Opinion piece; the worst TF/SF and why

The_Warpact

I intensely  dislike the Shadow Shard in it's entirety.  I avoid the Task Forces there like the plague.  Only time I am even tempted is when they are the Bonus Merit TF's and even then I look for a speed run.

For "normal" Task Forces, Synapse, Citadel and Numina are the ones that are just too long.  Each of these could be shortened by a lot and still retain the flavor.  Too many kill alls, street hunts, etc.  Just not fun to spend over an hour slogging through content with no real story to be told.

The hunts in TF are almost always the grindy part.

Run here arrest # y. Run here arrest # z. and possibly repeat.

Some of the TF handle this better than others.

THere are some "arrest # y" TF missions that  you don't even have to go anywhere to complete, because, if you stand where you are, there is an ambush of # y on the way to attack you.

And I would say that the worst part of the TF hunt missions that I have run into is that all the mobs I'm supposed to fight are grey. One character can get the needed # in a minute or two. So it is pretty much "busy work".

Back-in-the-day, a TF was like a tour of the City. TF teams raced across the City to the next mission. You could be standing around and 6-8 heroes go zooming by to save the world and that was kind of cool. Racing to missions was kind of cool as well.

Most TF I'm on now, it's like you finish a mission and someone yells "tt" and it's Team Teleport to the next mission, so that flying around the City is pretty much lost. (I'm guilty of this as my characters are pretty much always going to have tt if I'm joining a TF ... even if they are level 8 and joining a Posi 1 TF)

So, yeah, I would get rid of the hunts or turn them all into level relevant ambushes. Waves of foes attacking that chase you down until defeated.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 2/13/2021 at 1:04 PM, KaizenSoze said:

Citadel is also boring, but at better level range. Even if you are punching Nazi faces, it's still a slog.

What makes Citadel such an annoying slog is the endless "Clear out this base in IP. Now clear out this base in Talos Island. Now clear out this base in IP." back and forth over and over again. If you were clearing Council bases in IP, then moved to Talos to clear more, it would be less oppressive.

1. Shard TFs need a rework. I'd start by making it a 50+ zone and rethinking how you travel in it.

There needs to be a reason to fly from place to place other than "Wow, this place looks neat!" A large flying monster or Rikti War Ship to fight... something out there. After 20 minutes of trying to find 50 of some mob that barely exists and will give no rewards to most players isn't great design.

2. Katie Hannon TF. A Great TF. But the second mission was changed to stop speed runners. It's the worst map to lead an NPC out and there are stacked anti-target, anti-teleport measures on her. Three of the last 5 times I've run it she's on her own jumped into the ceiling and stuck there forever.

3. Woodsman - better now with the HO/titan change but it still feels unfairly punished (Cavern trial gives more merits and you can solo it!) for being able to run fast. It also has numerous potential (they don't always happen) glitches such as mobs that can spawn at level 54 regardless of setting, ambrosia not dropping and Titans that drop at -2 to your level. It's still likely has the most striking maps of any content here.

Edited by Rejolt

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

10 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Realistically this one is probably just easier to solo for many ATs.  The CW King is a pushover.

But you can get a team for it usually.  

If you time your mission teleports for early in the TF so you have them again later for Boomtown and Steel then you can solo in under an hour. The more annoying parts for it are usually the hunt 30 clocks and patrols.

• Like 1

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

11 hours ago, srmalloy said:

What makes Citadel such an annoying slog is the endless "Clear out this base in IP. Now clear out this base in Talos Island. Now clear out this base in IP." back and forth over and over again. If you were clearing Council bases in IP, then moved to Talos to clear more, it would be less oppressive.

There's even those two missions where you clear out the SAME mission door twice in a row.  Which seems dumb.

• Like 1

I'm one of the weirdos who actually LIKES the Shard. The TFs aren't the most thrilling, but the place itself is gorgeous and the goons are interesting. 

As for the other TF/SFs... I can't stand Synapse's or Numina's... They're both just way-too-long snore-fests. The Shard TFs may drag, but at least they have the advantage of interesting scenery! Synapse? Not so much. 🤣

• Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

31 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

I'm one of the weirdos who actually LIKES the Shard. The TFs aren't the most thrilling, but the place itself is gorgeous and the goons are interesting. 

As for the other TF/SFs... I can't stand Synapse's or Numina's... They're both just way-too-long snore-fests. The Shard TFs may drag, but at least they have the advantage of interesting scenery! Synapse? Not so much. 🤣

Something I've noticed about the old devs is that they made these huge zones and then had a smattering of content for them.

Rather wasteful and thats why they are so dead, it doesn't help it when they have crappy TFs on top of it.

Having some contacts and maybe some repeatable content would help.

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

2 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

Something I've noticed about the old devs is that they made these huge zones and then had a smattering of content for them.

Rather wasteful and thats why they are so dead, it doesn't help it when they have crappy TFs on top of it.

Having some contacts and maybe some repeatable content would help.

The Shard actually does have a repeatables contact... That's Hammond. He's right across from the entry portal in Zulu.

• Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

3 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

The Shard actually does have a repeatables contact... That's Hammond. He's right across from the entry portal in Zulu.

Goes to show you how much I know about blueside lol.

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

1 hour ago, Doomguide2005 said:

No one has even mentioned a particular annoyance with Numina's TF. 

You're one Rikti World Invasion away from putting the TF on hold as all the hunt targets vanish from the zone being invaded.  

Siri. Make a Note. Start speed run Lady Gray TF the next time Doomguide2005 advertises a Numina.

• Haha 2