Most Unstoppable Tank

The_Warpact

On 12/11/2020 at 8:13 AM, The_Warpact said:

In your opinion or experience what is the tank that just keeps going regardless of enemy type, number of enemies, etc. The one that faces hordes of CoT or Vanguard wizards and laughs, the kind of tank that walks over and kicks Scrapyard in his ass.

The last person standing kind of tank, the one that puts "super" into superman, the Unstoppable in Juggernaut, etc.

I realize survivability is more than the damage in dealing with a tank, and I love my broots, but, I want a runaway train kind of tank.

Stone - 1 power to rule them all - Granite, but you pay for it with -recharge -dmg and -movement.

1. Invul

Invul can be made unkillable against any type including its hole - Psionic types through proper IO Set slotting.  It has enough DDR to where debuffers wont bother it either.  You can build your typed defense, your melee defense, and your resistances - when combined with the HP boost and less importantly self heal of dull pain to be unkillable, unstoppable force of justice or villainy depending on your alignment.

2. Shield

Shield would IMO likely be 1. If it had a heal like dull pain, it rarely needs it but on very rare occassions things can break through defenses and resistances arent as high as invul to shrug it off as easy - you still don't die mind you, but its a more sporting exchange.  You can incarnate softcap all vectored defenses, nearly cap s/l resistance and get to around 60-70% for the other resistances. Shield is also a hybrid set like invul.

3. Dark

Dark is the highest ranking resistance set in my testing - you can nearly cap all resistances but 1 - maybe 2 but youbget close enough to where it wont matter because its also quite easy to get very high melee defense and even though yoy have no DDR it will still allow you to absorb the alpha and then some to where you are quite unlillable especially with a enemy drain heal in dark regeneration that is up within 20 seconds even with mild recharge slotting.

4. Willpower

Willpower plays a lot like a regen version of invul.  Instead of defenses per enemy in range you get massive regen bonuses, and with good slotting you can also get high resistances especially s/l which will carry you through just about anything I have thrown at it.  Occasionally you will get a hard target burst thrown at you that can hurt really fast - but even then can usually fight through it.

5. Ice

Yeah not going to bother with this one, ice needs help.

No it doesnt.

Edit: ignore that about ice, I love it now, and filled in the missing pieces.  Its tough.  It moves up to the spot after - maybe before willpower on my list.

6. SR

SR is really quite amazing, in a haha you are trying sonhard but cant quite kill me even though you are close kind of way.  You can go past the incarnate softcap on vectored defenses and with the scaling resistances built in combined with reactive defenses IO scaled resistance you will eventually see your health bar drop to nearly only 1/4 left and then just... Stop.... They wont hurt you anymore ponyboy.

7. Rad

Second best resistance set - can easily cap everything but cold, but without DDR it can eventually get overwhelmed facing heavy debuggers - but past that its largely unkillable also.

8. Elec

Pretty close to rad performance but has a significant toxic weakness, which pops up more frequently that you really have to work around.  Energize is a really good heal/regen component that will save you most times.

9. Fire

Fire is an offensive set, so naturally it is the weakest - but even it can be quite strong but not unkillable unless you kill it first.

Edited by Infinitum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

To follow that up with pictures...

Stone.jpg.80e3363b78769c144cc46f5deb335dae.jpg

Invul.jpg.ffdc34e38aed2b0ae1d670b2e003ee26.jpg

This along with the others are assuming max saturation - but you are a tanker how else would it be?  lol

Shield.jpg.e40621abfcdabaf5200ba5c400ecc824.jpg

Shield can also use One with the Shield - not pictured here - and boost those numbers further - OwtS doesnt have a harsh crash so its fully serviceable.

Dark.jpg.973b5016a1fc3c7cc94cdbe0e01d1ff6.jpg

Dark Regeration is back ever 12 seconds - or less with ageless.

Willpower.jpg.a9213fc20dd9e9607537b95271f8b586.jpg

Willpower like Invul and most other strongest sets usually lean heavily on 2 aspects WP is Resistance and Regen. Invul is Resistance and Defense - as well as shield.

SR.jpg.2b465f5bbd46d7f4f3049e8a4c0a19d4.jpg

Seriously look at those numbers - thats scaling at 50% health - your HP bar literally stops unless you are facing something like bobcat AV with high burst.

Rad.jpg.182d0e58d005a3e2a29d6ed09dbd64da.jpg

Rads numbers are awesome - but the catch is 0 DDR it can catch up to you fast despite all the resistances.

Elec.jpg.60f6160d1b99855de0431e8e8588ae48.jpg

Elec and Rad are very close as you can see - Rad is just ever so slightly better.

Fire.jpg.ad308e8e804d78244d4aa46c5c088c2c.jpg

Fire - again decent - but offensive set.

Ice.jpg.a0d38119aa7a8e6d0f6cf3882a11a11a.jpg

The best I could do with Ice - it works, but its jeckyll and hyde

Its probably better than im making it out to be too - Ice - I just dont really like it the way it plays.

Edit: ignore that about ice, I love it now, and filled in the missing pieces.  Its tough.  It moves up to the spot after - maybe before willpower on my list.

All of these also have Hover at their disposal to boost defense if needed too.

Edited by Infinitum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back on Victory, when I set out to make the ultimate tanker, I rolled Invuln/Dark Melee.  So when I rolled Heraclea on HC, this is what I chose.   Dark Melee boosts Invulnerability because its constant -tohit meshes with Invulnerability's scaling defenses, and its quick self-healing attack (when slotted as a heal, gives you 15-20% or more of your HP) also helps a lot. 

Other armors worth a look IMO are Radiation and Bio.  Radiation is solid against the normal stuff, and excels at damage tyoes that often catch you unaware like Toxic.  The T9 is actually useful; it brings debuffs to the table as well and can heal your teammates.   Bio is an excellent choice for a player just getting started because it doesn't need an  expensive build to be fun to play.  (Dark Armor can also be fun to play, but needs an expensive build.)

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

48 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

To follow that up with pictures...

Ice.jpg.a0d38119aa7a8e6d0f6cf3882a11a11a.jpg

The best I could do with Ice - it works, but its jeckyll and hyde

Its probably better than im making it out to be too - Ice - I just dont really like it the way it plays.

All of these also have Hover at their disposal to boost defense if needed too.

Ouch that Fire defense Hole 

Edited by Haijinx

@Infinitum, you forgot my beloved Bio.

OFFENSIVE ADAPTATION, with one enemy to fuel DNA Siphon(which is 3 seconds off from perma) I regen 80.77 HP/SEC, with these stats...

image.png.0989371c1b1b9f3a0a9a76592f531041.png

In DEFENSIVE ADAPTATION, with one enemy to fuel DNA Siphon, I regen 85.8 HP/SEC with these stats...

image.png.5471a9af431db3bba2cdf2faffa54a1f.png

With DNA Siphon (1 enemy) and Parasitic Aura (1 enemy), I regen 92.17 HP/SEC in OFFENSIVE and 97.91 HP/SEC in DEFENSIVE. In actual gameplay, I've hit 297 HP/SEC in Offensive a few times.

This is Bio/Rad, with NO incarnate powers running. The downside to Bio, IMO, is -Regen/-Max HP and Defense Debuffs. Those pesky Romans can take your Defense AND Regen to the negative if you're not careful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Xandyr said:

@Infinitum, you forgot my beloved Bio.

OFFENSIVE ADAPTATION, with one enemy to fuel DNA Siphon(which is 3 seconds off from perma) I regen 80.77 HP/SEC, with these stats...

image.png.0989371c1b1b9f3a0a9a76592f531041.png

In DEFENSIVE ADAPTATION, with one enemy to fuel DNA Siphon, I regen 85.8 HP/SEC with these stats...

image.png.5471a9af431db3bba2cdf2faffa54a1f.png

With DNA Siphon (1 enemy) and Parasitic Aura (1 enemy), I regen 92.17 HP/SEC in OFFENSIVE and 97.91 HP/SEC in DEFENSIVE. In actual gameplay, I've hit 297 HP/SEC in Offensive a few times.

This is Bio/Rad, with NO incarnate powers running. The downside to Bio, IMO, is -Regen/-Max HP and Defense Debuffs. Those pesky Romans can take your Defense AND Regen to the negative if you're not careful.

Believe it or not ive never made a bio tanker.

That looks good though!

7 hours ago, Werner said:

Another vote for Shield. I’ve built and played high end tricked out Shield, Invuln, and Dark. Invuln seems toughest by a slight margin, but not enough to tempt me away from the extra damage output of Shield. Dark is sheer delight until the defense debuffs show up, but those are common enough that it just feels weaker than the others, even with Barrier Core or Ageless Radial on tap. And it’s also missing the damage output of Shield. I also like how much Shield buffs the party’s defense. But all of them are very solid and capable of ridiculous things.

Recently got my Shield/Ice tank slotted out (nowhere near getting all my incarnates, but that's another story). Gotta admit....I've been pleasantly surprised with Shield. AND Ice for that matter. Ice Melee has a decent amount of AoE. I do love to get in the middle of a group, hit Frozen Aura (slotted with a Fury Of The Gladiator: Chance for Resistance Debuff), then hit BU, Shield Charge, Frost, Frozen Aura, Freezing Touch....LOTS of AoE goodness. Plus, I've found that Ice is typically less resisted. 

Debating on if I wanna finish leveling my Shield/Dark tank, because I'm having a lot of fun with the Shield/Ice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Infinitum said:

9. Ice

Yep I couldn't help it I just polished this build - Ice Ice tanker and rolled it in test.

It moves up to the spot after - maybe before willpower on my list.

I ran the max ITF test and the max infernal test, it was unkillable.  Multiple groups, without using hibernate too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

Believe it or not ive never made a bio tanker.

That looks good though!

🤯

BLASPHEMY!!! HERESY!! YOU....YOU...YOU HEATHEN!!!

Thou must go forth and roll a Bio tank now. Perhaps the Lord will find it in his heart to forgive such disgrace. 

And thanks for the compliment 😉

Just now, Xandyr said:

🤯

BLASPHEMY!!! HERESY!! YOU....YOU...YOU HEATHEN!!!

Thou must go forth and roll a Bio tank now. Perhaps the Lord will find it in his heart to forgive such disgrace. 

And thanks for the compliment 😉

Haha I have a bio scrapper that can tank though.

10 hours ago, Haijinx said:

actually I meant more to be "UNSTOPABBLE" to stuff like PSI.

I think for most normal play the Psi hole in Invul can be ignored and you'd be fine.  

But yeah you can shore it up fairly well.   Just devoting slots to stuff like that I find painful. 

On a properly built Invuln, Psi damage doesn't stop you.

What does?

Super-cheaty stuff.  Untyped death patches, etc.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

19 hours ago, Infinitum said:

9. Ice

No it doesnt.

I've been tinkering around in Mids this morning, and planned an Ice/Electric/Mu that softcaps S/L/F/C/E/NG. 

Not sure if I'll go that route. I definitely wanna try an Ice tank, but maybe not with Electric. We'll see.

Out of the tanks I have made I am most impressed by SR and Shield Defense.

SR is completely insane.  I make some debatable pool power choices (I love me some rune of protection on just about everyone - who doesn't love an extra 30% res to all with 50% up time).  That is at 100% health with one stack of the ATO and storm kick.  Forget the scaling resistances, the mobs can't even get my health down far enough for them to matter much anyway.  The second screenshot is with ROP on cooldown.  Sometimes when ROP is on cooldown they might get me down a little for the scaling resists to kick in, but its not often.  Again, SR is probably the most insane tanker primary in my opinion.

image.png.323adb58869ae82b20280de0b0b82c77.pngimage.png.9c428936041310f311c49890503743b3.png

Shield is also super awesome.   The below (SD/EM) shows just one stack of the ATO and no ROP.  The second shows the totals with ROP on.  I could shoot for incarnate softcap, but chose not to for this build.  Shield has all the toughness it could ever need AND it comes with super strong offensive boosts to boot.

image.png.c1fa5d4edcafa11fb50f058e3b24d31c.pngimage.png.894770e1fbbbfc51b8b229d8ca0a573a.png

And these aren't even the toughest you can make either of these primaries.  There are plenty of people that have made better builds than the above, but this just show cases a little bit of what you can achieve with these primaries.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, drbuzzard said:

People seem to have missed the impact of combat teleport on stone tanks. Granite even with rooted on isn't much of a hindrance anymore. You get combat teleport set up with the targeting macro, and you pop around like Nightcrawler on crack.

It's truly a sight to behold. I have even successfully soloed Apex Battle Maiden like that, even if objectively it wasn't as efficient as a jousting character with Combat Jumping would be.

I rolled Ice/ just because i wanted to see what it is like, since it seems to be a red headed step child of a set.

Also, rolled Bio/ just because, I'm wondering about its effects on boosting damage on a tank.

I suppose I could have just rolled them up on Mids but seriously that doesn't tell you if you can enjoy a set and it feeds my altitis. 

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

4 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

I rolled Ice/ just because i wanted to see what it is like, since it seems to be a red headed step child of a set.

Also, rolled Bio/ just because, I'm wondering about its effects on boosting damage on a tank.

I suppose I could have just rolled them up on Mids but seriously that doesn't tell you if you can enjoy a set and it feeds my altitis. 

Bio is ok. I have a pimped out Bio/SS and a Bio/EM. The extra damage in offensive is nice but it can be endurance heavy on single targets.

I find that my Rad/SS is tougher in many situations though. MoITF the Bio struggles when meeting the Dark Kheldian mobs and the bosses. The defences drop, the resists to none S/L damage is not good and the regen buff needs lots of mobs really. It can be worked around but takes a fair bit of investment to fill the survivability holes. My Rad/SS does not need as much investment to be tough and can slot more aggressively, dead mobs are not a threat, 90% resists to most is just better. I had to slot mine more defensively to help it survive and found that it didn't do much more damage than my Rad/SS that was slotted more aggressively and was more survivable.

You need either high defences with DDR or high resistance. Healing will struggle to keep up with the damage some mobs can put out, unless it has good resistance or defence with DDR. Bio can easily be overwhelmed, even with Rune of Protection/Barrier etc. To be honest though anything without high DDR and defence can struggle in MoITF buffed mobs, even 90% resists without some serious healing backup. High defence and DDR with decent resistances are just amazing in there.

Bio is good but there is better in my opinion.

Edited by Gobbledegook
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gobbledegook said:

Bio is ok. I have a pimped out Bio/SS and a Bio/EM. The extra damage in offensive is nice but it can be endurance heavy on single targets.

I find that my Rad/SS is tougher in many situations though. MoITF the Bio struggles when meeting the Dark Kheldian mobs and the bosses. The defences drop, the resists to none S/L damage is not good and the regen buff needs lots of mobs really. It can be worked around but takes a fair bit of investment to fill the survivability holes. My Rad/SS does not need as much investment to be tough and can slot more aggressively, dead mobs are not a threat, 90% resists to most is just better. I had to slot mine more defensively to help it survive and found that it didn't do much more damage than my Rad/SS that was slotted more aggressively and was more survivable.

You need either high defences with DDR or high resistance. Healing will struggle to keep up with the damage some mobs can put out, unless it has good resistance or defence with DDR. Bio can easily be overwhelmed, even with Rune of Protection/Barrier etc. To be honest though anything without high DDR and defence can struggle in MoITF buffed mobs, even 90% resists without some serious healing backup. High defence and DDR with decent resistances are just amazing in there.

Bio is good but there is better in my opinion.

For concept I took Bio and claws, it's a humanoid T-rex, I could fit Rad in instead, I've heard good things and I've never tried it so why not?

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

17 minutes ago, Android Nim said:

I'm a big advocate of ice tanking IF you're goal is to lockdown as much aggro as possible. Ice will strip aggro from almost anything including other tanks. I think of it as a melee controller. 

Yes i tried taunting aggro off an ice tanker recently and had no chance lol.

17 minutes ago, Android Nim said:

I'm a big advocate of ice tanking IF you're goal is to lockdown as much aggro as possible. Ice will strip aggro from almost anything including other tanks. I think of it as a melee controller. 

I took mace as the secondary as a frost giant concept.