Your Bio and YOU!

Rampager

I find myself clicking on others to see if they have taken the time to write a bio. I wanna see em! There are some truly creative writers out there and some that are just plain funny. Granted we could all use some more lines available but work with what you have! Lemme see em folks. There is a thread in Art and Multimedia that has bios  go check em out. Good stuff in there

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lines said:

There can only be one.

It had to be said.

I'm odd, in that I don't go out and deliberately roleplay much, but all my characters have a concept and therefore a bio. I try to give each one a distinct voice, but I'm not sure just how successful I am in that endeavour.

1024 characters can be pretty limiting though. I find myself picking my words *very* carefully, since each character counts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I read bios all the time, too.... Some of them are great fun in spite of the text box.

My own tend to be pretty pedestrian. All of my characters have them... typically in the form of about a paragraph of dialogue from the character, sometimes followed by another paragraph of 3rd person description or OOC roleplay notes... but I wouldn't call any of them brilliant. As a writer? I'm a pretty good editor. 😝

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Checking bios is pretty much my muscle memory at this point. There's so many fascinating and inspiring ideas out there.

I wish the actual text box was better, though - sometimes I want to make a small edit and it ends up being a hassle trying to navigate to the right spot, type, find out it doesn't type, but turns out it did type and then it appears when I try to type it again... oof.

These days I just copy and paste the entire thing every time I want to make a change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure I've shared this story before, but it still makes me laugh.

When I was first playing, I didn't understand what was meant by "brb bio". I'm sure we all do know, but my dumb child brain once thought it meant "brb, writing my biography."

So here I thought people were stopping mid mission - sometimes even mid fight - just to get that creative idea down before it vanished. Or maybe they spotted a typo and just had to fix it then and there. And nobody ever questioned it.

What really baffled me was that sometimes people who went brb to write their biography sometimes didn't even have a biography. I figured they were just, y'know, getting it just right before they were ready to show it to the world.

But, since everyone else was doing it and I'm a daft monkey, I started doing it. Every few missions I'd announce 'brb bio' and then just sit there proofreading.

Part of me wishes the world was actually like that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

My fun is to try an make the bios have as much informative and descriptive information as possible, in one, single, sometimes really, really long run-on sentence, sometimes just a single word, but to convey the 'character' in a humorous, often sarcastic, tone, in a blatant attempt to murder language and punctuation rules, knowing the bio is going to sound like a crazy person wrote it, because that's just how I roll...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always write bios, although I'm about 50/50 on sensible versus absurd, the corpse reanimated by Black Swan versus the corruptor whose parents ate at a radioactive Tim Hortons.

• Haha 3

Homecoming Wiki  - please use it (because it reflects the game in 2020 not 2012) and edit it (because there is lots to do)

Things to do in City of Heroes, sorted by level.   Things to do in City of Villains, sorted by level.   Things only Incarnates can do in City of X.

Why were you kicked from your cross-alignment team? A guide.   A starting alignment flowchart  Travel power opinions

Get rid of the sidekick level malus and the 5-level exemplar power grace.

All my characters have bios and most of them from live were tied together in one big soap opera that included 2 novellas and countless shorter posts.

If I don't have a bio for my character, i have a hard time connecting with them and eventually end up deleting them.

I do not leave the Tutorial without at least a 900 character bio, and most are within 5 characters of the limit.

I obsess over deleting spaces between words, and then re-adding a single space between them, to reclaim characters falsely consumed by the wacky editor.

Sometimes I recover 200 characters because of that. 

I do sometimes wish there was 1024 characters for your origin story, and 1024 characters for "what have you been up to lately?". Because by the time I'm lvl 39 or so, that maxed out bio I had leaving the tutorial feels like it's missing a lot of significant events that have happened since they arrived, but I'm FAR too attached to the existing bio to even consider slashing it down or replacing it.

• Like 1

Every alt gets a bio. The bio drives whether it's a hero, villain, or Praetorian. It drives what powers I pick, how I justify them, and how I slot them to a degree. It drives my mindset and playstyle, I involve myself in them as characters.

All about the concept for me.

All but one of my alt's bios are quite serious, like they are real creatures. All fit the lore (insofar as I keep CoX's lore straight in my memory), or more precisely, they don't outright conflict with the in-game lore.

And no, I'm not an RPer. 😉   I used to "RP light" back on Live, but folks on Torch are kinda no fun in that department, so I spare them the oddness. I don't get involved in the full-blown RP scene; not my thing.

Edited by CFIndustries
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back in the before times, I would usually come up with a character bio in the 20s-30s. I liked tying my characters to lore groups: my main is distantly related to the Cabal, another character had a brother join the Lost, and my two villains who I played enough to write bios for had reasons why they were in the Zig. (One was arrested by Flambeaux; I noted Kalinda might need to get her third eye checked.)

For Homecoming, I've decided to lean into the idea that my alts are all part of the same supergroup and make their bios their supergroup profiles. The ones I've recreated have kept the same basic story, even if the character's changed powersets or archetypes.

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

8 hours ago, Rampager said:

Granted we could all use some more lines

While of course you can do a better bio with more room.  I think the amount of space we have now is actually about right.  A character description give just enough information to "introduce" the character and maybe set up a way to interact with their RP.  But a good backstory needs pages, not a paragraph.

What we really DO need, however, is a better editing function.

Edited by Shred Monkey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Like @Veloice, when I see a character that I'm either in a team with, chatting with, or if they just caught my eye . . . I check to see if they have a Description.  Just s'wat I do!

If they -do- have a backstory or a good bit of Info, I take a Screenshot and try to capture both the character and the GUI so I can have a reminder for the future.   My memory sucks.   

My memory sucks so much that I often end up having multiple screenshots of the same characters because I like how they look or what their stories are.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, CrudeVileTerror said:

Like @Veloice, when I see a character that I'm either in a team with, chatting with, or if they just caught my eye . . . I check to see if they have a Description.  Just s'wat I do!

If they -do- have a backstory or a good bit of Info, I take a Screenshot and try to capture both the character and the GUI so I can have a reminder for the future.   My memory sucks.   

My memory sucks so much that I often end up having multiple screenshots of the same characters because I like how they look or what their stories are.

There you go!  We're not on the same shard so I'll just leave this here for you 😄

Screenshot 2020-11-20 012322.png

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )