Set those titles! Show those badges!

Heraclea

Buncha "#humblebrag"s in this thread with their gold titles...  I should go get a screen shot of my costume contest winner.

Not that I want to brag, of course.

• Haha 4

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

23 hours ago, Player2 said:

Same.  I find the titles available rarely suit my characters.

Badges, however, can be fun... especially if I can work them together into something with the character name... like the AE badge Author with my scrapper, Hard-Hitting.  In his case, I did use "The" from titles, but no actual titles.

image.png

In the spent years whose speech is dim, there used to be many more badges available for writing popular AE content.  I got high enough on that ladder to claim the 'Bard' badge.  My first inclination was to create:

william2.thumb.jpg.cd906bd332a20ac7e3722b416fad0e40.jpg

Later, the Bard badge became unavailable.  Those who had it set kept displaying it, though.  I didn't dare even look at the list on the character after that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

1 hour ago, Sable Phoenix said:

Yeah that's annoying.  I don't see a way to delete the duplicates either. 

Can you not hide them though?

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

I use Badge Titles fairly often, mostly when I gain one that is reflective of the nature/powers/personality of my character.  I use the level-based titles if it fits the character but I somewhat resent having to choose from a prescribed list.  Why can't I use my own adjectives?  The English language is wonderfully descriptive and there are far more options than the ones that have been provided.  Why shouldn't I be able to use them all?

On 11/15/2020 at 11:19 PM, Heraclea said:

...if you aren't into writing .... character bios...

... then you probably could care less about badge titles.

On 11/15/2020 at 11:19 PM, Heraclea said:

And characters that do have a badge set often just have it set to a 'brag' Master Of badge rather than something that enhances the character concept. 

That's because they don't care about character conception.

They probably have a 50 (or multiple 50s) for bragging rights (even though it was probably power-leveled in the AE in a fire farm)

They are leet because they are in the end-game. They may or may not really enjoy the game. Some simply want to brag about how cool they are and actually care about the character as long as they can show how OP or powerful they are.

There seems to be an increasing number of players that really have no character conception. 

Sometimes you can simply tell by the name.

Everyone should play how they enjoy the game.

I understand that some people simply aren't creative or do not feel that they are creative enough.

Sometimes we can see this in a name.

I have never told someone that their origin stinks even if I don't understand it. Once I pointed out spelling error. 99% the time I will tell them they have a cool bio or something to that extent.

Anyone with a naming issue should talk about this with whatever team you are on. Other people will be more than willing to suggest names and you can pick one (or those) that seem(s) cool and see if you can change the character's name next time you are in character selection. It cost nothing to change character names.

If you have a concept for your character and you need help fleshing it out, sometimes just talking about it with other players helps to get it organized in your mind.

Some players create an idea before they even pick a power set.

Some players pick a powerset and craft an idea around it.

Some players write their bio before they ever enter the game and already know what badges they want to get so that they can display that name.

Some players write their bio once they are in game when they get the chance.

Some players don't even know that you can write a bio for a character and do not know that the badge titles can be displayed on their character.

Some can't be bothered do deal with finding decent name, writing a bio, or picking a badge.

We all play differently.

One of the things I love about this game is the character creator and how many different concepts that I think are cool that I can come up with.

I can't play them all at the same time, but, when I have the itch to play that kind of character, I have them. When a team needs a certain archetype to make things run smoother, I can switch up to whatever I need. They all have character conceptions and a reason for doing what they are doing.

• Like 4

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 11/16/2020 at 9:30 AM, Oubliette_Red said:

I try to gather badge titles that fit my characters, the one I worked hardest for was for a character I do not drag out much at the moment, for reasons that will be obvious. He... it... is the second character I created when I discovered a year and a half ago that CoH was back, so prior to our current... situation. It's been a great villain to play but I wouldn't want people to assume that I created it to make light of what's currently going on in the world.

I feel you there. 

There's a name I'd like to use, but I can't for the same reason. 

Corvid 19 or Corvid XIX

I play Warhammer 40k as well, and the Raven Guard are my main army. Ravens are corvids. In the game lore the Raven Guard were the 19th Legion of Space Marines. 

So, Corvid 19 would be a wonderful name for a Raven Guard themed character. But pretty much everyone would assume it's referencing current events while it has nothing whatsoever to do with it. 

On topic: 

I use character appropriate badge titles all the time. Except on my main. His badge title is appropriate to ME. Poor Impulse Control. I have a reputation for being in scrapperlock pretty much all the time 

5 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

... then you probably could care less about badge titles.

Sure - but if your character wears something other than a default black-and-white costume, you probably do care about the character's image.

You're right that badges and titles aren't for everyone, but the OP's right in that the right title or badge can add distinctiveness to any character.  Consider it an optional costume piece, if nothing else.

That said, I'm picky as hell about titles and badges.  Most of the default titles don't interest me at all, but a lot of the badges are spot on for one character or another.  My all-time favorite so far is "The Thief of Midnight," but I'll only ever wear that one one particular character.

Edited by TheOtherTed

7 hours ago, ClawsandEffect said:

I feel you there. 

There's a name I'd like to use, but I can't for the same reason. 

Corvid 19 or Corvid XIX

I play Warhammer 40k as well, and the Raven Guard are my main army. Ravens are corvids. In the game lore the Raven Guard were the 19th Legion of Space Marines. 

So, Corvid 19 would be a wonderful name for a Raven Guard themed character. But pretty much everyone would assume it's referencing current events while it has nothing whatsoever to do with it. 

On topic: 

I use character appropriate badge titles all the time. Except on my main. His badge title is appropriate to ME. Poor Impulse Control. I have a reputation for being in scrapperlock pretty much all the time 

'19th Legion Corvid'  fits in the naming field. I suppose if you gave it the bird head, coloured black it would help separate it from the pandemic.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Badges can add a nice little tagline to a character.

But titles?  Bah.  Most of the options on that menu are flatly ridiculous.  It's pretty clear the devs started by grabbing everything the Silver Age writers tossed aside as "too cheesy", and then went blindfolded through a thesaurus with a pin to get the remainder.

• Haha 3

On 11/19/2020 at 12:03 PM, Tiger Shadow said:

Legionnaires' disease.

I got that when I traveled in the future in DCU one time.

Well, at least one time that I remember. Those dag retcons!

It really sucked.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

This may come as no surprise to anyone who has noticed my complete lack of forum/discord avatars, but I'm not really fond of descriptors.

I tend to avoid the word cloud and keep things simple.  If I could choose to hide my character name from others unless targeted, I would.

I still change the colors of my UI to match my toon's, while almost never changing my text bubbles from default black-on-white...

The new long range teleport power brings a new incentive to get an exploration accolade. But which one is for you?

Villain City Zone Exploration Badges

Mercy Mariner            Mercy Isle
Marcone Insider            Port Oakes
Mad Science Supporter        Cap au Diable
Jumped the Shark        Sharkhead Isle
Nerva Navigator            Nerva Archipelago
Johnny's Go To Guy / Gal    St. Martial
Arachnos Spymaster        Grandville

Hero City Zone Exploration Badges

Atlas Tour Guide        Atlas Park
Wincott's Ally            The Hollows
PPD Informant            Kings Row
Canyon Carver            Steel Canyon
Sky Gazer            Skyway City
Faultline Finder        Faultline
Citizen of Salamanca        Croatoa
Island Hopper            Talos Island
IP Address            Independence Port
Lost and Found            Founders' Falls
Zig Warden            Brickstown
Portal Corp Analyst        Peregrine Island

Walked Down Memory Lane        Echo: Atlas Park
Galactic Explorer        Echo: Galaxy City
The Constant            Atlas Park and Echo: Atlas Park

(Echo: Galaxy does not grant the travel accolade, the other Echos likely don't either.)

Praetorian Exploration Badges

Viva Praetoria            Praetoria
Pure Praetorian            Nova Praetoria
Emperor for a Day        Imperial City
A Neu Man            Neutropolis
Knows Nova's Nooks        Underground Nova
Beneath the Empire        Underground Imperial
Neu You Could Do It        Underground Neutropolis
Prime Warden            First Ward
Ethereal Drifter        Night Ward

Hazard and PvP zones do not seem to give the travel accolade

Villain Hazard Zone Exploration Badges

Touched Bottom            The Abyss
Honorary Monster        Monster Island
Free Among the Dead        Dark Astoria

Hero Hazard Zone Exploration Badges

Apprentice Plumber        Sewer Network
Perez Park Perfection        Perez Park
Boom... Goes the Town        Boomtown
A Light in Dark Astorias    Echo: Dark Astoria
Straight Through Striga        Striga Isle
Utilities Commission        Terra Volta
Crazy for Crey's Folly        Crey's Folly
Master Plumber            Abandoned Sewer Network
All Your Firebase...        Firebase Zulu
Cascade Cleansing        Cascade Archipelago
Can't Stop the Chant        The Chantry
Storming the Palace        The Storm Palace
Adam in Waiting            Eden
Busy, Busy Bee            The Hive
Free Among the Dead        Dark Astoria

PvP Zone Exploration Badges

Bad Blood            Bloody Bay
Answered the Call        Siren's Call
Warlord                Warburg
Shattered Time            Recluse's Victory

Edited by Tiger Shadow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger Shadow said:

I just tried Echo Atlas with a new character, it did not unlock the LRT. You must have unlocked it some other way, maybe with the Pocket D VIP port?

Its possible it could be Pocket D.

I haven't really looked at all the accolade powers that I've acquired for that character.