Scrapper ATO. What's the deal?

Captain_Paragon

Hi, 

I've been playing brutes since they were ported over on live from just villains. Scrappers always seemed to play second fiddle once u could basically play a tank and a scrapper rolled into one. However I digress. The reason for the post is I never really looked at Scrapper ATOs. 

They seem lovely and all but was wondering if I read correctly how they work. I forget the names and I'm at work and cant look them up but....

Am I right in saying one of them doubles the crit damage and the other procs and makes next hit a crit? 

If that is correct? Can someone explain how they use them, for example in a dam aura for next crit hit proc then hit them with your most powerful attack and the crit doubles?

I'm trying to work out when and how to use them.

Thanks for any advice in advance and if this is to vague and no-one replays I'll tidy it up when I get home so it makes more sense. 😅

Edited by Captain_Paragon

The Scrapper's Strike ATO gives you a slightly better chance to crit. Instead of 10% chance to crit against a lieutenant you get 14% (16% with the superior version). The damage is the same, but you crit 160% as often.

The Critical Strikes ATO dramatically improves your chance to crit for a short window (3.5 seconds? so roughly, you can fit two attacks). It's not quite 100%, but combined with the Scrapper's Strike ATO, it gets close.

Scrapper's Strike is a nice fit for a damage aura. The bonus is passive and permanent.

Critical Strikes works best in a power with as slow a recharge as you have. The PPM system is a bit involved, but the short rule of thumb goes: the longer the recharge, the higher chance to proc.

Personally, I like sticking the Critical Strikes proc in my biggest hitter. With no other recharge slotted in the power, the chance to proc is often close to 90%. Then the next two attacks are almost guaranteed to crit, which is like having THREE big hitters.

Some people prefer putting it in a lesser attack, so they get to have a near guaranteed crit on their big hitter. The chance for the proc to go off is lower as a result, but it can be argued the lower recharge power will also be used more often. I think this is less optimal, but of course I am opinionated!

Bottomline: put Scrapper's Strike anywhere you want. Experiment with Critical Strikes to see what you like best (enhancement unslotters are your friends).

nihilii covered the facts (while I was busy editting a screenshot of  Critical Strikes in action):

ATO.thumb.png.4b19149b21df443da7f21c420b7f087b.png

My understanding of the "rules of PPM" is there is a negative factor to likelihood of a proc based on the width an area attack power and a gain to the likelihood based on the base recharge time of the power. I keep mine in Savage Leap--a 40s recharge, 360 degree attack--as it tends to be an combat opener for me.  For purposes of the image I used single target follow up attacks but in theory I should have pre-popped Blood Thirst before Savage Leap to follow up with Rending Flurry.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, underfyre said:

I dunno, but you can't tell me that the cast time/recharge time on Total Focus making it essentially 90% proc chance, in addition to it activating Energy Focus which lowers the cast time of Energy Transfer to 1 second wasn't 100% intentional.

et/tf/et-shortened/gloom-or-moonbeam/bonesmasher/repeat is ridiculous by design, yes.

• 2 weeks later