Building a new PC

Communistpenguin

So i am getting ready to build a new PC, and I have some parts picked out on pcpartpicker, and I just wanted to get some feedback. As some background, My current PC I built almost 8 years ago, it is still decent, and if my graphics card had not died a year ago I would probably wait another couple years to replace my PC. What I really want out of the build is longevity to play medium graphic intensive games. Stuff like Skyrim, Fallout etc. I looked up the best CPU and a decent Motherboard, because I figure spending money there is my best bet for the build lasting a long time. So basically, if anyone could look at what I picked and tell me if I am being an idiot, or any glaring issues or whatever. Thanks!

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/AgentGnome/saved/#view=YmWFgs

A few things:

1. Don't forget RAM. 16 GBs is the sweet spot right now for capacity. Specific CAS timing, latency, and frequency speed will be dependent on your CPU selection, which leads me in to my next point;

2. Overkill on the CPU for what your stated use case is. You can get a 4 or 6 core CPU for half the price from either AMD or Intel that will run fine for your stated use case.

3. Great selection on a GPU, but it's not likely going to be easy to acquire any time soon. Same goes for the comparative GPU from AMD. Something to keep in mind.

4. You're gonna need a bigger SSD. 256GBs is going to drop to 200GBs instantly once you've installed your operating system. Look for a 1TB if you plan on doing anything else besides playing a handful of games. 

5. The motherboard isn't wifi capable out of the box, so you'll need to either plug in an ethernet cable or purchase a wireless network PCI-E card in order to connect to the internet. 

Lastly, I'm assuming you already have case fans, a computer monitor and peripherals (mouse, keyboard, wi-fi adapter, etc.).

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

This is my current system: 

I've been running this game at around high settings, getting between 10 and 144 fps. Full MSRP at time of purchase ~$1500, plus add-ons/upgrades ~$750.

System Specs:

Case: Corsair Carbide 275R

Mainboard: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5

CPU: Intel i7-8700K

CPU Cooling: Corsair HYDRO SERIES H150i PRO RGB 360MM AIO

Hard Drives: Corsair Force MP500 120 GB M.2-2280 NVME SSD & Western Digital Black 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME SSD

Western Digital 1TB SN750 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD with Heatsink - Gen3 PCIe

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GAMING X 8G Video Card

Case Fans: Corsair ML 120MM x6

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold

Peripherals

Monitors:

(Left) LG 25UM56-P 25.0" 2560x1080 60 Hz Monitor

(Center) Acer Predator Gaming Z321QU bmiphzx Curved 31.5" WQHD (1440p x 144hz)

Mouse: PWNAGE Ultra Custom Ergo Wireless Gaming Mouse

Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2, 60% Wired/Wireless Mechanical Keyboard (Gateron Brown Switch/Black Case) 

Monitor Arm: WALI Premium Single LCD Monitor Desk Mount Fully Adjustable Gas Spring Stand.

20200825_153805.jpg

Edited by Glacier Peak

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

I was planning on reusing some of my old ram, though someone on the pcpartpicker forums said that is a bad idea since my old ram is not that great.  The whole idea with overbuying on the processor is so that it will last longer. I figured the ram is an easy swap so i wasn't particularly concerned about upgrading that later, but a processor is a pain to swap out so i would rather get something that will still be pretty fast 8 years from now. I think I need a new case, one of suggestions on the pcpartpicker website was to add three $15 fans, so that makes a $60 case a $115 case, so wouldnt it make sense to just get a better case rom the getgo?

2 hours ago, Communistpenguin said:

I was planning on reusing some of my old ram, though someone on the pcpartpicker forums said that is a bad idea since my old ram is not that great.  The whole idea with overbuying on the processor is so that it will last longer. I figured the ram is an easy swap so i wasn't particularly concerned about upgrading that later, but a processor is a pain to swap out so i would rather get something that will still be pretty fast 8 years from now. I think I need a new case, one of suggestions on the pcpartpicker website was to add three $15 fans, so that makes a $60 case a $115 case, so wouldnt it make sense to just get a better case rom the getgo?

As long as the RAM is compatible, I don't see any issue. As for the CPU reasoning, yeah that is fair. I look at getting between 5-8 years of computation out of my CPU. Case (and case fans) choice is fine. PC cases rarely determine the build either way (unless you're going small form factor (SFX)). Ideally, if you're going to be staring at the case for the next few years, you get something that is not hideous. It looks like you picked a good looking and affordable case.

Pocket D Zone Tour

• 3 weeks later

Anyone have an opinion on what would be a decent upgrade for the guts of a Haswell-era PC (~2013) and/or when would be a good time to do it if I was looking to stay on the intel side of things?  Like, does intel have anything coming down the pipe that might lead to current stuff getting a price cut or anything like that?  I've got about ~700.00 I can slot towards motherboard, CPU and RAM.  The rest of it is staying so I don't need to buy that stuff.

Current machine:

Asus Z87-WS LGA 1150 (going)

Intel i5-4670K (going)

2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (going)

Corsair HX750 750W PSU (staying)

Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler (staying)

Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (staying)

EVGA RTX 2080 Super (staying)

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!