Why the hit boxes?

Lillylop

Okay so since no one has asked or I can't find a page about it... WHY the character boxes? You get pushed around by everyone and minions. I am confused whether we need it or what the purpose of having one is for? Anyone have answers to this let me know. Like I am not sure if I am the only one but totally hate being pushed by other players and minions. Not to mention makes rp really difficult to sit in like chairs next to people but hey figured I would ask?

Edited by Lillylop
  • Thanks 2

No, you didn't really post this in the wrong place.  General Discussion is certainly the place to discuss it.  

Your message just helped remind me that the issue has cropped up numerous times in my efforts to roleplay, so I decided to immediately post my request.

We can continue to chat about player character collision here.

3 minutes ago, Lillylop said:

Sure but I am pretty sure I'm not the only one that would like to toggle them off now..

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I don't think you can just "toggle off" the collision detection, (short of having none, I suppose, which may result in you falling through the floor or going "out of bounds").

Edited by biostem

Well I just want it to be so that other players and pets can't shove me into mobs when I load into a mission so that I die...also the only reason I said toggle was cause it was suggested which was pretty good. 

Edited by Lillylop

2 minutes ago, Lillylop said:

Well I just want it to be so that other players and pets can't shove me into mobs when I load into a mission so that I die...also the only reason I said toggle was cause it was suggested which was pretty good. 

Let's assume for a moment that the way the game tracks player positions is via an invisible "box" that surrounds your customer, (now I know it's more complicated than that, but just bear with me for the moment).  This box can be designated as "solid", (i.e. other such boxes cannot pass through it), or permeable, (other objects can pass through).  It's not just a matter of toggling some feature on or off to change this behavior.  There are consequences that may result from just switching it off.

I mean you could rewrite it so players can't hit eachother while in a nonpvp combat or what not... I've seen other games do it and allows the environment and npc not pass through the player. I mean yea is it a lot of work? But Sure just figured it's an option to throw out there. 

Edited by Lillylop
  • Like 1

Not sure if this addresses the topic, but I've always thought that the "character boxes" were as much to prevent inappropriate visuals for a T-rated game as anything else. You simply can't get "cuddly" in any way, friendly or teabagging. I have to think that was deliberate.

And I am extremely irritated at War Witch's current location as a result. For whatever reason, her placement had almost no character distance box, and if you stood back to back with her and hit /em walllean, you could do a very convincing impression of a yummy embrace. She's too darned close to the wall in her new location. <pout>

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Part of it is to allow easier clicking on allies during group content, in particular, group content where said ally isn't in your team so you can't just click on their name in the team window. If players could stack their models on top of each other, clicking someone would be virtually impossible. It could also just be a simple matter of applying an impermeable box to the players so that they can't overlap with trainers, shop NPCs, contacts, etc for the same reason at outlined above and that caused the "side effect" of players blocking each other too. With PvP in the game, the inability for player characters to share the same space is even more important.

Interestingly, enemy NPCs used to be able to stack on each other in the same spot, or nearly in the same spot, and that was changed after "dumpster diving" PL methods became widespread (in combination with an aggro cap, since you could also aggro an entire zone/mission at once back then).

Unless they can find a way to "flag" the box on or off for specific areas and specific NPCs/player models, it's probably not going away. I'm sure any change to it right now would change it everywhere.

• Like 1

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

Yea I mean I don't know I just felt it was something to suggest but these are all good points. Honestly my goal was to mainly find out if I was the only one who had issues with it. Though like some people have said there is the issue with the emotes. How it would drastically change the game like you pointed out.

Mostly though I see more positive things that could come from this. One example that comes to my mind is pets can move past you to attack so you don't have to adjust where to attack npcs from an area. Mostly I've had issues with it post lvl 50 where you have some missions that have a hot door and due to threat detection from npcs, I have gotten pushed into the barrier which then makes me the first target. Half the time I am definately not the person to want to be the first hit and collaspse on the floor. 

CoH was my first MMO so getting to WoW where there was no collision was a surprise.

I don't mind player collision except when zoning somewhere and 2+ characters spawn in the same place and start leapfrogging madly until someone moves.

I really wish pet collision were removed. I thought it had been but that was probably wishful thinking. Or maybe only some pets.