The Future - An Open Letter from the Homecoming Team

Jimmy

<nonsense and idiocy>

My dear child:

Your manner of posting makes think you are either a young juvenile and perhaps below the threshold of the min age for this game, who is pouting and throwing a temper tantrum because “you want it all right now” and someone asked you to behave.

OR

A teenage troll who got your parents permission to play and just like to act jerky on purpose because it’s “funny”.

What you do not come across is as an adult, who can communicate civilly, treat others with basic respect, and be constructive in your conversations.

If I am wrong, please prove it, by apologizing and being civil,

OR prove me right by continuing to post in this manner.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Yup!

1. Homecoming = NOT NCSoft.

2. Homecoming = Offers game for no cost, unless you choose to donate.

3. Homecoming = No obligation to anyone.

Do they want to improve things?  Of course they do

Will what they plan to do ever happen as fast as all players want it to?  Of course it won't. 

Will those changes affect the exact parts of the game that every player sees as THE huge problem with the game?  No, it absolutely won't.

Will those unhappy players stick around and complain about that, rather than have some patience to see how things develop over the course of a year, as opposed to just two months it's been back in existence?  Most likely.

Does the Homecoming team, just perhaps, have some insight into the game that regular players are blissfully ignorant of, and that they have to look at things globally, taking into account balance issues, and game mechanics across the board; rather than doing what's popular?  Yeah, I think so.

Will the aforementioned unhappy players be willing to pitch into the effort, rather than waiting for it to happen, and complaining when the changes made are not the ones they consider to be the bane of the game?  Typically their nature is to wait for others to do things for them, and complain about the results.  But, I'd love to be proven wrong on that one.  Historically speaking though, the odds are against it.

I'm sure the homecoming team would completely disagree with you. Do you think they are done after the first release, will just ignore bugs, balance issues, and everything else? Do you think they are going to leave things as they are now and just say: 'Screw it. It's good enough. This is our home. The players don't mean anything we'll just ignore everybody, even people with valid suggestions.' I don't think so. Expect some major patches. My attack wasn't aimed towards the awesome team working on this, it was towards YOU, and the ho-humming ridiculous notion that just because they revived a dead game they are going to stop there. That this world is perfect now because said dead game is back. We can all just breathe deep and accept the bugs and brute overlords and leave every other AT in the garbage. You, my good sir, are the epitome of SLOTH. Go ahead and pull out your Porky Pig mask and tell people: 'that's all folks!'

If that's what you got out of everything I have been saying since the very beginning, then you are so wrapped up in your own little bubble of reality, that you read into it what you wanted.  I never said they would not be changing things, or even that some things didn't need to be fixed.  I look forward to everything coming down the road.  I have total faith in their ability to take the game in fun directions. 

My whole point is that, while I have faith these things will happen, and am perfectly willing to wait for it to be done the right way.  I am in no rush, because there is no need to be.  There is so much to enjoy about the game, that I don't dwell on the things that might need some changing/tweeking.  I just keep playing, and having fun, in anticipation of the next great thing coming our way.  But, I don't, or condone those that do, resort to complaining about minutiae that waits for fixing, or bang the table for big changes to come my way.  In other words, I'm not in it for the short term.  I'm in it for the long haul, just like I was during the original 8 years I played it when it was live. 

So, take your "attacks" no matter whom they are aimed at, and go elsewhere with them.  I have no interest, and refuse to validate any of your entitle perspective on this game.  Feel free to head over to the Cox/g environment where other trolls gather. 

Backed ME into a corner?  You give yourself FAR too much credit sir.

I appreciate you standing up for yourself. *extends a hand*

That is all that I am saying. This server is great, but there are things that need addressed.

Yup!

Will what they plan to do ever happen as fast as all players want it to?  Of course it won't. 

Will those changes affect the exact parts of the game that every player sees as THE huge problem with the game?  No, it absolutely won't.

Will those unhappy players stick around and complain about that, rather than have some patience to see how things develop over the course of a year, as opposed to just two months it's been back in existence?  Most likely.

Does the Homecoming team, just perhaps, have some insight into the game that regular players are blissfully ignorant of, and that they have to look at things globally, taking into account balance issues, and game mechanics across the board; rather than doing what's popular?  Yeah, I think so.

Will the aforementioned unhappy players be willing to pitch into the effort, rather than waiting for it to happen, and complaining when the changes made are not the ones they consider to be the bane of the game?  Typically their nature is to wait for others to do things for them, and complain about the results.  But, I'd love to be proven wrong on that one.  Historically speaking though, the odds are against it.

I'm sure the homecoming team would completely disagree with you. Do you think they are done after the first release, will just ignore bugs, balance issues, and everything else? Do you think they are going to leave things as they are now and just say: 'Screw it. It's good enough. This is our home. The players don't mean anything we'll just ignore everybody, even people with valid suggestions.' I don't think so. Expect some major patches. My attack wasn't aimed towards the awesome team working on this, it was towards YOU, and the ho-humming ridiculous notion that just because they revived a dead game they are going to stop there. That this world is perfect now because said dead game is back. We can all just breathe deep and accept the bugs and brute overlords and leave every other AT in the garbage. You, my good sir, are the epitome of SLOTH. Go ahead and pull out your Porky Pig mask and tell people: 'that's all folks!'

If that's what you got out of everything I have been saying since the very beginning, then you are so wrapped up in your own little bubble of reality, that you read into it what you wanted.  I never said they would not be changing things, or even that some things didn't need to be fixed.  I look forward to everything coming down the road.  I have total faith in their ability to take the game in fun directions. 

My whole point is that, while I have faith these things will happen, and am perfectly willing to wait for it to be done the right way.  I am in no rush, because there is no need to be.  There is so much to enjoy about the game, that I don't dwell on the things that might need some changing/tweeking.  I just keep playing, and having fun, in anticipation of the next great thing coming our way.  But, I don't, or condone those that do, resort to complaining about minutiae that waits for fixing, or bang the table for big changes to come my way.  In other words, I'm not in it for the short term.  I'm in it for the long haul, just like I was during the original 8 years I played it when it was live. 

So, take your "attacks" no matter whom they are aimed at, and go elsewhere with them.  I have no interest, and refuse to validate any of your entitle perspective on this game.  Feel free to head over to the Cox/g environment where other trolls gather. 

That is all that I am saying. This server is great, but there are things that need addressed.

*hand accepted as a handshake, rather than any attempt to require being lifted from the ground*

The Homecoming team is great.  The game is great, and deserving of every improvement, and update that the Homecoming team will give it in the future.  I look forward to all of it.  Apparently, in these things we agree.

As for standing up for myself, never mistake my civility with the reticence to aggressively defend myself, as weakness.  I can assure you that is not the case.  If I didn't know how beforehand, my time in the Marine Corps (likely before you were even born) opened my eyes to a lot of the unpleasant truths of the world.  So debating over a game is not something I typically feel the need to go the the extremes to engage, or defend.  No denigration intended.  Just the truth of the matter.

What was no more, is REBORN!

Yup!

*hand accepted as a handshake, rather than any attempt to require being lifted from the ground*

The Homecoming team is great.  The game is great, and deserving of every improvement, and update that the Homecoming team will give it in the future.  I look forward to all of it.  Apparently, in these things we agree.

As for standing up for myself, never mistake my civility with the reticence to aggressively defend myself, as weakness.  I can assure you that is not the case.  If I didn't know how beforehand, my time in the Marine Corps (likely before you were even born) opened my eyes to a lot of the unpleasant truths of the world.  So debating over a game is not something I typically feel the need to go the the extremes to engage, or defend.  No denigration intended.  Just the truth of the matter.

Thank you for your service. Respect.

I am seriously tired of this bullshit excuse to not fix parts of the game. "Oh I'm just glad that City of Heroes is back. Warts and all." Dude, that was like forever ago. That horse is dead and the shock of the game being back is gone too. So absolutely YES, It's best to move on and fix shit that's broken and rebalance everything. You don't just stop and smell the roses in game development and think that things will fix themselves. There are multitudes of problems that need addressed right now.

No excuse is needed.  We are not customers of Homecoming.  They are not charging you for the priviledge of playing.  You are a guest, and not entitled to anything, except what the host chooses to provide.  This is a private server, essentially someone else's home.

If you are seriously tired, then you have 3 options:

1.) Step away, it's just a game and if it's really causing you such stress maybe you need to do something different

2.) Go somewhere else - there are other private servers available to you.  Maybe they will be to your liking?

3.) Start your own server.  The notes are out there, and then you are the master of your own destiny and everything can be your way

Or, maybe you aren't that seriously tired, and then maybe you should learn to be content with what you have and not all the things you don't have.

And what nice hosts HC are, because they are listening to the community and choosing to spend their volunteer time to provide improvements we are asking for.

Enjoy your stay..the hosts are really nice and treat us with respect.  Please show the same as a good guest

This.  Wonderful analogy :)

• Like 1

First—kudos to justicebeliever on their response. Fantastic.

Second—some of the concerns that have been brought up I will mirror briefly:

1. The DFB epidemic. It is an epidemic when 4 out of 5 messages in LFG (I'm on Everlasting) are calling for DFB or DiB.

2. Some things are too easy. Incarnate level material should just be difficult to run. It's end game content and the sense of epicness (my new word for the day) is lost when leveling is easy, trials are easy, and the like.

In addition, not having prestige to earn things for SG bases is another example of things made too easy. Back during live, prestige was there to add that sense of accomplishment. You worked for what you got and it was good to get everyone in your SG in on that. Now, everyone has everything and there is not fun in having a base that you don't have to work for. It's just a suppository for doing everything else easy in the game. I'm sure a system can be implemented where there's a balance between what was and what we have. Maybe have some things that are free but the more desirable things (bigger plots, multiple enhancement tables and salvage racks, supercolliders, merit vendor machines, invention tables, etc) cost prestige and must be earned. Something better than the "everything is free" that we have now. If we want some semblance of what is from the source material—comic books—then having some of those things have to be earned. Or maybe have a special story arcs you have to run to get some of the more esoteric material. Free all of the time just takes away from the sense of heroes working hard for truth, justice, and freedom. Those things don't come free.  :)

Thumbs up however for having the notoriety and difficulty easily accessible. That rocks. Also the double merits TF is off the chain. And making travel powers accessible from jump. That just always annoyed me during live.

Thank you for your hard work and for bringing back this cherished game. Much love to you for that.

...there is not fun in having a base that you don't have to work for...

There is no fun in not having to worry about prestige for those who enjoy the art of base-building, because earning prestige is NOT part of the fun of designing and building bases. If I want to level quickly to 50 there are numerous avenues open to me to earn XP quickly. If I want to IO out my builds from level 10 to 50 with the sets that I want, regardless of cost, there are ways that I can actively earn influence quickly. If I want to build a kick-ass base with tons of space and have anything I want in it, if you got your way, I can......have no choices whatsoever to actively gain prestige, aside from inviting players to join and treating them like prestige-monkeys. Not something I'd be ok with.

So, working for prestige might be fun to you, however, it would be a step backward for what the actual fun of base-building is about.

Not to mention that back when the game was live you could buy prestige for influence, and it was dirt simple to become a billionaire. That was done, no doubt, so that base builders could actually apply their creativity.

I'm going to wade into this:

Thanks to the Homecoming team.  You guys are doing an unenviable task.

To the people loading hate on them already, simmer down.

1)  Quit telling people that other people are "doing fun wrong".  If someone wants to power level to 50 in a weekend and then pleasure themselves all day standing on top of Atlas, hey, to each their own.  If they want to take 3 months to level to 50 by slowly soloing the content at Level -1 difficulty, also great.

2) The Homecoming team didn't code CoX.  NCSoft/Cryptic did.  So bugs dating back to an engine that _was dead for 7 years_ aren't really their fault.  Give them a moment to start fixing stuff.

3) You're not paying a subscription.  There is no webstore for costume pieces.  The P2W vendor didn't ask for your credit card number.  If they want to make AE content all 0-XP, remove the DFB trial, and remove the color blue from available toon hues, they get to do it.

I'm just glad it's back, and I hope I'm online when next month's donation requests open up so I can toss $50 in.  This has made me insanely happy.

• Like 1

Everlasting server - Sister Pistols and the Perma-Newbies SG

First—kudos to justicebeliever on their response. Fantastic.

Second—some of the concerns that have been brought up I will mirror briefly:

1. The DFB epidemic. It is an epidemic when 4 out of 5 messages in LFG (I'm on Everlasting) are calling for DFB or DiB.

2. Some things are too easy. Incarnate level material should just be difficult to run. It's end game content and the sense of epicness (my new word for the day) is lost when leveling is easy, trials are easy, and the like.

Thank you for the compliment. 

DFB was already addressed in the last patch, they nerfed the XP.  Beyond that there is not much else they can do except remove the content (which seems an extreme overreaction to the “problem”) or remove the XP bonuses in game, which is kinda of their thing, so I don’t see that going anywhere either.

As for the Incarnate content - does the difficulty slider not work there?  (I really don’t know)

Final thought - some of the things you’ve addressed here are solved somewhat in other servers that are doing a more “closer to Live” version of CoX.  But be careful what you wish for, because there are several reasons that most people are flocking to HC.  Big changes to their model could turn this place into a ghost town and I would rather live with LFG spam for DFB, than having a server where no one is around to team at all

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

You worked for what you got ... have to work for...

Not here to work.

I know you also use the word earn as well.

I am here to enjoy a game, not to work, period, I am here to Play.

I do not need the Protestant Work Ethic that so many players seem to want to push on the rest of us to enjoy a game.

I don't need other players judging my 'worth' on if I have acquired the 'right badge' or 'enough prestige to rise in the SG'.

I certainly don't need people trying to tell me I value free things less than other things I acquired, that is MY choice to make, thanks.

• Thanks 1

Now, everyone has everything and there is not fun in having a base that you don't have to work for.

Don't tell my wife and daughter that. They don't realize they are not really having an extreme amount of fun applying their personal creativity to basebuilding. :)

My family and I want to give a big thank you to the Homecoming team for making basebuilding loads of fun. It is a creative outlet, like designing our character concepts. It also keeps us in game longer and provides more imaginative gameplay options. In short, we think the way they are handling bases is fantastic.

1)  Quit telling people that other people are "doing fun wrong".  If someone wants to power level to 50 in a weekend and then pleasure themselves all day standing on top of Atlas, hey, to each their own.  If they want to take 3 months to level to 50 by slowly soloing the content at Level -1 difficulty, also great.

This. My personal opinion about how they choose to play, so long as what they're doing doesn't throw obstacles in front of me, isn't important to anyone but me. That said, I have to feel a little sad when I see "Level 50 [archetype] lf anything" or "Level 50 [archetype] lf AE farm" in the LFG channel, because i know that there's enough content to keep people busy for a long, long time, and I have to wonder how much of it is people wanting their old characters back as fast as possible, and how much is from other MMOs teaching people that everything you do prior to level cap and getting twinked out for endgame raids is just makework, and the game doesn't really start until level cap, so they come here and treat it the same way, even though CoH is (at least to me) more about the journey than the destination.

But, hey, if they want to bumrush the level cap, twink themselves out to the limit, and then spam chat looking for something to do that won't exemp them down off their carefully-crafted peak of power, my only objection is with the latter. I think they're missing out on what made CoH what it was, but if the devs had genuinely wanted to stop people doing things like that, they could have easily made it impossible shortly after the first level-50 "AE babies" that didn't know how to get to Kings Row appeared.

To all of the people complaining about this or that being too easy or too hard or complaining about people using the LFG channel for what is was made for or To the people complaining about bugs- Please, please stop complaining!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let people play the way they want to play. If you don't like it leave. No one is making you stay and play. There are a lot of us old timers that can't play all day and night due to our real lives and our jobs. If you don't like to lvl so fast don't use the buffs. Turn of your exp rate or limit it, but please don't make this wonderful game and great community into your e-peen. Sorry some of us like doing DFB and DIB. Some of us like to get over the lower lvls quickly because we've done them a zillion times and we don't want to take forever to get up to lvl 20 where we are actually viable to solo missions by ourselves or pick up a group. Some of us enjoy the journey to 50 and some of us just want to join our fiends there at 50 as fast as they can. So leave us alone, Please

These Devs and the people that run these servers are wonderful people who, are you ready for this, let us play their game they resurrected. They let old people like me with limited funds and who are disabled from the military enjoy the simple pleasure of this game that most of us haven't played for 7 years... My heart is still smiling that I can play a game I never thought would come back.  :D

To you devs and server owners out there I thank you from the very bottom of my heart for bringing back my most beloved game. You guys rock. I get a lot of people who thank me for my service and I appreciate that (even though it's totally unnecessary) and I tell them back with a smile you're very welcome. Well, this is me giving you the same compliment that I often receive, Thank you all for your service that you didn't have to give us , but you did anyway. I want you to know that there are only a few toxic people out here who if you handed them a bar of gold they would complain saying "this is too heavy" or "why can't you give me more or less" instead of just being grateful for having this opportunity to play or a "bar of gold". Thank you wonderful people so much!

Complainers-Please let them know about bugs, but stop berating them! I haven't seen anything game breaking so far, but it doesn't mean it's not in here. Constructive comments work way better than complaints, so please complainers, give it a try nicely. Pretty please if that helps!

To all you people complaining, I'll tell you what our instructors used to say to us. "Shut your pie-holes, you're letting your stupid show!"

Keep up the fantastic job guys! Some of us have NO complaints, only happiness and praise.

To the complainers-if it makes you feel better to call me names and complain to me- go ahead- I got big shoulders and your salty tears taste good to me and only make me happy because I faced death and you ain't it . You can't scare an old dog with nothing to lose. This awesome game makes most of us happy so for the sake of the 99.9% of us that are appreciative and love this game, move on please.... the egress is to the right.

To all of the people complaining about this or that being too easy or too hard or complaining about people using the LFG channel for what is was made for or To the people complaining about bugs- Please, please stop complaining!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let people play the way they want to play. If you don't like it leave. No one is making you stay and play. There are a lot of us old timers that can't play all day and night due to our real lives and our jobs. If you don't like to lvl so fast don't use the buffs. Turn of your exp rate or limit it, but please don't make this wonderful game and great community into your e-peen. Sorry some of us like doing DFB and DIB. Some of us like to get over the lower lvls quickly because we've done them a zillion times and we don't want to take forever to get up to lvl 20 where we are actually viable to solo missions by ourselves or pick up a group. Some of us enjoy the journey to 50 and some of us just want to join our fiends there at 50 as fast as they can. So leave us alone, Please

These Devs and the people that run these servers are wonderful people who, are you ready for this, let us play their game they resurrected. They let old people like me with limited funds and who are disabled from the military enjoy the simple pleasure of this game that most of us haven't played for 7 years... My heart is still smiling that I can play a game I never thought would come back.  :D

To you devs and server owners out there I thank you from the very bottom of my heart for bringing back my most beloved game. You guys rock. I get a lot of people who thank me for my service and I appreciate that (even though it's totally unnecessary) and I tell them back with a smile you're very welcome. Well, this is me giving you the same compliment that I often receive, Thank you all for your service that you didn't have to give us , but you did anyway. I want you to know that there are only a few toxic people out here who if you handed them a bar of gold they would complain saying "this is too heavy" or "why can't you give me more or less" instead of just being grateful for having this opportunity to play or a "bar of gold". Thank you wonderful people so much!

Complainers-Please let them know about bugs, but stop berating them! I haven't seen anything game breaking so far, but it doesn't mean it's not in here. Constructive comments work way better than complaints, so please complainers, give it a try nicely. Pretty please if that helps!

To all you people complaining, I'll tell you what our instructors used to say to us. "Shut your pie-holes, you're letting your stupid show!"

Keep up the fantastic job guys! Some of us have NO complaints, only happiness and praise.

To the complainers-if it makes you feel better to call me names and complain to me- go ahead- I got big shoulders and your salty tears taste good to me and only make me happy because I faced death and you ain't it . You can't scare an old dog with nothing to lose. This awesome game makes most of us happy so for the sake of the 99.9% of us that are appreciative and love this game, move on please.... the egress is to the right.

Let me thank you for your service.  You have the thanks of a grateful country, and mine as well as a former service member as well.

I appreciate your passion, and I think I safely speak for most of us, that we are very happy to have our game back.  I think that drives some of the passion on these forums...We've had the game, lost the game, and now have it back.

I'm an avid lurker on these forums, so I feel very comfortable saying that  any instances of someone attacking the Devs or Homecoming, I could count on 1 or 2 fingers.  Most people here are VERY respectful of the development team

As for each other, that can be a different story.  Like family, many of us will argue, but then in the same breath we would team up with each other, or grab a beer after work together...

There are definitely 2 sides to the too easy/too hard route.

I personally am the "I think the game is too easy" type.  I play routinely at a +2/+3 difficulty to challenge myself and make the game harder.  The downside is playing at the level I earn a lot of XP and end up outleveling the content too quickly...So my only choices are NO XP or too much XP.  It's fine, but not ideal...And there was a time when 90% of LFG was for DFB.  That does make it hard to form a team for many people.  Impossible?  No.  But LFG was not made for DFB, it was made to make teaming easier for ALL players, including DFB.  And for us older players that don't have a lot of time to play, having to wait 30-45 min to form a group that is not DFB, makes it hard.  I'm not complaining, but just pointing out that there are challenges for everyone

Should people complain that you leveled faster than me because you are using AE to farm, or had a friend PL you, or you ran DFB to get to lvl 20 in 1/10 the time I did?  No they should not.  There is no shame in going slow or going fast.  People will say silly things like "people who PL don't know how to use their powers", and that's a load of horsehockey.  There are definitely people who don't know how to use their powers, but that's because they don't care or don't know to dive deeper into how the game works.  I've seen that behavior in the game since day 1.  Hell, I've been guilty of it as well.  There are many veteran players here who know wayyyyy more about the game than I do, and they PL/Farm as well...

Finally, Homecoming put these boards up specifically for people to voice their opinions.  And that's awesome of them.  And people voice their opinions in different ways.  One of the big challenges is that tone is lost on the internet.  What would not sound like a complaint in person, sounds like it to other people on the forums.  For the most part, I just try to assume good intentions from the other poster, and take their words at face value without imparting too much emotion into them.  It keeps my blood pressure down and reduce the number of arguments I get into...

Again, welcome, and thank you for your service.

Enjoy Paragon City, voted by Food & Wine magazine as the largest city with the fewest restaurants that are actually open

Opinions are fine, as are complaints, so long as they are positive in presentation, valid in content, and placed in the appropriate area of the forum.  There are sections for reporting bugs, and making content suggestions, so please put them there so that I can see all of them in the right place (as can the Devs), without having to peruse every thread to collate the information.  If you are posting a complaint about flagrant violations of rules, great.  If you want to complain that the game is not as good as it could be, because of how other people play, which you don't like...well perhaps not the best use of your time.

If you have an opinion, or a suggestion, express them courteously, honestly, and with no expectation of forum-wide approval, or validation.  If you are doing it for any of those reasons, it will inevitably end in disappointment, or dismay for the poster, or the folks who read it.  If you do so with the expectation that anyone who disagrees is less informed, or less intelligent because they don't agree with you, nothing good will come from such a discussion.  We have already seen it often around these forums, and it typically ends in someone storming off in a huff, or best case scenario, just agreeing to disagree.

• Like 1

One thing I *am* hearing is that the P2W vendor needs to be made into an XP/Influence slider.

Reward Balance XP / Influence

ALL XP * 20/80 * 40/60 * Balanced XP / Influence * 60/40 * 80/20 * All Influence

Everlasting server - Sister Pistols and the Perma-Newbies SG

I have no issue with that, so long as they don't take away the choices to grab veteran/subscriber gear.  Some don't like it, because they say it is another one of those things that makes the game too easy.  Especially, at the formative levels.  Personally, I see it as a choice you can make to take the gear, or not take the gear.  If you want to tough it out with 1 or 2 powers in the first few levels, great!  If not, you don't have to.  I'm all about offering more choices, as opposed to taking anything away that some don't like.  IMHO, everyone playing has the ability to make the game as tough, or as easy as they like, based on their preferences, their skill level, and their available time to play.  So long as the choices we have remain, I don't mind seeing more ways to customize our experience. 

Did you post that in the thread(s) marked for suggestions/improvements?

I have no issue with that, so long as they don't take away the choices to grab veteran/subscriber gear.  Some don't like it, because they say it is another one of those things that makes the game too easy.  Especially, at the formative levels.  Personally, I see it as a choice you can make to take the gear, or not take the gear.  If you want to tough it out with 1 or 2 powers in the first few levels, great!  If not, you don't have to.  I'm all about offering more choices, as opposed to taking anything away that some don't like.  IMHO, everyone playing has the ability to make the game as tough, or as easy as they like, based on their preferences, their skill level, and their available time to play.  So long as the choices we have remain, I don't mind seeing more ways to customize our experience. 

+1 Inf.

I'm out.

If you have an opinion, or a suggestion, express them courteously, honestly, and with no expectation of forum-wide approval, or validation.  If you are doing it for any of those reasons, it will inevitably end in disappointment, or dismay for the poster, or the folks who read it.  If you do so with the expectation that anyone who disagrees is less informed, or less intelligent because they don't agree with you, nothing good will come from such a discussion.  We have already seen it often around these forums, and it typically ends in someone storming off in a huff, or best case scenario, just agreeing to disagree.

Abraxus +1

I think you hit a key point on the head.  Too many of us think we are the hero of our own story and the smartest or most moral or most whatever person in the room.  And it's EXTREMELY unlikely that any of us are that person.

So we should be considerate of the fact that another poster might have a POV different than ours, but that does not mean it is invalidated because it is different, and in fact it could bring a perspective we are missing and should consider before throwing it out because it's different...

Let me thank you for your service.  You have the thanks of a grateful country, and mine as well as a former service member as well.

I appreciate your passion, and I think I safely speak for most of us, that we are very happy to have our game back.  I think that drives some of the passion on these forums...We've had the game, lost the game, and now have it back.

I'm an avid lurker on these forums, so I feel very comfortable saying that  any instances of someone attacking the Devs or Homecoming, I could count on 1 or 2 fingers.  Most people here are VERY respectful of the development team

As for each other, that can be a different story.  Like family, many of us will argue, but then in the same breath we would team up with each other, or grab a beer after work together...

There are definitely 2 sides to the too easy/too hard route.

I personally am the "I think the game is too easy" type.  I play routinely at a +2/+3 difficulty to challenge myself and make the game harder.  The downside is playing at the level I earn a lot of XP and end up outleveling the content too quickly...So my only choices are NO XP or too much XP.  It's fine, but not ideal...And there was a time when 90% of LFG was for DFB.  That does make it hard to form a team for many people.  Impossible?  No.  But LFG was not made for DFB, it was made to make teaming easier for ALL players, including DFB.  And for us older players that don't have a lot of time to play, having to wait 30-45 min to form a group that is not DFB, makes it hard.  I'm not complaining, but just pointing out that there are challenges for everyone

Should people complain that you leveled faster than me because you are using AE to farm, or had a friend PL you, or you ran DFB to get to lvl 20 in 1/10 the time I did?  No they should not.  There is no shame in going slow or going fast.  People will say silly things like "people who PL don't know how to use their powers", and that's a load of horsehockey.  There are definitely people who don't know how to use their powers, but that's because they don't care or don't know to dive deeper into how the game works.  I've seen that behavior in the game since day 1.  Hell, I've been guilty of it as well.  There are many veteran players here who know wayyyyy more about the game than I do, and they PL/Farm as well...

Finally, Homecoming put these boards up specifically for people to voice their opinions.  And that's awesome of them.  And people voice their opinions in different ways.  One of the big challenges is that tone is lost on the internet.  What would not sound like a complaint in person, sounds like it to other people on the forums.  For the most part, I just try to assume good intentions from the other poster, and take their words at face value without imparting too much emotion into them.  It keeps my blood pressure down and reduce the number of arguments I get into...

Again, welcome, and thank you for your service.

Enjoy Paragon City, voted by Food & Wine magazine as the largest city with the fewest restaurants that are actually open

Thank you for your direct and kind reply. Thank you also for your service! My whole family were soldiers going all the way back to my great great etc Grandfather who was a riverboat captain who ran cannon balls and cannons out of the Batsto NJ forge for George Washington to Trenton. (Heck my Dad did 3 tours of Nam, my uncle 2 tours of Nam, my grandfather was on the 4th wave at Normandy as a half track gunner, my great grandfather was in WW1 in the trenches and my great great grandad was in the Spanish American War oh and my son also served in Iraq... :) heck of a forever vigilant family huh?)

To be honest I just seriously dislike harsh and hateful comments to anyone about anything. I guess I am old fashioned, but I think people should be more civilized towards each other and respond in kindness or don't respond at all. Like I said earlier The soldier in me also says people all have the right to say what they want and we are all guaranteed that right as Americans. I have and will always be willing to give my life for that to this day. I fought for you and every other American. If you hate our country, you have that right. You hate our president, you have that right. You want to burn a flag you have that right too and I would give my last breath for you all to be able to do so.

I also truly believe what my mom used to say so long ago to me. Be careful when you're pointing your finger at someone because you have 3 fingers pointing right back at you. In other words, none of us come to the table with completely clean hands either.

I respect your reply and I understand what you're saying, but also understand that some of us not only like the easy button for different reasons, some of us like to catch our toons up to friends on the game or lvl alts. I played this game since day one when it came out. It doesn't give me any more rights or insight into the game as you or anybody else, but like you, I am entitled to my opinions and if you want the "stuff" on this game to mean more to you because you had to play a 100,000 hours on here to acquire an accolade or badge, then it's just my opinion that maybe you might just want to remember all that "work" you put into getting something is purely intangible and not worth anything of value to anyone other than you for your time spent on getting said item or whatever. Like you and I and everyone else who played this game, we lost EVERYTHING that meant anything to us when NC Soft shut us down. I had a giant Black dog toon on here with white angel wings and a halo back in the day because I made him to memorialize my dog Toby when he died of cancer. People would send me texts and say with a tear in their eye pming me saying that they felt my pain. Do you remember how long it took to lvl a Peacebringer to 50 before the AE farms when there were gunners on every roof to one shot him where ever I took him? It took me a boat load of time and xp debt to get him to 50 back in the day and I cried when the game shut down because I felt like I lost Toby a second time. Heck I am old now. I have grand kids who sit and play this wonderful game with me now and the smile it puts on their faces is priceless. Do you want to make it hard for them to level too just so your stuff is more "valuable" than my grand kid's stuff because I helped them by using the easy button. Look I get your point. Every game has these two sides. Some people like to go as fast as the can to get to lvl cap (I'm not quite that way) and there are some people who believe that you have to "pay your dues" and play hour upon hour to get to the cap. Heck, honestly I wish we could automatically make lvl 50 toons so I could have one of each kind of archetype and play with others like I want to play, but that probably won't happen (even though I wish it would-lol my time on this earth is kinda limited now). We all know the coolest powers usually come at the later lvls and that's why I favor the easy button.

If you disagree with me I also respect your opinion, but you can always turn down the amout of xp your earning if you feel its too easy for you. I would like the opposite kind of slider for me to make it super easy. Just my 2 cents and we will have to agree to disagree- but at least we can do it in a respectful manner.

On a final note, I don't use the LFG tab for DFB, BUT .... that is where the Devs placed the button to que at and technically the people using said chat are actually looking for a group.......I get your point also about doing higher lvl stuff like TF's and other high lvl stuff and I can see why you are frustrated and I get that too. Do you have a super group? Do you have other friends on here? I am not being nasty or sarcastic, but if you don't maybe you should make one and a base..... Heck I'd love to join you for some fun , but sadly my highest lvl toon is 23 :( . I would also love to join your super group too because can you imagine how cool a base is when everything is free now (or does that make you mad too?)????  I just usually play with my son and/or grand kids and I haven't seen a base all decked out since 2012.

Great quote on the end of your comments to me. Thank you for NOT berating me and that you for your respect and I am pleased to give it right back at you.

Thank you for your direct and kind reply. Thank you also for your service! My whole family were soldiers going all the way back to my great great etc Grandfather who was a riverboat captain who ran cannon balls and cannons out of the Batsto NJ forge for George Washington to Trenton. (Heck my Dad did 3 tours of Nam, my uncle 2 tours of Nam, my grandfather was on the 4th wave at Normandy as a half track gunner, my great grandfather was in WW1 in the trenches and my great great grandad was in the Spanish American War oh and my son also served in Iraq... :) heck of a forever vigilant family huh?)

To be honest I just seriously dislike harsh and hateful comments to anyone about anything. I guess I am old fashioned, but I think people should be more civilized towards each other and respond in kindness or don't respond at all. Like I said earlier The soldier in me also says people all have the right to say what they want and we are all guaranteed that right as Americans. I have and will always be willing to give my life for that to this day. I fought for you and every other American. If you hate our country, you have that right. You hate our president, you have that right. You want to burn a flag you have that right too and I would give my last breath for you all to be able to do so.

I also truly believe what my mom used to say so long ago to me. Be careful when you're pointing your finger at someone because you have 3 fingers pointing right back at you. In other words, none of us come to the table with completely clean hands either.

This!  This is one of the best posts about the freedom of expression and civility in these forums...+1 inf sir.

I respect your reply and I understand what you're saying, but also understand that some of us not only like the easy button for different reasons, some of us like to catch our toons up to friends on the game or lvl alts. I played this game since day one when it came out. It doesn't give me any more rights or insight into the game as you or anybody else, but like you, I am entitled to my opinions and if you want the "stuff" on this game to mean more to you because you had to play a 100,000 hours on here to acquire an accolade or badge, then it's just my opinion that maybe you might just want to remember all that "work" you put into getting something is purely intangible and not worth anything of value to anyone other than you for your time spent on getting said item or whatever. Like you and I and everyone else who played this game, we lost EVERYTHING that meant anything to us when NC Soft shut us down. I had a giant Black dog toon on here with white angel wings and a halo back in the day because I made him to memorialize my dog Toby when he died of cancer. People would send me texts and say with a tear in their eye pming me saying that they felt my pain. Do you remember how long it took to lvl a Peacebringer to 50 before the AE farms when there were gunners on every roof to one shot him where ever I took him? It took me a boat load of time and xp debt to get him to 50 back in the day and I cried when the game shut down because I felt like I lost Toby a second time. Heck I am old now. I have grand kids who sit and play this wonderful game with me now and the smile it puts on their faces is priceless. Do you want to make it hard for them to level too just so your stuff is more "valuable" than my grand kid's stuff because I helped them by using the easy button. Look I get your point. Every game has these two sides. Some people like to go as fast as the can to get to lvl cap (I'm not quite that way) and there are some people who believe that you have to "pay your dues" and play hour upon hour to get to the cap. Heck, honestly I wish we could automatically make lvl 50 toons so I could have one of each kind of archetype and play with others like I want to play, but that probably won't happen (even though I wish it would-lol my time on this earth is kinda limited now). We all know the coolest powers usually come at the later lvls and that's why I favor the easy button.

If you disagree with me I also respect your opinion, but you can always turn down the amout of xp your earning if you feel its too easy for you. I would like the opposite kind of slider for me to make it super easy. Just my 2 cents and we will have to agree to disagree- but at least we can do it in a respectful manner.

I wasn't clear earlier, and usually when that happens, people get more antagonized...Much like talking about the right of free expression in these forums, I believe people have a fundamental "right" (it is a game, so I guess it's more of a privilege, but whatever) to level ANYWAY THEY WANT.  I have zero problem with you level faster than me.  And if you are enjoying it, I even applaud it.  Your character, your playstyle is no less valid than mine.  And if you are enjoying the ride, and there are people who are just frustrated that you are, then I would argue that your playstyle is MORE valid than theirs, because it is a game, and it should be for enjoyment, not frustration.  In fact people who can't be respectful about it, have a playstyle LESS VALID than others...

My point in my post earlier was merely to point out that for people who like to slog thru the content that there are challenges in the game for us as well.  I often here the refrain that you can just turn off XP.  Well that's true, but then for me it becomes all or nothing.  I can have regular XP on or off.  People who want to level quickly have many more options, like bonus XP at different levels.  I would love to see a 1/2 XP plus 50% boost in inf option for those who want to play slow.  People say DFB teams aren't hurting anyone.  But that's not 100% true.  The trial itself, the level quickly?  That doesn't hurt me at all.  Having to wait 30 minutes before my kiddo and I can start a TF because of the business of the LFG chat?  That hurts, a little.  Should we fix it?  No...I don't see how, and it is there as much for DFB as anyone else.

Do you have a super group? Do you have other friends on here? I am not being nasty or sarcastic, but if you don't maybe you should make one and a base..... Heck I'd love to join you for some fun , but sadly my highest lvl toon is 23 :( . I would also love to join your super group too because can you imagine how cool a base is when everything is free now (or does that make you mad too?)????  I just usually play with my son and/or grand kids and I haven't seen a base all decked out since 2012.

My kiddo and I have a supergroup, and he just learned about supergroup bases and is having the time of his life right now building one.  I don't have any friends on the server, so I appreciate your kind gesture of teaming up.  Please ping me, my global handle is justicebeliever.

lol my time on this earth is kinda limited now

I hope you are just speaking about getting older (since all of time on earth gets more limited each year), but if it is something more terminal, please know that wherever, whoever you are, my prayers are with you.  God bless!

Cudos, and well said Skyeye!

Like you, I have been playing this game since the earliest days, and like you, I have more days behind than ahead.  I don't have time, nor inclination to get embroiled in debates about things that should just be common sense.  I'm here to play the game I love, having been given a rare second chance to do so, and converse with the folks who love it too.  That doesn't mean I think it's perfect, and needs no change, or improvement.  Just means I trust the Devs to take care of the game, since they have taken on the mantel of being it's heart and soul, and that I have the ability to play what I like, and avoid what isn't fun for me.  The choices are so wide and varied, there is something for most anyone in this 8 years of content. 

This!  This is one of the best posts about the freedom of expression and civility in these forums...+1 inf sir.

I wasn't clear earlier, and usually when that happens, people get more antagonized...Much like talking about the right of free expression in these forums, I believe people have a fundamental "right" (it is a game, so I guess it's more of a privilege, but whatever) to level ANYWAY THEY WANT.  I have zero problem with you level faster than me.  And if you are enjoying it, I even applaud it.  Your character, your playstyle is no less valid than mine.  And if you are enjoying the ride, and there are people who are just frustrated that you are, then I would argue that your playstyle is MORE valid than theirs, because it is a game, and it should be for enjoyment, not frustration.  In fact people who can't be respectful about it, have a playstyle LESS VALID than others...

My point in my post earlier was merely to point out that for people who like to slog thru the content that there are challenges in the game for us as well.  I often here the refrain that you can just turn off XP.  Well that's true, but then for me it becomes all or nothing.  I can have regular XP on or off.  People who want to level quickly have many more options, like bonus XP at different levels.  I would love to see a 1/2 XP plus 50% boost in inf option for those who want to play slow.  People say DFB teams aren't hurting anyone.  But that's not 100% true.  The trial itself, the level quickly?  That doesn't hurt me at all.  Having to wait 30 minutes before my kiddo and I can start a TF because of the business of the LFG chat?  That hurts, a little.  Should we fix it?  No...I don't see how, and it is there as much for DFB as anyone else.

Do you have a super group? Do you have other friends on here? I am not being nasty or sarcastic, but if you don't maybe you should make one and a base..... Heck I'd love to join you for some fun , but sadly my highest lvl toon is 23 :( . I would also love to join your super group too because can you imagine how cool a base is when everything is free now (or does that make you mad too?)????  I just usually play with my son and/or grand kids and I haven't seen a base all decked out since 2012.

My kiddo and I have a supergroup, and he just learned about supergroup bases and is having the time of his life right now building one.  I don't have any friends on the server, so I appreciate your kind gesture of teaming up.  Please ping me, my global handle is justicebeliever.

lol my time on this earth is kinda limited now

I hope you are just speaking about getting older (since all of time on earth gets more limited each year), but if it is something more terminal, please know that wherever, whoever you are, my prayers are with you.  God bless!

This is by far the most constructive conversation that I have ever had on any forum and I truly appreciate the replies and respect that you have shown me.

I would love to play on here some day with you and your child/children. I could use a home for my many toons I make ( I am an Altiholic :) surprised huh? lol).

It seems like your tenacity that you have on the forums that you would have been a good troop to have deployed with.

I do get a lot clearer and more concise objective opinion now about you and your play style. It's nice that you explained to me so I got a better idea of your perspective. I understand now and you are also probably a type A personality- a real go getter who expects only the best from himself and others. I used to be that way to a point in my younger days, now lol not so much. Slow and easy for me now. Comfort over chaos and a Cadillac over a Ferrari  now days (though I have never made enough to buy either of them HAHA!). I get you my brother in gaming :)

Thank you for your prayers. I do need them and 100% know they matter. I am a proud Christian and I do my best to follow Jesus example. I am anonymous on here so I will tell you that yes I have a bad disease. I have an in-curable Cancer that is 100% treatable, but I just will never be able to get rid of it and I will one way or another eventually die from it (hopefully not for a while). I have an extremely rare version of blood cancer called Polycethemia Vera. It's the opposite of leukemia.  My body makes way too many red blood cells. It causes my blood to thicken like gravy. It is treated by various things with phlebotomy (taking my blood out a pint at a time) being the most common. The cancer per say doesn't usually kill you. Heart attack, stroke, pulmonary embolisms  and things like that usually get people like me first. If that doesn't kill me....then when my femurs (bone marrow) burn out of from overproducing red blood cells, I will develop AML leukemia, which is by the way, the horrible way my dad died 6 years ago, December first. I have done a lot of research on it. My dad had massive exposure to agent orange in Vietnam. This has been found to cause my type of cancer either at conception genetically or direct exposure to it when my dad would come back from work when I was a child living in Okinawa Japan (there are still millions of gallons buried/stored there that for years the government denied), but photographic proof came up and they decided to start finally taking care of the vets who were exposed to it. I believe that hugging my dad as a small child , that I was exposed to this horrible chemical. My dad fought the government 14 years for help with his medical issues because of it and 3 months before he was to receive a large settlement from them, he died of cancer. It wasn't until after he died I went to my doctor thinking I had gout in my thumb so he ran some blood tests on me and I waited for the results if I had gout or not to come back. In the mean time my doctor retired (which I knew he was prior to my visit to him). I was off work alone at home when I got a call that was left on my cell phone which was in the other room when they actually left a message on it for me. My wife was out with her sister and the house was empty. I walked into the bedroom and checked my phone to see if my wife had called when I noticed I had a message from my doctors office. The message went something like this (it was from a nurse in my doctors office)- "Hi Mr. (Blank) I am (Blank) from doctor (Blank) office. Your blood tests have come back and you have Polycethemia Vera so we have scheduled an appointment tomorrow at (Blank) Cancer Center. Your oncologist will be Dr. (Balnk) and he will see you at 2pm tomorrow." Click and she hung up. I actually didn't know what Polycethemia Vera was, but I sure as heck knew that a meeting at the cancer center with an oncologist was NOT the news I was hoping to get or expecting to be left on a message on my cell phone.  Heck of a thing to learn (after Googling Polycethemia Vera) that you have cancer. I literally broke down and cried my eyes out for 15 minutes. I couldn't get a hold of my wife or anyone, so I just cried and cried. After 15 minutes my logical mind took over. I knew what facing death felt like I was a soldier. Man up I thought. We all die. We all have our own story, a beginning, a middle and an end. I would wait to talk to the doctor to get the real scoop on what I have. I talked to my doctor at the cancer center. He said that my hematocrit count was 87. I shrugged my shoulders because I had no Idea what that meant. He then went on to tell me that any reading over 50 was seriously high and dangerous. He actually was surprised that I was actually alive and asked me if I was on any meds.  I told him no. He then asked me if I ever take any aspirin. I was like yup and he said how many do you take a day for pain. I said my knees and my ankle were destroyed in the service along with my hearing, so I would take 9 to 12 aspirin a day. He went on to tell me that that will destroy your stomach, but it probably saved your life. He the told me all about my cancer and said from now on you need to reduce your stress and stop working Grave shift, and I said so how much will you pay me to work for you then? He didn't find it funny, but I chuckled as my wife elbowed me in the ribs. He then basically told me to not exercise strenuously and not to raise my heart lvl to much and that if I don't drink alcohol that i should start and try to drink a few times a week to thin my blood out. He also said to continue with aspirin, just not as much. I thought wow! This is the best doctor ever! Don't exercise, drink and become a couch potato.... maybe my type of cancer wasn't going to be as bad as I thought. That first day there he had them take a pint of blood out of me. It took 2 hours and 45 minutes to get the thick blood out of me. and immediately I felt a lot better. The for the next 20 weeks 1 pint every week. Gradually he reduced it down to once a month. By then I had built up over $10,000 in bills after my insurance covered their part of it. I had to go to the VA and ask them if they could help me by letting me go there for treatments so I could save about $500 a treatment. God blessed me and I have been going regularly to the VA for my cancer treatment since. I am still in debt , but I am blessed in so many ways and I am happy to get to spend time with my wife, son and daughter in law, grand kids and my service dog Ralphie and my wife's dog Sofia. I have a roof over my head, live pay check to paycheck, have food in my belly and I am still here 5 years later. I love my life more now and appreciate things more now than I ever did before. God has TRULY blessed me and I thank him every day, multiple times.

I hope I didn't bring you or anyone else down with my TLDR writing, but I figured it would be nice to tell my story to a bunch of random strangers who all have a common interest with me-COH Homecoming. One more blessing for me to be thankful for. We all have a story to tell and until you've walked a mile in someone's shoes or lived a day in someone else's shoes, remember they too have their own skeletons in their closets or their own crosses to bear. Remember that person in a drive through window really doesn't want to be there, they need the money. Same as your waitress or casino worker or Uber driver. We all have to work till we die because we are all basically slaves to the .01% of the people who OWN us all. The use us up as soldiers and slaves until they have drained us of our strength and youth, then they toss us out like trash. Happily we are ALL valuable and all mean something to someone or something in this life. Be nice to everyone and smile at someone today, because you have NO idea of what kind of hell they might be going through or how close to the edge they might be. A smile and a kind word go a long way to someone who has nothing. Remember that the next time you think how bad your day is or how bad your life is. There is always someone worse off than you or I. Common courtesy and a helping hand or a smiling face can go a long way....... so can a simple reply to a post. Thank you for your kind words, they meant a lot to me today ...God Bless you to my gaming brother!

Cudos, and well said Skyeye!

Like you, I have been playing this game since the earliest days, and like you, I have more days behind than ahead.  I don't have time, nor inclination to get embroiled in debates about things that should just be common sense.  I'm here to play the game I love, having been given a rare second chance to do so, and converse with the folks who love it too.  That doesn't mean I think it's perfect, and needs no change, or improvement.  Just means I trust the Devs to take care of the game, since they have taken on the mantel of being it's heart and soul, and that I have the ability to play what I like, and avoid what isn't fun for me.  The choices are so wide and varied, there is something for most anyone in this 8 years of content.

Thank you my friend! I agree 100%!