Freebies menu update (pre-Issue 27 page 2)

AboveTheChemist

EDIT: I've started a new thread for a new round of update ideas. You can access it by clicking here.

I've done a first pass on the freebies menu, and have a couple of questions regarding some features to potentially add or remove. First, here's how it looks (compared to the previous version):

menu_compare.png.fa14998bad9a2c61b05548ccd9e054dc.png

It's still a work in progress but here's the changelog so far:

Spoiler

//       - minor reorganization/relabeling of unlocks menu
//       - added in some missing badge_grant commands (some badge tags were naked)
//       - added unlocks for travel powers and for long range teleporter destinations
//       - added Watchman accolade, Midnight Squad access, Vanguard access
//       - Renamed Shrapnel to Artillery and moved to correct alphabetic location
//       - Moved Power Transfer and Preemptive Optimization into correct alphabetic order
//       - Removed unnecessary spaces at tops of many menus

//       - add all levels option
//       - moved PVP IOs under Crafted IOs
//       - Added the ability to grant commonly-used unique IOs

Now, for the questions I had:

1. Is there any need for the ability to set levels other than the five standard options (10, 20, 30, 40, 50) that currently exist?

I personally have needed to set a level other than the currently available options, but I might be in the minority there. It would be fairly easy and non-obtrusive to add a 'Custom' level setting option for setting any level 2-50, but if there isn't much need for it then I won't add it.

Edit: Found this post where the poster mentions that the current level setting options are too coarse, so I'll count that as one vote in the 'add' column.

2. Is there any need to retain the ability to grant enhancements at a level lower than what is actually available in the live game?

For example, Crushing Impact is a level 30-50 set, but there is an option in the freebies menu to grant it as low as level 25. However, the level 25 enhancements that are granted still behave as level 30 enhancements for slotting purposes, in that they cannot be slotted until level 27, and the level 25 versions offer lower enhancement percentages than the level 30 versions. I wouldn't expect someone to want to test with an enhancement that is weaker than the weakest live version, so to me it makes sense to remove the level 25 options in this case. I think this would also cut down on the menu size by a decent amount, but I didn't want to remove it without soliciting feedback.

Edited by AboveTheChemist
added link to new thread
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Monos King said:

I'd keep the level ups at every 10 levels as is now, its quicker to access than the alternative.

I agree, and perhaps I wasn't clear enough in the OP. I'd keep the multiples-of-10 options that exist now, and just add a 'Custom' menu underneath, which could be expanded to offer levelups at every level. So the quick-level users would only see one additional entry below the quick levels, but those needing the option to level to any level would have a more convenient way to do so. At this point, based on feedback, I am leaning towards adding it, but I'd love to hear more feedback on either or both questions.

I've updated the image in the OP. I am trying to get the overall menu to be as close to the original as possible, and I am happy with how it looks now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

I agree, and perhaps I wasn't clear enough in the OP. I'd keep the multiples-of-10 options that exist now, and just add a 'Custom' menu underneath, which could be expanded to offer levelups at every level. So the quick-level users would only see one additional entry below the quick levels, but those needing the option to level to any level would have a more convenient way to do so.

That's a nice compromise.  Those trying to reach a zone level (which strikes me as the most common use case) have quick & easy access, while the minority of more specialized testers can also be accommodated.  Which is not to say that one type of tester or the other is "more important" or "better"!  Only that, in my experience, there are more use cases than the current popmenu can accommodate.

4 hours ago, Monos King said:

/levelup is still there for if anyone wants to customize.

When I wrote the post that @AboveTheChemist linked to, I was not aware of that.  Now that I am, I'm still in favor of adding it to the popmenu.  Why?  Because /levelup has been removed from the Beta FAQ, essentially making it "undocumented" and unavailable to those new to the beta process.  As the dev's intentions seem to be to streamline and simplify the "beta cheat" process by moving from a list of opaque /commands to the popmenu...  For consistency and transparency, the equivalent should be added to the popmenu.

• Like 2

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

18 hours ago, Moonlighter said:

Is it possible to have an option that gives the character the most common uniques?

My initial list would be Kismet, Numina's, Miracle, Panacea, Performance Shifter, Steadfast Protection, Gladiator's Armor, Shield Wall, Reactive Defenses maybe?

Sure, I think that should be possible. At least, I'll give it a whirl starting with that list. If any others come to mind, let me know.

Edit: I've added this for all uniques listed plus the uniques for Aegis, Preventive Medicine, Celerity, and Unbreakable Guard. I left out Performance Shifter since that proc is not unique, but I if anyone feels strongly that it should be included, I am willing to do so. I still need to do some testing, as there were some other minor changes I made that go along with that, but once I have tested it I will post more details and screenshots.

added the uniques option

Here are some more detailed screenshots to show how this is shaping up. Here's what has most recently changed:

• Added a 'Popular Uniques' menu containing the uniques mentioned in my previous post. I am not 100% sold on the 'Popular Uniques' name but it fits and works well enough for now. Since not all these uniques are available at level 50, I replaced the 'Level 50' sub-menu with a 'Max Level' menu, via which Kismet and Steadfast Protection will be granted at level 30, and Miracle will be granted at level 40. For the Level 40 submenu, Kismet and Steadfast Protection will again be granted at level 30.
  • In trying to decide where to put the 'Popular Uniques' submenu, I realized that the PVP IOs menu should technically be under the 'Crafted IOs' menu, so I moved it under there for consistency, leaving the attuned-only Archetype and Event origin enhancements in their own menu.
  • Added the 'All Levels' submenu under the 'Set Level' menu.
  • I originally only had 'Ouroboros Portal' and 'Long Range Teleporter' in the top portion of the 'Travel Unlocks' menu, but I decided to add 'Monitor Duty Teleporter' and 'Rapid Response Portal' as well. The latter two are day job badges and while I don't know of a way to grant charges to their respective day job powers, at least a player will be able to get the badges and start earning charges immediately by logging out near a supergroup base portal. I may group these differently and/or add a note to the menu reminding players that those powers will need to be charged.

new_menuA.png.c16177929eaadc2522f96b808ffea4c4.pngnew_menuB.png.f51d83a3afb8b624fbd1d70bec8c199c.png

clarification
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, SuperPlyx said:

Maybe Regenerative Tissue and  Impervious Skin ?

Impervious Skin technically isn't a unique, but as with Performance Shifter, if folks feel strongly about it I can add it. I can add Regenerative Tissue as well.

I've had a minor setback (my laptop has apparently died) and I won't have access to CoH for probably another week. I won't be able to do any more work (at least not that I can test) during that time so rather than let things sit idle, I figured I would share the menu as it is now for folks to test out, so I can be ready to make and test the final changes/tweaks when I have CoH back. I have not made any changes that have not been documented above, other than adding Regenerative Tissue as I noted I would in my previous post. I also have not yet removed the level 25 options for sets whose minimum level is 30 (as noted in the OP) but I was planning to do so unless there is last minute opposition to such a change.

So, if you would like to load this up and test it out, feel free. I have attached it here as a zip file due to file size. It is named 'freebiesnew'. Just unzip it and plunk it in <CoH Root Folder>\data\texts\English\menus and open it one of the following ways:

from chat: /popmenu freebiesnew
via keybind: /bind <your_key> "popmenu freebiesnew"
via macro: /macro <macro_name> "popmenu freebiesnew"

One other item I wanted to note is that I read a comment somewhere on the forums (I don't recall precisely where) that the 'Complete Mission' command (located under Misc Commands) did not work. I did some testing yesterday and it does indeed work. I did not test it outside of an instanced mission, but entering an instanced mission and clicking the command set the mission as complete. I do not know if it would work for missions set in open world zones (such as hunt missions).

If you have any feedback, feel free to share it here or privately with me via PM. Thanks!

removed download
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

If you have any feedback, feel free to share it here or privately with me via PM. Thanks!

is there a way I can get this menu back to the way it was about a week or so ago? some things are almost completely inaccessible as I run out of screen trying to nav through the options and cannot find the "misc" options with the freebies macro tray button etc...

Edited by Epoch Paradox

13 minutes ago, Epoch Paradox said:

is there a way I can get this menu back to the way it was about a week or so ago? some things are almost completely inaccessible as I run out of screen trying to nav through the options and cannot find the "misc" options with the freebies macro tray button etc...

If you want the 'original' built-in freebies menu, before it was updated on Nov 29, read this post and follow the instructions therein.

The menu described in this thread improves upon that 'original' menu with some bug fixes and some added features, so I would recommend using the 'new' version in my prior post.

If you are having issues with screen space, then I recommending moving your tray to the upper left corner and spawning the macro from there, or better yet just bind it to a key press and it will spawn from your cursor location upon key press.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, AboveTheChemist said:

If you want the 'original' built-in freebies menu, before it was updated on Nov 29, read this post and follow the instructions therein.

The menu described in this thread improves upon that 'original' menu with some bug fixes and some added features, so I would recommend using the 'new' version in my prior post.

If you are having issues with screen space, then I recommending moving your tray to the upper left corner and spawning the macro from there, or better yet just bind it to a key press and it will spawn from your cursor location upon key press.

thank you. One thing I've run into is selecting each incarnate one by one where there used to be a selection to simply "unlock incarnate slots"

I appreciate what you're trying to do

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Epoch Paradox said:

thank you. One thing I've run into is selecting each incarnate one by one where there used to be a selection to simply "unlock incarnate slots"

I appreciate what you're trying to do

Yeah the current built-in menu is different from the 'original' one in several key areas, including those incarnate unlocks. It ended up being included due to a slight miscommunication, and you can read more here if you want the backstory. Basically the menu I am working on in this thread will (hopefully) become the built-in menu (again), which is why it's the one I currently recommend. I had hoped to have it wrapped up this week but as I mentioned in a prior post, I lost access to CoH temporarily so it'll be delayed a week or so. Thanks for understanding!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AboveTheChemist said:

Yeah the current built-in menu is different from the 'original' one in several key areas, including those incarnate unlocks. It ended up being included due to a slight miscommunication, and you can read more here if you want the backstory. Basically the menu I am working on in this thread will (hopefully) become the built-in menu (again), which is why it's the one I currently recommend. I had hoped to have it wrapped up this week but as I mentioned in a prior post, I lost access to CoH temporarily so it'll be delayed a week or so. Thanks for understanding!

Very minor inconveniences and I was able to complete the test build anyway. I can work much quicker on the older menu in part simply because that is what I'm used to.

No complaints here! Thanks again.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Epoch Paradox said:

Very minor inconveniences and I was able to complete the test build anyway. I can work much quicker on the older menu in part simply because that is what I'm used to.

No complaints here! Thanks again.

Great, glad you were able to get what you needed done. I tried to stick as close to that 'original' menu as I could but with some of the things I fixed/added, I think it made sense to do a little minor rearranging so that the new items fit logically. It'll probably take a little adjustment at first but I hope this new menu will be as easy to use while offering some more options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later

I was finally able to return to the game this weekend and make the final tweaks I wanted to the menu. The biggest changes I made were to add options to the 'Popular Uniques' menu to allow access to each unique enhancement all the way down to each enhancement's minimum level. The 'Popular Uniques' can be granted at Max Level as well as levels 40, 30, 25, 20, 15, and 10. For level options other than max level, an enhancement will only appear on those sub-menus if it is available in the live game at that level. For example, the Kismet, Steadfast Protection, and Regenerative Tissue uniques will not appear in the Level 40 menu because those sets top out at level 30. Likewise, the Aegis unique has a minimum level of 25 so it does not appear on the menus for Level 20 or lower.

Other than that, the only changes I made were fixing a couple of minor typos. I mentioned previously (in the OP and elsewhere) about removing the level 25 options for sets whose minimum level is 30, but in the interest of time and in consideration of the relatively small benefit compared to the amount of work it would have taken, I did not make that change.

I have not received any feedback aside from what is in this thread, so I am going to pass along this version of the freebies menu to Jimmy for review. Thanks!

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later

Now that this has been included as the default freebies menu on Beta, I'd love to hear any feedback, comments, or ideas for additional improvements.

• Like 1

Only thing I can think that's missing is the /completetask command which could be added under misc. More powerful than /completemission which only completes the active instanced mission when you're inside it, /completetask completes any mission in your mission tab, even hunts in the world and task npc missions. Requires an integer to function, from 0 (first mission) to 6 (7th mission, the current max afaik), so it could be an additional menu.

Freebies > Misc Commands > Complete Task > 1st Task (/completetask 0)

2nd Task (/completetask 1)

etc...

7th Task (/completetask 6)

• Like 1

Check out the Unofficial Homecoming Wiki! Contributions welcome!

8 minutes ago, Aberrant said:

Only thing I can think that's missing is the /completetask command which could be added under misc.

Sounds good, I will add that to the next iteration!

And in case anyone has any old copies of the freebies menu in their data folder, this is how the current default freebies menu appears in-game:

i27p2_menu.png.52645fad574941f9bd4aa268bb2e8854.png

If your freebies menu looks different (note the version at the bottom), then you may need to go into your <CoH Root Folder>\data\texts\English\menus and delete out any old versions of freebies menus. This could include files named 'freebiesmenu.mnu' or any other menu files where the first and top-most 'Menu' string in the file looks like:

Menu "freebiesmenu"

• Thanks 1

My suggestion is to add the commands to directly grant the superior versions of the Archetype / Event enhancements.

For example:

} // Ascendency of the Dominator - Get 3
            Divider
            Title "Get 1"
			Menu "Superior"
			{
				Divider
				Title "Superior"
				Option "Whole Set" "boostset Superior_Ascendency_of_the_Dominator 1"
			}
            Menu "Attuned"
            {
                Divider
                Title "Attuned"

I had thought about just putting a "Superior - Whole Set" grant at the root of the Archetype / Event set menu so that there were fewer menus to open.

For me the superior grants were the primary motivation to make a local edit of the freebies menu.

Thank you for these edits!

Edited by Hekatos
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hekatos said:

My suggestion is to add the commands to directly grant the superior versions of the Archetype / Event enhancements.

Thanks for the suggestion and reminder. I had been meaning to explore to see if this was even possible, and in addition to the 'whole set' command you provided, I was also able to work out the syntax for individual enhancements. I'll definitely add that into the next iteration.

Speaking of which, I had some ideas for more changes (which I hope will be improvements), but I wanted to get the Dev's blessing before I posted a thread about them. I plan to post a thread in the next few days describing my ideas to illicit some feedback if it would be worth implementing them or not.

• AboveTheChemist changed the title to Freebies menu update (pre-Issue 27 page 2)

I've started a new thread to discuss any updates going forward. I've copied the most recent suggestions there, and added some ideas of my own. You can access the new thread via this link.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

I've started a new thread to discuss any updates going forward. I've copied the most recent suggestions there, and added some ideas of my own. You can access the new thread via this link.

You might ask the GM's to lock this thread.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)