The Classic Hero Challenge

ineffablebob

Newly added Upheaval 2004, since I wanted something controlly. Think she'll be joining teams mostly - earth/rad is not a *fast* soloer...

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I made a character for this, Medic 2004. I even entered the "We Have No Issues" base to get some TOs. Lemme know when y'all play and what level you're at so I can join you. Empathy/Energy Blast is an... interesting solo experience.

Global Handle: @Future Force Warrior

Level 50s: Operative Grantz (Pure Bane/Mace Mastery), Dr. Eisenfield (Gravity/Time/Mu), Air Liquide (Ice/Kin/Soul), Vantablack Stare (Illusion/Traps/Ice), Medic 2004 (Empathy/Energy/Soul)

All on Everlasting

12 hours ago, Normal Thomas said:

Lemme know when y'all play

I'm usually around afternoons and evenings, US East time, but I know others have been on later. The best way to find us is to join the global channel as listed in the original post, and give a shout out to see who else might be around. If you don't already see us in the SG list, that is!

8 minutes ago, ineffablebob said:

I'm usually around afternoons and evenings, US East time, but I know others have been on later. The best way to find us is to join the global channel as listed in the original post, and give a shout out to see who else might be around. If you don't already see us in the SG list, that is!

In the Friends display off of the Chat window, all Global Chat Channels joined also have an entry in its drop down selection, so you can see who's on that's a member of the Global Chat Channel as well.

• Like 1

I’ll be logging some Cranebump time this coming week. Now that I’m 20+, really need to take on old Pos.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Yesterday, December 26, I was on for several hours on my Claws/Dark Armor Scrapper Jacke Shadowclaw.  Started at Level 6, took him through Kings Row and Perez Park missions to Level 10.

Here he is exiting a Kings Row warehouse after completing Juan Jimenez's mission to shut down a Skulls drug lab.  He's Level 10 as his mez power, Obsidian Shield, is glowing prominently around his head, while Death Shroud's mottled grey effects cover the ground.

20201226b.Jacke_Shadowclaw.1.screenshot_201227-00-51-08.jpg.bdc09c08c6d834c963b2572d83c4a666.jpg

Just after this he ran a mission for contact Haley Philips in Skyway to rescue a Mystic from the Circle of Thorns in Perez Park.  Lucked out as the door wasn't in one of the twisty little forest passages all different, but on the edge of a copse of trees in the south of the zone.

I propose we get a number of Launch Re-creator Heroes together and run the old original Positron Task Force, as would have been present during Issue 0.

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Old_Positron_Task_Force

The Old Positron Task Force was the first of six Freedom Phalanx Task Forces, and remains available via the Flashback system; the completion of all six grants the Task Force Commander Accolade, and the Old Positron Task Force does still qualify for the Accolade. The other five task forces are started by Synapse, Penelope Yin, Citadel, Manticore, and Numina.

The Positron Task Force was considered by many to be one of the longest and most arduous Task Forces in the game. The devs have stated that it was originally intended to be two arcs, but that it was merged into one single arc because the tech did not exist at that point for a single contact to kick off two.

This task force was also designated as a Signature Task Force. As such, missions will always spawn mobs at level 15 or higher, regardless of team members' levels. A low level team may have a great deal of trouble completing this lengthy task force. The highest level team member should lead to allow the task force to be done at a manageable level.

It's still possible to launch this Task Force from an Ouroboros Pillar of Ice and Flame, such as many of us have in our Bases.  Do take note of this.

Additionally, because The New Recruits is no longer available from Positron himself, the "teleport to contact" option at the Ouroboros Crystals gives an error, "The portal does not know where to send you." However, you can use other means such as supergroup base teleporters or transit lines to travel to the first mission. It is possible to "call" Positron immediately from the beginning of the Flashback.

After starting the Task Force in a Base, the team can take the Base Teleporter to Steel Canyon, which will deliver them to beside the Base Portal there, very close to Positron.  The first mission in the Task Force will be set and the Team Leader will be able to call Positron by cell phone from the start.  The team can then run the Task Force much as it was in Issue 0.

One of my strong memories of my early days in City of Heroes was this Task Force.  In Issue 9 or 10, I ran this on a PUG with my main, AR/Devices Blaster Jack Dark.  Got to the last mission with just 2 other team members remaining.  But they soon gave up and quit, leaving me with the mission spawned with mobs for 3 players.  It was damn hard, with a lot of defeats and runs back from the hospital, slowing clearing the map.  But the Old Positron Task Force doesn't have an AV at the end, so even though hard, it was doable.  I persevered and completed it.  Jack Dark got as a reward a Level 15 Celerity Stealth IO recipe, which I soon crafted and put to good use.

• Like 1

I ran Jacke Shadowclaw around Steel Canyon today (several times with hospital visits) and took him to Level 12.  Now all his Inf has been spent on DOs. 🙂

I hit 12 pretty recently on Medic 2004. I unfortunately couldn't get DOs for everything but boy do they make a difference!

• Like 1

Level 50s: Operative Grantz (Pure Bane/Mace Mastery), Dr. Eisenfield (Gravity/Time/Mu), Air Liquide (Ice/Kin/Soul), Vantablack Stare (Illusion/Traps/Ice), Medic 2004 (Empathy/Energy/Soul)

All on Everlasting

I was part of Bob’s team, rolled a Cold/Dev Blaster.

Man, we were running the stop a gang fight mish with about 5 of us.  It was a touch and go as I recall.  The many ‘convenience buffs’ that I use normally, tbh, also reduce some of the excitement I remember having at low levels.  I won’t be swearing off them all the time, but this exercise has reminded me just how much teamwork and knowing how to leverage both my powers, and my teammates, really mattered.

I could drop Caltrops, and for small spawns they’d last almost twice as long as needed.  The tank realized we still had access to the Caltrops for slow, fear, protection, so she would pull a second group into the ‘trops while it could help us, and it could help our corner pulls and AoE work.

I won’t run this as my only toon, but with a similar team? MUCH fun!

• Like 1

I managed to get some endurance reduction SOs in some of Craney’s powers. He’s huffing and puffing a lot less now. Of course, now I’m broke. Again.:-/

• Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I guess the redside version of this would be “We have a few issues.” That’s near when I came in, actually. I got the Good vs. Evil edition with the free jump pack and Pocket D TP.

• Like 2

Woot! Lvl 24. Now maybe I can go to TV and finish off that Raider culling mish (we'll not speak of what happened the first time I tried).

image.png.57b8eb5e5ba0bdeda8020e7c5cc595ac.png

I am a GOD! (or not...yet...)

Okay, I'm all in for "We have a few issues," if and when it kicks off. Tutorial and level 3. Sam Meanwell is off to hit snake holes (eventually).:-)

image.png.c2b2a50bd9981e3622f58966f27db384.png

Yeah, that's my ride. Nah, Recluse don't mind if I borrow it.

As you work through these classic contacts, you quickly realize that some of them have agendas...

Arcs.jpg.202e69b5abe2012c07b216ff10cecd1b.jpg

Story arcs everywhere! That one in the middle was a patrol in IP, by the way. A nice multi-mile long jump exercise, but it was rewarded since the next mission was the last one in the arc. So Classic Hero 2004 went to work gathering the pieces of that oh-so-dangerous Wheel of Destruction! I like the temp powers you get as you gather the pieces - too bad they don't last past the end of the mission. Anyway...success!

Wheel.jpg.21b14163d47dabee644d2eeee88b2d02.jpg

And with the arc completion bonus (which is a lot more than it was at launch, by the way), that's level 25! Couple more slots for Short Circuit, looking forward to more end draining. And possibly more important, another row of inspiration slots! After so long with 10, having 15 inspirations feels like luxury.

She's still got those other two arcs to finish out. Hopefully will have some time tonight after family stuff to get on, find some teammates to beat up the Tsoo and Sky Raiders.

On 12/28/2020 at 3:56 PM, cranebump said:

Okay, I'm all in for "We have a few issues," if and when it kicks off. Tutorial and level 3. Sam Meanwell is off to hit snake holes (eventually).:-)

image.png.c2b2a50bd9981e3622f58966f27db384.png

Yeah, that's my ride. Nah, Recluse don't mind if I borrow it.

Ooo you mean a classic villains team? I'd be down!

All on Everlasting

Hmm. Issue... 5, was it? Trying to remember if SOs were a thing. I think it'd be several degrees easier, in many respects (SG bases, teleporters. Though how you'd recreate losing INF for Prestige... >.> )

Also, nice run tonight. Missed  a call to team a little earlier since I was finishing a mission on another character, hopped on Upheaval 2004 and fortunately Medic 2004 showed up... the difference between a level 8 earth/rad trying to solo and having someone with blasts is huge. 🙂  Now within a level of having superjump, from level 8...

screenshot_201229-21-46-37 trimmed.png

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

20 hours ago, Greycat said:

Hmm. Issue... 5, was it? Trying to remember if SOs were a thing. I think it'd be several degrees easier, in many respects (SG bases, teleporters. Though how you'd recreate losing INF for Prestige... >.> )

Issue 6. Personally I'd view the starting point as Issue 7 cause you're going to be doing Mayhem Missions anyway to unlock contacts. Plus, that adds a couple more powersets for people to choose from.

Mastermind Dominator Corruptor Stalker Brute
Primary Secondary Primary Secondary Primary Secondary Primary Secondary Primary Secondary
Mercenaries Dark Miasmas Earth Control Energy Assault Assault Rifle Cold Domination Claws Energy Aura Dark Melee Dark Armor
Necromancy Force Field Fire Control Fiery Assault Dark Blast Dark Miasmas Energy Melee Ninjitsu Energy Melee Energy Aura
Ninjas Poison Gravity Control Icy Assault Energy Blast Kinetics Martial Arts Regeneration Fiery Melee Fiery Aura
Robots Traps Ice Control Psionic Assault Fire Blast Radiation Emission Ninja Blade Super Reflexes Stone Melee Stone Armor
Thugs* Trick Arrow Mind Control Thorny Assault Ice Blast Sonic Resonance Spines  Dark Armor* Super Strength Invulnerability
    Plant Control   Sonic Blast Thermal Radiation Dark Melee*   Electric Melee* Electric Armor*
         Radiation Blast  Traps      

* - came in issue 7

And then you got all the Patron Pools which you couldn't switch out of until Issue 13 (nearly two years after they were introduced!)

Edited by Normal Thomas

All on Everlasting

Early morning run with Craney. Tried to farm some Raiders again in TV. Got my arse handed to me. If only I had...

image.png.aaac9157020870a90e706e911e7ab4ea.png

an angel on my shoulder?

(Went SJing back to tram and happened to land here. Honestly didn't know this was here.)