Probably Too Easy

Fan Mail

I haven't made a new character for quite some time.  I've been working on lots of ALTs and trying to get those Vet Levels on the ones that are 50.  Just made a new character yesterday (Ice Melee/Energy Aura Brute) and with the SOs being available really early...well...I bought and slotted them.  At level 7.

Now, it's too easy.  Before the SOs being available at level 22, I felt there was a bit of a vetting process that I personally enjoyed to see if I liked the character.   Not saying nerf this or buff that.  Just an observation.  

Edited by Fan Mail

Take a look at the classic hero challenge thread.

Honestly, running under those restrictions is its own kind of fun and requires approaching things in a new (or, rather, old - but new after all these years) way.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

And nobody's criticizing you for sharing an opinion. Options and ways to tweak things for your liking are being mentioned.

Besides, at level 7 the enemies aren't all that big a deal either - not many challenges (besides perhaps end drain from clockwork or mu.) Give it a bit, as they get more abilities, there'll be more of a challenge.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Take the Atlas bank robbery mission for example, red-side.  Those used to be brutal.  You walk in the bank, next thing you know there are 9 Longbow mobs along with whatever else you decide to attack at the front door.  Now...it's a cake walk.  I'll adjust but it's like I said - all too easy.  

Homecoming has flexible difficulty settings. In my opinion, this is a good thing.

2 hours ago, Dark Dove said:

Increase the number of players and/or enemy level as needed. Or, you can just not slot SO's

2 hours ago, Greycat said:

Take a look at the classic hero challenge thread.

Calling this game too easy doesn't make any sense because the difficulty itself is very flexible.

1 hour ago, Fan Mail said:

I'll adjust but it's like I said - all too easy.

You haven't adjusted the difficulty level. How did you know that it's too easy?

Also, keep in mind that not all players are live server veterans. I bet many newcomers have no idea about SOs or which SO to slot into what power.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fan Mail said:

Now...it's a cake walk.  I'll adjust but it's like I said - all too easy.  

You can unslot your SOs and replace them with TOs or nothing if you think it's too easy.

• Like 3

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

I'd say if someone wants to complain about things being too easy I'd be more likely to first point at AE and that people can door sit and get powerleveled to 50 in the matter of a few hours.  Personally though I just choose to not play the game that way.

SO's at an early level making it too easy?  That is far far down the list of things that make things easy.  I think the whole point of making SO's available early was actually to encourage those that don't like to powerlevel (or spam running DFB over and over again) to have a bit easier time running lower level content without it being so much of a slog.  That is pretty much all. 

And as others have said, easy enough to ignore the SO's if you don't think it was a slog, which is perfectly valid.

It's worth mentioning that brutes are very good at low levels. Fury gives them a massive leg up in the damage game.

They have added lots of boosts to make the low level game easier. I don't see this as a balance problem, I haven't found the character yet who is in any danger of soloing at 4/8 out of the gate. It's the high level game where balance becomes more of a problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, parabola said:

It's worth mentioning that brutes are very good at low levels. Fury gives them a massive leg up in the damage game.

They have added lots of boosts to make the low level game easier. I don't see this as a balance problem, I haven't found the character yet who is in any danger of soloing at 4/8 out of the gate. It's the high level game where balance becomes more of a problem.

Interestingly, perhaps, I find Brutes to be TERRIBLE at lower level.  I made one based on the Hulk, and he was getting squashed by pretty much everything he met.  I switched from Regeneration to Willpower, and that helped, but he is STILL awfully squishy at around L24.

Run classic style and see what happens.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Don't use the SOs and enjoy the challenge again.

Most of my toons don't get anything slotted until at least level 20. 

Edited by Lunchmoney

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

My natural tendency is to run Brutes.  Which I mostly do, sometimes Tanks.  When I want a challenge I try to start running squishies.  Been on a string of them for a few weeks.  Sentinels, Blasters, Doms, now I am on a Blaster again.  Last night I had just switched to my Blaster and was battling it out.  I was like "I'm mezzed" Crap, forgot breakfrees.  uh, t1 t2 t1 t2 crap.

Strange, I was thinking the exact same thing, except I turned up the difficulty to +4×8.

Now I can't kill anything and I keep dying, I dont get it I thought the game was too easy now its too hard. 😉😏🙃

Nerf difficulty!!!

Seriously though, I've always flew through the content, and if I wanted a challenge I'd crank up the diff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

4 hours ago, Ultimo said:

Interestingly, perhaps, I find Brutes to be TERRIBLE at lower level.  I made one based on the Hulk, and he was getting squashed by pretty much everything he met.  I switched from Regeneration to Willpower, and that helped, but he is STILL awfully squishy at around L24.

On the current Brute I am working on I did not slot any powers until 21, and then only slotted Accuracy SOs in his attacks until level 30. Over that run he was a non-stop engine of beating things down, only having to be a bit judicious when joining groups running at +3 or more.

I am not sure you should judge all Brutes based on sets which provide limited Resistance/Defense.

11 hours ago, Fan Mail said:

I get that but at level 7?  I'm one and two shotting pretty much everything. Was just sharing an opinion.  We have them.  And most of the time, you don't even have to ask!  

Don't forget... you're a brute... Brutes are exceptionally strong at the early game because they get full fury's worth of damage from level 1, whereas other ATs take time to be able to fully slot and build out their damage.

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

14 hours ago, Fan Mail said:

Now...it's a cake walk.  I'll adjust but it's like I said - all too easy.  

Only as easy as you want it to be.

This is actually a FEATURE - a good thing.  A new player who has no idea what they're doing could get stomped and lose interest in the game.  It SHOULD start off easy.  Experienced players already know how they can make it more difficult if they want.

• Like 4

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

10 hours ago, Ultimo said:

I'm going to make an assumption that your primary was Superstrength? It's not the fastest set out of the blocks. All the powers are balanced around rage which sucks before you have it. Lv32 is a long time to wait for aoe too.

Regen is a bit lacking and you should have an easier time with willpower. Of course no armor set really comes into its own until slotting comes together at later levels. But fury does mean brutes can get away with less slotting in attacks early on and devote more slots to defence if they need to.

6 hours ago, parabola said:

I'm going to make an assumption that your primary was Superstrength? It's not the fastest set out of the blocks. All the powers are balanced around rage which sucks before you have it. Lv32 is a long time to wait for aoe too.

Regen is a bit lacking and you should have an easier time with willpower. Of course no armor set really comes into its own until slotting comes together at later levels. But fury does mean brutes can get away with less slotting in attacks early on and devote more slots to defence if they need to.

Ya, Super Strength.  In fact, I've always thought the SS set was rather underwhelming, with little that suggests actual STRENGTH (anyone can HIT things, strength is about lifting and moving heavy things), and that it relies overmuch on one or two powers (KO Blow and Rage, in particular).