Wow the first season of Stargate SG1 is bad

DougGraves

On 1/21/2021 at 5:52 PM, Hyperstrike said:

The original movie was about an ancient alien who'd taken over a human body and had been living for thousands of years as a "god".
The series tweaks what the alien was and takes a bit of liberty with the material and character depictions.
And then meanders through mythology while creating its own.

Basically you have a few types of episodes.

You have the "Fighting the aliens/gods" episodes which are the primary
You have the "Meet the locals/looking for useful stuff" episodes.

You have the "Dangerous tech" episodes.
You have the "This is Top Secret" episodes detailing the secondary Earth-centric storyline.
And every season has a "Clip Show" episode that basically rehashes the season/series.

And once the show hits its groove, it does quite well and can be absolutely hilarious.
Season 4's "Window of Opportunity" is a "Groundhog Day" knockoff.  But it REALLY explores it and is fun as hell.

"Right in the middle of my back swing!?!" Colonel O'Neill.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

On 2/7/2021 at 2:17 PM, TheOtherTed said:

Ok, so, nearing the end of season 2, and I'm starting to warm up to it a bit.  On the Star Trek scale, I'd place it a step ahead of Voyager, maybe two steps ahead of Enterprise, and about a mile ahead of Discovery.  Objectively speaking.

*looks for the "shifty eyes" emote without scucess*

I tend to use this instead...

smiley_runaway.gif.a607ecd95895ec5d2e61a18562af7c06.gif

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

1 hour ago, Oubliette_Red said:

"Right in the middle of my back swing!?!" Colonel O'Neill.

And the door in Teal'c's face.

The one I loved was late in the Replicator storyline.

"Small Victories"

Daniel Jackson: Wait a minute, you're actually saying that you need someone dumber than you are?
Jack O'Neill: You may have come to the right place...

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

• 2 weeks later

The first season of SG-1 is pretty rough, but it became one of my all time favorite shows. I’m not really sure I can pinpoint when it exactly it went from meh to mildly interesting to good to great to “it’s 1am and I have work in the morning, but one more episode shouldn’t hurt”.  The show grew on me as did the characters. 

I think both Atlantis and Universe had better starts. I think a big part of that is that they had already found their groove and had established characters/plot elements to give them strength. 

• 2 weeks later
  • 1 month later
On 6/4/2021 at 5:01 AM, TheOtherTed said:

Welp, I'm out.  The character Vala completely killed my interest in the series.  Friendly advice for any potential writers or film makers out there - lovable rogues just aren't.

How far did you make it?  I got through episode 1 of season 2 and just cannot get myself to watch  more.

I dropped out early in Season 9 - a lot farther than I expected, TBH.  I never considered it "binge worthy," but once they stopped treating Daniel Jackson as comic relief, I did get a bit more invested in the story.

I was kind of already on the ropes when Vala showed up, though.  The cast changes were a bit rough, and the whole "The Next Big Bad" trope had gotten old.

Ah, well.  I figure I've watched enough to keep at least some of my nerd cred, so it's all good.

On 3/15/2021 at 7:52 PM, Hyperstrike said:

And the door in Teal'c's face.

The one I loved was late in the Replicator storyline.

"Small Victories"

Daniel Jackson: Wait a minute, you're actually saying that you need someone dumber than you are?
Jack O'Neill: You may have come to the right place...

Door in Teal'c's face is a classic!  I always laugh whenever I see this episode

Carter : What's eight down?

Jackson : Um...label. With those empty spaces I think the answer is supposed to be identification. Thirteen across is sphere. Jack, this is it.

O'Neill : Now, see I assume we still speak the same language...mostly.

Jackson : Sphere...planet. Label...name.

O'Neill : Following...still...you...not!

Jackson : Praclarush taonas. I...I think you wrote the name of the planet we will find the Lost City in the crossword.

O'Neill : Bit of a jump?

Jackson : Why else would you do that?

Carter : The clue for seven down is "celestial body" and he wrote Uma Thurman.

O'Neill : Yes!

Edited by ZacKing
  • Like 1