Finding "the One"

Veloice

"Back in the day" I actually had three that I called my Mains... Grey Kestrel the DB Stalker, Palrah the DB Tank and Nemissary the DarkityDarkDark Defender.

I had a pile of other alts, but those three? They were special. The favorites. The ones I loved the most. Enough to have Leyla make me plushies of them when the game died. Enough to reproduce them in resin ABJD form.

I played those three more than all of the others in my crew combined.

That said? I've never re-built them here. I have their names, and I've considered doing it more times than I can count, but I've waffled over actually doing it. Even rather or not I really WANT to try to recreate them.

I still don't know the answer to that. 

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I run two builds on the same char. Night Widow/Fortunata.

Getting close to 200 vets levels on her. And I still play her everyday.

She is a lovely mix of melee, ranged, and controls.

You have to play until you find a build that you don't get bored with.

Often the most effective is not always the most fun.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I want "The One" to be a Warshade that I created in tribute to an old friend, but the lack of Mez Protection has pushed me away from the character. I hope Clarion helps, but otherwise I am going to have to take that costume and rework the backstory to use on another Dark-themed character.

• Like 2

Mostly on Torchbearer, but if you ever see me on, feel free to say hello!

Astral.Kai - Peacebringer; Dark.Enforcer - Dark/Shield Scrapper; Spark.Enforcer - Electrical/Shield Scrapper; Shadow.Reign - Dark/Regen Brute;

Glitter - Warshade;

And others to be added as I get them up to snuff, lol!

I love all my children equally, but I do have to say that Cosmic Cow, my Beam Rifle/Energy Manipulation redside blaster, has had surprising longevity. Even after 50, she still got playtime. Even after completing her build, still playtime. Even after 26 veteran levels, still gets playtime. Even with me having pretty much filled out her Incarnate Powers, still playtime. She's just too fun to stop playing, even if I have no real 'goal' with her anymore aside from badging.

• Like 1

Tanking is only half the battle. The other half...

I haven't found "the one" yet, but I keep finding ones that I really really like/love/enjoy.  I will feel like I have found it for a brief period then I will get inspired again and it's off to the races with another concept.  

However, I am feeling pretty confident that I will find "the one" with my remaining 935 character slots!  🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

With 400 characters on Torch where I play regularly, I can say that I have favorites... but no main, no  singular "the one" that I place above all others.

Before the shutdown, there were maybe five characters I favored above others, and I recreated them when Homecoming brought the game back.  A couple of those have even stayed in my top five with all the new characters I've created.

Windy Skye - Storm / Electric Defender hero  (recreated faithfully)

Emerald Inferno - Fire / Fire Sentinel hero  (recreated concept, but was a Fire / Energy Blaster on Live)

Halloween Girl - Dark / Storm Corruptor vigilante  (flipped things a bit, she used to be a Defender)

Badbow - Archery / Ninja Blaster rogue  (recycled name from an old character with a new concept with new AT and powers)

Big Girl - Will / Super Strength Tanker hero  (brand new)

Deathtroll - Dark / Stone Brute villain  (brand new)

Edited by Player2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, archgemini24 said:

I want "The One" to be a Warshade that I created in tribute to an old friend, but the lack of Mez Protection has pushed me away from the character. I hope Clarion helps, but otherwise I am going to have to take that costume and rework the backstory to use on another Dark-themed character.

If it helps, you can toggle into Black Dwarf while mezzed.  Sure, fewer options and overall weaker but at least Dwarf lets you continue doing things if you get mezzed, plus it gives you another chance to refresh your Dwarf Mire buff.  I don't think Dwarf protects against fear and confuse though, but not a whole lot does.

Clarion does help, and you can also use Clarion when you're already mezzed.  Also if you team with Controllers or Dominators, they give you status protection if they're nearby with your inherent power.

If you're doing a human build, some pool powers offer limited status protections.  Combat Jumping for Immobilize (Warshade's own version of Stealth has it too), Acrobatics for Knockback and (weak) Hold, Tactics for Confuse, and Aid Self reduces stun duration (but doesn't protect against it).  Also IOs for more KB protections; Blessing of the Zephyr, Steadfast Protection, Karma, and Fury of the Gladiator (3 slot) stack up nicely.

Edited by ZorkNemesis
  • Thanks 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

57 minutes ago, ZorkNemesis said:

If it helps, you can toggle into Black Dwarf while mezzed.  Sure, fewer options and overall weaker but at least Dwarf lets you continue doing things if you get mezzed, plus it gives you another chance to refresh your Dwarf Mire buff.  I don't think Dwarf protects against fear and confuse though, but not a whole lot does.

Clarion does help, and you can also use Clarion when you're already mezzed.  Also if you team with Controllers or Dominators, they give you status protection if they're nearby with your inherent power.

If you're doing a human build, some pool powers offer limited status protections.  Combat Jumping for Immobilize (Warshade's own version of Stealth has it too), Acrobatics for Knockback and (weak) Hold, Tactics for Confuse, and Aid Self reduces stun duration (but doesn't protect against it).  Also IOs for more KB protections; Blessing of the Zephyr, Steadfast Protection, Karma, and Fury of the Gladiator (3 slot) stack up nicely.

Yeah, I know the options. I play a handful of other characters and one of the others that sticks with me is a Human-Only Peacebringer with 32.5% Defense to M/R/AoE. The Warshade (Human-Only: not ideal since I lose Dwarf Mire, but the theme is that the Nictus has only had 1 previous host) also has 32.5% Def, so I know to try and leverage misses (supplemented by small Lucks) as much as possible, but if enough attacks get through the mez drops Orbiting Death and Inky Aspect, which really messes with the flow I have planned for the character.

Call it a crutch, but I also come from the direction of Tanks, Brutes, Scrappers, and Sentinels, so not having Mez protection gets bothersome quickly.

Mostly on Torchbearer, but if you ever see me on, feel free to say hello!

Astral.Kai - Peacebringer; Dark.Enforcer - Dark/Shield Scrapper; Spark.Enforcer - Electrical/Shield Scrapper; Shadow.Reign - Dark/Regen Brute;

Glitter - Warshade;

And others to be added as I get them up to snuff, lol!

My plant/time controller. Any team with that will breeze through even the hardest content. Giving everybody about +30 defense to all, + 50 recharge, perception and heals and regens....

And practically all foes are busy hurting their buddies while they wait to get "arrested". Since my build has some nice procs, i can also solo just about anything... which is a waste since i can contribute so much to any team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PyrioldFarm said:

My plant/time controller. Any team with that will breeze through even the hardest content. Giving everybody about +30 defense to all, + 50 recharge, perception and heals and regens....

And practically all foes are busy hurting their buddies while they wait to get "arrested". Since my build has some nice procs, i can also solo just about anything... which is a waste since i can contribute so much to any team.

Also one of my favorites.  Back on live I initially rolled one to serve as a Hami healer (before raids were over in minutes) with overwhelming regen buffs from spamming trees and acceleration.  Then I discovered the absolute monster that is Carrion Creeper Vines...

• Like 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

I've been thinking about this for a long time.  Very few of my characters get significant play once they ding 50, and I keep hoping that I'll find that magical combination that will keep me interested for a while.  I think my criteria are:

1.  Melee oriented, so brute/scrapper/stalker/tanker.

2.  Damage aura preferred but optional.

3.  PBAoE Heal that takes Accurate Healing and Damage Procs.

4.  Has at least one attack with KB for FF +recharge proc.

5.  Positional defense oriented, rather than typed defense.

6.  PBAoE friendly in both primary and secondary.

7.  Endurance tools available pre level 35.

8.  Can solo AVs/GMs without temp powers.

So far, I've probably come closest with my quartet of lvl 50 Staff/Bio // Bio/Staff, yet I really don't feel much desire to pull them out for a "spin".  I was hoping to get some real affection for Rad Armor or Energy Aura, but they feel "meh" to me.  

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?