Sorting out the Teleport Mess (help solicited)

Shenanigunner

25 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

it will be highlighted in the beacon list

If I knew the exact beacon list to which you are referring, I might be able to explain the phenomenon you see. As noted, a screenshot would be the most useful.

50 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

Okay. I have set a new record for "The most boring possible mission in CoH." Standing around for an hour in Pocket D is... *snore*

But yep, that's how it works. One hour of standing around, one Pocket D Gold VIP badge, one Long Range TP power. And, of course, it has the PD beacon enabled.

No one is forcing you to create an exhaustive list of all the possible combinations of teleport related things. If it is that much of a hassle & "boring", why are you whining to the forums about it? 

48 minutes ago, AboveTheChemist said:

If I knew the exact beacon list to which you are referring, I might be able to explain the phenomenon you see. As noted, a screenshot would be the most useful.

There's only one list of beacons in the player UI that I know of... the Fast Travel / Teleport Beacon list. That's what I'm referring to. I found it confusing that I had highlighted, apparently active beacons on alts that did not have the LRTP, but the above explanation (that each beacon is unlocked when you have one exploration badge in the zone) is a complete answer to my question.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

30 minutes ago, LiquidBandage said:

No one is forcing you to create an exhaustive list of all the possible combinations of teleport related things. If it is that much of a hassle & "boring", why are you whining to the forums about it? 

Humor alert, friend.

I've been documenting the details of the game's technical aspects for well over a decade and don't recall 'whining' about any of it. I find the convoluted complexity of the newly shaken-up TP system exasperatingly amusing and finally took two days to sort it all out and produce the chart/guide/notes I just posted.

I did so because (1) no one else has done it in the ~3 months since I27s' changes, and (2) if I found all the explanations confusing, incomplete and scattered with mistakes, then I know some good part of the community was just as confused.

I enjoy writing this stuff. It's what I do professionally, and this is a lot more fun. But some eye-rolls are occasionally appropriate. 🙂

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Thanks 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

1 hour ago, Shenanigunner said:

There's only one list of beacons in the player UI that I know of... the Fast Travel / Teleport Beacon list. That's what I'm referring to. I found it confusing that I had highlighted, apparently active beacons on alts that did not have the LRTP, but the above explanation (that each beacon is unlocked when you have one exploration badge in the zone) is a complete answer to my question.

Fair enough, I suspected that was the list to which you were referring but I wasn't sure (I can think of a few others), and I didn't want to try to explain without knowing for sure. There's a slightly more complex explanation for what you see in that list, but if you are happy with the answer you have then I won't bother with it. I will say that that particular list is, per Jimmy, the 'best available' solution but that a better solution is sought.

Edited by AboveTheChemist

6 hours ago, LiquidBandage said:

Okay. I have set a new record for "The most boring possible mission in CoH." Standing around for an hour in Pocket D is... *snore*

If you get there before level 10, this is an excellent time to make free costumes upstairs in the Tiki Lounge with Trina the Body Sculptress. You can change gender and body type too. The hour goes by real quick and it is a great way to save money over more costly design changes later in your career. 

• Like 2

Pocket D is also a convenient place to perform AH related activities such as crafting and converting. You can also perform respects there if you are looking for things to do in order to spend time there.

The hour spent there doesn't have to be consecutive.

Edited by tidge
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

Fair enough, I suspected that was the list to which you were referring but I wasn't sure (I can think of a few others), and I didn't want to try to explain without knowing for sure. There's a slightly more complex explanation for what you see in that list, but if you are happy with the answer you have then I won't bother with it. I will say that that particular list is, per Jimmy, the 'best available' solution but that a better solution is sought.

I'm always interested in the gritty nutz'n'boltz of these things, but it's probably not useful/relevant to this effort. I'd guess that the whole Fast Travel/LRTP/Beacons interface is a 'best option' for shoehorning in these features and functions without breaking the UI or the game. As a UI designer — or at least a guy who has a UI Designer hat in the rack, so old it goes back before the terms UI and UX — I can devise all kinds of cool ways to organize the powers and functions, but I'm happy to have them in a reasonably orderly presentation, knowing the limitations the devs have in time and no-breakage.

Again, I just couldn't figure out why some zones were "activated" and highlighted when the power itself wasn't... and the answer I got is good enough for this thread.

On 1/14/2021 at 4:42 PM, Shenanigunner said:

In general, and now in researching and validating this list, I am mildly exasperated at the degree of duplication, repetition, redundancy and overlap between the powers. Maybe half as many powers, earned through different means, would have made more sense. But that's just kibitzing. 🙂

And maybe even kvetching.  🙂

16 hours ago, Vulpoid said:

If you get there before level 10, this is an excellent time to make free costumes upstairs in the Tiki Lounge with Trina the Body Sculptress. You can change gender and body type too. The hour goes by real quick and it is a great way to save money over more costly design changes later in your career. 

Well, yeah, but there's a badge for blowing 50 million inf at the tailor - Fashion Victim.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.