Most Unstoppable Tank

The_Warpact

1 hour ago, The_Warpact said:

No reason to apologize, in all those responses I did garner nuggets of knowledge that formulated the info I needed.

I consider this thread a win for me, us, and other newbs just learning the ropes who might have the same questions. 

So thank you.

@Ignatz the Insane As penance, you must now make a regen tank!

*Waits* 😂

Edited by SwitchFade
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

No reason to apologize, in all those responses I did garner nuggets of knowledge that formulated the info I needed.

I consider this thread a win for me, us, and other newbs just learning the ropes who might have the same questions. 

So thank you.

Basically there's lots of ways to skin a cat...

<Cat> HEY!  *SCRATCH*

TANK!

<Cat> SCRATCH
JEEZE!

<Cat> Adamantium BEEYOTCH!

Anyhow, there's LOTS of ways to accomplish lots of things in the game.

Now, if you'll excuse me.  I need to go find a hot poker to cauterize this bleeding...

Edited by Hyperstrike

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

2 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Basically there's lots of ways to skin a cat...

<Cat> HEY!  *SCRATCH*

TANK!

<Cat> SCRATCH
JEEZE!

<Cat> Adamantium BEEYOTCH!

Anyhow, there's LOTS of ways to accomplish lots of things in the game.

Now, if you'll excuse me.  I need to go find a hot poker to cauterize this bleeding...

Its ok.  I got this.  **Activates Tough** "RAWR"

1991562913_tenor(23).gif.b559bf86da823fd47d2c96904e033651.gif

Done

Edited by Infinitum
  • Haha 1

Don't know if we are still posting 'unstoppable' tanker build in this thread or we've moved on, but here's my stone/em completed build.  I sacrificed a few slots on granite QoL (run speed uniques) and ended up faster than base run speed in granite.  With that and the glory that is combat teleport + fold space, the movement drawbacks of granite are easily compensated for.  Honestly, a simple combat teleport to target bind is easy and might be more fun than running/flying around.  I have no ranged attacks, because I am the ranged attack (also i have no slots for it lol.  the ranged dmg purple set has psi defense instead of psi resist which is useless for this guy so gloom/mu/etc are out.  Char with the purple hold set works for the set bonuses but then isn't a very good actual attack).

The new energy melee is pretty great too, I'm amazed how hard total focus -> energy transfer hits for a tanker with this much survivability.  Plus energy transfer's -hp means more resist (scaling resist proc) and a chance to trigger the preventative medicine absorb proc

Here's the numbers, with one stack of the tanker +res proc (the proc is in mud pots and every real fight has more than one stack, 2 stacks will cap psi resist)

image.png.4b0c6f50978284b7f365a41c18031f19.png

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 3.0.0.0
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/Hero-Designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Daddy Doogs: Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Stone Armor
Secondary Power Set: Energy Melee
Power Pool: Teleportation
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Rock Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(3), Rct-ResDam%(3)
Level 1: Barrage -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(5), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(7), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 2: Earth's Embrace -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), ImpArm-ResPsi(9), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(9), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(11), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(11), UnbGrd-Max HP%(13)
Level 4: Stone Skin -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), ImpArm-ResPsi(17), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(19), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(19), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(21), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(21)
Level 6: Combat Teleport -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(23)
Level 8: Mud Pots -- PcnoftheT-Acc/EndRdx(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23), PcnoftheT-Dmg/Slow(25), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(25), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(27)
Level 10: Rooted -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal(27)
Level 12: Taunt -- PrfZng-Dam%(A), PrfZng-Taunt/Rng(29)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(29)
Level 16: Whirling Hands -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(31), Obl-%Dam(31), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(31), ScrDrv-Dam%(33), Erd-%Dam(33)
Level 18: Bone Smasher -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(33), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), Hct-Acc/Rchg(34), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(34), Hct-Dam%(36)
Level 20: Brimstone Armor -- Ags-Psi/Status(A), ImpArm-ResPsi(36), GldArm-3defTpProc(36), GldArm-ResDam(37), GldArm-End/Res(37), GldArm-RechRes(37)
Level 22: Total Focus -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dam%(39), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), TchofDth-Dam%(40), GldStr-%Dam(40)
Level 24: Boxing -- Mk'Bit-Dam%(A), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(40)
Level 26: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), ImpArm-ResPsi(42)
Level 28: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(42), GifoftheA-Run+(42)
Level 30: Teleport -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 32: Granite Armor -- ShlWal-Def(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(43), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(43), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(43), ImpArm-ResPsi(45), GldArm-ResDam(45)
Level 35: Power Crash -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(45), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Arm-Acc/Rchg(46), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Arm-Dam%(47)
Level 38: Energy Transfer -- SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(A), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(47), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(48), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(49)
Level 41: Fold Space -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 47: Crystal Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Minerals -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Jump-I(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(13)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(15), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(15), SynSck-EndMod(17)
Level 1: Energy Focus 
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon 
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 50: Portal Jockey 
Level 50: Mighty Radial Final Judgement 
Level 50: Reactive Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Banished Pantheon Core Superior Ally 
Level 50: Ageless Total Radial Invocation 
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment 
------------

My T4 incarnate choices are mainly focused on offense, but I do have T3 melee hybrid (the defense + taunt) to swap in if i need (never have) and T3 Longbow for the -regen 

EDIT: no stealth powers 😇

Edited by mcdoogss
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, NerdStomper said:

Screw all you nerds.  I play a Dark Armor tanker and I don't Tank or Stealth.

You play a Tanker that doesn't Tank?

Uh.  Isn't that akin to a petless mastermind?

Or a toon that simply takes as many ancillary power pool powers and ignores primary and secondary pics?

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

4 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

You play a Tanker that doesn't Tank?

Uh.  Isn't that akin to a petless mastermind?

Or a toon that simply takes as many ancillary power pool powers and ignores primary and secondary pics?

I was just teasing you guys.  That said, I have found myself rolling tankers primarily because they are the only AT where the cone attacks don't suck. 

Edited by NerdStomper
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NerdStomper said:

Screw all you nerds.  I play a Dark Armor tanker and I don't Tank or Stealth.

lol, I just rolled a Dark Armor tank to TANK lol.  But I built him that way.  My "main" is a dark/dark brute, that is tanky, but teams may not believe he is tanking...at all.  No taunt, semi-steralthed.  loves to range a half hallway further than the team for fresh spawns...

Anyone else feeling a need for a new thread discussing how horrifically broken tanks are these days thanks to all the buffs they've gotten? I'm on my shield/em right now and I can literally read threads while clicking tab-follow-attack chain without watching the screen at max diff while slaughtering Cimerorans.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Anyone else feeling a need for a new thread discussing how horrifically broken tanks are these days thanks to all the buffs they've gotten? I'm on my shield/em right now and I can literally read threads while clicking tab-follow-attack chain without watching the screen at max diff while slaughtering Cimerorans.

Is that at +4×8?

Edited by The_Warpact

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

More info. Took 1.5 months off for Cyberpunk. (Screw the bugs, it's still awesome on PC.) Came back and first thing I did was hit ITF with my shield/em and was immediately struck by how ridiculously easy it was. Just did first two missions and logged off to get back into CP. Last night, ran three ITFs, first with my fire/bio sent, then my shield/em tank, then with my dark/pain troller.

While the fire/bio sent is, indeed, glorious, it ain't shit compared to the shield/em tank. Not on survivability, not on damage output, not on crowd control, nuthin.

The tank surpasses it, and everything else I roll with, even my beloved BZB's, because it doesn't die and still manages to dish out silly damage.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Not every Tanker set can do that. The DDR in Shield is very high and the cimerorans can not break through it. 

Very high defence and very high resists that shield can give makes content stupidly easy. 

I would say DDR needs looking at, not just Tankers. Maybe it should not stack.

Try doing that on a resist set or willpower etc. The defence will break if any and the healing may not keep up with the damage inflicted.

I would say shield may be broken.

Edited by Gobbledegook

20 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

The tank surpasses it, and everything else I roll with, even my beloved BZB's, because it doesn't die and still manages to dish out silly damage.

I've been debating re-rolling my EM/Shield Scrapper as a Tank, because even though the Scrapper is soft-capped to everything it still takes so much damage I had to make a special "combine all insps into greens" to keep him alive.  But I can't have all my toons as Tanks, can I? Variety is the spice of something or other?

Besides I have a Shield/Stone and it's a total blast and I don't want to hurt its feelings..

On the other hand I've been almost exclusive on the Bio/Dark melee Tank. It's a royal blast, Shadow Maul is a nearly 360 degree cone, and I just love the "SLURP" sound FX of the Bio buffs. With the damage aura, it's how I want Dark/Dark to be and how I tinted the Bio auras.

11 minutes ago, Gobbledegook said:

Try doing that on a resist set. 

While already knowing that resist sets have done the Werner challenge for ITF?

8 minutes ago, ninja surprise said:

On the other hand I've been almost exclusive on the Bio/Dark melee Tank.

Got a bio/em tank I made a loooong time ago that I haven't rebuilt since any of the changes. Kinda don't want to. However, bio doesn't hang as well in the ITF due to, as Gobbledegook points out, it lacks DDR worth a dang so can get into a mess quickly if you're not on the ball.

All that said, tanks got overbuffed, yall. Hard. EM got overbuffed. Everything changed, that I've seen so far, since the rebirth happened, has been a ridiculous case of "screw balance, make everything into a god." ... while ignoring the things that *need* balancing like mez.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba

Yes resist sets can do ITF but they won't be able to sit in a mob afk like shield can. 

They will have 90% resistance only so will still take a fair amount of damage but shield will ignore damage completely due to high defence and DDR, barely getting hit and that which does get through then gets hit with very good resistance lowering it to even more ridiculous levels.

Shield defence is not the best set to try to get Tankers nerfed as it is probably the most OP set going. EM is OP also hence why a lot of players rolled them when EM got buffed.

Also it is very good IO builds and the incarnate system that makes characters really powerful.

Edited by Gobbledegook

3 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Anyone else feeling a need for a new thread discussing how horrifically broken tanks are these days thanks to all the buffs they've gotten?

Nope 🙂

2 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

More info. Took 1.5 months off for Cyberpunk. (Screw the bugs, it's still awesome on PC.)

Whaaat?! You admit to cheating on the One True Game™, come back and your instinct is to look into nerfherditry? I say thee nay, sir!

But for real, just play an archetype that isn't as tough if what you're looking for is "hair-on-fire-seat-of-your-pants-could-die-at-any-moment" type play.

Maybe look into building a Controller or Dominator that can do the +4x8 ITF challenge. Or a Defender. Or a petless Mastermind.

Maybe even start with Regeneration as an armor set and make a Fully Toggle-less build (not even combat jump) and try your hand at +4x8 ITFs.

Archetype and Powerset selection are among the many tools available on Homecoming to adjust the challenge level of your gameplay.

(PS, all of this is meant in the spirit of good fun and friendly community banter! 🙂 )

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Gobbledegook said:

Yes resist sets can do ITF but they won't be able to sit in a mob afk like shield can. 

They will have 90% resistance only so will still take a fair amount of damage but shield will ignore damage completely due to high defence and DDR, barely getting hit and that which does get through then gets hit with very good resistance lowering it to even more ridiculous levels.

Shield defence is not the best set to try to get Tankers nerfed as it is probably the most OP set going. EM is OP also hence why a lot of players rolled them when EM got buffed.

Also it is very good IO builds and the incarnate system that makes characters really powerful.

I get the impression resist sets are heavily undervalued in this thread.

Edited by BelleSorciere
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gobbledegook said:

Yeah my invul puts my Shield to shame in the itf as far as sheer survivability goes.

Invul Dark Shield Willpower SR Ice Stone

I have one of each that can just camp a double spawn at +4/8 in the ITF walk away for 30 min come back and they aren't getting anywhere with taking me out.  Almost makes the argument that every tanker set should have a little DDR.

Thats kinda what tankers are supposed to do.

As far as damage goes - my brutes still outdo my tankers as far as dmg is concerned - especially st dmg.

Tankers are at a point where they contribute to fast paced teams now - I think they are exactly where they are supposed to be.

Funny its popped up a few times lately that tankers are useless at high level.

I don't agree with that either.

As far as EM goes, its exactly where it needs to be - high level ST dmg mediocre AOE dmg - sets like shield, and fire especially boost the aoe output by having burn and shield charge which give an added AOE boost to the still mediocre EM AOE dmg output.

Thats just working as designed though.

EM was so bad before it feels really good, but doesn't perform out of line compared to anything else - from a feels stand point and also numbers standpoint.

1 hour ago, BelleSorciere said:

I get the impression resist sets are heavily undervalued in this thread.

My main is a Rad/SS Tanker. But I also have a Shield/SS and /EM, also many other Tankers.

You need to be ready with a heal, recovery/barrier etc on a Rad Tanker. But it's still good.

Shield can just afk a lot of stuff and still survive, whilst also offering offence.

No I don't undervalue resistance sets, but my numerous pimped out Tankers has shown shield to be exceptionally sturdy. More so than a lot of the other sets. 

@Werner and@Tsuko would testify to this I reckon as well.

Edited by Gobbledegook
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Infinitum said:

Yeah my invul puts my Shield to shame in the itf as far as sheer survivability goes.

Invul Dark Shield Willpower SR Ice Stone

I have one of each that can just camp a double spawn at +4/8 in the ITF walk away for 30 min come back and they aren't getting anywhere with taking me out.  Almost makes the argument that every tanker set should have a little DDR.

Thats kinda what tankers are supposed to do.

As far as damage goes - my brutes still outdo my tankers as far as dmg is concerned - especially st dmg.

Tankers are at a point where they contribute to fast paced teams now - I think they are exactly where they are supposed to be.

Funny its popped up a few times lately that tankers are useless at high level.

I don't agree with that either.

As far as EM goes, its exactly where it needs to be - high level ST dmg mediocre AOE dmg - sets like shield, and fire especially boost the aoe output by having burn and shield charge which give an added AOE boost to the still mediocre EM AOE dmg output.

Thats just working as designed though.

EM was so bad before it feels really good, but doesn't perform out of line compared to anything else - from a feels stand point and also numbers standpoint.

Yes invuln is better but less offensive.

Yes perhaps all sets should get some DDR or reduce some others with SR being the king of DDR. Shield gets 90%+ though on a Tanker so they are pretty much immune.

8 minutes ago, Gobbledegook said:

Yes invuln is better but less offensive.

Yes perhaps all sets should get some DDR or reduce some others with SR being the king of DDR. Shield gets 90%+ though on a Tanker so they are pretty much immune.

It caps at 90 dont it?

Just now, Infinitum said:

It caps at 90 dont it?

Just over but I'm not sure the exact figure without checking in game. 91-92% I think or thereabouts.

SR is the highest.

But shield is fairly immune.

5% chance of being hit and reducing that hit by 80% or so is far better than 90% resists only. <<< For others viewing.

8 minutes ago, Gobbledegook said:

Just over but I'm not sure the exact figure without checking in game. 91-92% I think or thereabouts.

SR is the highest.

But shield is fairly immune.

5% chance of being hit and reducing that hit by 80% or so is far better than 90% resists only. <<< For others viewing.

It's 95 according to Paragon wiki

From my experience anything 50% or higher is pretty much unkillable

Because even SR a pure defense set gets scaling resistance.

So whether hybrid or pure defense - everyone of them gets a mix of defense and resistance with DDR so they are more durable in high level stuff like the ITF with lots of debuffs.

Now resist tanks like Elec and Rad are more of a cakewalk against stuff like lord recluse from my experience because they have better end management and pure resist to what is being dished out - so resist sets are not without advantages in other areas. My rad elec brute made it a habit early on in embarrassing lord recluse.

But it was mentioned if you are on a resist set and against debuffers - you have to be on your toes.

Dark is a different resist set animal.  It dont need ddr to own just about all content.

Edited by Infinitum
  • Like 1