Energy Aura for Tankers?

ValiantBlu

6 hours ago, Infinitum said:

You said IOd brutes.

1238791395_Capture_2021-01-22-17-53-51.thumb.png.aa22737e980dd11d8acb02be14c7563b.png

All things being equal its innline with anything else IOd SOd or otherwise.

Where is the groan button?  Blowing the Text way up, Really?  You have too much coffee today?     

Why not ask for clarification, rather then this crazy stuff? 

I meant a SO EA Tanker could potentially pull off some crazy SO only numbers by using Energy Drain.  Using the IO Brute numbers as a way of comparison.   A continuation of my post before that.   

I'm just trying to speculate, since Capt Powerhouse's reasoning doesn't actually make sense to me in the real game.  I routinely have 90+% defense on teams, because everyone is addicted to getting maneuvers.  That's why they always want to know what powers they can skip in the AT subforums.   

==================

Looks like this is a Screenie Pasting snafu -- its all good now.

Edited by Haijinx
crazy pasting snafu

8 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Where is the groan button?  Blowing the Text way up, Really?  You have too much coffee today?     

Why not ask for clarification, rather then this crazy stuff? 

Uh its just a screenshot, sorry I guess?

That was my way of asking what the hell you meant.

2 hours ago, CrudeVileTerror said:

Likewise, @Haijinx.

image.thumb.png.6bf1ac2fbac7edffd13730313a7c7a83.png

I think it's just some incongruence between different device types.

yeah im on the computer and i see the everest sized picture  lol  i did that on my phone - had no idea thats what happened - thinking back now to all the times i have done that - and certain reactions to me are starting to make sense   LOL   never meant to come across that way.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/19/2021 at 1:21 AM, ValiantBlu said:

TL;DR

EA should be a Tanker set. It would not be an easy set to use as a Tanker, but looking at how similar it is to sets like DA and SR, and how tanky EA brutes can become, I actually don't really see what the problem is. Aesthetically it has a very unique flavor that other Tank sets just can't deliver, and the playstyle is fun as heck. The only really necessary change is improving base Def values to make it on par with SR.

It has long been a dream of mine to make an EA/TW Tanker, almost entirely for aesthetic reasons.  I admit I also want to play a Defense-heavy build specifically on a Tanker, but SR just doesn't match the concept.  I gotta have those bubbles.  CoX has always been driven in large part by character concepts, it really bothers me that we are still lacking in this one option.

To my understanding Energy Drain is the biggest problem for why EA would be OP on Tankers. That being said I'm just a little bit confused about it why that's an issue for porting the set.

If it would be OP on Tankers, why is it not OP on Brutes or Scrappers? I see so few people using it as opposed to, say, Invulnerability, Stone, Shield, and Fire (for farmers obviously), and as far as my experience with EA goes while it's very strong with IOs it's an extremely difficult set to use until you get your sets going. I know someone mentioned earlier you can get crazy high defense numbers with just SOs, but I felt squishy on my EA Brute until about Vet level 20. I don't know I felt incredibly squishy for a Brute until I graduated from SOs (and this being my first HC character, it took me awhile to upgrade), and even then it took a lot of sets to feel nigh invincible. Now since Tankers would start with higher base defense it wouldn't be a as difficult, but considering how much easier it is to get, for example, Rad Armor up to an acceptable level vs +2 enemies before IOs I'm failing to see the point here.

But suppose I'm wrong, which is honestly most likely, and Energy Drain just provides too much defense to be able to port to EA as is, why wouldn't it just be simple enough to reduce or remove it entirely?

Basically, if it's a problem for Tankers, it seems like it should be a problem for other classes, and should just be fixed altogether. Whether or not that's the case, that shouldn't disqualify it from Tankers since there's still a pretty easy fix to that.

I haven't tried EA on brutes in a long time, but I have a 30s EA stalker right now, and it feels strong to me!  I have north of 50 s/l defense, other defenses are 40+ (before any power sinks, and psi and neg energy are lower), okay resists, endurance tools and a heal.  That's certainly with IOs, but obviously not level 50 modifiers, superior sets, incarnate, etc.

I had a tough time with endurance management before power sink, and the heal not coming until 35 was a little brutal, but since about level 28, it's felt very strong.  I imagine it'll feel stronger as I flesh out the slotting.

The ease of getting S/L defense through sets is a really big deal, I think.

14 hours ago, ValiantBlu said:

But suppose I'm wrong, which is honestly most likely, and Energy Drain just provides too much defense to be able to port to EA as is, why wouldn't it just be simple enough to reduce or remove it entirely?

It doesnt do anything too different from invulnerabilities invincibility power - only difference is EA yields its stacks by a click power that expires vs invul that ramps up per enemy in range.

Invul also has better resists across the board - the two sets are slightly inversed in that EA has slightly better defenses across the board - but with sets the end result is the same - unkillable.

Edited by Infinitum
  • Like 1

So, compared to the other melee ATs, Tankers get a bunch less S/L defense from their ATOs than the others do (stalkers and scrappers get either 5% or 10% from their ATOs, brutes get either 7.5% or 12.5% (depending on whether they split), Tankers get 2.5%).  But they get a huge amount of resists -- 12% S/L, 6% all others (including psi/tox) from their set bonuses and then 8%+ resist-all from their proc.  Note that S/L defense is also plentifully available to melee classes through Kinetic Combat and Blistering Cold.

If we're comparing EA to Invul, on tanks, I think this generally works to the advantage of EA.  They won't have difficulty hitting overcap S/L defense even with their lower ATO numbers, they'll benefit from have lower base resists because Invul wastes S/L resist on the vast majority of high-end tank builds, and it helps them close their Psi/Tox holes.  However, the higher S/L defense numbers that you get mostly "for free" in other ATs may make EA seem like a more powerful set there -- especially during leveling -- than it really is.