Time to enforce the name holding expiration rules

Kazuuk

10 hours ago, Snowdaze said:

I still don't feel like doorsitting for a couple hours warrants the privilege to have your name be immune from a name release.

Oh, I don't know... Those of us who dual-box with our own farmers leveling our own lowbies are still doing the work. Maybe not to your exacting standards, but we're still not exactly wandering off to make coffee while someone else smashes a boatload of goons. 😝

• Like 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

On 12/13/2020 at 2:44 PM, Galaxy Brain said:

That means there will be inactive names just sitting there when they are a commodity.

Sorry to quote from a few days ago, but names have no value when you can generate them easily.  Its like counterfeit money, its just face value and highly desirable for a particular string of text when in fact I can just faceroll across the keyboard a random string of letters.  Hence; no value except to the person who desires that string of letters.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

It all comes down to when is a players want to have a certain character name greater than the player that already has the name wants to have the character name.

I would also remind all of you that want a character name that is already taken, just because a name is "freed up" does mean that you will be the one that gets it when that happens. The more "wanted" or "likely to be picked" that name is, the quicker it will be snatched up.

The same way people are accused of "squatting" on names, there will be people waiting to pounce if it is announced that a name purge is going to happen at a set time/date. I'm not sure that there is much of a difference between the two.

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

19 hours ago, Snowdaze said:

I still don't feel like doorsitting for a couple hours warrants the privilege to have your name be immune from a name release.

How wonderfully convenient that you think the privilege should only be given to people that share your playstyle. You seem like a swell guy.

19 hours ago, Snowdaze said:

I really like the originally posted policy, I think it's mostly fair and checks all the right boxes, but right at the top the very top that permanence purely for 50's seems like a giant loop hole that caters to powerleveling in AE, something that was specifically fought against back in the days of live. Fought against not eliminated, but definitely frowned upon. And I understand that the farming community has become an integral part of the HC community at large, they provide a large portion of AH goods. I still don't feel like doorsitting for a couple hours warrants the privilege to have your name be immune from a name release.

Zero reason to use this as an excuse for a vendetta against others who play differently.  You can get to 50 easily outside of AE with free XP boosts and just running TFs.

28 minutes ago, arcaneholocaust said:

I specifically mentioned a pinned thread twice in a row, so no, you didn’t find anything I couldn’t. So please get over your little attitude here.

Well if you're so good at finding names it shouldn't be so hard finding forums too tbh

Or is there a gaping void where your common sense is supposed to be

9 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

Oh, I don't know... Those of us who dual-box with our own farmers leveling our own lowbies are still doing the work. Maybe not to your exacting standards, but we're still not exactly wandering off to make coffee while someone else smashes a boatload of goons. 😝

I also duel box and farm, but I dont powerlevel... Still think all 50's should be required to log in once and a while on an extended schedule.

44 minutes ago, arcaneholocaust said:

How wonderfully convenient that you think the privilege should only be given to people that share your playstyle. You seem like a swell guy.

Nope, all players should have to log in there 50's powerleveled or not. No discriminations, no preferences. Thank you for your personal attack, I hope it made you feel big and important.

43 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Zero reason to use this as an excuse for a vendetta against others who play differently.  You can get to 50 easily outside of AE with free XP boosts and just running TFs.

Also misunderstanding, I don't think any 50 should be immune at this time, because of the amount of inactive accounts at this time. And yes while I will vocally be against powerleveling because an "idle clicker" game achieves the same effect in the brain. I recognize that you have chosen this as your place of recreation, and as long as you are ('active' might not be the most apt word) at least logging on to play and socialize or what have you. So while I might not share your method of past time, I do recognize your right to it.

But the simple neurochemical fact remains, a player is going to me much less attached and invested in a powerleveled character that just dinged 50, then a player that has already spend 40 hours taking the long way up to just ding 50.

I'm not saying you are wrong for choosing powerleveling, I'm saying the player who doesn't powerlevel has more invested (measurably in time at the very least)

You all should just log in an play your characters once a year... it's not a big ask, stop pretending like its the end of the world!
**I am SOOOOOOOO trying to be on my best behavior here, there are sooooo many political analogies I am not posting!**

Edited by Snowdaze
  • Like 2

I have a Darkness Manipulation Proposal: Let me know what you think!

1 minute ago, Snowdaze said:

I also duel box and farm, but I dont powerlevel... Still think all 50's should be required to log in once and a while on an extended schedule.

I'm actually not completely opposed to the idea of having to ping 50s occasionally to keep them, even though I did specifically finish leveling a few of my gang on a less-visited server just so I wouldn't have to worry about the issue. I just think it's funny that people STILL get testy, after all these years, over how other players choose to level their characters. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

1 minute ago, Coyotedancer said:

I'm actually not completely opposed to the idea of having to ping 50s occasionally to keep them, even though I did specifically finish leveling a few of my gang on a less-visited server just so I wouldn't have to worry about the issue. I just think it's funny that people STILL get testy, after all these years, over how other players choose to level their characters. 

I am also not opposed to turning the protected 50 rule back on at some point in the future, but there were just SOOOOO many accounts and characters made when HC was stood up. Some of that needs to be cleaned out especially since most are likely not to return.

• Like 2

I have a Darkness Manipulation Proposal: Let me know what you think!