Character Rename

Burnt Toast

I deleted a character because I no longer play it, but I wanted to use the name again. I have deleted characters before and re-used their names, but now I am getting the message that it is not a suitable name??? Uhhh it's my global name and I have had the character name since HC launched. Is this some weird glitch?

• Haha 1

Was the original character on the same account you're trying to make the new version on? I noticed awhile back that when I deleted the temporary "place-holder" version of a  character that I had on @laughingcrow in order to switch over and make the "real" version on @coyotedancer that I actually had to wait a bit before the game would let me do that. Apparently it held the name as taken for a bit.

Eventually it did clear, and I could make the new character as usual... But that wasn't instant.

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

4 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

@Coyotedancerdo recall if it was before or after a server maintenance?  Or just 5 or 10 min later?

I don't remember for sure, honestly. This was back around Halloween, so it's been awhile...

I don't *think* it took quite long enough for that, though. I want to say I deleted the placeholder fairly early in the day Pacific time, found I couldn't get it to work at that point, but was successful when I came back to it later the same night or early the next morning. 

It was at least a few hours between attempts, but no more than a day.

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Thanks 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

3 hours ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

This may be better suited for the Bugs or Help Boards, @Burnt Toast.  You may get a GM to assist you more readily in there.

Since you've already posted in General, though, you can self-flag your own post.  This will bring it to the attention of a GM, who then may be able to help you out.

Thanks I did that. logged in just now to see if it had "reset" so it would allow me, but still won't. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Burnt Toast said:

Burnt Toast wasn't the name 🙂 And no one has the name currently. 

Then I don't know. I encountered this type of bug though. It eventually go away on server reset. Or you can just create new character under that name on different server, then move that character of server of your choosing? I remember I did that many weeks ago if it didn't go away. Then CharacterName become CharacterName1 but I was able to rename them to CharacterName.

When someone else takes a name (or when the game is still holding it in reserve from the previous account if you're trying to remake the name), it will tell you that the name is already taken.  If the game is giving the message that it is not a suitable name, that means it is on the list of names that the game will prevent you from using.  This list HAS been updated since the game was first opened up to us again.  At first, there was little policing of names going on.  Now they have a code of conduct and are enforcing certain name restrictions.  If Burnt Toast or whatever is being held back, then there is probably a reason for it... I just can't imagine what it is.

Edited by Player2