The Classic Hero Challenge

ineffablebob

18 hours ago, Jacke said:

Tried a straight jump up along the side.  Couldn't find enough features to catch on to work my way up.  Saw those big holes on the sides of the neighbouring building and on the other side of the main one.  Tried working my way up, but just couldn't keep making the jumps between the buildings.  Without a teammate with Hover or Fly and Recall Friend Teleport Target, this one will have to be for after Level 40.

Remind me next time we're both on, I'll alt to therra (teleport + recall) and yoink whoever wants it up there.

... hmm, I should try to get to it without teleport myself. That and Ace, though I think that one was placed with the assumption you'd have travel powers. I don't remember an "easy" way up the statue.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

You know what other badge can be a challenge to get without those handy P2W powers or a vertical travel power? Old Fashioned. If all you have is Sprint, there's no good way to get up to the donut in Faultline. At least, not on a low-teens character...might be possible later on as jump distance in Hurdle improves. Learned that lesson on Cerulean Knight, who has only Sprint and Super Speed, and was unable to get up on the donut shop roof when he was in Faultline around level 15.

You know, I never looked at that closely. I kind of assumed the neon band was some sort of ridge. But nope... can't even hop up from the tree in back, you just land short.

Edit: Same with towering inferno. There's a ridge if you jump off the billboard, but it just stops you from falling to the ground if you manage to catch it - it doesn't help you get up to the badge.

Edited by Greycat

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

3 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Remind me next time we're both on, I'll alt to therra (teleport + recall) and yoink whoever wants it up there.

... hmm, I should try to get to it without teleport myself. That and Ace, though I think that one was placed with the assumption you'd have travel powers. I don't remember an "easy" way up the statue.

LOL, I just realised my 2nd account Everlasting anchor toon, Jacke2, though only Level 6, will have a temp flight power and Assemble the Team, so I could get "Towering Inferno" on my own.

But it's trying to get these Badges as if Badges were in Issue 0.  Which I see others are trying too. 🙂

Action shot from round two! In appropriate aspect ratio, roughly...

Classic Synapse 2.jpg

• Like 1

I only have the one Classic toon who ran on the Synapse Task Force last Friday.  So tonight I brought my Rad/Rad Defender Jacke Rad to help irradiate things. 🙂

20210118b.Jacke_Rad.Launch_Reenactors.Synapse_TF.2.screenshot_210118-03-13-05.thumb.jpg.6a6f796ea826f23e905877e5148c226a.jpg

This thread is already 13 pages. Are we allowed to inspiration convert? I don't think that was a thing when I started. (Issue 4)

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

5 minutes ago, KC4800 said:

Are we allowed to inspiration convert?

I came in around issue 7 and you counldn't convert then, so...

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

that's what I thought, I haven't been converting up to this point

I am running a Katana/DA scrapper on reunion named Ghost Legacy.

Edited by KC4800
  • Like 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

On 1/19/2021 at 4:57 PM, KC4800 said:

Are we allowed to inspiration convert? I don't think that was a thing when I started. (Issue 4)

I can't remember when Inspiration combining was added either.

When we know, we try to hew to how things were in Issue 0.  But we can't change many things.  And some changes were such improvements, some of us have a hard time to pass them up.  Like simulating the split Yellow and Green Monorail Lines.

I've avoided combining Inspirations.

Sources of information below.  They're incomplete too, but they document so many changes.

The per-Issue pages listed here

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Issues

The Guide to Issues aka "When did they add/change that?"

Feel like we'll need a redside group purty coon.  I'm thinking Issue 7, which is about where I came in (when you're old, you can't remember nuthin' specifically...except injuries). 

Just wondering what the powersets were. Any way to determine without having to click through the entire powerset wikis?

Other option is to run "spirit of Classic," which hews to using old school Enhances/travel and all that, and using villain-side only ATs. Even doing red that way (without the temp travels, for ex), makes it already a basic challenge (rooftops? oookay...)

Suggestions?

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

20 hours ago, cranebump said:

Feel like we'll need a redside group purty coon.  I'm thinking Issue 7, which is about where I came in (when you're old, you can't remember nuthin' specifically...except injuries). 

Just wondering what the powersets were. Any way to determine without having to click through the entire powerset wikis?

Other option is to run "spirit of Classic," which hews to using old school Enhances/travel and all that, and using villain-side only ATs. Even doing red that way (without the temp travels, for ex), makes it already a basic challenge (rooftops? oookay...)

Suggestions?

Issue 7 would let your villains get Patron pools (starting at 41) and finish leveling to 50, so it seems like a good starting point.

As for the powersets... it seems like the AT entries in the wiki are far better to check since they list the issues that powersets were added. 🙂

<list of individual charts snipped to save vertical screen space, since charts are filling the thread>

Edited by siolfir
included in message text

Here's all the Issue 7 powersets

Mastermind Dominator Corruptor Stalker Brute
Primary Secondary Primary Secondary Primary Secondary Primary Secondary Primary Secondary
Mercenaries Dark Miasmas Fire Control Energy Assault Assault Rifle Cold Domination Claws Energy Aura Dark Melee Dark Armor
Necromancy Force Field Gravity Control Fiery Assault Dark Blast Dark Miasmas Energy Melee Ninjitsu Energy Melee Energy Aura
Ninjas Poison Ice Control Icy Assault Energy Blast Kinetics Martial Arts Regeneration Fiery Melee Fiery Aura
Robots Traps Mind Control Psionic Assault Fire Blast Radiation Emission Ninja Blade Super Reflexes Stone Melee Stone Armor
Thugs Trick Arrow Plant Control Thorny Assault Ice Blast Sonic Resonance Spines  Dark Armor Super Strength Invulnerability
        Sonic Blast Thermal Radiation Dark Melee   Electric Melee Electric Armor
         Radiation Blast  Traps      

PLUS

PATRON POOLS
Mace Mastery
Leviathan Mastery
Mu Mastery
Soul Mastery

Edited by Normal Thomas
removed earth control

Global Handle: @Future Force Warrior

Level 50s: Operative Grantz (Pure Bane/Mace Mastery), Dr. Eisenfield (Gravity/Time/Mu), Air Liquide (Ice/Kin/Soul), Vantablack Stare (Illusion/Traps/Ice), Medic 2004 (Empathy/Energy/Soul)

All on Everlasting

4 minutes ago, Normal Thomas said:

Primary Secondary Primary Secondary Primary Secondary Primary Secondary Primary Secondary
Mercenaries Dark Miasmas Earth Control Energy Assault Assault Rifle Cold Domination Claws Energy Aura Dark Melee Dark Armor
Necromancy Force Field Fire Control Fiery Assault Dark Blast Dark Miasmas Energy Melee Ninjitsu Energy Melee Energy Aura
Ninjas Poison Gravity Control Icy Assault Energy Blast Kinetics Martial Arts Regeneration Fiery Melee Fiery Aura
Robots Traps Ice Control Psionic Assault Fire Blast Radiation Emission Ninja Blade Super Reflexes Stone Melee Stone Armor
Thugs Trick Arrow Mind Control Thorny Assault Ice Blast Sonic Resonance Spines  Dark Armor Super Strength Invulnerability
    Plant Control   Sonic Blast Thermal Radiation Dark Melee   Electric Melee Electric Armor
         Radiation Blast  Traps      

PLUS

PATRON POOLS
Mace Mastery
Leviathan Mastery
Mu Mastery
Soul Mastery

Your chart looks prettier, but Earth Control was added to Dominators way later than i7.

Edited by siolfir

Forgot about that. I pretty much copy pasted an earlier chart of issue 0 power sets and I didn't think to remove it.

Edited by Normal Thomas
*chart

Level 50s: Operative Grantz (Pure Bane/Mace Mastery), Dr. Eisenfield (Gravity/Time/Mu), Air Liquide (Ice/Kin/Soul), Vantablack Stare (Illusion/Traps/Ice), Medic 2004 (Empathy/Energy/Soul)

All on Everlasting

Had a good time tonight running Classic lowbies on Black No 1 with Frostycuffs and Controller 7D4. Tank-Controller-Defender isn't the fastest clearing team but we made it through a lot of Skulls and then rescued the fortune teller.

All this talk of villains has got me thinking back to my first CoV characters. Don't remember that launch as well as I do CoH, but I'm pretty sure I had a Dom and a MM out of the gate. Will have to get myself a classic alt over in the Rogue Isles soon.

13 hours ago, 0th Power said:

I think someone made “we have some issues” as a classic villain group

This was mentioned, for sure. But who made the group? I posted a pic of a redside char I had ready to go, but didn't actually make the SG.

17 hours ago, Normal Thomas said:

Mercenaries Dark Miasmas Fire Control Energy Assault Assault Rifle Cold Domination Claws Energy Aura Dark Melee Dark Armor
Necromancy Force Field Gravity Control Fiery Assault Dark Blast Dark Miasmas Energy Melee Ninjitsu Energy Melee Energy Aura
Ninjas Poison Ice Control Icy Assault Energy Blast Kinetics Martial Arts Regeneration Fiery Melee Fiery Aura
Robots Traps Mind Control Psionic Assault Fire Blast Radiation Emission Ninja Blade Super Reflexes Stone Melee Stone Armor
Thugs Trick Arrow Plant Control Thorny Assault Ice Blast Sonic Resonance Spines  Dark Armor Super Strength Invulnerability
        Sonic Blast Thermal Radiation Dark Melee   Electric Melee Electric Armor
         Radiation Blast  Traps      

PLUS

PATRON POOLS
Mace Mastery
Leviathan Mastery
Mu Mastery
Soul Mastery

So, is this the correct chart?

1 hour ago, cranebump said:

So, is this the correct chart?

Well, unless you want it in alphabetical order. Or in night mode. Then you'd probably want this one instead.

Brute Corruptor Dominator Mastermind Stalker
Dark Melee Dark Armor Assault Rifle Cold Domination Fire Control Energy Assault Mercenaries Dark Miasma Claws  Dark Armor
Electric Melee Electric Armor Dark Blast Dark Miasmas Gravity Control Fiery Assault Necromancy Force Field Dark Melee Energy Aura
Energy Melee Energy Aura Energy Blast Kinetics Ice Control Icy Assault Ninjas Poison Energy Melee Ninjitsu
Fiery Melee Fiery Aura Fire Blast Radiation Emission Mind Control Psionic Assault Robots Traps Martial Arts Regeneration
Stone Melee Invulnerability Ice Blast Sonic Resonance Plant Control Thorny Assault Thugs Trick Arrow Ninja Blade Super Reflexes
Super Strength Stone Armor Sonic Blast Thermal Radiation         Spines  
     Radiation Blast  Traps            

But the powersets are correct for what was available in City of Villains in Issue 7; Arbiter Rein wasn't available until level 40 back then, though, so if the idea is to "catch up" at level 40 then the Patron Pools wouldn't be available until 41, which is why I brought it up before (although I edited that post to eliminate the vertical list of charts).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, siolfir said:

Well, unless you want it in alphabetical order. Or in night mode. Then you'd probably want this one instead.

Brute Corruptor Dominator Mastermind Stalker
Dark Melee Dark Armor Assault Rifle Cold Domination Fire Control Energy Assault Mercenaries Dark Miasma Claws  Dark Armor
Electric Melee Electric Armor Dark Blast Dark Miasmas Gravity Control Fiery Assault Necromancy Force Field Dark Melee Energy Aura
Energy Melee Energy Aura Energy Blast Kinetics Ice Control Icy Assault Ninjas Poison Energy Melee Ninjitsu
Fiery Melee Fiery Aura Fire Blast Radiation Emission Mind Control Psionic Assault Robots Traps Martial Arts Regeneration
Stone Melee Invulnerability Ice Blast Sonic Resonance Plant Control Thorny Assault Thugs Trick Arrow Ninja Blade Super Reflexes
Super Strength Stone Armor Sonic Blast Thermal Radiation         Spines  
     Radiation Blast  Traps            

But the powersets are correct for what was available in City of Villains in Issue 7; Arbiter Rein wasn't available until level 40 back then, though, so if the idea is to "catch up" at level 40 then the Patron Pools wouldn't be available until 41, which is why I brought it up before (although I edited that post to eliminate the vertical list of charts).

Thank you. I was mainly asking because I was planning to pilfer this and start the "Unlucky 7's" (or something--whataver "We have a few issues" turns out to be).

5 hours ago, cranebump said:

This was mentioned, for sure. But who made the group? I posted a pic of a redside char I had ready to go, but didn't actually make the SG.

I checked with the super group register redside and there's no registered "we have issues" group. Unlucky 7s is good too but "We have Issues" is also available.

All on Everlasting