Pet enhancement bug

monkeygodbob

Just finished up leveling a Beast Kinetic mastermind, and I noticed a bug with enhancements increasing the incorrect attributes.  I slotted my direwolf with SMoS, for 26.5% damage, SBA for 26.5% damage, and SBA for 53%.  After diminishing returns this should work out to somewhere around 96% increased damage to its abilities.  How ever, when I hover over the power in my enhancement screen it shows +62.9% damage, and +62.9% resist Damage. 

I thought that maybe this was a visual bug, how ever, when I compared its vicious bite damage to that of the lioness, it is indeed of a much lower value.  Where as my lioness does show it has the full 96.1% damage enhanced.  The lioness does get a better 5 second cooldown version of the power, so that might be why its values are that much higher.  So I checked the wolves who have the same base recharge, and base damages of 21.02, and 3 seconds recharge on their vicious bite, and it shows the values of, 38.09 Lethal damage, with an enhanced damage of 81.2%.  Where as the direwolf has damage of 49.46 Lethal damage, with an enhanced damage of either 96%, or according to my enhancement window, 62.9% enhanced damage.  (double checked, and the direwolf version of vicious bite has a base value of 30.36, which means the damage of 49.46 is indeed being enhanced with 62.9% and not the intended 96%)

Mids shows the direwolf power Terrible Howl as having a base cold damage of 37.54, and my direwolf has the power at doing 54.22 cold damage.  if the base of 37.54 is multiplied by 62.9% it should be at 61.15 damage, and if its multiplied by 96% it should be at 73.58 damage.  Neither of these are what its actually at. 

It could be that the base damage for these powers for the direwolf in mids is off, but after checking the math for both Lionness, and Wolves, the base damage in mids is correct. 

After further checking on the test server, it appears that Tame, and train beasts do not include the enhanced damage of your pets into the values that they show the powers doing.  So who really knows if those are being enhanced properly.  How ever, I do see that my direwolf is still using only 62.9% enhanced damage with vicious bite, even though it is enhanced to 96%. 

(Edit, the base value for Chilling Howl is 39.46 cold damage, and 3.06 cold damage DoT, and Vicious bite is 30.36 lethal damage, and 3.61 lethal DoT.  These values are According to a fresh 50 MM on the test server.  the Direwolf on my live MM is showing 49.46 lethal, and 5.89 Lethal DoT, which is 30.36 enhanced by 62.9%, and not 96% as it should be.  Chilling Howl is at 64.27 which is enhanced by 62.9%, and not the 96% that it should be.)

So I guess what it comes down to, is for what ever reason the game is pulling 95.9% enhanced damage, and splitting it into enhanced damage and damage resist, when it shouldn't be.

Edited by monkeygodbob

• 2 weeks later
  • 2 weeks later
  • 4 weeks later

Sincerely hoping this gets fixed. I'm not playing a /Kinetics Mastermind, and thus don't get the luxury of replacing missing enhancement value with massive buffs like Fulcrum Shift. Granted, the missing enhancement value is not a make or break issue for Beast Mastery, but it is still a problem.

Damage resistance is on "Schedule B", where single same-level SO enhancement strength is 20%, while damage is "Schedule A", where SO strength is 33.3%. It seems clear that your damage enhancement is obeying Schedule B.

The problem here is almost certainly related to the fact that damage and damage resistance are, mechanically, the same attribute. This is why, for example, most powers with damage resistance are flagged to ignore external (non-enhancement) boosts - if they didn't, things like Build Up would boost damage resistance. Offhand, I can't think of examples of player powers that let you combine damage dealing and damage resistance in the same power.

As such, I'm not even sure this can be fixed.

47 minutes ago, UberGuy said:

Damage resistance is on "Schedule B", where single same-level SO enhancement strength is 20%, while damage is "Schedule A", where SO strength is 33.3%. It seems clear that your damage enhancement is obeying Schedule B.

The problem here is almost certainly related to the fact that damage and damage resistance are, mechanically, the same attribute. This is why, for example, most powers with damage resistance are flagged to ignore external (non-enhancement) boosts - if they didn't, things like Build Up would boost damage resistance. Offhand, I can't think of examples of player powers that let you combine damage dealing and damage resistance in the same power.

As such, I'm not even sure this can be fixed.

I think you'd be able to fix it by removing the ability to slot resistance enhancements.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 28JAN22)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

I thought about that, but I'm actually not sure if that would do it or not. It may be that removing DR slotting would fix it, and/or flagging the DR attribmod to ignore enhancement. It kind of depends on where the schedule enforcement comes into play, and what it's checking. That code is probably unchanged from the old-ish copy I have access to, but I can't peer at it now.

45 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Same thing happens with the Ember Demon, its a bug due to the nature of Damage and Resists.

Interesting insider information, I feel like I got a glimpse inside the machine! 

Arrrghhh my mind will never be the same again - I am forever changed.

• 2 years later
On 2/23/2021 at 12:24 PM, Captain Powerhouse said:

This bug is because a power should never be accepting both, Damage and Resist enhancements. Eventually, these pets will be modified to no longer accept damage resistance enhancements, and adjusted accordingly. This is not likely to happen until Masterminds are looked more in depth, though.

Any word on this being fixed?  🙂

9 hours ago, monkeygodbob said:

Any word on this being fixed?  🙂

Pretty sure they haven’t started looking at this yet. They are currently testing changes to VEATS if I remember correctly 

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.