All That Glitters Series - Vigilante - [1 - 54]

Ankylosaur

6 hours ago, Icono04 said:

Yes, you do ūüôā I have recently played through all of Glimmers, Glints and Gleams on my dedicated goldsider character, and missing that one mission (Glints 4.1) is nagging at my OCD.¬†ūüėČ

A couple of other feedback points:

1) I thought the

Reveal hidden contents

Neo Tokyans

were very well thought-out and added a lot to the various arcs they appeared in. I would like to see more of them in future arcs or in possible future reworks of the existing arcs. Interesting groups, and they fill a gap in the game lore.

2a) Ref. your ideas for a new naming convention, I agree that getting rid of the Glitters/Glimmers/Glints/Gleams prefixes and calling them all "Post Praetoria Campaign No. X.X" makes the whole thing appear more cohesive and more RPGesque. 

2b) How set are you on the campaign title "Post Praetoria Campaign"? It is, of course, very accurate in describing what the campaign is about, but to my artsy sensibilities it feels almost too clinical in its descriptiveness. In order to sell the campaign to future AE users (or reselling it to someone like myself for future replaying), something slightly more dramatic might be better. Perhaps something along the lines of "Post Praetoria Power Plays", since there are many different groups who take turns throughout all the arcs vying for power among the ex-Praetorians. Or something else that includes the words Post Praetoria (which I agree signifies nicely what the campaign is about) but with a few fluff words added to make it sound more grand. Anyway, your campaign, your choice, these are just my loose pre morning coffee thoughts.

2c) Putting the name of each arc last in the sentence makes the most sense to me. I would, however, place the "fork title" before the number, like this: "Post Praetoria Campaign - Tech - 2.2: Fortunes in Faultline" rather than "Post Praetoria Campaign 2.2 - Tech: Fortunes in Faultline". Makes it easier to identify at a glance which fork one is looking at.

Excellent post and breakdown here.

Now, @Ankylosaur can hop in here and correct me, but I fear my own work may have skewed his naming conventions, since I felt he wanted more clarity than the vagary I deal in!

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X |  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) X

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance..  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure that's true @Darmian¬†- ūüôā¬† but who¬†recalls?¬†

I have thought about renaming 1.1-1.3 to All That Gleams so that it is the Forks (Glitters, Gimmers and Glints) ¬†that ll have their own names, and then it reconvenes in All That Gleams 5.0 ¬†but, decided I'm worrying about minutia that is unimportant to anyone at all. ūüôā¬†

Making good progress on Glints 4.1¬†ūüôā

Edited by Ankylosaur
  • Thumbs Up 1

Try my AE Arcs: Search for @Ankylosaur for the below and more...

• Dev's Choice:¬†¬†All¬†That¬†Glows 4.1: Nictus Evictus - 40-54¬†|¬†Rularularian¬†- 41-54¬†|¬†The Serpent Beyond the Horizon¬†- 46-52¬†¬†|¬†Robolution¬†- 25-34¬†¬†| ¬†Adventures in Wonderland - 25-54¬†|¬†The Genesis & Geneticists¬†of The Coming Hamiggedon¬†-¬† 41-54¬†
  • Post-Praetoria Campaign:¬†¬†Explores the effects on Prime Earth of The Fall of¬†Praetoria.¬†Intro 1-20, Others fork off it in the 20's-ish to 54

All That Glitters: Intro (3 Arcs) 

Glitters: Gold Brickers (9 Arcs) | Glimmers: First Warders (9 Arcs) |  Glints: The Awakened (3 Arcs) | Glows: Nictus (3 Arcs)

All That Gleams: Finale (1 Arc)

5 minutes ago, Ankylosaur said:

I'm not sure that's true @Darmian¬†- ūüôā¬† but who¬†recalls?¬†

I have thought about renaming 1.1-1.3 All That Gleams so that it is the Forks (Glitters, Gimmers and Glints) ¬†that ll have their own names, but, decided I'm worrying about minutia that is unimportant to anyone at all. ūüôā¬†

Making good progress on Glints 4.1¬†ūüôā

RL and work has got in the way of many a thing for me lately, but never fear, I will get to your stuff!

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X |  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) X

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance..  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Just finished 1.1 - Missing in Mercy - Arc ID: 35842 - 1-10 Final.  Can’t wait to run more!  The story was great and the missions were fun. I really like the dialogue and storytelling in between the missions.  Keep up the good work!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

All That Glitters 3.1 was originally written in Eden. If you've noticed, 2.1 - 2.3 all take place in Paragon's Hazard Zones. Part of the premise for Langston Corp. to move to Paragon is that they are willing to reclaim some of the hazard zones. The Mayor gives them abandoned land, and their Big Brother Construction arm constructs an office/warehouse/powerplant in the area, bringing in jobs. The Gold Brickers are brought in to secure the construction/productivity/manufacturing from the "Wild West" that is a hazard zone and the reclamation begins.

Well, for a variety of reasons that I probably spelled out somewhere above, I moved 3.1 from Eden to Nerva. I've moved it back which introduces a new map and better motivations.  The main thread is the same though, so if you happen to have played it - you end up in the same place.

It is now All That Glitters 3.1: Extractions in Eden.

Why?

Spoiler

There were several reasons I moved it back

1. The idea that Langston is revitalizing hazard zones is a core premise of how they get invited as a legitimate player in Paragon. There is a fully functioning warehouse in Eden (Acadia neighborhood) with full power that just begs to have a reason to be there - this is that.
  2. This mission focuses heavily on Crey - another tech org counterpart of Langston Labs. They are present in both Eden and Nerva, and have a nice office in Nerva - however - what I wanted them to do makes better sense in Eden, and makes better sense for Langston to try to leverage in Eden. Plus, I wanted to give Crey a better presence throughout this arc. In Eden they are really the only non-DE there - until Langston shows up.
  3. If you know my style, I like outdoor missions in my arcs to give a sense of place. I originally moved 3.1 to Nerva because I wanted that. I finally came up with a good way to use the one outdoor Eden map in this. At the time I did not have Hornet, your contact with a stolen Arachnos Flyer as a simple conceit for why you are arriving in an Arachnos flyer - now I do.
  4. Glimmers was written later, but for reasons that are part of that series you spend A LOT of time in Nerva - so leveraging Nerva here seems unnecessary - in fact - I want to save the time you spend in Nerva for all the action in Glimmers. (I try not to reuse maps.)
  5. The new Gold Bricker costume parts meant that I could easily make Gold Bricker Gaians and include them in the story. The Gaians' origin is Eden, and shoehorning them into Nerva was just a quirk I accepted - but its better they are not. (See The Genesis and Geneticists of the Coming Hammigeddon for their origin.)

I doubt anyone cares a lick - but just working out loud. ūüôā

Edited by Ankylosaur

• Dev's Choice:¬†¬†All¬†That¬†Glows 4.1: Nictus Evictus - 40-54¬†|¬†Rularularian¬†- 41-54¬†|¬†The Serpent Beyond the Horizon¬†- 46-52¬†¬†|¬†Robolution¬†- 25-34¬†¬†| ¬†Adventures in Wonderland - 25-54¬†|¬†The Genesis & Geneticists¬†of The Coming Hamiggedon¬†-¬† 41-54¬†
  • Post-Praetoria Campaign:¬†¬†Explores the effects on Prime Earth of The Fall of¬†Praetoria.¬†Intro 1-20, Others fork off it in the 20's-ish to 54

Glitters: Gold Brickers (9 Arcs) | Glimmers: First Warders (9 Arcs) |  Glints: The Awakened (3 Arcs) | Glows: Nictus (3 Arcs)

• 1 month later
Posted (edited)

Wow! So this latest release was a gift and a (pleasant?) burden!

So much new Gold Bricker stuff that I really am thinking of doing a big ole simplification rewrite pass on Glitters 2.2 to 4.3. As mentioned above, I have already done a pass to integrate my own custom versions of mobs, but now I should consider redoing it with the new mobs and the new maps. It also gives me a chance to simplify it a bit. I already felt it was a little heavy on named villains before Mr. Rodney and Princess Zoe showed up. All the names make it hard for the player to keep track of everyone (sort of like the Council).

I like my customs, but am a little torn over whether I should keep them, or remove them altogether. You just can't get the true gold bricker look in the costume creator - their color of yellow/gold is not a standard color. But then the Rocketeer. Rockette, Dirigible, Airship, Strafer. Beamer, Zeppelin and Spitfire would all be out...

The inter-dimensional nature of Brickernauts and AU Gold Brickers make me want to maybe replace or augment ConDev inter-dimensional pirates too...

Current simplification thoughts

Spoiler

Characters

• William Langston has already taken the role my custom King Midas did in the original story - so his updated self and role in the story stays.
  • Alton Langston remains the Big Brother over Big Brother Construction - making William have just two kids - him and King Midas
  • King Midas is over the Gold bickers and ConDev
  • Mr. Rodney takes the role "Pinkie" Langston had.
  • Princess Zoe takes the roles of Carmela and Dalton Langston, running Langston Labs.
  • Zeppelin and Spitfire EBs replaced with some of the new Gold Bricker EBs

Mobs

• Use OOB Gold Brickers without customs when Gold Brickers are used?
  • ConDev mob becomes home to the inter-dimensional¬†gold brickers + my stolen inter-dimensional piratey tech mobs - all dimensional travelers in one group. Answers the question of where some UPA folk went after Calvin Scott was defeated. Update my customs to use the Aeon Gloves?
  • Remove my custom Revenants as a mob and keep the stolen Crey revenant tech focused on Infini-life purposes only. Tightens that up, plus, though I thought I needed revenants mob originally, they are just a bit of a distraction really. ConDev can use stolen clockwork in their place for dangerous areas like irradiated praetoria.

Maps

• Langston Ship's portal map takes the place of the portal corp map I had used
  • Dimensional Shift Cap Au Diable has a perfect home already in the finale.
  • Smelter map is trickier - worked in somewhere - perhaps in place of Revenants cells now that they are out of the story. or maybe in the Terra Volta story since its a big industrial area - though that is low level, or maybe in 4.2
  • ¬†

Edited by Ankylosaur

Posted (edited)

Well, I spent hours and hours at it and can say I am squarely done with a first pass - which is to say the main things are changed, and now it needs a complete playthrough to find all the finer details that I may have overlooked. 

But the big boulders are moved - and now where there were Gold Brickers (and ConDev) it is 99% out-of-the-box Gold Brickers. (King Midas has to be custom).¬†Gotta make sure that "Canon related" checkbox is accurate ūüėČ

The key changes

Spoiler

• I replaced all my custom Gold Brickers with the OOTB ones. (Though curiously - there are no Gold Bricker "Breakers")
  • I replaced all the ConDev mobs with the OOTB Gold Brickers. Why? As shared above, I think my story meandered a bit and had too many villains - it got too complicated. ConDev - as a mob - was introduced in higher levels and as inter-dimensional pirates, and the AU Gold Brickers were an almost too easy replacement since inter-dimensional travel is their thing. For my own ease, I kept some of the piratey-ness in there, but just justifing that as a thing they adopted themselves for their fun-loving roguish natures. (ConDev as a predecessor to Langston Labs is still in there, but my custom pirate gatecrashing mob is gone...)
  • As mentioned above, Princess Zoe easily fit in as a tech leader replacement for my Carmela and Dalton Langston. (Carmela and Dalton remain, demoted a bit, without the Langston surname - just as researchers in Langston Labs).
  • Similarly, "Pinkie" Langston, the leader of the ConDev inter-dimensional pirate mob was easy to replace with Mr. Rodney who plays a similar-enough role.
  • Fit in all the Gold Bricker maps too - as mentioned in the previous post. So great to have mob-related maps.

Now - with the big sweep done, it's time to pass through again with a finer-toothed comb.

On the off chance anyone is playing through this and sees any oddness - feedback, as always, is welcome and appreciated,

Edited by Ankylosaur
  • Like 1

Made many many substantive changes that further refined the story. ConDev is gone as a mob, as are the Revenants, and I also improved many of little pieces of the story and encounters based on those changes. And that is in addition to the changes from the original I had already made of incorporating the new King Midas, Prince Zoe, et al.

All of this really tightens the story up a lot -if you have not played it yet and it piques your interest, this tightening of the leading players in the story makes the story tighter too.

These changes are so specific they would only be meaningful for someone who played through it all before, and very spoilerish to those who have not, but here they are

Spoiler

Langston Labs mob got a few small updates

• Used the new Sonic Assault powers on engineers and engineering directors instead of the sonic blaster powers. Had considered it for the lab assistant minions too, but there are so many "chance of hold" powers I thought that might get unwieldy on large teams.¬†
  • Added in the Xenologist and Xenology Director to justify the Rikti tech parts of the story now that the ConDev mob is not running around using it.

As to encounters and story

• 2.2 - Replaced ConDev with the Mooks, which ties them in in the 2.x trio of stories - an important story refinement, making sure they show up in each of the trios.
  • 2.3 - Replaced Spitfire and Zeppelin with Fort Knoxxer and Gold Brickster. Also, for some reason there is a level 8-34 Mr. Rodney EB in the gold bricker mob who does not have his Aeon Gloves yet. (Are the devs planning new things at this level?) Here he replaced Carmela.
  • 3.1 - Level changed to 30-34 to keep the range in line with the mob switch - meaning the level 35-54 gold brickers don't show up yet. Also meant I got to use Crey Protectors as placed bosses since that is their level range - not sure why I like them so much, but I do, so was pleased with that tiny detail. Got to use the new Crey Cryogenicists too for named doctors.¬†¬†Added in The Burninator as the GB raid leader - there was not one before and should have been.
  • 3.2 - the inverse solution to 2.2. Here, in the mook warehouse, replaced ConDev with Gold Brickers - their only showing in this one; keeping them connected is a good thing.
  • 3.3 - the cauldron map replaced M4 here - causing me to redo the whole mission. This arc was low on unique map experiences with me originally thinking the Kallisti offices were enough. In truth, the old M4 was a bit of a repeat to earlier missions - new info but similar map/mob experience - so was glad to include this in its place. Removed the Revenants mob which got introduced here - and they are gone.¬†And Zoe replaced Dalton. Considering giving her some custom breakers since they are not in the mob. Also - originally had Manticore in it as an ally, but Wyvern levels were raised, and this is no longer the last mission, so swapped in your pals Ollerus and Hornet. Also took the lab maps from Medium to Small to tighten things up - may not have been needed in M5, but tight is usually appreciated. Pointed out the Gold Brick Trucks and Big Brother Construction equipment at the Kallisti Arena too since that ties it in - should have done that ages ago.
  • 4.1 - Smelter Zoe and the piratey AU's make a showing here. Considering using a custom version of a few placed piratey Gold Brickernauts to justify the Rikti weapon hoarding.
  • 4.2 - Boat portal map and many refinements to dialog. Revenants are no longer in Praetoria of course too - replaced with Big Brother Constructor bots which keeps Big Brother more involved throughout. This is now where Manticore makes a showing which is a much better segue to the finale - should have already thought of this change but better late than never.
  • 4.3 - BIG refinements to the final fight which should really make it MUCH more dramatic and exciting (if not also a bit appropriately ridiculous) and better leverage your huge cadre of allies. Able to use the new Aeon Scientists too. Also toned down the Langston end goal to be one that fit in a bit more - sort of like Glimmers. And of course as mentioned before the new Cap Au Diable map just slide in here perfectly. I also gave you more to do in that final map, addressing @Take One's feedback from ages ago.
  • ¬†

Edited by Ankylosaur

23 hours ago, Ankylosaur said:

tightening of the leading players in the story makes the story tighter too

I wanted to highlight this bit, as I think this is a big deal. One thing I have noticed when playing AE arcs in general - and for that matter the canonical story arcs and TFs in CoX - is that if the story doesn't do a good job of making me care what happens to the main NPCs and/or groups in the story, then I lose interest in fulfilling the story's objectives and find myself merely facerolling attack buttons to get to the next part of the story. So, yeah, thanks for the tightening-up, I suspect the story is improved now. Dunno when I personally will find the time to play through 'Glitters myself, but one day...

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later

While working on All That Glows, I fiddled around with a couple of other stories too to tie them in or just update them based on things @TerroirNoir noted. Just documenting the changes here...

Spoilers abound

• Spoiler
    • 1.3 - First, I needed to include a hook to introduce the new All That Glows story fork. Dr. Helix of the resistance has peace-bringer powers, so inserted her in the lab - another Praetorian scientist that Langston recruited. As a Kheldian, I claimed she is one of the rare Bright Nictus (they do exist) and had possessed the Dr. before the fall - which ties in super well with ATGlows story. On Praetoria no one knew what a Nictus was so just presumed she had those powers, but here people recognized her, and she had no interest in the Council and joined Langston.¬†As a geneticist, she also could foreshadow the human shell tech they are working on.¬†TerroirNoir's playthrough helped me realize that I had a chance to better foreshadow a few other tech projects of theirs too. It also let me better establish the head of Langston Labs, Zoe Langston.
    • 2.1 - The Boomtown exploration in M1 is a chance to remind players about the other story forks and show, not just tell, about some of the things happening there. I standardized the approach here and made sure each was represented with an optional interrogation - a banished pantheon boss, a silver clockwork boss, and a galaxy boss.
    • 2.3 - I realized with TerriorNoir's playthrough that while Burke was rescued in 1.1 M1, you never see him again. Originally, figured I could use him someday for some intel, but I never did. It was time to close out that open thread. He found a perfect new home in 2.3. Also made another change in that mission to better include someone you meet.
    • 3.1 - Mission 4 in this arc has changed many times. In it you save someone from a digital prison, which means I can use just about any map and mob to represent that. Too many choices! ūüôā¬† It's been the Ruladek cave (but of course that sucks)¬†with several different groups over time, followed by the Zig. As I am now using the Zig in ATGlows, and try to avoid reusing maps unless you are specifically returning to the same place, I pulled that from here. I swapped it out with a fun and hard-to-use map in a realistic-ish but silly way. Very pleased with this new change.

Edited by Ankylosaur
  • Thumbs Up 1

One of the great things about @TerroirNoir's playthough is that I get to see the experience through another's eyes. This has led me to do little tidy-up's in the wake of the review.

The latest is 2.3. Terawatts in Terra Volta. As the industrial area of Paragon, it's fairly ignored but for the respec. With The Langston's having Antimatter's rector tech, it's a great place for them to expand to to shore up the aging Power Plant and make some cash. They also build a factory and distribution center there and that is where M1 starts. And that's where refinements begin...

Spoiler

The thing is, this was the second arc I wrote for the series, and I have not really done much to alter it. I wanted to introduce the Robopals here, but I have since foreshadowed them in 1.3, introduced them in 2.1, and let you see them in more detail in 2.2  Fortunes in Faultline. So no real point. In M1 originally, you faced a few of them with the outside of the factory just a backdrop, but It feels odd to have them standing out there.

• M1 - ¬†one of my set-the-scene types of missions
    • Instead of facing Random Robopals in the streets, I updated this to have to investigate those huge destructible crates; one for each of the "series" of Robopals, containing a fully assembled one for delivery. (Can't use Trucks as they can spawn on the elevated walkways). The Gold Brickers guarding each of them reference the type of Robopal and where they are headed and it's implied they fly them there. It also shows why this is a good location for their factory, as they are assembling them in the middle of Independence Port if they need to ship them somewhere. (e.g. Milipals are being shipped to Striga - which reinforces their selling the Praetorian tech to other groups to make money.)
    • Also in M1, I had some of the Milipals wandering. Replaced them with Securipals, and put more securipals in the area too to show they are in full production and use by Langston.
    • Another wandering group were Sky Raiders. I had some custom flying sky raiders going around there, and replaced them with pure Sky Skiffs, which is very Terra Volta after all.
    • Updated the dual pistol Securipals with more interesting secondaries.
  • Much to my surprise, I found references in some clues to Carmella Langston that I had missed and not updated! (Carmella cause - candy - Gold Brick bars!). She was the head of Langston Labs before the new Gold Brickers were released. Replaced her mentions with Zoe Langston. Langston Labs folk will refer to her as Zoe Langston, the Gold Brickers refer to her as Princess Zoe.
  • Updated ALL Robopals to use Clockwork boots to better show the fact that they are just the Langston attempt to humanize the existing Praetorian tech. (previously was inconsistent here on male models, often going for long pants, but modified that.)
  • Plus I fixed the Nimieth typo.¬†¬†
  • Previously, I had done the update with Burke and Delia in M3 mentioned above. (Never tried a Sentinel, but her Archery/Ninjitsu could be a fun concept.)

So as you can see - super minor - but good - refinements.

Edited by Ankylosaur
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later

More updates as I watch @TerroirNoir play through Glitters. I see opportunities to do small improvements and so I do...

Nothing plot-related - but some big refinements in the lower levels to add more punch to the missions and in particular the x.3 finales.

Spoiler

I figured the lower levels could use some more personality and clearer villains, which gave Mr. Rodney and Alton Langston more screen time. Also swapped in Alton's primary to war mace so he could use the goldbricker wrench 

• 1.2 Port Oakes
    1. Realized now that the Gold Brickers have their fancy portal boat, I could circle back to the boat in dry dock in Port Oakes 1.2 and tie that in - making it the same boat in dry dock being outfitted.  In 1.2, the Mooks reveal the Gold Brickers are working with the Family to capture Praetorian tech and refit ships. But the Mook's motivation to reveal this to you is so the Mooks can expose the Family and make them weaker with your help. You are successful, which causes the Gold Brickers to change their alliance to the Mooks - really whoever controls the dry docks in Port Oakes. So I went in and made implications that the ship they were re-fitting in 1.2 is the ship with the D-Rifter portal on it before It is improved
    2. While there, I realized I had another opportunity. You have Ollerus (an EB) as your ally while doing a raid on a Gold Bricker cargo ship. Well, now that there is a version of Mr. Rodney - pre-AU gloves - that is set for levels 8-34, I put him in as the raid leader. Makes for a better fight when you have an EB ally and gives him a chance to tie this in a little bit more. His dialog also sets the stage for him using pirate names for his AU Gold Brickers MUCH later - like he had the idea while fighting you. (So who was Mr. Rivers in @TerroirNoir' playthrough is now a low level Mr. Rodney.)
    3. Also pointed out where you can find Mr. Rodney in the game - in front of the Langston mansion in Cap.
  • 1.3 Cap Au Diable
    1. In M5 - Added Rodney in the finale too - he makes the Mook transition of power and Golden Sphinx ship update clearer too.
    2. That meant I added in Ollerus to help you combat him.
    3. Which meant Dr. Cohen got boosted to an EB, too, to make sure he could stand his ground a bit better.
    4. Makes this ending feel like more of a fight and more significant.
  • 2.1 Boomtown¬†
    1. Decided Mr. Rodney could appear here too as its the first gold Bricker foray into Paragon that you know of - makes for a nice through line. Puts a face to Langston
  • 2.3 Terra Volta
    1. And on the flip side, Alton Langston was in 2.1, but there was no AV in 2.3 (after his sister Carmela was no more). I added in Alton as the final fight here too, since it's his job site in Terra Volta. So that makes Rodney a through-line through the first half and gives Alton more prominence in 2.x, which is appropriate. 

And then I dressed up a few things at higher levels too.

• 3.3 and 4.2
    1. In Kingston heights, I realized I was missing an opportunity to populate the area using Release Captives. So now there are lots of vendor carts and citizens ready to defend themselves from Vigilantes like you in their neighborhood. Sadly, the mob does not seem to use all the eating hamburgers, donuts, and drinking coffee animations I had in mind for them, but what can you do...
    2. I also put the Rikti bombs back in 4.2 to bring some life (6 non-required defendable objects that Gold Brickers swoop in and destroy.)
    3. In 4.2, on the boat, since you have SO many AV allies, populated more bosses.
    4. Also in 4.2 tied in the 1.2 Golden Sphinx ship.
  • 4.3 - in anticipation of the playthrough
    1. Added a callback to the Crey mission of 3.1 since Crey is naturally in The Fab - they would be upset that Langston is there now too.
    2. Did a tiny bit more justification for Lord Recluse's actions by giving Crimson some intel that makes Recluse's actions supported by his own motivation and not just a reaction to Langston's actions.
    3. Cleaned up some text in the final clues and tried better populating the final denouement that is M5. Still not sure it's quite all it can be, but like above, used more release captives too.
    4. Made a better showing in M5 for everyone's favorite demon summoner.

• ¬†
Edited by Ankylosaur
  • Thumbs Up 2

You know, that post, above started with just some small things but caused me to move several things around.

When I integrated the new Gold Brickers, I was so focused on Zoe, and swapping in the high end AU Gold Brickers, that I did not pay enough attention to the change in story from the mid down. I plugged holes, putting Princes Zoe in for Dalton and Mr. Rodney in for Carmella, but did not really re-think it - and @TerroirNoir playthrough made me realize a few things - in particular that 

1. 1.3 and 2.3, section finales - did not end with a big win/fight.
  2. Mr. Rodney (as a OOB mob who spans in different forms) 8-54, presented an opportunity to span the whole thing.
  3. The integration of the Mooks in 2.x and 3.x could carry a thread forward.

So this took me back to an early post in this thread about who the Langston's are and what their motivations are. I kind of subbed in the new Gold Brickers into their old roles, without looking with fresh eyes.

Spoiler

• Mr. Rodney - he is a right-hand to Midas who, with William, is orchestrating the Gold Brickers. He replaced "Pinkie" Langston, on the high levels, leader of the inter-dimensional pirate raiders. Since adding him as the raid lead in 1.2, I realized could have him lead all the raids that happen throughout the series, making sure he shows up in each little trilogy until he transforms to leading the AU Gold Brickers. This makes him more interesting and gives another evolution and multi-level thread.¬†This also had me pull him out of even a few of the places I mention above or where he was before since his role shifted to the leader of raids.
  • Bloody Vicious - There was a super obvious place to include him in the story along the way and make the Mooks, and your connection through him, more prominent. I did that.
  • Dr. Cohen - was a missed opportunity. He claims he was a high-level scientist in Anti-matter's org - I missed a chance to make him a dash more interesting and finishing the chase to find him more of a finale. Now that he is a little stronger, he has a new look tied to his thin backstory and one that makes him stand out.
  • Alton - as mentioned above, he replaced Mr. Rodney (who originally replaced Carmella Langston) at the end of 2.3 as a more interesting and appropriate fight for the finale - letting me put a Langston back in that role instead of Mr. Rodney. Plus - he is much more imposing now with his golden wrench... ūüôā

The players changed but the play is the same. Instead of a random Boomer leading a particular raid, now it's Mr. Rodney. Instead of a random Mook leading a specific location, now it's Bloody Vicious. Instead of Mr. Rodney in the new Power Plant, its the guy who is building it.

Edited by Ankylosaur
  • Thumbs Up 3

• 3 weeks later

After Engineria explored Glitters, I realized one of the things I did not do was really do much to seed the issues with Dr. Aeon and possible motivations against him that would make you feel good about ousting him. So I thought I would pop a clue or three in the series that shared more of the Dr. Egon story and came upon something that I had totally forgotten about, and, well, needed to put in. It's a tiny change with big implications. 

Professor Echo.

In the few instances where you encounter him in the Marshal Brass arcs, you get a sense for who he is, but of course it also leaves a lot of open questions.

So what do we know about Professor Echo...

1. He is an older Dr. Aeon from the future
    1. He (mostly) looks the same with the same armor and abilities as Dr. Aeon.
    2. His hair is white and longer and he has a beard.
    3. We see him "chronoport" - i.e. time travel further confirming he could be from another time.
    4. Dr. Aeon says something like, "Wait, you're me?" to him.
    5. Dr. Aeon's? description in the mission with both refers to him as a younger version of Professor Echo
  2. He works with Wyvern
    1. Which means he's goodish (Vigilante I presume)
    2. He seems to be working against Arachnos and definitely Dr. Aeon
  3. His armor is a tiny bit different than Aeon
    1. His armor uses the same patterns as Aeon, but, where Aeon's is white, Echo's is black - i.e. opposite (His hair is opposite too of course)
      1. Could this mean his change in alignment is that he is from another dimension - e.g. Praetoria?
      2. Or did he just "turn good" and paint it a different color?

At any rate, I have put him into the story now, too, as he clearly has ties to Wyvern AND is working against Dr. Aeon.

Played through the Marshal Brass stuff again, and unlike the wiki photo, he has Aeon gloves I- game now too. I also would think he is /time now instead of /FF, now that the time set is available but will see where I land with that.

Spoiler

So what is Professor Echo after?

I presume, based on what we have seen in-game, he is trying to set things in motion that make Dr. Aeon become, well, Professor Echo. Things that might send Aeon on a different path to redemption and leaving behind his villainous ways.

So was he behind the whole thing?

• Thumbs Up 2