I love DP but can't choose a secondary!

Dzuh

I like my DP/Energy, despite I use him in melee, I find Energy very useful also for pure ranged builds, you can get Power Boost, Range Boost, Build Up and Energize only (plus the initial lvl 1 power) which are a good help and don't really interfere with ranged only blasters. Of course, it also has melee attacks if you, like me, also like dabbling in melee as well as range.

Being chased by a wasp is the most complete sport practice!

Having a BUNCH of DP toons from all different archtypes I can say anyone you pick is going to be good.. 

I just made a DP/Dev Blaster, working on incarnates now and have used it in a few TF's so far. It does well, obviously I'm not able to place 8 stacked trip mines the way the game is today but it works well. I think I found a great caltrop slotting of a -res proc and a chance for knockdown. I also worked foldspace into the build for those times I do have stacked trip mines and caltrops out.

DP seems to work great paired with it. And I think everyone in this thread agrees DP is awesome (I have TA/DP Def and a DP/Temp Corruptor also).

• Like 1

+1 for DP/Dev.  

Recently hit the mid-30s and discovered how well a few things dovetail.

-- Smoke Grenade + Cloaking Device allows you to walk in the middle of a group without aggro'ing them.

-- Plant a Trip Mine (or Time Bomb) at their feet, then trigger Hail of Bullets to go off at the same time.

And as a bonus, planting a Trip Mine (or Time Bomb) grants a hefty damage bonus which Hail of Bullets can take advantage of, on top of what Targeting Drone gives for your first attack.

This is a great tactic for solo work.  

Edited by Mack008
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Mack008 said:

+1 for DP/Dev.  

Recently hit the mid-30s and discovered how well a few things dovetail.

-- Smoke Grenade + Cloaking Device allows you to walk in the middle of a group without aggro'ing them.

-- Plant a Trip Mine (or Time Bomb) at their feet, then trigger Hail of Bullets to go off at the same time.

And as a bonus, planting a Trip Mine (or Time Bomb) grants a hefty damage bonus which Hail of Bullets can take advantage of, on top of what Targeting Drone gives for your first attack.

This is a great tactic for solo work.  

You can also put a Celerity +Stealth in sprint for the same effect.

• Like 1

I have a dp/time build that's going swimmingly, though I do wish EoT and all blaster melee aoes had a 15ft radius, and wish it had a 16 target cap too.

These reasons make me really think about a dp/mental for the 16 target cap 15ft radius psy shockwave.

dp/sonic also seems like a really good combo that really makes me think about rerolling my dp/time, but his costume and theme is just so sweet lol. Though i can get those 3 points of stun protection at 38 with /time, that sleep protection in /sonic seems really nice. There needs to honestly be more ways to get sleep PROTECTION for squishies IMO.

On my dp/time, i'm honestly going to drop swap ammo. the damage type difference is only on like 1/3 of its damage making the difference 1/6 damage or less. The only extra damage it really has is incendiary ammo's dot, which doesn't always go off, or tic for the full 3 tics, so it's only like 15% more damage with no beneficial knockback/down.

Putting 5 OF into bullet rain (minus end/rech) and a ff proc in it and the cone, means you can get really consistent aoe kd with it, plus the guaranteed kd in HoB, and winter proc in the pbaoe.

Also in fire bullets, you don't get that -resist in piercing rounds, which with slotting and a annihilation proc in it, can help the single target damage a good bit, and even more so on teams for things like AVs than the fire bullets would grant.

• Confused 1

On 1/25/2021 at 2:14 PM, WindDemon21 said:

Also in fire bullets, you don't get that -resist in piercing rounds, which with slotting and a annihilation proc in it, can help the single target damage a good bit, and even more so on teams for things like AVs than the fire bullets would grant.

This isn't always true.  It is probably less true more often than it is.  

Piercing Rounds takes a long time to animate.  It gains a substantial amount of damage out of Incendiary Rounds but only has -9.6 resistance debuff (Edit notes: -13% as mentioned below, my mistake).  The low quality debuff plus long animation isn't going to be a game changer on fast moving teams (Edit notes: The debuff is just under the Corruptor version, but I still question the value vs Incendiary Ammo or even the use of the power at all. I'm still not a fan of it.).  The Annihilation proc can be OK in Piercing Rounds but you'd really want to run that power without recharge enhancement to make the most of it (Edit note: this proc is not guaranteed to trigger which was the original point).  If that becomes the case, then you're not using it very frequently which ends up becoming a damage loss.  

Dual Pistols can squeeze out some consistent attacks with all of the other powers.  They almost all animate at 1.848s Arcanatime which isn't terrible.  The T9 then becomes the big slowdown attack.  

On my DP/MC I skipped Piercing Rounds and never missed it.  I only use it on my Defender where the -20% resistance debuff is far more noticeable.  The loss of personal damage in that case isn't a big deal.  

Edited by oldskool
Added notes since I was wrong on the debuff number.

Yeah you're only using it to keep the debuff on really, that plus anni proc is about 28% -resistance when using it, plus it looks cool which is a big part too lol. you wouldn't always use it of course. It's also for a set bonus holder for taoe since it takes those and not ranged.

Also, being bigger damage, it's the last one you want to use when the bu proc is still active, so get your other STs out, then finish with that.

Plus, it does just make the most stylish finisher lol.

And also worth it to proc out as well for when you DO use it since you need no rech on it.

It's also worth using if you're good with it's cone, i frequently get 2-3 in it.

On 1/25/2021 at 3:28 PM, WindDemon21 said:

that plus anni proc is about 28% -resistance when using it

This isn't accurate, at all.  This is less wrong as it is misleading.  The proc chance on Annihilation's in Piercing Rounds isn't 100% and the numbers are slightly lower than 28%.  

Edited by oldskool
Correction made.
  • Like 1

Not saying that it's not possible that fire ammo may still win in ST, but just saying that it helps justify going standard ammo and using/getting piercing rounds. The aoe still makes me question though, just IMO the actual increase in damage is pretty crappy for a power pick. I wish they would still allow us to have all ammo types on at once again or give it some other kind of bonus. the fire ammo pales in comparison to most any other damage type boost in a primary.

2 hours ago, oldskool said:

On my DP/MC I skipped Piercing Rounds and never missed it.  I only use it on my Defender where the -20% resistance debuff is far more noticeable.  The loss of personal damage in that case isn't a big deal.  

I also skipped it for a fully-procc'd out Supressive Fire, which animates a lot faster and still does great damage.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later

Probably a little late here, but blasters are my favorite AT. I've tried all sorts of combinations, and always end up with devices as a secondary. And with the changes to it from when it was Cloaking Device, Field Operative is a must-have. I never, ever run out of endurance given its new bonus. Three slot that and Stamina for end redux and you can run as many toggles as you want and just keep Fly on without worrying about it. Super easy to position yourself. Also being able to go almost anywhere I want is super handy. A Smoke Grenade and you can walk right up to them if you want. It's too good.

Right behind that is Targeting Drone. Slotting this means you only have to put one +acc into any power and you'll rarely miss even purples. That frees up slots for stuff like 3-slotting health and such so you have amazing regen.  It also lets you slot more in your secondaries. For example, you can put 3 -recharge into Trip Mine and it'll have something like a 14 second recharge time, so you can stack a few up in short order. And you'll have room for a KB -> KD IO in there, so even when using Trip Mine you can better keep all the NPCs in a nice tight group for AOE.

Once you start getting sets going, you'll be able to have three Gun Drones out at once, which is hilarious.

And I should mention that I don't like melee. I find it to be too fiddly, so I tend to emphasize range. A lot of the other secondaries for Blasters have too much melee stuff in them I never ended up using, and it always felt like a waste. The only power in devices I don't take/use is Time Bomb since it's overly situational IMO. Everything else I get a lot of use out of.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/10/2021 at 2:21 PM, Ico said:

And I should mention that I don't like melee. I find it to be too fiddly, so I tend to emphasize range. A lot of the other secondaries for Blasters have too much melee stuff in them I never ended up using, and it always felt like a waste. The only power in devices I don't take/use is Time Bomb since it's overly situational IMO. Everything else I get a lot of use out of.

I'm surprised that you play DP since you hate melee, and it has many short range powers.  I've seen many posts that DP goes best with a melee secondary.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, drgantz said:

I'm surprised that you play DP since you hate melee, and it has many short range powers.  I've seen many posts that DP goes best with a melee secondary.

It's a thematic character. But I don't find the shorter range all that annoying. And I like the animations. One of the few that I think work well.

Devices just has so much to offer, I can't quite it.

On 1/12/2021 at 12:35 PM, Dzuh said:

Hello! this is my first post to the forums. I love this game a lot and Dual Pistols has fully taken my heart, so I was wondering if there's any less common DP builds people would recommend?

Where's my DP/More DP option?!

Dual Dual Pistols ftw!

Edited by Herotu
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later
  • 1 month later

Dual pistol/ninja training for the win. No need to bother with build up or aim, go for the teleport powerset and toss a single stealth IO into Sprint.

Between Shinobi and Sprint you'll be running around as if you are a stalker. Grab fold space and you become a monster! Sneak into the enemy group use hail of bullets, immediately click fold space to grab any stragglers or ranged characters that you might have missed hit them with a couple of sword strikes, and make it rain bullets. Congratulations you've just wiped out two spawns back to back with no waiting!

And it will be even more powerful with the next patch when they make hail of bullets cast twice as fast!

Edited by Steampunkette
  • Like 3

On 3/24/2021 at 8:42 AM, Steampunkette said:

Dual pistol/ninja training for the win. No need to bother with build up or aim, go for the teleport powerset and toss a single stealth IO into Sprint.

Between Shinobi and Sprint you'll be running around as if you are a stalker. Grab fold space and you become a monster! Sneak into the enemy group use hail of bullets, immediately click fold space to grab any stragglers or ranged characters that you might have missed hit them with a couple of sword strikes, and make it rain bullets. Congratulations you've just wiped out two spawns back to back with no waiting!

And it will be even more powerful with the next patch when they make hail of bullets cast twice as fast!

This actually sounds like a pretty spicy idea haha

On 3/24/2021 at 11:42 AM, Steampunkette said:

Nope, especially as a blaster you always want to have at least one aim or build up slotted with the gaussians proc for your nuke.

I did dp/Time and it's pretty good, I think dp/martial or dp/sonic would be the ultimate combos.