arthurh35353

Squishies Epic Armors grant 3 Mag Protection?

Anti-mezz as a proc in a combat power is pretty horrible in design choice, I've decided after some thought.

If we go by tanks/brutes resistance caps, they take 10% max damage (just based on resistance). Everyone else caps at 75% resistance, so would 2.5 x the amount of damage. With Tanks having the highest amount of Mezz protection at 12 points, dividing the mezz protection of a tank by 2.5 would actually get squishies 4.8 mag protection.

Khelds you could actually split Hold and Stun protection across a couple of their personal shields.

8 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

I think solo is where it matters most though, as in a team you have supports that do provide mez protection and at least added support in general to shore it up. When solo though, being mezzed is just not fun.

It's interesting you say that, because a thought came up to me while I mentioned the "team play is how the game is balanced around" note earlier. I wondered, "if that's the case, then why does mez protection on squishies matter?" They already get it in teams, and unlike res/def buffs it's essentially one and done unless your under intense enemy fire. Why not provide it in solo play too? But I realized it's still exactly because of the team play based balance. So here are my major qualms for everyone.

1. Granting squishies greater and inevitable mez protection steps on the toes of the support classes. Why would you even pick up a power like Clear Mind or Clarity when everyone already has the protection. If the OPs suggestion, it would be locking these powers usefulness to only lower levels, and if a more universal installation of mez protection were given, it would be be useless entirely. It would be useful only to Masterminds for their pets (who rarely get them), or in the AoE powers that offer a mez protection along with resistance/defense. We can discuss that issue. 
  2. Granting squishies greater and inevitable mez protection will make squishies too potent. This is ok in team play with the corresponding increased difficulty (lets forget incarnates we already know difficulty is erased by it) but just isn't the intention for them in solo play. They have other options.
  3. Squishies not having mez protection isn't a flaw, so any available options to give it to them can't be poor solutions - they are not seeking to remedy a problem. Just offer additional options for those particularly interested. This one is aimed more specifically at @arthurh35353

Anyone trying to get something like this through, the first 2 above are probably the first to address. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Monos King said:

Granting squishies greater and inevitable mez protection steps on the toes of the support classes. Why would you even pick up a power like Clear Mind or Clarity when everyone already has the protection. If the OPs suggestion, it would be locking these powers usefulness to only lower levels, and if a more universal installation of mez protection were given, it would be be useless entirely. It would be useful only to Masterminds for their pets (who rarely get them), or in the AoE powers that offer a mez protection along with resistance/defense. We can discuss that issue. 

No, not at all. Because those stack on top of anything they have and could be useful and have more than just mezz protection in them.

Granting squishies greater and inevitable mez protection will make squishies too potent. This is ok in team play with the corresponding increased difficulty (lets forget incarnates we already know difficulty is erased by it) but just isn't the intention for them in solo play. They have other options.

Yeah, this one is just laughable. If 4pts of mezz protection makes my Dark/Dark Defender a soloing +4/x8 god, I'll eat one of my hats. There is a great level of difference between 'is no longer annoying to fight against low number of mezzing foes' and 'godlike immunity to all mezzing'.

Squishies not having mez protection isn't a flaw, so any available options to give it to them can't be poor solutions - they are not seeking to remedy a problem. Just offer additional options for those particularly interested. This one is aimed more specifically at

And yet people like me have been saying its a flaw because it makes squishies much less fun when you don't have a team (because teaming doesn't auto-happen, you have to work at it). So this is 10000000000000% subjective.

The major concerns there are on top of everything I stated before, some of which you have yet to respond to.

1 hour ago, arthurh35353 said:

No, not at all. Because those stack on top of anything they have and could be useful and have more than just mezz protection in them.

I mentioned in that very post that mez applications are generally "one and done". This means you rarely need anymore than one, or enough to shrug off 1 or 2 applications. You don't get assaulted that often. Powers like Clarity are there to allow you to fight through and survive mez. When you can already do this, you are contributing as normal, attacking enemies, likely from a distance, or escaping, and not getting mezzed again. I know this very well because I have the funds to have experienced Defense Amplifiers, which if everyone always had, would do the same and already raises brows. That is the effect of +4 status effect protection, which will shield you from up to 2 mezzes ordinarily, and when combined with existing methods it infringes on their territory even more. Not to mention, the below applies.

Yeah, this one is just laughable. If 4pts of mezz protection makes my Dark/Dark Defender a soloing +4/x8 god, I'll eat one of my hats. There is a great level of difference between 'is no longer annoying to fight against low number of mezzing foes' and 'godlike immunity to all mezzing'.

As has been noted in various previous responses, squishies have other options. It is not laughable, you are ignoring the many other available options squishies have because you desire a melee playstyle on them, and fail to realize the significance of increased mez protection that is extremely coveted for this very reason of how potent it is. You should begin reading those responses. There is a reason a properly specced corruptor is a god of soloing. 

And yet people like me have been saying its a flaw because it makes squishies much less fun when you don't have a team (because teaming doesn't auto-happen, you have to work at it). So this is 10000000000000% subjective.

Because of the design of the game, it is not even remotely subjective. Your opinion on it is literally that, and thus subjective, and you need to do a better job addressing the above two concerns if you expect to get the squishies any additional protection outside of what they have. The "it's not fun" argument is the only one that has had any remote relevance thus far, as you have been rinsed with examples of how squishies can and do address mez, and dismissing the balance problems above so poorly doesn't add to it.

Edited by Monos King
  • Like 1

I wonder if people would be as resistant to adding some significant amount of mez resistance rather than protection to some of the epics.  I know a lot of people look down on resistance but once you get a significant amount of it, I do find it can be useful.  This is from my experience with radiation's accelerate metabolism which gives about 200% mez resistance (which cuts mez time down to about 1/3rd).  Still dangerous to get mezzed, but I found myself dying a lot less from mezzes when for example a 12 second hold only lasts about 4 seconds when I had AM running.  And it still isn't going to let you tank, if a whole mob is beating on you, 4 seconds is still going to = death unless you use one of the other "ways" to break out or avoid it.  But it would be enough to help against the occasional mez thrown your way.

I've thought before actually I think the game would have been better if mez protection didn't exist and it was all just resistance.  Then things wouldn't be so binary. Tanks would be given enough res that they'd shake mezzes off almost instantly and it'd go down from there based on AT.  That was probably partly thrown out because in the old days it also dropped all your defensive toggles and it was a pita to retoggle everything, which thankfully that doesn't happen anymore.

But that'd be a whole different game at this point.

Edited by Riverdusk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Riverdusk said:

I wonder if people would be as resistant to adding some significant amount of mez resistance rather than protection to some of the epics.  I know a lot of people look down on resistance but once you get a significant amount of it, I do find it can be useful.  This is from my experience with radiation's accelerate metabolism which gives about 200% mez resistance (which cuts mez time down to about 1/3rd).  Still dangerous to get mezzed, but I found myself dying a lot less from mezzes when for example a 12 second hold only lasts about 4 seconds when I had AM running.  And it still isn't going to let you tank, if a whole mob is beating on you, 4 seconds is still going to = death unless you use one of the other "ways" to break out or avoid it.  But it would be enough to help against the occasional mez thrown your way.

Hilariously enough, I was just talking to Galaxy Brain about this exact idea. We were also discussing more weird ideas like defiance adding status resistance or other inherents adding health-scaling status protection. I'm personally all for increased Mez Resistance; people don't really talk about it and it's much more manageably potent.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Riverdusk said:

That was probably partly thrown out because in the old days it also dropped all your defensive toggles and it was a pita to retoggle everything, which thankfully that doesn't happen anymore.

You also run into offensive toggles that are debuffing, which are still dropped if get mezzed.

It doesn't help you stay alive debuffing people if that's your 'defense'.