Weekly Discussion 77: Designing an Epic Archetype for Praetorian Earth

GM ColdSpark

3 minutes ago, Darmian said:

I have a question here: Simply put, if you're not going to be in Praetoria as a full Praetorian, then what is the point of this entire thread?  What VEATs and HEATs we have really come into their own after 20, and presumably a variety of Gold EAT will do the same. So I doubt the 1 to 20 arc from Nova to Neutropolis is going to radically change, so the majority of Gold origin toons will leave at 20ish for Primal earth and that then ties them tenuously into the arc for the New Praetorians or the Rogue Isles equivalent.  And from then on they are, effectively, Primal toons apart from what badges they earn.  That's it. 

But it doesn't have to be like that.

We, know and it is done, that characters can continue on as Praetorians after 20 via First Ward and into Night Ward. Setting PEAT storyline here would I think be far more interesting, and lead on further than just trying to slot them into parallel arcs that exist for Rift crossers at level 20. Indeed a secondary option to cross to Primal WITHOUT naturalizing as such around level 40 would provide a lot of interesting content. (Why should they not naturalize? Well, Primals can wander in and out of Praetoria at will without ever being required to lose their contacts or background from Level 1, asking that a Praetorian be accorded at least that at level 40(!) is hardly unreasonable I feel.)

And yes, I do have a vested interest in this since a majority of my toons are Gold, if you're going to go that route post 20 with PEATS you have to offer the same incentives to those who follow that route who are not PEATS.

Again, It really boils down to the 20s.  If you're going to end up leaving, and no work is done to allow for not, I really don't see the point of this.

This is what me and my VG are currently doing, going through the entire praetorian realms. I think the PEATs should have their own "break free" or "hive mind" arcs just as there is a Loyalist and Resistance arcs. 

Ultimately, at lvl 20 its break off to go to 1st Ward and then on to Night Ward, and finally a new zone based entirely around Praetoria Hamidon that takes you to 50 if you go the break free route, but, if you choose to stay loyal to Hami then through the regular arcs to defeat Tyrant and his cohorts.

• Like 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

3 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

This is what me and my VG are currently doing, going through the entire praetorian realms. I think the PEATs should have their own "break free" or "hive mind" arcs just as there is a Loyalist and Resistance arcs. 

Ultimately, at lvl 20 its break off to go to 1st Ward and then on to Night Ward, and finally a new zone based entirely around Praetoria Hamidon that takes you to 50 if you go the break free route, but, if you choose to stay loyal to Hami then through the regular arcs to defeat Tyrant and his cohorts.

I like this.  I'm just arguing that non PEATS be accorded the same work so that they too can stay via FW and NW and follow that path. Resistance members that fight on against DUST and so on without fleeing to Primal to "aid the cause", because frankly they never aid the cause until they get to 50 and do an iTrial.  I don't even know why some Loyalists leave in the first place! The third option is always missing for both. Be Loyal to your Emperor and stay or be avowedly against Cole and stay.  

Right this is semi wandering off piste but is adjacent plot-content-wise i feel to the discussion.

I return you to your regular broadcasting!

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

1 minute ago, Darmian said:

I like this.  I'm just arguing that non PEATS be accorded the same work so that they too can stay via FW and NW and follow that path. Resistance members that fight on against DUST and so on without fleeing to Primal to "aid the cause", because frankly they never aid the cause until they get to 50 and do an iTrial.  I don't even know why some Loyalists leave in the first place! The third option is always missing for both. Be Loyal to your Emperor and stay or be avowedly against Cole and stay.  

Right this is semi wandering off piste but is adjacent plot-content-wise i feel to the discussion.

I return you to your regular broadcasting!

Yeah, its sort of a pain to actually continue on to 1st Ward, you have to go to primal to go back?!?

There should just be a way to get shipped there like the DUST rangers or underground for the resistance. Unless, I missed something major.

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

Just now, The_Warpact said:

Yeah, its sort of a pain to actually continue on to 1st Ward, you have to go to primal to go back?!?

There should just be a way to get shipped there like the DUST rangers or underground for the resistance. Unless, I missed something major.

I went there via Underground Imperial. There's a Carnival Doorkeeper that allows you to pass through.  

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

1 minute ago, Darmian said:

I went there via Underground Imperial. There's a Carnival Doorkeeper that allows you to pass through.  

Yeah did that, but, had to finish arc which puts you in Shark, then to Cap to talk to another contact to send you to the Doorkeeper in the underground. 

Mind you this was everything I read off the wiki, and thats the way we did it.

Oh, I didn't explain clearly.  I didn't (and still haven't) done the Rift Enclosure mission.  I just went to the Doorkeeper and he sent me to FW and on I went, still Gold.

Just now, Darmian said:

Oh, I didn't explain clearly.  I didn't (and still haven't) done the Rift Enclosure mission.  I just went to the Doorkeeper and he sent me to FW and on I went, still Gold.

Ah ok that explains that, yeah, its rather vague.

So with all the digression, apart from people choosing not to follow the arcs, the story of the VEATs is all about being in the Rogue Isles, the story of the HEATS is all about being in Paragon, and the story of any PEAT should, should be all about being in Praetoria, not just leaving at level 20.(*)

* and if that path is followed then I say equal opportunity be given to those non PEATS who also stay.

But back to discussions on what the PEATS could even be!

Edited by Darmian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Darmian said:

I have a question here: Simply put, if you're not going to be in Praetoria as a full Praetorian, then what is the point of this entire thread? 

Again, It really boils down to the 20s.  If you're going to end up leaving, and no work is done to allow for not, I really don't see the point of this.

This is one of the reasons why I prefer the Hamidon/Hybrid approach: The Praetorian Lore is such a mess after level 20, I would be perfectly happy to lean into quasi-reformed ATs having escaped to Primal Earth, or just running around the Wards, even if that would be somewhat odd form a story perspective. The other reason I prefer the Hamidon/Hybrid approach to PEATs (besides the pun) is that I feel like there are enough different powers/animations already in the game that we can apply 'eco-friendly recycling' to make somewhat unique ATs. (Controls, Pet Summons, Attacks, Buffs... and BEES!)

I like the other ideas in this thread. However I feel like those might just be niche power sets: cool to play, but not radically different than what can be made in the current game.

• Like 1

This is what my Vanquisher is doing now. Staying loyal. I've ignored Marchand's offer to go to primal and have continued grinding in the two Wards. Now Level 43 and still gold 😃

I don't mind if the promise of seeing Goldside into full fruition doesn't happen overnight. In fact I prefer that the devs take their time with it. It is already standing on some very solid foundations. the continuation of content that lets us get to incarnates without going primal should be worth the wait. 

Long Live Emperor Cole
... Bobcat is hot
(and Neuron's a douche)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Six Six said:

This is what my Vanquisher is doing now. Staying loyal. I've ignored Marchand's offer to go to primal and have continued grinding in the two Wards. Now Level 43 and still gold 😃

I don't mind if the promise of seeing Goldside into full fruition doesn't happen overnight. In fact I prefer that the devs take their time with it. It is already standing on some very solid foundations. the continuation of content that lets us get to incarnates without going primal should be worth the wait. 

Long Live Emperor Cole
... Bobcat is hot
(and Neuron's a douche)

Gold Loyalist Incarnate here.  (Getting Duncan to give me that Praetor Badge was sweet) Long Live the Emperor!

• Like 3

Hamidon inspired/storied Epic for Gold side seems fitting to me. It could make sense lore wise and offer a unique reason to play gold side (post magisterium story line) where hamidon of Praetoria isn't as evil as Cole made it out to be.

Edit:

I'll take it a step further and suggest that a newly Hamidon themed epic AT include three "stances" which offer benefits similar to each yellow, blue, and green mito. Add a touch of unresistable damage perhaps...

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Like 3

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

2 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

Ah ok that explains that, yeah, its rather vague.

Agreed.  The option to bypass the portal and go straight to FW/NW while staying gold should be more clearly written into the game.  It's there if you look, but if you miss it you end up taking the round trip.

That's what happened on my stalker run-though.  I was using the "Switch Sides Every Time" guide to play out Goldside in long-form.  I didn't realize until after I walked through the portal that I didn't need to in order to get to FW/NW and remain Gold as the story for the character (in my head) played out.

Editing existing dialog seems like a pretty low priority, but adding either a brief side-arc or just a bit of explanation of the two Wards with the option to go that direction would smooth out that transition and give it some meaning.

As to giving them something to do, don't the repsective EATs have their own contacts and an arc or two on both red and blue sides?

Really liking the DE/Hami based ideas, but how would that even be written as a player character.  DE are all about devouring, and Hami just wants to see the world figuratively burn.  Thoughts on *why* a powered being linked to Hami and the DE would end up, effectively, switching sides?

Following the "additional content" for Praetoria tangent for a moment (aka circling back to @Piecemeal's comments): iTrials aren't the only way to get there. Belladonna's "After the fall" arc is quite good.  So is the one from Number Six.

If original Praetoria is 1-20, then FW/NW can take one into the 40s, a zone that is half Last Bastion and half Metronome's space station could be Goldside's "Dark Astoria".  Bastion trying to survive, Metronome trying to take over and install a new Cole-Style dictatorship.  I guess AM going critical complicates that story-wise (I'd have to read through the arcs again to be sure), but IIRC there is space for more to happen after the events of Number Six.

Not something that the fine folks of Paragon/Rogue Isles need to worry about (but obviously, if they wanted to ...), but something where Gold Incarnates could choose to attempt to reclaim their home.

Long story, still too long.  No more iTrials in the Praetorian story.  If Gold gets more arcs, give it a Dark Astoria style zone. Yes, I know this is beyond both the scope of the thread and the capability of the current resources available.

Edited by InvaderStych
  • Like 2

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

2 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

Really liking the DE/Hami based ideas, but how would that even be written as a player character.  DE are all about devouring, and Hami just wants to see the world figuratively burn.  Thoughts on *why* a powered being linked to Hami and the DE would end up, effectively, switching sides?

Well this can go 2 ways, perhaps its a Tellurian infected citizen who "wakes up" and fights back or stays a part of the hivemind.

Or its a DE who rebels or fights to take down Cole.

We have whip attacks, so I wonder how hard it would be to convert that to "tentacle " attacks.

I do believe that Praetoria Hamidon, was supposed to be all tentacles, claws, etc. So this would fit.

Alot of possibilities, but, Gold side is all about choosing sides.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

If players can rationalize using Patron powers on their blueside characters, I don't think we need anything more than a paper-thin excuse for PEATs... if that.

Without burning too many brain cells on a rationalization: It could be possible that as part of the Cole/Hamidon 'pact' one or both side was working on a method of 'infiltrating' the other, which resulted in hybrids with a semblance of free will. We already have seen that Primal Pyriss was given some amount of free will.

• Like 1

I want to echo the suggestion made early in the thread about a plant-themed EAT for Praetoria. My latest goldsider is a plant/thorns dom, whose backstory is that she was the result of Praetorian attempts to breed/genetically engineer a human/plant hybrid capable of resisting Hamidon’s influence & begin to win back the world outside the city repulsion fences for humanity.  But her designers built her too well - she proves able to resist not only Hamidon’s siren call, but also the control of the Seer Network, & dedicates herself to freeing living & growing things from both Hamidonian & Praetorian control - both of which she sees as perversions of nature.

A plant-based EAT would be distinctive & appropriate for a world largely destroyed by war & ecological destruction.

• Like 1

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

You know, it SHOULD be possible to go straight to FW after the might vrs right arc with loyalists and all those ijjuts. 

Since FW starts at 20, why not shunt them to red or blue with an align mish different from the current exit mish for praetoria, with a one way ticket direct to FW after the initial shunt?

All the ideas here sound great! Lets hope for something cool!

I've pondered a few ideas for this before, but ultimately I decided to use the content over in my other thread (Eco-Friendly Powerset Recycling) to create the Force, Pain, Power, Artillery and Arsenal powersets from various NPC factions seen throughout the Praetorian content.

With those in mind, I figured one of the easiest ways to go would be to create Loyalist and Resistance themed EATs and making use of the various NPC only powers they have access to.

RESISTANCE COMMANDO

Spoiler

Resistance Commando - Starting Path

100px-ResistanceFighter1.jpg
The Resistance Commando is the generic Resistance fighter, using a makeshift rifle jury-rigged to pierce PPD armor, as well as exo-armor to help them toughen up. They begin as part of the Resistance alignment, and report to whichever faction they choose (Wardens and Crusaders). They are locked to Resistance alignment until they make it to Primal Earth, or if they go 'undercover', unlocking their second costume slot either way.

Your starting appearance will be that of a normal Resistance member (as above), but with as many bits of the armor as you please. Faces and hairstyles can be anything you want just like VEATs. Color choices are entirely up to you, so you could even go gold or purple if you wanted that Runesoldier aesthetic! 

Primary - Power Rifle

The Power Rifle powerset uses the unique rifle based attacks utilised by many of the Resistance NPCs, a simple lethal weapon that has multiple fire modes.

Example Powers:

Burst

Heavy Burst

Single Shot

Covering Fire

Secondary - Survival

The Survival powerset is a self buff powerset that displays the Resistance's tenacity and endurance. Powers in this powerset are a mixture of willpower-style resistance buffs as well as a few minor gadgets to help them in the field such as the power-punching exo skeleton each of them possess.

Example Powers:

Survivor

Exo Rig

Power Punch

Resistance Heavy - Tanky Path

170px-ResistanceHeavyBarrel1.jpg

The Resistance Heavy is inspired by two different NPC types; The 'Heavy Hands' and the "Heavy Barrel", combining their skills into a formidable tanky style of play.

Primary - Heavy Cannon

The Heavy Cannon is a weapon used by the Heavy Barrel NPCs, and focuses on delivering heavy shots that can decimate multiple foes. There aren't many attacks, but that can change with a few more additions.

Example Powers:

Snap Shot

HE Shot

AP Round

Secondary - Exo Rig

The Exo Rig powerset brings more melee and protection to the player, using all the 'Heavy Hands' melee attacks, as well as greater protective gear.

Example Powers:

Heavy Rig

Bone Smasher

Resistance Officer - Stealthy Path

100px-ResistanceVeteran1.jpg

The Resistance Officer trades raw power for subtlety and style. This path rewards being more discreet and tactical.

Primary - Auto Pistols

Using the unique dual pistols that many Resistance officers and named NPCs have, we can create a good powerset that has a little more flair than the typical resistance rifle.

Example Powers:

Snap Shots

Fusillade

Aimed Shot

Overcharged Shots

Secondary - Gadgets

Some resistance members even use gadgets similar to the Devices powerset, so including some of those into this archetype path seems very fitting.

Example Powers:

Cloaking Field

Targeting Drone

Trip Mine

LOYALIST TROOPER

Spoiler

Loyalist Trooper - Starting Path

100px-AssaultTrooper2.jpg

Loyalists Troopers are the archetypical soldier of the Loyalist forces, whether they are PPD, TEST or IDF. They begin as part of the loyalist alignment, and report to whichever faction they choose (Responsibility and Power). They are locked to Loyalist alignment until they make it to Primal Earth, or if they go 'undercover', unlocking their second costume slot either way.

Your standard appearance will be an IDF ranger as pictured above, but with access to some of the unique armor choices as seen on the Heavy Troopers and Commanders too, so you have a little more variety to play with. Color options, face and hair styles are all up to you!

Primary - Power Gauntlets

The primary powerset of this archetype is the power gauntlets. Firing off blasts of force energy and delivering powerful punches.

Example Powers:

Force Bolts

Force Burst

Force Brawl

Force Maul

Secondary - Force Shields

The secondary powerset for Loyalist Troopers is their force shields. A little more sturdy than that of the generic NPCs, they have good defensive capabilities and utility.

Example Powers:

Kinetic Shield

Force Armor

Loyalist Heavy Trooper - Damage Path

100px-IDFHeavyTrooper2.jpg

You know those guys with the huge missile pods on their back? Those guys. Similar to Crab Spiders, you have a weaponised rig on your back that allows for delivery of most of your attacks.

Primary - Missile Rig

The missile rig fires a multitude of different projectiles at your foes, from focused volleys to area salvos. Very similar to blast sets, but with a little more area focus.

Example Powers:
Missile Barrage

Missile Volley

EMP Rockets

Nerve Gas Rockets

Secondary - Heavy Shields

Supplementing this path with heavier shields is going to help them out more, focusing purely on self buffs.

Example Powers:

Heavy Shield

Advanced Force Armor

Loyalist Commander - Support Path

100px-IDFCommander2.jpg

The commander path is similar to Crabs in a different regard. They get the ability to summon drones into combat, including blast and shield drones.

Primary - Enhanced Gauntlets

Enhanced Gauntlets function a little like Night Widow training, having few powers of their own, intended to be supplemental to the primary instead of outright replacing it.

Example Powers:

Force Netting

Force Cage

Force Shockwave

Impact Bomb

Secondary - Field Command

Field Command focuses away from self buffs, and instead provides several steam buffs and the ability to summon drones.

Example Powers:

Summon Battle Orb

Summon Shield Orb

Summon Augmentation Orb

Leadership

Neither PEATs will have ancillary powers as they progress. Instead, they will be able to pick powers from all paths later in their career (unlike VEATs that can only have their starter path and one other path of their choosing).

Sources Used:

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/The_Resistance

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Imperial_Defense_Force
https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Praetorian_Police_Department
https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/UPA

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Piecemeal said:

Plot-wise, Neuron is MIA and Anti-Matter committed seppuku in the Underground. Metronome now runs Anti-Matter's space station.

Oh, well, Neuron could be something to play with...

Still this is why I hate the epilogue missions form G and Provost >< could've left tilman being a **** in praetoria with Neuron and White retreating to the other city. They both came off as shoehorned wrap ups to throw praetoria it's last bone, yet Tilman is spared any kind of justice because she wants to make amends? There are a lot of Seers mentally torn apart that would like a word and lets not forget the drug addiction Mr White perpetuated.

I really hope when Praetoria is rid of hamidon, gold gets it's last option as resistance or loyalist and chooses whether to rule or to give it back to the people.

The Undying

Hamidon has destroyed the world, all of humanity has perished. But in Night Ward, the huge influx of the dead has taken it's toll and the veil between the living and the dead is as frail as ever before. Montague Castanella desperately tries for one last attempt to save humanity.

Once a character has earned the badge "One of the Eight", Montague will contact them for a mission to save Praetoria. This mission will ultimately end with the character failing to stop Hamidon and dying in the process. Montague will then use the Manual of the Dead to reanimate your character as an Undying, to once again take to final fight to Hamidon.

Your old character will be greyed out in the character screen and un-selectable. You will then create a new character that can choose any one of the ATs but must select as least either a primary or secondary one that is Dark, Darkness, or Necromancy. Their origin would be set to Magic. This character will be granted experience to get to level 20 and given the following additional abilities:

(Innate Bonus) Undying Stamina: All powers have a 15% end reduction, this bonus is affected by diminishing returns. This bonus grows to 20% at level 30, 25% at level 40, and 30% at level 50.
(Power) Incorporeal Locomotion: This would be the same as Flight.
(Power) Deathless Rebirth: This would be similar to Rise of the Phoenix without the damage portion.

If the character is defeated, they must use Deathless Rebirth as no other form of revive will work.

Seeing the character trying to adjust to their new state, Montague will send the character back in time and recommend that they go and gain experience in their new undying form and come back to him when they are ready.

At levels 25, 30, 35, 40, and 45 the character will go back to Montague for specialized missions to unlock their Undying abilities.

At Level 25:
(Power) Ghost Form: This would be similar to the Invisibility power from the Concealment Pool.

At Level 30:
(Innate Bonus) Undying Strength: All powers have a 15% damage boost, this bonus is affected by diminishing returns. This bonus grows to 20% at level 40, and 25% at level 50.
(Power) Netherworld Blast: This would be similar to Arcane Bolt from the Sorcery Pool.

At Level 35:
(Power) Haunting Presence: This would be similar to Invoke Panic from the Presence Pool.

At Level 40:
(Innate Bonus) Undying Resistance: A 5% bonus to all resistances. This bonus grows to 10% at level 50.
(Power) Incorporeal Form: This would be similar to the Phase Shift power from the Concealment pool.

At Level 45:
(Power) Undying Ward: Similar to the Spirit Ward power from the Sorcery pool but affects the character.

At level 50, the character will be called on to permanently damage Hamidon and save Praetoria. Once completed the character will gain the following ability:

(Power) Undying Rebirth: This power would allow the character to switch between the Undying character and their old original character which would no longer be greyed out. It would have a long cooldown but would allow for the switching of characters in the middle of missions or TFs. Basically giving the character a chance to once again interact with the world as who they once were before their death.

The idea behind this is to allow for a character to grow after reaching level 50 (or at least after level 35) without adding in new levels, and give access to pool powers that might not normally be chosen. It would also leverage existing game mechanics and powers in a hopefully fun and new way.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Dracomicon said:

The Undying

Everything about this is amazing!  Particularly the seamless fit into existing lore and the Praetoria timeline without re-treading old ground.  Love the idea of selecting any AT with a locked origin and the "must choose 1 dark something" requirements, and the progression path with reward for finishing the arc at 50.

It also does not seem that out of bounds in terms of scope in order to implement.

<<Take My Money Meme Goes Here>>

Edited by InvaderStych

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

2 minutes ago, Night said:

Making your character unplayable because you wanna try a new AT is a terrible, bad decision and gets a huge NO

At level 50, the original character becomes playable again with the ability to switch between the two characters without going to the loading screen. It's a temporary thing to make the change also feel like an initial loss and the start of something new.

38 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

RESISTANCE COMMANDO

Reveal hidden contents

Resistance Commando - Starting Path

100px-ResistanceFighter1.jpg
The Resistance Commando is the generic Resistance fighter, using a makeshift rifle jury-rigged to pierce PPD armor, as well as exo-armor to help them toughen up. They begin as part of the Resistance alignment, and report to whichever faction they choose (Wardens and Crusaders). They are locked to Resistance alignment until they make it to Primal Earth, or if they go 'undercover', unlocking their second costume slot either way.

Your starting appearance will be that of a normal Resistance member (as above), but with as many bits of the armor as you please. Faces and hairstyles can be anything you want just like VEATs. Color choices are entirely up to you, so you could even go gold or purple if you wanted that Runesoldier aesthetic! 

Primary - Power Rifle

The Power Rifle powerset uses the unique rifle based attacks utilised by many of the Resistance NPCs, a simple lethal weapon that has multiple fire modes.

Example Powers:

Burst

Heavy Burst

Single Shot

Covering Fire

Secondary - Survival

The Survival powerset is a self buff powerset that displays the Resistance's tenacity and endurance. Powers in this powerset are a mixture of willpower-style resistance buffs as well as a few minor gadgets to help them in the field such as the power-punching exo skeleton each of them possess.

Example Powers:

Survivor

Exo Rig

Power Punch

Resistance Heavy - Tanky Path

170px-ResistanceHeavyBarrel1.jpg

The Resistance Heavy is inspired by two different NPC types; The 'Heavy Hands' and the "Heavy Barrel", combining their skills into a formidable tanky style of play.

Primary - Heavy Cannon

The Heavy Cannon is a weapon used by the Heavy Barrel NPCs, and focuses on delivering heavy shots that can decimate multiple foes. There aren't many attacks, but that can change with a few more additions.

Example Powers:

Snap Shot

HE Shot

AP Round

Secondary - Exo Rig

The Exo Rig powerset brings more melee and protection to the player, using all the 'Heavy Hands' melee attacks, as well as greater protective gear.

Example Powers:

Heavy Rig

Bone Smasher

Resistance Officer - Stealthy Path

100px-ResistanceVeteran1.jpg

The Resistance Officer trades raw power for subtlety and style. This path rewards being more discreet and tactical.

Primary - Auto Pistols

Using the unique dual pistols that many Resistance officers and named NPCs have, we can create a good powerset that has a little more flair than the typical resistance rifle.

Example Powers:

Snap Shots

Fusillade

Aimed Shot

Overcharged Shots

Secondary - Gadgets

Some resistance members even use gadgets similar to the Devices powerset, so including some of those into this archetype path seems very fitting.

Example Powers:

Cloaking Field

Targeting Drone

Trip Mine

LOYALIST TROOPER

Reveal hidden contents

Loyalist Trooper - Starting Path

100px-AssaultTrooper2.jpg

Loyalists Troopers are the archetypical soldier of the Loyalist forces, whether they are PPD, TEST or IDF. They begin as part of the loyalist alignment, and report to whichever faction they choose (Responsibility and Power). They are locked to Loyalist alignment until they make it to Primal Earth, or if they go 'undercover', unlocking their second costume slot either way.

Your standard appearance will be an IDF ranger as pictured above, but with access to some of the unique armor choices as seen on the Heavy Troopers and Commanders too, so you have a little more variety to play with. Color options, face and hair styles are all up to you!

Primary - Power Gauntlets

The primary powerset of this archetype is the power gauntlets. Firing off blasts of force energy and delivering powerful punches.

Example Powers:

Force Bolts

Force Burst

Force Brawl

Force Maul

Secondary - Force Shields

The secondary powerset for Loyalist Troopers is their force shields. A little more sturdy than that of the generic NPCs, they have good defensive capabilities and utility.

Example Powers:

Kinetic Shield

Force Armor

Loyalist Heavy Trooper - Damage Path

100px-IDFHeavyTrooper2.jpg

You know those guys with the huge missile pods on their back? Those guys. Similar to Crab Spiders, you have a weaponised rig on your back that allows for delivery of most of your attacks.

Primary - Missile Rig

The missile rig fires a multitude of different projectiles at your foes, from focused volleys to area salvos. Very similar to blast sets, but with a little more area focus.

Example Powers:
Missile Barrage

Missile Volley

EMP Rockets

Nerve Gas Rockets

Secondary - Heavy Shields

Supplementing this path with heavier shields is going to help them out more, focusing purely on self buffs.

Example Powers:

Heavy Shield

Advanced Force Armor

Loyalist Commander - Support Path

100px-IDFCommander2.jpg

The commander path is similar to Crabs in a different regard. They get the ability to summon drones into combat, including blast and shield drones.

Primary - Enhanced Gauntlets

Enhanced Gauntlets function a little like Night Widow training, having few powers of their own, intended to be supplemental to the primary instead of outright replacing it.

Example Powers:

Force Netting

Force Cage

Force Shockwave

Impact Bomb

Secondary - Field Command

Field Command focuses away from self buffs, and instead provides several steam buffs and the ability to summon drones.

Example Powers:

Summon Battle Orb

Summon Shield Orb

Summon Augmentation Orb

Leadership

Those are great and fit the theme the EAT's have turned to, I may have a bias towards the massive rocket pack, but I still like them!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1