My Next Scrapper

DocMidknight

After having so much fun on my spines/bio scrapper I thought it was time to go back for round 2 of my scrapperitis and ask for some advice from the scrapper masters who I bow down to.....I'm leaning on running a regen scrapper but not sure what to pair with it as I've done claws and dark in the past, I've enjoyed them both and have several pieces of needed IO's to make the builds shine. My question is what to pair with it? Do I stay true to the old favorite and go claws, or go back to the dark set for all the fun and interesting things it can do or am I missing out on something entirely new and different.

Just an FYI on build and play style if/when I do this. I play to have fun but I do min/max the builds....in other words I see a mob, I run in and lay waste to mob and move to the next mob all while laughing maniacally but then again I do this with everything I play defenders, controllers, masterminds and all the other sets and drop serious coin on builds I find really fun

Thanks in advance for any help

Appreciate the response, never really thought about Psi so I may have to take a look at that and see what it can do. As for dark, I've leveled a dm/regen and dm/sd before shut down and I currently got a dm/sr started but sitting at 14. Claws was with everything but INV.

I encourage you to try a Spines/Regen.  It is my favorite scrapper, and pre-I25, it was as close as you could come to a Sentinel with 2 range attacks.  It also has 4 AoEs to take out those minions while you focus on harder targets.  Love it!

Regen pairs well with anything with a parry and/or a knockdown.  Titan Weapons, Staff, Katana, and Ice Melee are all worth considering.

• Titan Weapons is a notorious endurance hog but Regen doesn't have an issue with that.  It also benefits from +rech, which you'll be building anyway for IH/MoG/etc.  Finally, the bursty nature of TW works alright with Regen, since you can plan your Regen clicks to happen after your Momentum drops.  Probably the strongest pick but there are just a ton of TW melee out there right now.
  • Staff is an amazing set with a lot of tools.  It can significantly improve your survivability, since aside from the parry it also has a +resistance buff attached to Body stance finishers with Sky Splitter.  The damage is good, but not quite as good as TW; and losing a combo point to activate a regen clickie can hurt you.  A strong second.
  • Katana really only brings the parry to add to Regen, but it also does best with a lot of +rech and you won't need to go out of your way to build for it.  It's also got a wide selection of weapon models, unlike either Staff or TW.
  • Ice is an oddball since it doesn't offer a parry, but it does offer a lot of soft mitigation in the form of -rech on most attacks and Knockdown from Ice Patch.  It does reasonable damage and has an amazing DoT in Freezing Touch, and as an added bonus only a few enemy types have significant Cold resist (although you might be miserable in the holiday event).

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

I encourage you to try a Spines/Regen.  It is my favorite scrapper, and pre-I25, it was as close as you could come to a Sentinel with 2 range attacks.  It also has 4 AoEs to take out those minions while you focus on harder targets.  Love it!

Spines I am very familiar with as I've leveled up a spines/dark, spines/fire and I'm working a spines/bio currently. May still give spines another go as I'm trying to decide the next hero/villain I invest in for the ride to 50

I'm not a Scrapper master or anything, but I just 50ed a Savage/Regen last night and it's a blast to play.  Savage doesn't offer a lot of mitigation on its own, just a single knock down.  But the Blood Frenzy passive gives you endurance discount, up to ~20% when fully stacked, which combined with Quick Recovery pretty much means you can keep going forever.  It also gives up to a 20% recharge bonus too, which will help bring your clickies (and Hasten!) back online more often.

Back on Live, I also had a Broadsword/SR Scrapper who was fairly kitted out.  I remember leveling was a tad bit painful, but the tools on Homecoming should get you over the early game humps, plus inherent Fitness which I didn't have since I recall it sucking wind.  But late game, it got pretty beastly.  I originally specced it for AV soloing, but got bored of being so single target focused and ended up respeccing to a hybrid single target/AoE build using Mu Mastery that was pretty cool.  Could still have theoretically soloed AVs with that build with some blue skittles, but never tried.

I think I only got it to the high 20s low 30s, but I recall DM/Fire being really fun, as Dark Melee worked really well to take the edge off of Fire's higher risk.  Plus the immobilize plus Burn patches were very fun!