14 hours ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

*grumbles about being in a region which has been hit by the "12+ Star glitch"*

I am not familiar with that terminology, though I gather you either cannot watch it, or are having trouble watching it?

Due to the new service "Star" being introduced to Disney+, people in certain regions around the world have been locked out of  "Ages 12+" content on their accounts.  No official word from Disney yet as to the issue, leaving people in afflicted areas to speculate about whether they're going to need to pay premium fees to regain access to content they already previously had.  Users in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada have reported the issue.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well, my spouse gave in to Disney's ransom and paid the new premium price . . . that's another $9 a month for yet another streaming service . . . 

I miss the days when everything was just on Netflix.

Heard an interesting (to me anyway) theory yesterday at the office watercooler...

Spoiler

That "Ralph", the husband Agnes keeps referencing, is actually the big bad of WandaVision, and will be revealed to be manipulating Agatha, too.  I kind of like this.  It keeps with my struggling belief that Agatha is not the top tier villain of the series, and would jive with Paul Bettany's comments implying things to come in the show.

On the other hand, I rather like it when a show has a mystery character that's often referenced but never seen, like Maris Crane from "Frasier".  You can have a lot of fun with that.

On 2/21/2021 at 10:19 AM, TemporalVileTerror said:

Well, my spouse gave in to Disney's ransom and paid the new premium price . . . that's another $9 a month for yet another streaming service . . . 

My coworkers and I were discussing the explosion of paid internet channel services just the other day.  We'd concluded that although it's a pain in the neck to deal with, the only good financial solution right now is to monthly hop: binge watch one service, cancel, jump to another service.  Rinse and repeat.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Techwright said:

We'd concluded that although it's a pain in the neck to deal with, the only good financial solution right now is to monthly hop: binge watch one service, cancel, jump to another service.  Rinse and repeat.

This is the way.

• Haha 1

An Emp/Dark Defender built purely for soloing. Healing Aura and the RAs leaves plenty of room to buff mitigation. But then I thought, "wait a minute, isn't this just a Dark/Regen Sentinel without mez protection?" So now I have both. And like them both. Umbral Heilung and Penumbral Heilung.

Yup.

We're keeping our Netflix, but spouse cancelled AmazonPrime to make room for the new Disney Star.  Eventually we'll cancel Disney when we've watched what we want to and possibly switch back to Prime for a while longer.

Still really skeezy business practices, though.

• Like 1

My dear, dear peers have all the streaming services and are happy to share with me.

So . . . 

That latest episode . . . 

All just flashback exposition, basically.  Not a helluva lot of forward movement for the plot there.  Sadly, given the nature of the series' format, I suppose they kind of wrote themselves in to a corner to force themselves to do such an info-dump episode.

• Like 1

Felt like an extended 'previously on'.

Spoiler

Was hoping they'd get straight to her breakdown at finding out the kids aren't real and lead into other things but I guess we have to endure a season of her trying to get Vision's feels back. Or depending on what they do with Eternals maybe he'll be mind-controlled and take over the world first. Tough to be excited that they're mining the 40 years of mostly terrible before the Avengers actually got interesting.

Episode 8:

Spoiler

In a way, they did move the plot forward.  We discovered the "theft" of the Vision corpse was a lie, likely a fabrication of Hayward, and that the current Vision exists entirely from Wanda's breakdown. We also discovered in the tag that the original Vision has been reformed into White Vision.  For those of us who've not read the comics, it's now out there that there's not just magic (or future science as Stark would say), but that there's multiple kinds of magic, and they give off different colors.  Now casual viewers know that Wanda uses Chaos magic (red), which means Dr. Strange uses some sort of Order magic (orange), the Salem witches uses blue magic (another form of order magic?  I was unclear on that point), and Agatha uses purple, likely a blend of chaos and blue magic, as she admitted to studying forbidden arts. 

I found it an interesting episode.  Agatha was played to look the villain, but she was actually in discovery mode, and all sorts of teasers were there that she intends to help Wanda, though her discovery of Wanda being the Scarlet Witch might derail that.  She was clearly scared and using the kids to do the same thing a lesser animal does to frighten a more powerful one: take an aggressive look or posture that says you hold all the cards.  The revelation that "The Scarlet Witch" is not just a descriptive, but a being that others of power fear was surprising to me, but a little digging revealed why, and apparently it has to do with a certain named mountain and the secrets tied to a big baddie there, at least in the comics.

To me, the big surprise was: where was Monica during all this?  She was literally a short distance away at the end of episode 7.  I guess "Fietro" put up more of a resistance than I thought he'd be able to against Photon.

Hmm, i thought it was over but just had a googlestion saying 'the finale' is the longest episode. I'll withdraw my grousing temporarily with an option to reinstate. But really, who does 9 episodes?

I kinda thought Episode 8 was a filler. Not a lot of forward movement, mostly filling in plot holes and exposition. It was still worth the watch though. And I'm excited for the finale!

• Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 12:19 AM, TemporalVileTerror said:

When this was the case, I was in Korea where Netflix didn't have license to operate. So I ended up paying for a VPN.

Now I'm in Korea again, and though Netflix is available I now have the same problem with Disney+. Luckily NordVPN is very good and will automatically cycle IPs (or something?) until Disney+ relents and plays*.

Anyhow, all that to say basically the more things change, the more they stay the same. A good VPN is sometimes the necessary evil you need to get around regional restrictions. 

*Disney+ blocks known VPN-associated IPs

• Like 1