Favorite sub-optimal power?

ninja surprise

Ok, I need to ban myself from this thread after this as I keep throwing power changes I'd like with zero idea how to code:

Jump kick should be a minor teleport/warp to target, Single-target knockdown, minor melee dmg power.

If you leave it as is maybe give it 5 percent melee/smashing defense for 5 seconds after using.

• Like 1

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

Force Fields - the entire set. It's got a special place in my heart, it was my first 50 (Bots/FF) and I love it conceptually, but it is a terrible powerset.

As far as individual powers go, Psionic Tornado is probably my #1. It's so cool looking. And so, so weak, especially for how long the animation is. One of the worst DPA AoEs in the game and yet it's my favorite.

Demon Summoning's whip attacks because they look awesome but they're garbage due to Reasons, with an honorable mention for all the rest of Mastermind's personal attacks.

The entire Mercenaries set. Bane Spiders as a whole. Kinetic Melee. Ice Control... Gosh, this game does still have a lot of old powersets that really need some love.

• Like 1

@Draeth Darkstar

Virtue and Freedom Survivor

Absorb seems to fix everything in this game. Giving Ice Control and Force Field powers the ability to stack minor absorbs would be a nice step forward.

However, the Trick arrow set was almost a complete revamp so more thought is getting put into these changes than just "Add X" like I'd probably do.

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

16 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

RWZ, the guard the conference where you have to stave off a massive Nemesis ambush and rescue Lady Grey.  Now imagine a team of 5 AR/Dev blasters.  Let's just say 60+ tripmines was a mildly successful counter-ambush. 

I did something like that on my AR/Dev Blaster recently.  Had a tip mission where the enemies in the mission were friendly until a clickie was touched.  There was a group right next to the clickie, so before I went to use it I dumped about 8 mines in that group.  Once they became hostile it was a hell of a fireworks show.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

18 hours ago, Ravenbane said:

Jump kick on my DM/WP scrapper main. I love that animation.

Wow, I had forgotten that even existed until right now.  I wanna say I used to see it from time to time on Live, but I haven't seen it once since the game came back.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

17 hours ago, Draeth Darkstar said:

As far as individual powers go, Psionic Tornado is probably my #1. It's so cool looking. And so, so weak, especially for how long the animation is. One of the worst DPA AoEs in the game and yet it's my favorite.

Wait... is this a suboptimal power? Damn, add that to my list, too.

6 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Wow, I had forgotten that even existed until right now.  I wanna say I used to see it from time to time on Live, but I haven't seen it once since the game came back.

Yeah, I don't think I have EVER seen noticed another character with it. On live or here.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rejolt said:

Ok, I need to ban myself from this thread after this as I keep throwing power changes I'd like with zero idea how to code:

Jump kick should be a minor teleport/warp to target, Single-target knockdown, minor melee dmg power.

If you leave it as is maybe give it 5 percent melee/smashing defense for 5 seconds after using.

I'd suggest making it a "Reactionary" ability. If you're knocked down and activate it then you instantly get back up on your feet (basically granted a second of Break Free) and receive a Knock protection buff.

2 hours ago, Nayeh said:

I'd suggest making it a "Reactionary" ability. If you're knocked down and activate it then you instantly get back up on your feet (basically granted a second of Break Free) and receive a Knock protection buff.

I've seen other games have recovery abilities. I don't think CoH can do that. Effects are binary. They either work or they don't. Champions Online tried this and good lord they rarely worked. Mashing the shift or whatever keys to get out of holds seemed to take the same amount regardless of your resistances. 

DCUO does have the ability to recover from knockback but they implemented a "matrix" float that lets you mash keys to breakout of it.

Acrobatics is specifically there for knockback and knock up protection. I can't see giving that to Jump Kick.

Edited by Rejolt

1 hour ago, Rejolt said:

I've seen other games have recovery abilities. I don't think CoH can do that. Effects are binary. They either work or they don't. Champions Online tried this and good lord they rarely worked. Mashing the shift or whatever keys to get out of holds seemed to take the same amount regardless of your resistances. 

DCUO does have the ability to recover from knockback but they implemented a "matrix" float that lets you mash keys to breakout of it.

Acrobatics is specifically there for knockback and knock up protection. I can't see giving that to Jump Kick.

So what you're saying is reaction mechanics are too hard? Why get a tier1 ability when you can get one that's a Toggle you require 2 abilities to obtain?

1 hour ago, Hew said:

Fold space. Take it on TONS of chars.

Fold space is not suboptimal. It’s just hard taking 2 other powers to get to it.

20 minutes ago, the1egend1ives said:

All of the Leviathan pool. Shark ghosts are such a bizarre attack, but I have character concepts that work wonderfully with them.

Knock out blow on a Blaster is insanely satisfying. I have a character called Joltrabbit and I just imagine the cone immobilize is little spirit rabbits that run around my target. I'd like a little bit of Toxic resist with the armor as cold resist doesn't matter much in the endgame.

+1 fire breath. Very strong gap filler for an aoe attack chain. The animation damage is subpar but the total damage per activation is quite good, especially when you've blown your other higher dpa attacks, everything recharges during fire breath animation.

I'll also add in shriek from sonic blast. Best t1 blast, underrated value for applying a quick res debuff. Most things dont live long enough for the shorter debuff duration to matter, the quick animation and projectile speed means youre debuffing the target before your ally finishes their headsplitter animation or whatever long animation heavy hitter theyre winding up.

• Like 2

Currently on fire.

1 hour ago, the1egend1ives said:

All of the Leviathan pool. Shark ghosts are such a bizarre attack, but I have character concepts that work wonderfully with them.

I took Lev Mastery on my Storm Controller for the Water Spout.  Thanks to that I generally have at least three active tornadoes at all times.

But yeah, sharks and bile don't mesh terribly well with most concepts.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

18 hours ago, the1egend1ives said:

I have a new Water/Kin Corruptor it would thematically have fit. But the quest for better defenses means taking Power Mastery instead.