Theme-neutral Jump Pack and Jet Pack (flight temporary power)

Purrfekshawn

Now that Homecoming got theme-neutral Athletic run, maybe it's time to make Jump Pack (a prestige power you know - with lil' jetpack that activates on pressing spacebar), without... Without jetpack itself on back of your character and any VFX. Like Athletic run is naruto run w/out narutoing. And/or as well Jet Pack w/out that huge & bulky device on back of your character. Pretending if character has magical themes and these Jet/Jump/Steam devices backpacks fit it right in the eye. And you don't want to spend an extra power point as well (like you didn't want by buying Superspeed AND super/combat jumping for theme-neutral running).

Also about jetpacks - they shudn't be temp power anymore, since with several versions of it you can buy like 30 hours of constant flying, but rather a Prestige Power, that just allows your character to fly. In both with Jet and without Jet varierties, and perhaps something like Mystic Flight varierty wouldn't be excessive too (but without translocation, unlike Sorcery pool power).

Edited by Purrfekshawn

To keep this game safe, We have to give it to the world.

Arc ID #13097 - Archvillain Beatdown, try it out!

Arc ID #21066 - Archvillain Beatdown - Past Edition!

Letz now talk about existing Incarnate Lore Pets:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/50351-incarnate-lore-pets-look-through-fix-and-improve/

8 hours ago, Purrfekshawn said:

Also about jetpacks - they shudn't be temp power anymore, since with several versions of it you can buy like 30 hours of constant flying, but rather a Prestige Power, that just allows your character to fly. In both with Jet and without Jet varierties, and perhaps something like Mystic Flight varierty wouldn't be excessive too (but without translocation, unlike Sorcery pool power).

Maybe just one flight prestige power and the power customization options are for different jet packs or no jet pack at all?

• Like 1

While I agree that it's a little silly that there's so many ways to get jetpacks that you might as well be able to get a permanent one, but can't, I don't think there should be a purchaseable permanent flight power with no jet pack. It seems to me that a jetpack is the theme neutral flight option; anyone can slap on a jetpack and fly.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Vanden said:

While I agree that it's a little silly that there's so many ways to get jetpacks that you might as well be able to get a permanent one, but can't, I don't think there should be a purchaseable permanent flight power with no jet pack. It seems to me that a jetpack is the theme neutral flight option; anyone can slap on a jetpack and fly.

Some may prefer having ability to soar up without spending extra Power point onto it. Like you can do with Jet Pack. Jetpacks aint theme-neutral, it works for Technology or Natural themes, but another characters, u know, like most of superpowered heroes (resembling Superman, Firestorm, Captain Marvel (both of them Marvel one & DC one aka Shazam) etc) may pretend they have innate ability to flight. You can call it "Anti-Gravity Device" temp power, like Flight but can't be enhanced and doesn't require power Point to Spend (and able to take powers from 4 other Power Pools, while Flight not being one of them).

So theme neutral "Jet Pack" Temporary Power (or Prestige Power) - same as Jetpack, but w/out Jet Pack model on the back of the character. Call it "Anti-Gravity Device". Another option l suggest is thing that looks like Mystic Flight, but non-enhanceable, w/out built-in Translocation, and not requiring to spend Power Point onto it AND stick onto Sorcery Power Pool. Call it like "Wings of Aethyr" Temporary/Prestige Power or stuff like that.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/50351-incarnate-lore-pets-look-through-fix-and-improve/

23 hours ago, Dragon Crush said:

I feel if they were to hand out prestige flight to everyone it'd have to have reduced speed (faster than hover, but not full fly speed either) and unslottable. And maybe toss PBs another bone since one of their things is innate flight.

I think that's more than fair to reduce their effectiveness and a good way to keep the flight and sorcery pool flight powers relevant.  However, I don't think you also need to make it unslottable to keep that working.  I think Sorcery flight is slower than regular flight (I might be wrong) but it has a bonus of also giving you a teleport power.  So a prestige flight power should be even slower than Sorcery flight and have no added bonuses, but should still be slottable because if people want to devote slots there then they are taking those from somewhere else they could be useful.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 3:16 PM, Purrfekshawn said:

Some may prefer having ability to soar up without spending extra Power point onto it. Like you can do with Jet Pack. Jetpacks aint theme-neutral, it works for Technology or Natural themes, but another characters, u know, like most of superpowered heroes (resembling Superman, Firestorm, Captain Marvel (both of them Marvel one & DC one aka Shazam) etc) may pretend they have innate ability to flight. You can call it "Anti-Gravity Device" temp power, like Flight but can't be enhanced and doesn't require power Point to Spend (and able to take powers from 4 other Power Pools, while Flight not being one of them).

I don't think you and I are using "theme-neutral" to mean the same thing. Flying with no visible means of propulsion is not a thing humans can do; if you see someone do it, you have to assume it's some power or fictional super-technology they have. That's a theme right there. Jetpacks, though, anyone can wear a jetpack. Even Superman or Captain Marvel, who can fly under their own power, there's no reason they couldn't strap on a jetpack and use it to fly instead if the urge struck them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Player2 said:

I think that's more than fair to reduce their effectiveness and a good way to keep the flight and sorcery pool flight powers relevant.  However, I don't think you also need to make it unslottable to keep that working.  I think Sorcery flight is slower than regular flight (I might be wrong) but it has a bonus of also giving you a teleport power.  So a prestige flight power should be even slower than Sorcery flight and have no added bonuses, but should still be slottable because if people want to devote slots there then they are taking those from somewhere else they could be useful.

Just going off mids numbers atm, but both fly and mystic flight are way over the flight speed cap unslotted, and 1/3rd their base speed would still be just a hair under the cap at 50. If we made this hypothetical power 1/4th to 1/5th as strong as flight, but allowed even one slot, you can cap speed with one 50 flight SO, so I feel like if we want the base power to be faster than hover, it'll need to be unslottable. Otherwise if it's at hover speeds (or slower) you'll stay under flight cap bumping into ED cap.

23 hours ago, Vanden said:

I don't think you and I are using "theme-neutral" to mean the same thing. Flying with no visible means of propulsion is not a thing humans can do; if you see someone do it, you have to assume it's some power or fictional super-technology they have. That's a theme right there. Jetpacks, though, anyone can wear a jetpack. Even Superman or Captain Marvel, who can fly under their own power, there's no reason they couldn't strap on a jetpack and use it to fly instead if the urge struck them.

Well, jumping 10 times higher than your own weight it's not something humans can do either. And now you get access to Hurdle+Althletic Run by default, those let you do this. There's one pretty common anecdote here - "Can you jump higher than a five-storey house?" - "Of course I can! Five-storey houses cannot jump at all."

So despite your spending any points to have that degree of superiority you still have it. And it's theme-neutral in my sense of this word, because it doesn't care about in which exacly way you get that type of power. Either you enchanted yourself using forbidden ancient grimoire, or drunk from a radioactive puddle, or a child of ancient god of hopping or alien of hopping or yeti of hopping, or replaced your legs with homemade robotic implants, or was spending 24 years of your life sitting it gym 25/7. Or just spend 1M inf to P2W vendor, or revoked Ninja & spent 0M inf to P2W vendor. That's why l call it "theme-neutral".

Jetpacks however, you cannot pretend it being a part of your body or conjured from some ancient spell. Nah, it's technology and always will be that and you don't pretend it's being NOT technology. So this is NOT theme-neutral. It's technology-themed instead. You can copmare it with power-disabling flight options. For natural or technology themes a Rocket Board will look fitting indead, but if a character has high-energy suit or controls energy with the superpowers - there Void Skiff goes. For magical themes of characters - a Magic Carpet all the way.

37 minutes ago, Purrfekshawn said:

So despite your spending any points to have that degree of superiority you still have it. And it's theme-neutral in my sense of this word, because it doesn't care about in which exacly way you get that type of power. Either you enchanted yourself using forbidden ancient grimoire, or drunk from a radioactive puddle, or a child of ancient god of hopping or alien of hopping or yeti of hopping, or replaced your legs with homemade robotic implants, or was spending 24 years of your life sitting it gym 25/7. Or just spend 1M inf to P2W vendor, or revoked Ninja & spent 0M inf to P2W vendor. That's why l call it "theme-neutral".

You're forgetting about possibly the most common theme of all: the character that can't fly. The character that has no nanotechnology or secret magic rituals or bizarre radioactive goo. A power that lets you fly with no visible means of support absolutely does not fit that theme, but jetpacks are still there to give those characters the conveniences offered by flight.