuse in Domination mode (not two independently rolled 30% chances for Mag 3 Confuse).

That sounds reasonable to me - no complaints there. Unfortunately, I can't think of a power similar to Arctic Air in nature that could work as a potential model for Domination to function with it, but it's how it is, I suppose.

On 12/4/2020 at 11:14 AM, oedipus_tex said:

Worth noting, Dominators also have lower -Recharge multipliers than Controllers, which seems wonky, because Controllers and Defenders have the same -Recharge multiplier. -Recharge in the context of Ice Control is meant to be a form of Control, but Dominators have lower values than Defenders. If -Recharge is a "control" Dominators should have identical values to these other archetypes.

I assume you're referring to -Movement? If so, then indeed, it does seem like a little bit of an oversight. Though I do have to wonder...are the secondary effects of Electric and Darkness Control lessened on Dominators?

2 hours ago, Blackfeather said:

I assume you're referring to -Movement? If so, then indeed, it does seem like a little bit of an oversight. Though I do have to wonder...are the secondary effects of Electric and Darkness Control lessened on Dominators?

Good question. 

Controllers and Defenders share the same modifier for -Recharge and -Run Speed, which I believe is 1.25. I think I recall (but could have made it up) a discussion ages ago about the Controller value being set to that value because in Ice Control, -Recharge is meant to be "a control." Thus the Controller value is bumped to Defender levels. 

For whatever reason, Dominators have a lower  modifier on Recharge and Run Speed at 1.0 (25% lower than a Controller/Defender).

Below images shows the -Recharge on powers with scale 0.5 -Recharge, Controller, Dominator, Defender.

image.png.96959975c451640d779208e88bb053e3.png

RE: Dark Control, Defenders have a modifier of 1.25 for -ToHit, Controllers have 1.0, Dominators have 0.75.

RE: Electric Control: Controllers and Dominators drain endurance equally. It's not easy to make a comparison to Defenders, but Defender Power Sink does drain more endurance than either of those archetypes. That could simply be an outlier though. Endurance Drain modifiers are known to be inconsistently used across archetypes. Blaster and Defender Electric Blast drains the same endurance for example. I've always found that weird.

A wild card in this is that Power Boost style effects are somewhat of a staple of Dominator sets. 4 out of 11 sets have a version of it. On live, since we didn't have Martial, Savage or Radiation Assault, it was basically a feature of half the sets. Power Boost has no effect on -Recharge, but does greatly increase -Run Speed, -ToHit, and -Endurance. The ability for Dominators to take a Power Boost in their secondaries is an often overlooked part of the Dominator puzzle. Only one other archetype I can think of (Blaster) gets a Power Boost power in an actual powerset. Several ATs can take it in their APPs of course, but no other archetype quite owns that effect.

Edited by oedipus_tex

On 12/4/2020 at 2:46 PM, oedipus_tex said:

If I'm reading this right, Arctic Air's anti-stealth mechanic (which, mind you, I've never actually seen work) disables for 10 seconds if you click a glowie. That's probably an indication that Arctic Air was cloned from Steamy Mists, a stealth aura which does in fact suppress stealth if you click a glowie. I think someone used similar code for AA's anti-stealth and accidentally left that flag in. It's not a huge bug, just a weird minor detail I doubt anyone would notice without the JSON readouts.

That does sound possible - both powersets are one of the oldest ones around. Seems a bit odd, though of course, not exactly something that can be very easily tested. Have you tried filing a tentative bug report on it? Might be worth looking into at least.

It might be worth talking about Power Boost again and an accidental(?) nerf Ice Control got on Dominators on Homecoming.

Three Assault sets originally had the true Power Boost power, Ice, Energy, and Earth Assault. Among its features, Power Boost offered 15 seconds of +Defense, +Confuse duration, +Hold duration that comboed nicely with Ice Control. I mentioned that Arctic Air has a lower base Confuse duration on Dominators than Controllers (3 seconds versus 3.7 seconds). However, with Power Boost added, these sets got a base 5.6 second Confuse for its duration, significantly improving the power.

When the Homecoming devs updated the Assault sets recently-ish, they eliminated Power Boost in favor of a new power called Power Up. That lowered the duration of the +Confuse STR effect from15 seconds to 10 in exchange for some +Damage %. On most Doms that change didn't significantly change survivability, because they hit Power Up or Power Boost prior to their big mezz. But Ice Control needs the effect constantly running to keep saturating Arctic Air. In addition, they often benefits from the extra +Defense during Power Boost's effect. The loss of 5 seconds may not seem like much, but on an end game build spamming Power Boost every 30 seconds it dropped coverage from 1/2 downtime to 2/3 downtime. 

I'm still hoping to convince the devs that those sets really needed that extra 5 seconds of STR effect and it can be restored. The +Damage is nice but the tradeoff was harsh, especially for Ice Control and a few other sets, especially Electric.

On 12/6/2020 at 11:43 AM, oedipus_tex said:

I think the Control sets could use some definitions around how much damage they are "supposed" to do. Most of the sets were not given the attention to DPA that blast, melee, and assault sets were. It would be nice to have a baseline of how much DPA a single target immobilize, single target hold, and AoE immobilize do.

Beyond that, there is the question of the "blast" powers some of the Controller sets get. Part of the challenge is the Control sets are shared by Controllers and Dominators. Most Controllers are expected to rely on the Control set for damage, while Dominators have a secondary devoted to damage. However, a conundrum arises. Because of Containment, Controllers actually do more damage with Control powers than Dominators do. In some cases, like Gravity>Lift they actually do better DPA than most of the Assault set powers. Because of Shiver's huge area of effect, much bigger than any Assault power, this is something to watch out for. Controllers would do more damage with it than Dominators; this might be okay but also might be the start of problems.

I do think Ice Control needs more damage, but also think that should be part of an overall evaluation of the Control sets. 

Side note: should Controller and Dominator versions of control sets be the same to begin with?