Paragon City Sports Teams?

dtjunkie

I am certain I did one mish ages ago where an NPC mentioned a sports team.

• Thanks 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

I don't recall anything.  Pretty sure any franchise would wither and die, though.  I mean, a stadium of 30,000 spectators and teammates is a smorgasbord for most of the villain groups who have mass kill capability.  I'd not be surprised if multiple villain groups attacked in a single game.  We've got the hero combat arenas, which in this town make more sense: smaller spectator groups, and tons of heroes around.  To attack that place would be akin anywhere else to robbing a donut shop on the cops' morning coffee break. 

That said, I vote for calling the hockey team the "Dead Ducks". 😉

• Like 1

Well, the only thing even resembling an actual field is the partially built arena in Kallisti.  There are plenty of basketball courts and tennis courts around though.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

From one of the Lore AMAs:

Q) There never seemed to be any mention of professional team sports in CoH. Was there ever a thought to expand missions, contacts, or costume sets (besides boxing) in that direction? I referenced American football in one character bio (http://cit.cohtitan.com/character/2089) but rarely heard of or saw mention of anything else even in other players’ character bios. (@Blondeshell)

A) Matt Miller (Positron) Not a lot of thought went into sports in a super-powered world. I am sure that they are around, but how do you know that the guy who hit 90 home-runs last season wasn’t a telekinetic?

If we ever put an arena or colosseum into CoH, we would have had to come up with some sports team. But alas, we never did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

Well, we have the Freakolympics, at least.

Edited by KC4800
  • Like 3
  • Haha 8
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

I had wondered about the high schools for each zone, and their mascots.  I started from the name, like Kings Row, so it could be the tie in, or tried a reference to iconic statues like the Minotaur in Talos Island. I didn’t want ‘the Heroes’ as that seemed ubiquitous.  

Kings Row - Knights

Atlas Park - Titans

Galaxy City - Astros

Talos Island - Bulls

I will see if I still have my list of others somewhere.

• Like 4

I would figure with the Arena being in different zones that would constitute probably enough of a competitive sport franchise.

Some headlines would be "Max Speed has challenged Synapse to a race" or "Back Alley Brawler arm wrestling vs Mister Muscle".

Or even sparring matches "The Guardian vs Master Lotus".

Villain side Im guessing would be more gladiatorial especially with captured Longbow, Legacy,  and heroes. 

"Bloodfeast vs Longbow Nullifier" or watch what happens when we drop "Legacy sorcerer vs CoT Death Mage".

I've suspected that the cages in RWZ and Nerva that have various entities are used for such purposes amongst other things.

I know I'd pay to go see a squad of Longbow get eaten by Rularuu or Zombies....😏

• Thumbs Up 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

16 hours ago, Max Firepower said:

I had wondered about the high schools for each zone, and their mascots.  I started from the name, like Kings Row, so it could be the tie in, or tried a reference to iconic statues like the Minotaur in Talos Island. I didn’t want ‘the Heroes’ as that seemed ubiquitous.  

Kings Row - Knights

Atlas Park - Titans

Galaxy City - Astros

Talos Island - Bulls

I will see if I still have my list of others somewhere.

Independence Point - Stevedores?

Brickstown - Bricklayers?  Guardsmen?

Steel Canyon - Giants?

Peregrine Island - Falcons? Explorers?

Founders Falls - gondoliers? Fall guys? 😁

Thanks all! I have a Martial Arts / Super Reflexes Scrapper named Punter. I was hoping to match his costume color scheme to a Paragon City professional sports team color scheme and hoping to reference having played for the Paragon City Whatevers.

Punter.JPG.ce9e14a881c219b5ffc4a77a688a2bb1.JPG

1 hour ago, dtjunkie said:

Thanks all! I have a Martial Arts / Super Reflexes Scrapper named Punter. I was hoping to match his costume color scheme to a Paragon City professional sports team color scheme and hoping to reference having played for the Paragon City Whatevers.

Punter.JPG.ce9e14a881c219b5ffc4a77a688a2bb1.JPG

You might consider "The Phalanx" with a Greek motif.  After all, it was the Freedom Phalanx that put the city to rights after the rise of mobster rule in the Prohibition Era, and has backed the good of the city ever since.

Back on live I created a brute who used a baseball bat for a club, and had something like a traditional old timey baseball uniform and a big orange pumpkin head, who was the character mascot for a Croatoa minor league baseball team.  But I can't recall his name!  "Croatoan Something" I think... never did level him, he was more a concept than a real toon.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On live, our supergroup had a 5v5  pvp league.  Each team consisted of 2 tanks, 2 scrappers and 1 blaster.  Every player was level 12 and set up with do's.

The manager of each team named theirs after a city zone and selected the colors.  Our uniforms looked like football uniforms.

We had:

Talos Island Minotaurs (red/black)

Skyway City Towers (green/white)

Brickstown Sentinels (black/orange)

Kings Row Monarchs (purple/gold)

Independence Port Authority (blue/gold)

My team was the Brickstown Sentinels.  We had a Roman Soldier mascot named Ziggy.

• Like 4

On 1/23/2021 at 12:24 PM, TemporalVileTerror said:

We -do- have some sports teams, they're just not in Paragon City.

It keeps Ernie Lardner busy.

Ernie "Doc" Lardner was a Sports Columnist for The Paragon Times.

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Paragon_Times#Paragon_Times_Journalists

On 1/23/2021 at 6:32 AM, KC4800 said:

Well, we have the Freakolympics, at least.

And the Tsoo Fox Hunt.

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Fox_Hunt

And it's nice to see that the Rikti sports are pod racing.

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Ingame_References#The_Red_and_the_Black

• Haha 1

On 1/25/2021 at 10:26 AM, Ephemeris said:

Each team consisted of 2 tanks, 2 scrappers and 1 blaster.

Interesting roster decision.  Do you recall why that set was picked instead of, say, one each of tank, defender, scrapper, blaster, and controller?  Was it the removal of archetypes that could team heal that mattered?

On 1/30/2021 at 3:31 PM, Techwright said:

Interesting roster decision.  Do you recall why that set was picked instead of, say, one each of tank, defender, scrapper, blaster, and controller?  Was it the removal of archetypes that could team heal that mattered?

I think...  It was set up so that there were no buffers, debuffers, healers or mezzers.  I think dark melee and some power pools were also off limits.  The blasters were like the quarterback in football, the scrappers like runningbacks and the tankers like linemen.  The scrappers and tankers who were on the same team could not choose the same sets.  It was fun because it was damage vs damage with some minor secondary effects.

• Like 3

• 1 year later

just read this the  Paragon University Open RP thread on live the football team and stadium were the Statesmen and the Collisum was the home of the Statesmen. Their mascot was called Statey a slightly hokey nod to Statesman and Imperious, as a oversized outfit since the original poster asked

Edited by American Valor
spelling

When you wake up seek the courage and strength to do the right thing.
Decide that this will be another day in which you Walk The Talk.

American Valor Sentinel of Liberty

RP Forums: Paragon University thread

FBSA Home Page

I wonder how stringent sports teams/leagues would be about checking for superpowers or other enhancements, within the CoH world.  Heck, just about any job, particularly those that involve manual labor, would love a superhumanly strong worker, or someone who can start fires or freeze things on a whim...

7 hours ago, biostem said:

I wonder how stringent sports teams/leagues would be about checking for superpowers or other enhancements, within the CoH world.  Heck, just about any job, particularly those that involve manual labor, would love a superhumanly strong worker, or someone who can start fires or freeze things on a whim...

I suppose it would depend on how that superpower affected the position the person was playing.  Someone with superspeed should not be a halfback in American football, nor should one with super strength/invulnerability or mental control be anywhere on the team.  (Actually, I'm not sure mental control should be anywhere within range of the field, even in the stands.)  Someone who wields fire, though, might be able to play without threat of cheating, at least, not without being obvious.

This is actually a common discussion in superhero media.  Dash Parr, the speedster in The Incredibles, for example, is initially not allowed to race in the track meet, but then allowed as long as he lets a non-powered kid win first.

I think the sports most likely to be allowed in Paragon City, besides those that play to the supers' abilities, like the Arena games, would be those in which no one has a natural advantage, like auto racing.  I'd not be surprised to see a NASCAR, Indy, or Monaco-styled racing event added to the city if things stabilize a bit.  Though I admit that perhaps speedsters should be banned from being pit crew members. 😉