Comics that should be ported to the big screen (but not DC or Marvel)

What superhero comics, that are not properties of Marvel or DC should be ported over to the big screen, even if they are somewhat obscure?  I note that last bit because several of the Marvel properties were not household names until the MCU treatment.

I'll kick off with some Valiant Comics characters.  XO: Man-O-War (think Ironman with a living armor), Magnus: Robot Fighter (think COH tank with the ability to destroy robots with his bare hands), and Turok: the Dinosaur Hunter.  Of these, I think only Turok was given treatment elsewhere in a video game.  I also think Turok might be the strongest choice if only one movie was to be made, as it would appeal to the Jurassic Park fans.  Magnus' story is set in a distant future where mankind has given over all mundane tasks to robots, which have gradually grown stronger while humans, lacking challenge, have grown weaker.  It has elements that remind me of the Will Smith/Alan Tudyk film "I, Robot", as well as those that remind me of a dark-natured "Wall-E".  XO: Man-O-War would, I guess, appeal to folks who like Iron Man or Master Chief of Halo.

I'd also love to see someone make an MCU styled crossover series of the old pulp-fiction heroes:  Doc Savage, The Shadow, Green Hornet & Kato, maybe even The Phantom and Mandrake the Magician.  A Doc Savage/Shadow crossover was done in the comics years back, and it was quite entertaining to see their two polar-opposite natures clash:  Doc with his high standards and "rehabilitate them" outlook on dealing with criminals, contrasted with the Shadow's whatever-it-takes and "put 'em down" attitude.

IMO Grant Morrison's literal best superhero work, Zenith.

• Thumbs Up 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Valiant doesn't actually have the rights to Magnus or Turok (or Solar) anymore so their best stories wouldn't be available. I was really hoping for a Valiant universe in tv or movies but I don't know if Bloodshot did well enough to warrant that. XO or Harbinger would've been a better first choice. I think Fables would make a great tv series but there've probably already been too many similar but not as good things already. Early Grendel stuff would be good.

• Like 1

Hmm, Grendel.  I'm thinking the Warchild saga.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

4 minutes ago, Mr. Vee said:

Eh, I didn't care for anything after Devil's Reign other than the Batman/ stuff.

I get that.  They ARE quite patchy.  But Warchild just worked for me as a standalone.  And all before as sort of myth/legend.

Not superhero, but computer animation is pretty much to the point where Omaha The Cat Dancer could be done on a relatively modest budget.  Which reminds me that I haven't re-read it in...  way too long.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

• 1 month later

Just read American Way and frankly couldn't believe it hadn't been adapted already. Turns out the sequel is in the adaptation queue for a movie. The original would have to be a series, too long for a movie.

Edited by Mr. Vee

On 3/11/2021 at 6:33 PM, Haijinx said:

Elementals and Justice Machine

I like the Justice Machine, but I was disappointed to find out their backstory was just made up.  The adventures of the Justice Machine on Georwell seemed more interesting than their adventures on Earth.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DougGraves said:

I like the Justice Machine, but I was disappointed to find out their backstory was just made up.  The adventures of the Justice Machine on Georwell seemed more interesting than their adventures on Earth.

Whoa.  I must not have gotten that far in the series.

• 1 month later
  • 2 months later
1 hour ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Powers

I take it you missed the Sony series. Was kind of doomed from the start since it was a flagship series for them trying to launch a playstation tv thing. Wasn't terrible but the effects and acting had some rough edges. I don't remember if it had a definitive ending or not. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1851040/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Just now, Mr. Vee said:

I take it you missed the Sony series. Was kind of doomed from the start since it was a flagship series for them trying to launch a playstation tv thing. Wasn't terrible but the effects and acting had some rough edges. I don't remember if it had a definitive ending or not. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1851040/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I knew of it but I didn't have the ability to watch it but I did see a few stills and Christian Walker was too small and unkempt for my liking.

As an aside, I believe having spoken briefly with Oeming that they would be very open to a Powers MMO - which would completely rock.

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

Wally Wood's Sally Forth and The Misfits.

Bill Ward's Torchy.

Paolo Serpieri's Druuna.

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

• 1 month later
  • 2 weeks later
On 8/9/2021 at 1:27 PM, Nericus said:

Buck Rogers,. Time to get the original sci-fi adventurer back on the screen.   Also please include a cameo of a destroyed Twiki the robot

Flash Gordon

RoboCop vs the Terminator

As a fan of pulp fiction, radio, and dieselpunk heroes, I heartily concur with the Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon ideas.  Not so keen on the Twiki idea, though I'd be up for it if the robot being destroyed was that awful Crichton from season 2.