What is the most defensive primary?

KaizenSoze

I am thinking about a fiery aura stalker.

My attempts on the beta server haven't gone well. Due to lack of defense or damage mitigation.

What primary would do the best job of shoring up fiery aura's weakness?

Staff, Broad Sword, or Ninja Blade would seem like good candidates as they both provide defense.

What other powers in the primaries help out with defense or damage mitigation?

Ice gives you a knockdown patch, hold, sleep, and slows to give your heals time to recharge and for your damage over time to work.  Kinetic debuffs their damage, effectively increasing your resistance beyond the hardcap.  I'd give Ice Melee a try, it has active tools vs. relying on debuffing.

If we're talking controlling enemies while you pummel them, then Ice is a good option. Energy on the other hand offers stuns and disorient, which is also a good form of control; similarly, Spines has slows, which gives you precious seconds that could mean life or death. But I believe Dark would be a better candidate because of the -to hit. Not getting hit translates better to defense in my mind.

Dark has Selfhealing, -toHit and will have another AoE with i27.

Ice has a knockdown patch, sleeps and slow.

Rad has Selfhealing and Knockdown.

Staff, Broadsword and Ninja Blade have +Defense.

But the best advice i can give is to not play Fiery Aura on Stalkers. It is better on other AT. If you want to play Something Special on Stalker i recommend /Invul, /Shield, /Energy Aura, /Ice, /Bio as Secondary and Energy Melee(i27), Street Justice, Savage Melee, Psionic, Ice, Dark(i27), Dual Blades, Electric and Kinetic as Primary.

Any Combination of these would be different from other AT and play into the Strengths of a Stalker in its own way.