"Ok Boomer" Badge

Zepp

It would be nice to have a Defeat 100 Gold Bricker bosses badge, perhaps, "Ok Boomer" as the title?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

"Such Badge" would be a great badge name.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that the way younger generations blow off older generations when they conflict about...well, pretty much anything? I think the Boomer Generation that plays this game might have an issue with that.

I mean, as long as they don't take issue with it I am all game for it, however, it's a pretty rude comment that implies that the Boomer Generation doesn't know anything about anything and I think the Boomer Generation might not be too hip for that. Just a suspicion.

I don't think it's meant to dismiss all old people, just the members of the Boomer Generation that did their best to ruin the world then tell young people to "pull themselves up the their bootstraps" (and fun fact, that phrase actually means to do the impossible since without external support there is no way to pull yourself up with bootstraps).

As to whether the elder generations playing this game would find the phrase offensive, couldn't say, though think there was a topic in general talking about oldest players, maybe poll some of them?

And for other meme based badges... Since TFs can track deaths, maybe finishing a TF despite dying over a dozen times could give "Never gonna give you up".

Okay boomer is a response used when someone from the baby boomer generation blames young people for doing/not doing something that is no longer feasible because of the actions of the boomer generation.

It is "hitting up" against privilege rather then "punching down" which makes it an acceptable term. As such, objections by boomers can be overlooked because of the odf provision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

23 minutes ago, Zepp said:

It is "hitting up" against privilege rather then "punching down" which makes it an acceptable term. As such, objections by boomers can be overlooked because of the odf provision.

Let's keep religion out of the game, please.

Your original suggestion wasn't bad as such, but now you're doing a good job campaigning against it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dragon Crush said:

I don't think it's meant to dismiss all old people, just the members of the Boomer Generation that did their best to ruin the world then tell young people to "pull themselves up the their bootstraps"

Looks like to me each Generation doing what ALL the generations have done before them...blame the generations before them for all the things wrong in their lives and not recognize the fights the previous generations went through in order to make sure the younger generations could actually be here in order to complain about the older generations in the first place. And yup, you've guess it, the newest generation is now blaming the millennial's generation for everything they think is wrong in the world. YOUR TURN!

The whole thing is silly, and a lot of Boomers know this (my mother is a boomer) and she laughs at the stupidity of it all. She laughs even more about the boomers who actually give a shit what the younger generations think of them. Like, my mother really does not give two shits what some younger generation thinks of her. She thinks the whole thing is funny and thinks it's even funnier that some boomers actually get upset about it. However, having said all of that, my original point still stands.

Oh, and it's "pull yourself up by the bootstraps!" It means when you get knocked off your horse, you put your boots back on and try again instead of complaining about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So... Few things:

"Ok, Boomer" is a bit more specific than "Baby Boomers ruined Everything". It's about how much time and effort Millennials, Gen Xers, and the Zoomers have spent trying to explain "Things aren't like they used to be" while the Boomer generation refuses to accept it.

As a teenager and a young adult I had Boomers telling me "Just go into the business and apply face to face. Ask to see the manager! That's how I got my job!" Sure. That's how you got your job 40 years ago when that kind of thing was the Norm. Now every company out there wants an online application because if you bring in your resume it goes in the garbage. Do you know how many times I've asked for an application in person and been told "You have to do it online?"

But I'd tell the Boomers that and get a lecture on how I wasn't "Trying" hard enough. "Ok, Boomer" became the "I'm not going to try and explain this to you because you're clearly not interested in hearing or understanding things that don't fit your out of date worldview."

It's not rank dismissal. It's frustration and it's defeat. It's "I'm not going to waste my time and energy on this anymore."

See also: "Why haven't you moved out?" "You should be saving for your future!" and "Why don't you have kids, yet?" which all often boil down to "I literally cannot afford those things because of the market forces your generation created."

Now, yeah... some of it is probably rank dismissal or 'typical' generational infighting. But the bulk of the issue is that life has changed more rapidly in the past 30 years than it has in nearly any other point in history and the generation currently holding the greatest amount of wealth and political power initiated those changes but have no clear understanding of what those changes -are- or the impact those changes have created. Yeah the invention of the Automobile and the Refrigerator and whatever changed things in the world... But the Internet and the massive socio-economic changes around it are massive beyond almost any period of history.

Ok, Boomer would not be a good badge for CoH. But it's a great badge for real life.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

"Why haven't you moved out?" 

"I literally cannot afford those things because of the market forces your generation created."

If only you knew just how silly that sounds.  😁

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vooded said:

??? Religion ???

Values are open to debate. Anyone who believes in dogma is inherently religious. Whether said person worships magical sky people, or loudly claims there is no deity. Religious sentiment isn't necessarily tied to gods, any system of faith may qualify as a religion.

• Like 3

Just now, Steampunkette said:

Ok, Boomer.

I'm Gen X...

I just don't play victim and blame boomers for everything wrong in my life. I take responsibility for my own life.

Edited by Solarverse
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, nihilii said:

Values are open to debate. Anyone who believes in dogma is inherently religious. Whether said person worships magical sky people, or loudly claims there is no deity. Religious sentiment isn't necessarily tied to gods, any system of faith may qualify as a religion.

I mean the OP came in with an axe to grind, but you...

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

I'm Gen X...

I just don't play victim and blame boomers for everything wrong in my life. I take responsibility for my own life.

I don't blame Boomers for "Everything" wrong.

Just the things that they, as a generation, have done. Like foster an overreliance on the idea of college as core to personal value leading to multiple subsequent generations carrying $1.6 trillion in debt that, in many cases, turns out to be useless to their economic advancement. My husband, for example, as pushed by his family to go to college and studied teaching and history... Now he's a Postal Worker.

That overreliance, of course, being fostered by watching their parents and grandparents performing grueling physical labor and coming home exhausted and often drunk and thinking "I want my kids to have a better life than that!" which is super noble, on it's face, but severely weighted our society away from infrastructural and lucrative essential work, like Garbage Men, Janitors, and other 'dirty' or 'menial' work that is required to keep our society functional and healthy. And yeah, our society needs teachers and historians, but not like it needs Plumbers or Electricians. One advances, one maintains, both are needed and only one was societally valued.

And, of course, the huge McMansion craze that they created which made housing less and less affordable over decades while they did their best to maximize profits with minimal raises and... yeah. Just so much shit.

I get it. You like to think of yourself as strong and special and self-reliant and whatever else. But we live in the course of history, and causes have effects. Ignoring that is self-blinding, and will ultimately lead to Boomerdom. 

15 minutes ago, nihilii said:

No. I'm afraid you're mistaking Philosophy for Religion.

Religion by -definition- requires a belief in the Supernatural as a basis for a Philosophical Ideal.

Religion is -a- Philosophy, but Philosophy is not a Religion.

Edited by Steampunkette
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Steampunkette said:

I don't blame Boomers for "Everything" wrong.

Just the things that they, as a generation, have done. Like foster an overreliance on the idea of college as core to personal value leading to multiple subsequent generations carrying $1.6 trillion in debt that, in many cases, turns out to be useless to their economic advancement. My husband, for example, as pushed by his family to go to college and studied teaching and history... Now he's a Postal Worker.

That overreliance, of course, being fostered by watching their parents and grandparents performing grueling physical labor and coming home exhausted and often drunk and thinking "I want my kids to have a better life than that!" which is super noble, on it's face, but severely weighted our society away from infrastructural and lucrative essential work (Like Garbage Men, Janitors, and other 'dirty' or 'menial' work that is required to keep our society functional and healthy.

And, of course, the huge McMansion craze that they created which made housing less and less affordable over decades while they did their best to maximize profits with minimal raises and... yeah. Just so much shit.

I get it. You like to think of yourself as strong and special and self-reliant and whatever else. But we live in the course of history, and causes have effects. Ignoring that is self-blinding, and will ultimately lead to Boomerdom. 

lol, okay. I can't wait to show this to my mother. She is going to cry laughing.  Thanks for this!

1 minute ago, Solarverse said:

lol, okay. I can't wait to show this to my mother. She is going to cry laughing.  Thanks for this!

And that's why "Ok, Boomer" is so much -easier-.

See how it's worked out, here? I've tried to explain a bunch of stuff, and instead of understanding or an attempt at an equal exchange, I get this as a reaction.

Ergo: Ok, Boomer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

And that's why "Ok, Boomer" is so much -easier-.

See how it's worked out, here? I've tried to explain a bunch of stuff, and instead of understanding or an attempt at an equal exchange, I get this as a reaction.

Ergo: Ok, Boomer. 

It would help if all that stuff that you wrote had anything to do with "boomers" yet you still blame them for it. You want a monster in your life, you found one and it makes you feel better to downgrade a whole generation and pin all of your woes to that generation instead of taking responsibility for your own life. Yet, all of these things you blame the boomers for, you do nothing yourself to fix them. So you can okay boomer all you like...and I will continue to "lol okay" as I go on living my life without blaming anyone else.

If you want to blame anyone for anything, start with the government. The Boomers were only trying to live by the laws of man, and they did everything in their power to change the laws that mattered most...like, I don't know...ending racism and ending Jim Crow Laws and protesting wars that we had no business being in and preaching peace and love. But hey, you go right on ahead and keep blaming boomers.

Edited by Solarverse
  • Like 1

Just now, Apparition said:

In twenty years, the generation being born now will want an "OK, Millennial," badge.

QFT

Exactly. This is the same rodeo every generation plays. Every generation believes they are somehow better than the ones before them...and every generation before them has already been there and done that and knows better.

• Like 2