Fire Armor/Ice Melee: the hidden gem.

Sovera

This combination came out on a lark since I had pretty much tested all I wished to test, but decided to give it an hesitant try only to be very pleasantly surprised.

Spoiler

Ice Melee has always been one of those sets which are praised for being good but not standing out and it's understandable.  Frost is a big thing and Freezing Touch is borderline Energy Transfer, and Ice Patch is a cute gimmick, but overall the set lacks something.

Well, the pairing with Fire Armor plays like a dream.

It is common to start the leveling and by level 20 to be Build-Up, Frost, Burn and only bosses (barely) still stand. Doing Synapse in particular is a pleasure at seeing those huge Clockwork packs of enemies simply melting. This is not something that Energy Melee, for example and amongst others, manages. Their AoE is mediocre and, yes, to be used since it's there and we are surrounded by enemies, but they do not nearly clean a pack by themselves.

Frost does. And what survives rushes in only to be melted by Burn.

In terms of ST it behaves very well as well. Frost ends up being incorporated in the ST chain due to lack of a T3, but for actual gameplay this plays much better than it may sound on paper. Just focus on the boss and with minimal positioning Frost is cleaving said boss and all things about it. After all Tankers get a nice widening of a cone's angle due to their inherent.

I found that Frost, Frozen Fists, Ice Sword, Frozen Fists suffices until Freezing Touch opens.

Ah, Freezing Touch, one could wax poetic about it. Energy Transfer still hits harder-ish (687 Freezing Touch VS 810 Energy Transfer, but we need to remember that Mids displays the damage of slow ET which favors procs. Fast ET halves the animation time which will negatively impact the 810 calculations), but ET 'requires' Total Focus first for the fast version. With Freezing touch we can Dim Mak mobs as we float past them.

Freezing Touch also takes to procs very very well so it would have been a sin to let it be slotted in the regular way. Despite having neutered the proc chance a bit by adding recharge in the name of a tight rotation it still boasts of two 90% chance procs and two 76% damage procs. That's biggo numbers on top of FT's already high base numbers.

With that extra bit of recharge once FT opens the rotation changes to FT, Burn, Ice Sword, Frost, Ice Sword. Use Burn when up but I try to time it to come after FT when Build-up/Fiery Embrace is up. Repeat.

Eventually Frozen Aura opens but it's mediocre in my eyes. I will use it once or twice if surrounded but it's mostly a mule and instead I'll prefer to cleave the pack around the boss via Frost and Burn.

The way I ended up playing it was: approach a pack, but not land in the middle of them because Frost is a cone. Once the mobs wake up from their stupor and rush me then I would BU, Freezing Touch the boss, Frost, Burn, Ice Sword, Fiery Embrace, FT the boss again, and then clean whatever is still up while pumped by FE. In most cases this combo was available next pack. I did it like this because I leveled by soloing all the TFs starting from Posi 1 and 2. Taking longer chewing through +0x6 during Posi and +1x8 from Synapse upwards worked out that way for BU and FE. In a team I would rather go BU for one pack. FE for the next pack. BU for the next. Then have neither for the next but start again afterwards.

At first I was stubborn and wanted to level with Ice Patch, but it's a gimmick that does not do miracles for survival. It helps, but does no miracles. What helps more? Killing a pack in two hits. So I ditched Ice Patch at 20 and took Build-Up at 20 instead. The build is endurance heavy (but plays fine with Consume) so if wanting one less toggle and Ice Patch I suppose Assault could be removed and Ice Patch replace it. The earliest spot I could grab it would be level 30 pushing everything down by one. But I find that most times a purple inspiration can replace Ice Patch.

In terms of pylons the behavior is not brilliant. The Annihilation -res in Frost helps a bit but using an AoE and a T2 for damage does not favor big pylon times. After several tests with different incarnates the best time was 3:17 and the average 3:30-ish. This might feel like ugh, such a normal Tanker time. Doesn't EM do it in 2.30 or less? Yes, but Ice plays very very smoothly, and it gets those times despite the odds stacked against it.

In terms of actually playing the game Fire/Ice is as close to Fire/Claws as it gets. It starts early with annihilating AoE then progresses smoothly to FT and obtains a very heavy hitter in the mid levels, no need to wait until 38. In the meanwhile Burn helps being a heavy hitter until FT arrives as well as being a heavy hitter for AoE to support Frost.

This is the level 50 build. If there is a desire for it I can post a leveling build:

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Fiery Aura
Secondary Power Set: Ice Melee
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blazing Aura -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(3), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Frozen Fists -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(7), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(7), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(9)
Level 2: Fire Shield -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(11), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(11), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(13), UnbGrd-Max HP%(13)
Level 4: Healing Flames -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(17), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(17), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(19), Pnc-Heal(19)
Level 6: Ice Sword -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(23), TchofDth-Dam%(23), GldStr-%Dam(25)
Level 8: Consume -- SynSck-EndMod(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech(25), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(27), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(27), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(29), SynSck-Dam/Acc/End(29)
Level 10: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(31), Rct-ResDam%(31)
Level 12: Plasma Shield -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(33), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(33), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(33)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(34)
Level 16: Frost -- Bmbdmt-Dam(A), Bmbdmt-Acc/Rech/End(34), Bmbdmt-Dam/Rech(34), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech(36), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech/End(36), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(36)
Level 18: Burn -- HO:Nucle(A), Arm-Dmg(37), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(37), Obl-%Dam(37), Erd-%Dam(39), Arm-Dam%(39)
Level 20: Build Up -- RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(A), RctRtc-ToHit(39), GssSynFr--Build%(40), RechRdx-I(40)
Level 22: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), WntGif-ResSlow(40)
Level 24: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(42)
Level 28: Freezing Touch -- HO:Nucle(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), GldStr-%Dam(42), TchofDth-Dam%(43), UnbCns-Dam%(43), Hct-Dam%(43)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(45)
Level 32: Boxing -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(45), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(45), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 35: Focused Accuracy -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-Pcptn(46), EndRdx-I(46)
Level 38: Frozen Aura -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(48), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 41: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 44: Tough -- TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(A)
Level 47: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 49: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(15), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(50)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(15)
Level 50: Reactive Radial Flawless Interface
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment
Level 50: Portal Jockey
Level 50: Task Force Commander
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 50: Intuition Radial Paragon
------------

@DreadShinobipointed out the Intuition incarnate meshed well with Ice and I agree with him. I've changed out Musculature.

Edited by Sovera
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Sovera said:

This combination came out on a lark since I had pretty much tested all I wished to test, but decided to give it an hesitant try only to be very pleasantly surprised.

Hide contents

Ice Melee has always been one of those sets which are praised for being good but not standing out and it's understandable.  Frost is a big thing and Freezing Touch is borderline Energy Transfer, and Ice Patch is a cute gimmick, but overall the set lacks something.

It is common to start the leveling and by level 20 to be Build-Up, Frost, Burn and only bosses (barely) still stand. Doing Synapse in particular is a pleasure at seeing those huge Clockwork packs of enemies simply melting. This is not something that Energy Melee, for example and amongst others, manages. Their AoE is mediocre and, yes, to be used since it's there and we are surrounded by enemies, but they do not nearly clean a pack by themselves.

In terms of ST it behaves very well as well. Frost ends up being incorporated in the ST chain due to lack of a T3, but for actual gameplay this plays much better than it may sound on paper. Just focus on the boss and with minimal positioning Frost is cleaving said boss and all things about it. After all Tankers get a nice widening of a cone's angle due to their inherent.

I found that Frost, Frozen Fists, Ice Sword, Frozen Fists suffices until Freezing Touch opens.

Ah, Freezing Touch, one could wax poetic about it. Energy Transfer still hits harder-ish (687 Freezing Touch VS 810 Energy Transfer, but we need to remember that Mids displays the damage of slow ET which favors procs. Fast ET halves the animation time which will negatively impact the 810 calculations), but ET 'requires' Total Focus first for the fast version. With Freezing touch we can Dim Mak mobs as we float past them.

Freezing Touch also takes to procs very very well so it would have been a sin to let it be slotted in the regular way. Despite having neutered the proc chance a bit by adding recharge in the name of a tight rotation it still boasts of two 90% chance procs and two 76% damage procs. That's biggo numbers on top of FT's already high base numbers.

With that extra bit of recharge once FT opens the rotation changes to FT, Burn, Ice Sword, Frost, Ice Sword. Use Burn when up but I try to time it to come after FT when Build-up/Fiery Embrace is up. Repeat.

Eventually Frozen Aura opens but it's mediocre in my eyes. I will use it once or twice if surrounded but it's mostly a mule and instead I'll prefer to cleave the pack around the boss via Frost and Burn.

The way I ended up playing it was: approach a pack, but not land in the middle of them because Frost is a cone. Once the mobs wake up from their stupor and rush me then I would BU, Freezing Touch the boss, Frost, Burn, Ice Sword, Fiery Embrace, FT the boss again, and then clean whatever is still up while pumped by FE. In most cases this combo was available next pack. I did it like this because I leveled by soloing all the TFs starting from Posi 1 and 2. Taking longer chewing through +0x6 during Posi and +1x8 from Synapse upwards worked out that way for BU and FE. In a team I would rather go BU for one pack. FE for the next pack. BU for the next. Then have neither for the next but start again afterwards.

At first I was stubborn and wanted to level with Ice Patch, but it's a gimmick that does not do miracles for survival. It helps, but does no miracles. What helps more? Killing a pack in two hits. So I ditched Ice Patch at 20 and took Build-Up at 20 instead. The build is endurance heavy (but plays fine with Consume) so if wanting one less toggle and Ice Patch I suppose Assault could be removed and Ice Patch replace it. The earliest spot I could grab it would be level 30 pushing everything down by one. But I find that most times a purple inspiration can replace Ice Patch.

In terms of pylons the behavior is not brilliant. The Annihilation -res in Frost helps a bit but using an AoE and a T2 for damage does not favor big pylon times. After several tests with different incarnates the best time was 3:17 and the average 3:30-ish. This might feel like ugh, such a normal Tanker time. Doesn't EM do it in 2.30 or less? Yes, but Ice plays very very smoothly, and it gets those times despite the odds stacked against it.

In terms of actually playing the game Fire/Ice is as close to Fire/Claws as it gets. It starts early with annihilating AoE then progresses smoothly to FT and obtains a very heavy hitter in the mid levels, no need to wait until 38. In the meanwhile Burn helps being a heavy hitter until FT arrives as well as being a heavy hitter for AoE to support Frost.

This is the level 50 build. If there is a desire for it I can post a leveling build:

Hide contents

Level 50 Magic Tanker

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blazing Aura -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(3), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Frozen Fists -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(7), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(7), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(9)
Level 2: Fire Shield -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(11), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(11), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(13), UnbGrd-Max HP%(13)
Level 4: Healing Flames -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(17), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(17), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(19), Pnc-Heal(19)
Level 6: Ice Sword -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(23), TchofDth-Dam%(23), GldStr-%Dam(25)
Level 8: Consume -- SynSck-EndMod(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech(25), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(27), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(27), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(29), SynSck-Dam/Acc/End(29)
Level 10: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(31), Rct-ResDam%(31)
Level 12: Plasma Shield -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(33), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(33), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(33)
Level 16: Frost -- HO:Nucle(A), HO:Nucle(34), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(34), PstBls-Dam%(36), Ann-ResDeb%(36), ImpSwf-Dam%(36)
Level 18: Burn -- HO:Nucle(A), HO:Nucle(37), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(37), Obl-%Dam(37), Erd-%Dam(39), Arm-Dam%(39)
Level 20: Build Up -- RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(A), RctRtc-ToHit(39), GssSynFr--Build%(40), RechRdx-I(40)
Level 28: Freezing Touch -- HO:Nucle(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), GldStr-%Dam(42), TchofDth-Dam%(43), UnbCns-Dam%(43), Hct-Dam%(43)
Level 32: Boxing -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(45), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(45), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 38: Frozen Aura -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(48), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon
------------

Super cool and interesting. Might have to give this thing a whirl.

Ice is very sneaky good - its so smooth and underwhelming - yet not resisted by a lot of factions it kills very effectively.

It doesnt do huge numbers or lump damage but literally puts them on ice very fast steady and efficiently.

Edited by Infinitum
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 11:52 AM, Sovera said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Level 50 Magic Tanker

Hero Profile:
Level 16: Frost -- HO:Nucle(A), HO:Nucle(34), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(34), PstBls-Dam%(36), Ann-ResDeb%(36), ImpSwf-Dam%(36)
Level 18: Burn -- HO:Nucle(A), HO:Nucle(37), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(37), Obl-%Dam(37), Erd-%Dam(39), Arm-Dam%(39)
------------

I would love and appreciate a leveling build as I always adore kooky combos people wouldn't normally think of like this. I'm not a min/max pylon person so that stuff doesn't mean much for me. But something smooth to play and level? I'm totally down for that and loved my ice melee stalker. 

And just for curiosity, is there a preference for a tanker over, say, a brute or scrapper? Not that I hate tankers or anything, just like to learn what other people are thinking. 🙂

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

1 hour ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

I would love and appreciate a leveling build as I always adore kooky combos people wouldn't normally think of like this. I'm not a min/max pylon person so that stuff doesn't mean much for me. But something smooth to play and level? I'm totally down for that and loved my ice melee stalker. 

And just for curiosity, is there a preference for a tanker over, say, a brute or scrapper? Not that I hate tankers or anything, just like to learn what other people are thinking. 🙂

Tanker gets better defense numbers and bigger AoEs/wider cones (particularly good with Ice's Frost). Brutes get a small damage boost in terms of single target (so I hear anyway) but don't nearly have the high defenses/resists of Tankers. Scrappers beat both in AoE and ST but have the worst defenses of the three as well. On top of that Fire Armor on a Scrapper lacks an agro aura so the moment Burn is placed down the NPCs will hightail it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

And here is what I used, slightly modified from my experience leveling it. I purposefully did not slot recharge in Frost to get more out of the damage procs but this might not be the best approach if actually leveling at one's pace instead of rushing. It worked for me though since recharge was low enough and, lets face it, not much survived Frost + Burn.

A change I made in the builds instead of how I leveled was not taking Assault at 32. It was pretty heavy in endurance while leveling and while not a huge problem with Consume and Recovery Serums it was still something that could be mitigated by excluding a toggle. Instead I placed Ice Patch there which was something I did not level with. To be perfectly honest I don't think it -really- helps much since Build-up + Frost + Burn will melt one pack and what survives won't be enough to do much, but, why not? As a plus it serves as CC for things like PPs in Manticore, or healing Freaks which definitely counts as a DPS increase if we can avoid either 😄

The most important thing is to slot Burn first since it will carry the build heavily. Burn without procs is a warm summer breeze, and with procs it's a pack killer. Though it only hits five mobs it is common to kill twice as many since the procs activate a second time. First application kills a few mobs, a second later the pseudo pet activates the procs as well if RNG wills it and a few more mobs die from it.

Spoiler

Level 50 Magic Tanker

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blazing Aura -- GntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(A), GntFis-Acc/Dmg(3), GntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), GntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), GntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Frozen Fists -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(7), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(7), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9)
Level 6: Ice Sword -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(21), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(21), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23), GldStr-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(23), TchofDth-Dam%(25)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(34), RechRdx-I(45)
Level 16: Frost -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(34), PstBls-Dam%(34), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(36), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), ImpSwf-Dam%(36)
Level 18: Burn -- MghoftheT-Rchg/Res%(A), MghoftheT-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), MghoftheT-Dmg/Rchg(37), MghoftheT-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), Erd-%Dam(39), ScrDrv-Dam%(39)
Level 20: Build Up -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(39), RechRdx-I(40), GssSynFr--Build%(40)
Level 26: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(42), RechRdx-I(47)
Level 28: Freezing Touch -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(42), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(42), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), GldStr-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(43), TchofDth-Dam%(43)
Level 30: Ice Patch -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 32: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(45)
Level 35: Focused Accuracy -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-Pcptn(46)
Level 38: Frozen Aura -- Avl-Rchg/KDProc(A), Avl-Dmg/EndRdx(48), Avl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), Avl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Avl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 44: Boxing -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(45), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(46), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 47: Tough -- TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(A)
Level 49: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)
------------

Edited by Sovera
  • Thanks 2

Thanks @Sovera! Really appreciate your insights and providing the build along with why you did things the way you did. 🙂

• Like 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

No Ice Patch? I haven't made this build, but ice patch is a nice little one-slot power on my SR/Ice tank and I figured burn + Ice patch would be part of the fun of making fire/ice.

I'll look at your slotting for freezing touch... I have 4 superior blistering cold + the hecatomb and unbreakable constraint procs. Looks like your slotting generates a bit more damage but I do like the 6% fire/cold resistance the set gives me. 

6 minutes ago, eknudson said:

No Ice Patch? I haven't made this build, but ice patch is a nice little one-slot power on my SR/Ice tank and I figured burn + Ice patch would be part of the fun of making fire/ice.

I'll look at your slotting for freezing touch... I have 4 superior blistering cold + the hecatomb and unbreakable constraint procs. Looks like your slotting generates a bit more damage but I do like the 6% fire/cold resistance the set gives me. 

In practical terms it just does not do much. Once you're killing swathes of enemies what's left is not in high enough numbers to hurt. I need to make a GIF or something but even a pack of +4 melts. Once 10-12 enemies are reduced to 4-5 limping ones just waiting for a second Frost there is no point in even putting Ice Patch down.

Perhaps to tank the ITF but that's what Barrier is for. In your case not even that since SR ignores most of all debuffs.

Though Ice Patch does have niche uses. The big ambush on top of the hill in the first ITF mission (but Barrier usually handles it, even so it would help), preventing healing from Freaks as I've mentioned, but there's a good chance it might make even the Cyclops/Minotaurs flop (not sure if it does though, they are pretty CC immune but KD is a different brand of CC) and stop them from T9ing for a few crucial seconds to finish them off.

Overall I just found that I'd rather have and give more damage to everyone via Assault, but since the build is endurance heavy I might just slot into it and see if I can give use. But, I was playing with a friend in the 25+ bracket and there is not even time to place Ice Patch down when things are burned and frozen at our feet. Poor gal barely had time to pew pew some.

2 hours ago, DreadShinobi said:

You can use Intuition Radial instead of Musculature for Ice Melee, improves the range on frost and the hold duration on FT. Also a minor boost to slows, and if you take Soul Mastery like I did on my fire/ice tanker, the tohit debuffs as well.

A good point. Frost goes from 10 to 13.5 alone and FT from the hold lasting 13 to just shy of 16. It's not ground breaking but the damage boost of Musculature is not huge either (more of a 15% damage boost).

I'll put in the change.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sovera said:

A good point. Frost goes from 10 to 13.5 alone and FT from the hold lasting 13 to just shy of 16. It's not ground breaking but the damage boost of Musculature is not huge either (more of a 15% damage boost).

I'll put in the change.

Just rolled this build. Lv. 16 so far and it's already a blast. You truly feel like a "control" tanker.

I went to give it a try and respecced into Frost Patch at 30 (first real non essential opening in the build) and then soloed Yin to see if it helped. Not as an instrument for survival, but to see if stopped the Freaks from healing up which slows everything down.

And the veredict is, yes, kinda? It does not completely stop their healing up since Frost Patch seems to have a diminishing effect. The very first seconds the flopping is intense and then it slowly does less and during a micro second the Freakshow will heal up.

But this only means to wait until they are at half before using it and then use that intense first half to finish taking them down. For minions and lieutenants this is not required since they melt, but against the smashers it's good to have.

While I didn't test against PPs in Manticore there is no reason that strategy of waiting until half HP not to work as well which will really speed that TF up.

Also, the Frost Patch graphic does not match its actual buffed radius.

Edited by Sovera
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Also, the Frost Patch graphic does not match its actual buffed radius.

Whaaat, it got buffed? I assumed it woudn't get anything because it was a pseudopet, just like Irradiated Ground didn't get a radius buff.

Interest in /ice suddenly peaking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nihilii said:

Whaaat, it got buffed? I assumed it woudn't get anything because it was a pseudopet, just like Irradiated Ground didn't get a radius buff.

Interest in /ice suddenly peaking.

I can't say anything about that, but I noticed mobs flopping a good step away from the patch's circle as they tried to approach me. Could be a fluke, but...

5 hours ago, Sovera said:

I can't say anything about that, but I noticed mobs flopping a good step away from the patch's circle as they tried to approach me. Could be a fluke, but...

Yeah it definitely flops guys outside the visual. Fire/Ice is my main farm toon and it's very noticeable in the double spawn aggro events. Couldn't tell you what the actual number is tho, I don't pay that much attention!

• Like 1

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

On 1/31/2021 at 3:55 PM, Infinitum said:

Ice is very sneaky good - its so smooth and underwhelming - yet not resisted by a lot of factions it kills very effectively.

It doesnt do huge numbers or lump damage but literally puts them on ice very fast steady and efficiently.

Am I seeing an Infinitum Ice in the near future? 😂

18 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

I have had an awesome Ice Ice tanker for a while but I'm working on a few concept sentinels right now.

Keep me in the loop on the Sentinels man! I've always been interested in their archetype as kind of a "ranged scrapper." 

• Like 1

Just to throw out a few things to consider based on playing a lot of ice melee (Scrapper, Stalker, Brute, and Tanker).

-Cross Punch is a great addition to all Ice Melee sets except for Stalkers (probably the best version since they get rid of GIS for their Assassins Strike and it won't stack Assassin's Focus).    Ice has some really great powers as you pointed out (Freezing Touch, Frost) but also some of the worst (GIS, FF) so Cross Punch gives a solid alternative.  If you are lining up Frost, might as well follow up with Cross Punch and all its nice little bonuses, of course you have to find a way to take both Punch and Kick.

-Consider taking the Winter set out of Frozen Fists and putting those five into Freezing Touch and leave the purple hold damage proc there.   This lets you slot the Change for Hold proc from the winter set.  You know have good chance to up the Magnitude of your hold, instantly freezing Bosses and even EB's.   It also gives you more recharge and to me that is what you want in Freezing Touch, one of the best single target melee attacks in the game (1 second cast time!).  To me it is not a good candidate for proc'ing all damage at the expense of recharge.  You can still put the other purple proc somewhere else and they will do just as much damage.

My main is Ice/Fire/Fire scrapper by the way and everyone likes to trash it because of the runners but the secret is not letting them live to run away.  One thing that helps that is putting the Critical Strikes proc in Burn, pretty much a guaranteed proc to start off with followed by FT, Fireball, FA.  Ice Patch is also a must though.

I checked on my SR/Ice tank. Right now, I have 4 superior blistering cold in freezing touch, plus two purple damage procs. My recharge is only at 49.7%, unfortunately. But, according to MIDS that power currently does 88.6 damage per second as slotted.  If I switch to that slotting for full acc/dam/rech slotting in the first 5 and just one purple proc, MIDS says my dps drops down to 78.  Hitting more often, but enough less hard that it doesn't make up the difference. Those epic damage procs hit hard.

More recharge in FT does mean I can stack holds and hold bosses, but if I have to choose between holding bosses and killing them faster, I'm going with the latter for this build. 

On 2/3/2021 at 6:35 PM, Sgt. Terminus said:

-Cross Punch is a great addition to all Ice Melee sets except for Stalkers (probably the best version since they get rid of GIS for their Assassins Strike and it won't stack Assassin's Focus).    Ice has some really great powers as you pointed out (Freezing Touch, Frost) but also some of the worst (GIS, FF) so Cross Punch gives a solid alternative.  If you are lining up Frost, might as well follow up with Cross Punch and all its nice little bonuses, of course you have to find a way to take both Punch and Kick.

Cross Punch has basically the same dpa as Frozen Fists, although it is an AE with some supplemental benefits. It does not appear to receive arc/radius buffs from being a Tanker. So you're spending 2 powers (you have to take Boxing/Kick to access Tough/Weave anyway) to get what you already have for the most part.

Gloom on the other hand, is an amazing single target attack than can dramatically boost single target dps.