My computer may be dying

EmmySky

Considering how abundant parts can be, you can get a cheap keyboard and monitor to attach to your laptop since your problem looks mechanical and not software base. People toss out keyboards and monitor often, not because they aren't usable but rather because they have something better to replace them. If there's no one to bum one off of for free, a pawn shop or craigslist post might have some for pennies. 

Same with just getting a replacement laptop, you might be able to get one for cheap through family/friends or online ads, you just have to know what is a good deal and what is a rip off. Even a barely working one for $5 might have some useful parts you can use if you keep within a certain brand/model. 

6 hours ago, Naraka said:

Considering how abundant parts can be, you can get a cheap keyboard and monitor to attach to your laptop since your problem looks mechanical and not software base. People toss out keyboards and monitor often, not because they aren't usable but rather because they have something better to replace them. If there's no one to bum one off of for free, a pawn shop or craigslist post might have some for pennies. 

Same with just getting a replacement laptop, you might be able to get one for cheap through family/friends or online ads, you just have to know what is a good deal and what is a rip off. Even a barely working one for $5 might have some useful parts you can use if you keep within a certain brand/model. 

Very true, You can get a decent KB for cheap and a good (not great) monitor for <$100. Only downside is now you've made a desktop. That said, laptop KBs aren't that much usually, but the LCD screen is hit or miss. All in all, I've done a task like this and it ended up being a couple hundred in parts.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

On 12/9/2020 at 12:04 PM, EmmySky said:

3:  Should I just buy a new laptop since this one is from 2014, almost 7 yrs old, and already performs like a toaster and I would love to dual box more reliably and other such fun stuffs.

Thanks!

I’m sorry that your computer is giving you issues. But man, 7 years?! I may just have rotten luck with computers, but I’m lucky if they even turn on in 3-4 years. 

I treat my computers good. I literally only play 3-4 games on mine and that’s it. I keep them cool. I keep them clean. But the last 3 laptops I’ve purchased all had major issues within 1 year of purchase and all had critical hardware failures within 3 years.

I make sure to research them and read reviews. Sure, I try to get good specs for the money, but I still read reviews on every platform I can. I may honestly just keep getting lemons. That’s a possibility. But if I could get my computers to last for 7 years I’d be ecstatic. 

Anyway, from my bad luck experience, I’d say it may be time for a new computer. Still, 7 years ain’t a bad run for a computer!

Edited by Saikochoro

I've had my laptop for about 8 years, and I bought it refurbished.  My spouse's old desktop computer was about 11 years (granted, it was definitely showing its age right before we dumped it).

I tend to really hunker down, and customize and personalize my machines, so I hold on to them for a long while.  A computer has to completely give up the ghost before I get rid of it.

The thing that REALLY chaps my ass is that right now is simultaneously a GREAT time to build a computer and a TERRIBLE time to build a computer.

In terms of sheer performance, we've never had such choice.  And, even on the low end and in the mid-range, we're spoiled.

OTOH, paper launches, scalping, etc, have made it VERY difficult to get newer parts.

If you want to put together a 9000 series I5 or i7 with a low-end enthusiast card (GTX 1660 or so), you can do so reliably.

If you want one of the newer Ryzen 3 chips?  Just not available as the initial allotment was sucked up by scalpers who're trying to sell them for 2-3x on EBay and Amazon.
If you want one of the RTX 3000 cards from NVIDIA or the Radeon 6000 series from AMD, again, they're mostly just not available.
To boot, the RTX cards pricing starts are "ARE YOU INSANE?" and goes up from there.

It's frustrating as hell.

I *NEED* to build a new rig.  My current one is in the process of dying.  And I'm afraid to wake up and find it's died on me.  EVERY MORNING.

And with my job, I can't "settle" for a "budget" solution.
Yeah, I can economize of the video card (I currently already have an RTX 2060).  But I need to get maximum performance out of the rig in other ways.  And Intel is currently NOT an option.

• Like 2

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

I built my desktop in Feb 2012.

Had to replace the Secondary HDD (where I keep all my non OS stuff. I boot up on an SSD)

The G-force GTX 550Ti Graphics card died too.

I'm currently using the *shudders* integrated graphics for the MOBO.

Fortunately, that suffices for CoH...barely.

Unfortunately, I barely make enough to pay my bills.

So, I can't afford a new video card.

You can buy a decent keyboard/mouse and a monitor for around $150 and turn your laptop into a desktop.  Or splurge and spend 250 on some higher quality components.

This is what I've done in the past to give my old broken hardware to my young (and highly destructive) kids.

Edited by Shred Monkey

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

On 12/10/2020 at 8:08 PM, Saikochoro said:

I’m sorry that your computer is giving you issues. But man, 7 years?! I may just have rotten luck with computers, but I’m lucky if they even turn on in 3-4 years. 

I treat my computers good. I literally only play 3-4 games on mine and that’s it. I keep them cool. I keep them clean. But the last 3 laptops I’ve purchased all had major issues within 1 year of purchase and all had critical hardware failures within 3 years.

I make sure to research them and read reviews. Sure, I try to get good specs for the money, but I still read reviews on every platform I can. I may honestly just keep getting lemons. That’s a possibility. But if I could get my computers to last for 7 years I’d be ecstatic. 

Anyway, from my bad luck experience, I’d say it may be time for a new computer. Still, 7 years ain’t a bad run for a computer!

I've had my laptop for 8 years (so I think, I know I got it before I enlisted) and it's been with me for 1 deployment, 2 rotations and 4 schools that lasted months at a time. For the most part, I use a desktop at home, a phone for various smaller tasks and then the laptop if I need a mobile "desktop" and I say that in quotations because even as a laptop, I prefer the comfort and luxury of a good display vs a laptop screen. I also don't like track pads so I'm using a bluetooth mouse and most of the time the keyboard is positioned uncomfortable so I avoid excess typing unless I decide to plug in a keyboard. 

Ultimately, though, I think utilizing multiple computers alleviates some burdens that may shorten the lifespan of a device although some devices are only going to last a certain amount of time. Usually people don't keep phone for longer than 3 years.

Also, I guess you must have been unlucky. I suppose that can happen too...

Got new computer today.  Runs on ULTRA mode!  Decided to crash into an MSR.  Old computer netted me anywhere from 2 to 6 FPS in the bowl during a raid.  Here is screenies of the new computer, in the bowl during a raid.

screenshot_201218-19-47-00.jpg.710e354a599add9286eb0691bb4a6aee.jpg

in case you cannot see that tiny little FPS meter at the top:

505541693_screenshot_201218-19-47-00-Copy.jpg.3fe75580af5e4872a68aa32ea37131ce.jpg

Thats right, 49 FPS IN THE BOWL AT A RAID!  WHAAAAAT!??!?

It would occasionally dip down to about 33 but mostly it stayed above 40 at all times.  I think I am in LOVE!  ❤️ 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CrudeVileTerror said:

Thank you for sharing.  Regrettably that's outside my budget right now.

And go figure, my laptop died a few days ago due to a power failure.   It's now doing the Click of Death . . . 

you absolute dont need such an beast of an Lappy for COH, i have an Ryzen 5 with an Geoforce 1660 TI and run on ultimate grafics just fine.

SO i am sure you find one in your Pricerange who serves you just right.

Edited by Braddack
  • Like 1