Discussion -- Kinds of magical characters?

Andreah

Interesting topic and I really like how you managed to make 4 main kinds of magic, while there may surely be mixed kinds like 1 & 2 combined.
For example: I think of Marvel's Doctor Strange. Studied magic but gained extra abilities from his magic cape and the time-stone.

Nevertheless, keeping with these 4 basic categories I can put 4 of my characters into some of them:

• Emberflair, classic number 2, had no magical powers but gained them after merging with a magic space-stone.
  • Omegamax, same as Emberflair.
  • Mystfury, number 4, had no magical powers but gained them after the spells Emberflair used to save her life clashed with the spells Circle of Thorns put on her.
  • Umbraflare, number 3, was created by magic when one of Emberflair's spells didn't go as intended.

@retrobytz ~ Everlasting ~ usually online daily between 18:00 and 20:00 UTC
Signature Characters: Star Jewel | Emberflair | Mystfury | Lumitia | Miss Unity | 
Novaspark

Other characters - Starlight Sentinels on Fandom

On 12/12/2020 at 1:08 PM, Andreah said:
  • There are those who are classical Magicians - They started life with no magical ability, but learned how to cast spells and access magical power through study and intellect, and could be considered scientists or engineers of magic. These ones are Magic for what they know. 
  • There are those who have magical items.  A magical outfit, magical talismans, a font of power secreted away that is 'theirs', so on. These people are Magic for what they possess.
  • Then there are those who are innately magic, either from birth/creation or from a transformative event. They have magic in their blood, soul, mind or body, but may not even understand how it works. They may be from another dimension (e.g. demons, etc.). These people are Magic for what they are.
  • Then there  are those who can use magic granted to them by another sentient power with magic. The character may be the priest/priestess of a deity, or have a powerful friend or ally who allows them use of their power. These people are magical for who they know, or who knows them.

So basically

• Learned it.
  • Own it/Obtained it.
  • Created by/Born to it.
  • Granted/gifted it.

What of evolving into it? Not necessarily a mutation, and definitely not the obtaining by birth, but odd occurrence happens and character had become something else from what they originally were? For instance, bakeneko from oriental legends, said to be originally just an ordinary cat, but during the Edo era, cats were regarded as signs of impending strange happenings, because they were stretch up to lick at the lamp oil spilled from the lamps since the oils at the time were derived from sardines. Just an excerpt and question really to see what category that character type would fall under in the magic origin filings. lol 

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

8 hours ago, CrystalDragon said:

Just an excerpt and question really to see what category that character type would fall under in the magic origin filings. lol 

I would say that would be "Own it/Obtained it" if it is magic.

Mutation is Mutation. It isn't "magic".

• Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

• 2 weeks later

i have a character who would fit in 1, 3 and 4

she made a wish to a fay and got magic powers (4), but also learned more about magic to use those power (1),

and that wish essentially made her a magic being (3)

Edited by jkwak

back to the Zukunft

@Jkwak

Sword from the Stone.gif

Edited by UltraAlt

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.