Game Master / Community Helper Application

• Lead Game Master

Community Helper Applications

We are looking to expand our team by taking on some Community Helpers. This role differs from being a Game Master (see below). A lot of players have reached out asking how they can help - well, here it is! A community helper has no official authority in player disciplinary matters, nor access to in-game powers. They are members from the community that are respected, helpful with the player base, and knowledgeable/involved with certain areas of the game (see below for details). If you are an active player and looking to help the Game Masters, please consider applying!

Application: CLICK HERE TO APPLY FOR A COMMUNITY HELPER ROLE

What we're looking for:

• Friendly/helpful players
  • Active/knowledgeable with any of the following in-game communities
    • Roleplay
    • PvP
    • Architect Entertainment
    • Base Building
  • Professional demeanor
  • Team oriented
  • Respected member in the game
    • Someone specific come to mind? Send them the application and have them apply!

Community Helper Role:

• Reports to the Game Masters/Lead Game Masters
  • Able to plan and run in-game events for the RP/PvP/AE/Base Building communities
    • Got any ideas/suggestions? We'd love to hear them! Include it in the application.
  • Assist Game Masters in judging Homecoming Costume Contests when needed.
  • Public Persona - As you will not have access to any GM commands, you will be a public facing figure and there will be no separation between your personal game account/Community Helper one.

If you're interested, please fill out the application in the link above OR contact any Lead Game Master for any additional questions!

Game Master Applications

We are also always on the lookout for new Game Masters to join our team. Game Masters, at their core, are player support. Their role is to enforce the Code of Conduct and policies set in place by the Homecoming Team! A Game Master is NOT part of the development team (At present we’re not recruiting additional resources for the development team, but we do hope to open this up later in the year. Please keep an eye on future announcements and we’ll let you know when this changes!). They do not control what is being worked on behind the scenes. If you're the kind of person that is always checking help-chat or the one people turn to for questions, this may be a great role for you!

Application: CLICK HERE TO APPLY FOR A GAME MASTER ROLE

What we're looking for:

• Friendly/helpful players
  • Players that can speak at least one language on top of being fluent in English (specifically we’re looking for French, Spanish and German)
  • Mac OS and Linux experts
  • Players that are available outside of peak US hours
  • Players with an in-depth knowledge of the game, common problems (and solutions) as well as troubleshooting techniques
  • Knowledge/awareness of the Code of Conduct
  • Professional demeanor
  • Team oriented
  • Loves the game and wants to be more involved
  • Patient and enjoys helping others
  • Active/Time - The team is entirely volunteer based. We are appreciative of anyone willing to help out, but we request you have the available free time to do so and be active in the team! 

Game Master Role

• Reports to Lead Game Masters/Homecoming Team
  • Essentially helps to 'run' the game
  • Player Support - We assist players with a variety of tasks. Being able to assist in any of these areas is an asset. 
    • Answering support request tickets (stuck missions, stuck NPCs, Code of Conduct Violations, etc)
    • Helping players with game-related technical difficulties
  • Communicates well with players and is able to de-escalate situations
  • Anonymity - We volunteer because we love to play the game and help the community. We request our GMs keep their personal game identities/GM identities separate which allows us to discipline when necessary but still enjoy playing the game.
  • Costume Contest
    • Game Masters run the Homecoming Costume Contest. Part of joining the team is helping to judge/plan these events!

If you're interested, please fill out the application in the link above OR contact any Lead Game Master for any additional questions!

Please contact me on the Homecoming Discord for a faster response! GM Arcanum#7164

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• 1 month later
  • 2 months later

Here is the first step of the application link above -- a prerequisite for Homecoming consideration for a volunteer position.

Homecoming Community Helper Application Form
So, you're interested in becoming a CH? You've come to the right place!

Firstly, we need your email address in order to contact you.
[Google Docs login]

Now, there's a few things we want to make clear before continuing...

Being a CH requires some responsibility. *
We expect members of the CH team to contribute, not just wear the CH title as status symbol. If you aren't passionate about helping out with the operation of Homecoming and assisting the community, this probably isn't for you.
I understand and agree

You will not be given any in-game advantages *
CHs are not permitted to give an advantage to themselves or other players in any way. Anyone caught doing this will not only have their CH position terminated, but may also face consequences on their main account as well depending on the severity of the infraction.
I understand and agree

Your logs will be reviewed *
As part of this process we will review your in-game chat logs to determine if you would be a good fit for the team.

I understand and agree

Legal Jibber-jabber *
BY USING THIS FORM YOU CONFIRM THAT YOU HAVE READ AND AGREED TO THE HOMECOMING USER AGREEMENT (https://forums.homecomingservers.com/user-agreement/) AND PRIVACY POLICY (https://forums.homecomingservers.com/privacy-policy/). ANY INFORMATION PROVIDED IS SUBJECT TO THESE TERMS.
I understand and agree
Assuming that's all good with you... let's move on!

I have really wanted to add volunteer work for Homecoming to my monetary support to date. Being an IT professional, it appears I check off almost all "boxes" before consideration of my decades long resume, with abundant references and security clearances.

To my knowledge, I am compliant with the Code of Conduct. An imperfect but otherwise better than average player and community member.

But I take strong exception with the section in bold above.  Is this acceptable to everyone? Did you realize this was a prerequisite for an unpaid position with minimal authority?

You are of course implementing policy from above, but I must respectfully but directly address you, @GM Arcanum. Please explain this prerequisite.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, RMS33 said:

To my knowledge, I am compliant with the Code of Conduct. An imperfect but otherwise better than average player and community member.

But I take strong exception with the section in bold above.  Is this acceptable to everyone? Did you realize this was a prerequisite for an unpaid position with minimal authority?

Even (and often especially) the smartest of persons can be a real jerk, so I would see something like this (paid or not) as understandable. I would expect anything I do to be critiqued as if this were a business even though it's currently a volunteer effort. Especially considering they've been trying for nearly a decade to get the game back for real and that would likely convert the current arrangement into at minimum a pseudo-"For-Profit" venture (even if just enough to get a decent dev team built up).

Edited by WanderingAries
Clarifying that I'm Not throwing my hat into the ring...
  • Like 3

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• Game Master
8 hours ago, RMS33 said:

Here is the first step of the application link above -- a prerequisite for Homecoming consideration for a volunteer position.

I have really wanted to add volunteer work for Homecoming to my monetary support to date. Being an IT professional, it appears I check off almost all "boxes" before consideration of my decades long resume, with abundant references and security clearances.

You are of course implementing policy from above, but I must respectfully but directly address you, @GM Arcanum. Please explain this prerequisite.

It's the same thing as a background check, just, in-game. We have to make sure you're not some "pineapple on pizza"-loving heathen!

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

Thus does the unthinkable become commonplace. You blithely gloss over Homecoming's adoption of the most corrosive and dehumanizing of corporate policies.

Your policy turns every communication we have every made with COH friends into a potential liability. Fodder for any person designated by management, even the least qualified and most biased. A cause for disqualification from employment (see economic devastation).

And a standard impossible to equally enforce, particularly upon upper management.

The flippancy with which you dismiss my objection suggests the policy has been deemed acceptable for the sake of expediency. A fundamentally destructive position in itself, but at least better than the growing evidence that Homecoming intends to operate as a typical corporation. Increasing the likelihood that every ounce of support will eventually line the pockets of NC Soft or a similarly hostile entity.

I realize that my dissent alone will cause many to immediately declare me as "not a good fit". Let alone insisting that the walk match the talk in protecting people versus profit.

So be it. Homecoming has joined the growing chorus of you'd better "watch what you say". As it can and will at any time be used against you.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

@RMS33 I agree, speaking as somebody who's had to manage problems like this before, it unfortunately puts Homecoming in a difficult position.

Now, I don't know the intimate details of Homecoming's operation, but I'm going to assume that it functions purely at a volunteer level with little official capacity. Without regulation from an official board or committee, there is a dangerous grey area surrounding the use of personal information that cause problems for Homecoming if not handled carefully.

On the one hand, Homecoming has to keep logs for a platform like this so that any criminal intent can be reported to the authorities. On the other hand, using this data internally without oversight is extremely risky business. I'm not blind to the fact that this originated as a pirate server, many things about the operations are going to be considered illicit, or at least a legally grey, but reducing liabily should be a big concern here.

in the interest to data protection, and its subsequent laws and regulations, I can only advise that this personal information is used in the strictest capacity, and not for recruitment. Even if Homecoming is entirely in the clear, everything about this is project is volunteer, and it doesnt seem like fair conduct to practice recruitment this way given that they are not liable to their stakeholders.

Personally, I would just give each volunteer a probation period where a GM can supervise and evaluate them. After which, a decision can be made whether they're a good fit or not.

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Game Master
Posted (edited)

@RMS33 If we "operated like a typical corporation", I wouldn't have made that remark 😃

But if you want to be all serious about it, fine. I'm not 100% sure what the leads are looking for when they review chat logs, but the let ME in of all people, and I'm a hot mess who embarrasses themselves on the daily! So unless you're literally breaking our rules by engaging in hate speech, RMT, underage ERP, have an account full of copyright violations, or you're just a pedantic asshat in chat, you should be fine. It's less about being a good fit, and more about making sure we're not putting a rule-breaker in charge of enforcing said rules. We don't want literal corrupt cops on our team. That's fair, isn't it?

But we ARE corporately structured in other ways. We sign NDAs, we're compartmentalized, we have to log our actions and report things to higher ups... Homecoming is a very tightly run ship, it's not just a bunch of slackers doing whatever they want. And this is for the players' benefit. We can't have GMs abusing their power or authority, after all! You can appreciate that, can't you? We have rules in place so that we DON'T BECOME the tyrants that you're so concerned about. And speaking of tyrants...

Yes, @Tyrannical, (see what I did there? =D) we actually do have a probationary period for new GMs while they learn the ropes 😃

But yeah, sorry for causing offense and distress. I just thought I'd lighten the mood a little, but clearly, that didn't work, so I hope my more extended explanation is satisfactory 😃

Edited by GM Impervium
  • Thanks 3

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

25 minutes ago, GM Impervium said:

@RMS33 If we "operated like a typical corporation", I wouldn't have made that remark 😃   [...] So unless [...] you're just a pedantic asshat in chat, you should be fine.

Many will undoubtedly find your first explanation to be sympathetic and logical. But you then explicitly admit how the Homecoming implementation of this policy is exactly as @Tyrannical and I have stated.

We chose to put our reputations on the line not just for the sake of decency, but the integrity of Homecoming as a whole. That you would, from a position of authority, attempt to dismiss our substantive objection with a joke is typically corporate.

To double down with a non-apology and other obvious or otherwise irrelevant statements is too, but sadly unprofessional and counterproductive.

Bottom line? I am sorry that you chose to defend what should be indefensible. And force me to defend the most basic of human rights, in circumstances that will cause many to call me far worse things than you will dare.

It is a mournful reality that so many appear oblivious to why this policy is dangerous and wrong. Or will choose to remain silent now to avoid condemnation. Shame.

Posted (edited)

@RMS33, you're not defending basic human rights. You may want this to be a soapbox for your soliloquy, but this is a video game forum, these are volunteers, the CoC is reasonable, the GM sign up is straight forward and fair. You're acting like you're being forced to do something. If you don't agree with the requirements, don't do it. 

And one other thing - this isn't a personal bubble where you only exist. They aren't 'your personal communications,' - you don't own them. You agree to this every time you log in. 

Edited by Glacier Peak
Name of poster
  • Like 3

Ya know, you have the choice to not become a GM, right? 

If you find the policy unacceptable, then don't join.  Nobody is making light of your 1st Amendment rights.  But, just as this endeavor is all volunteer, so is becoming a GM.  There is nothing about the evaluation process that is more intrusive than what ANY social media platform does with your information, for purposes that are much more insidious, and exploitative. 

TL;DR, if you object that much, withdraw your application. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What was no more, is REBORN!

Posted (edited)

Doesn't the First Amendment give you the freedom of speech to criticize the government, anyway? You're free to say whatever you like, but you're not free from repercussions if what you say is problematic, or could damage the reputation of an entity you represent.

As such, it would particularly bad if someone had gone on a rather intensive and inflammatory rant somewhere and then came to be part of a larger entity that didn't want to appear as though they supported such rhetoric. It's, as far as I know, perfectly in line for a business to do so.

@RMS33, I have followed your career and your passion across many threads. You're a SUPER passionate player and I think we can all agree we all need folks like you. However, I think you need to re-evaluate the intensity of your apprehension to this matter. It's not that big of a deal. If you elect to represent the company, they should know how you've been using their product. If it's a hot-button issue for you, then it's not for you. And that's perfectly OK too.

Edited by GreenSpark
  • Thanks 1

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

8 minutes ago, GreenSpark said:

@RMS33, I have followed your career and your passion across many threads. You're a SUPER passionate player and I think we can all agree we all need folks like you. However, I think you need to re-evaluate the intensity of your apprehension to this matter. It's not that big of a deal. If you elect to represent the company, they should know how you've been using their product. If it's a hot-button issue for you, then it's not for you. And that's perfectly OK too.

I am very grateful for the support and kindness.

My intensity is only necessary because of the dogged insistence on avoiding the point. And the ways my position is being maligned -- mostly with hackneyed corporate rhetoric. (Thanks nonetheless to my fellow plebes for being relatively gentle thus far).

To paraphrase @Tyrannical, our sensitive personal information is not being used in the strictest capacity necessary to protect the game and its users. It is instead being used as a short cut for recruitment. That alone is a slippery slope that invites a host of problems. And in spite of your declaration, it is at best a controversial use of personal information.

You have confirmed that this will remain the official position of Homecoming.  My aim has always been to support any good that might come from that. I therefore relent.

But being now covered in mud, one last statement. I have gladly endured exhaustive investigation and intense sacrifice during much of my life. For important reasons, such as the freedom and equality now being dismissed because "it's just business".

It is truly disheartening to know there is no place for someone like me here. Especially because those who feel as I do are legion, even if not counted. Rather than encouraging our better nature, your policy will reinforce what we have too much of already -- Self censorship and false behavior. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, RMS33 said:

It is truly disheartening to know there is no place for someone like me here. Especially because those who feel as I do are legion, even if not counted. Rather than encouraging our better nature, your policy will reinforce what we have too much of already -- Self censorship and false behavior. 

😬

Are you maybe being a little bit dramatic?

While I don't follow @RMS33's exact position on the matter, I do agree from a from a HR/Logistics perspective.

Background checks are notorious for discrimination if used incorrectly, and I think in this particular instance that's what's going on here. Using in-game chat logs is not in any way representative of the person's ability to conduct themselves in a professional manner, this is a game, and they're going to treat it as such. At the end of the day, this is a recreational environment, where people feel removed from the kind of scrutiny they would expect from any other platform, where they can feel safe expressing themselves and engage with people within the context of the game itself.

As for the rationale behind the background checks? I find "making sure nobody is breaking the rules" to be highly dubious. We all break rules when we think nobody is watching, we're breaking the rules right now by simply playing the game, so it's something of a controversial position to take. If somebody has been reported by other players for CoC violations in-game, then sure, that is completely reasonable, but using data on how they conduct themselves privately isn't going to provide a good evaluation of their character. The whole "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" mentality towards this is simply not a fair position to take.

If the Homecoming team are still determined that background checks should be considered, then the only suitable platform to do so would be this very forum. This is a space created entirely for the purpose of social networking and debate, where you are expected to be kind and civil to your fellow users, and where your activity is entirely public.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@RMS33 has very good points.  The tone may or may not be completely appropriate, but the issues expressed here really should be treated with respect and care.

How the Homecoming Team conducts themselves in their recruitment and expansion has been subject to a lot of criticism specifically because it's so obscured and one-sided.

While there's an argument to be made that the Homecoming Team have to operate with a certain level of secrecy to maintain the operations of the server, and the individual people who make up the Homecoming Team should absolutely have their privacy protected . . . from all outward observation, this particular agreement form sounds more like a pledge for a "boy's club" rather than something an organization seeking legitimacy should ever do.

We have had excellent transparency for things like the financial costs of the operation and the server hardware (thanks again for all that detail, @Telephone) . . . but NDAs (both Disclosure AND Disparagement) have been subject to immense revulsion in the games industry as of late, and for very, VERY good reason.
Homecoming's use of such for one-way accountability coupled with the ambiguous part of "we're going to look at your logs" leaves a very bitter taste in some of our mouths.  Justifiably.

I absolutely want to help and contribute to Homecoming, but the details on what is entailed there are horribly obscured.  Whether things will be improved assuming an agreement with NC or not is entirely speculative.  

Ethics matter.  But the way things are presented right now, there are clear gaps in that regard.

Expanding on what @Tyrannical is saying, reviewing PUBLIC chat channels is one thing.  Reviewing private chat is entirely different.  That agreement form does not specify which.

While time is at a premium, a more legitimate and fair method would be to perform an interview process after the Homecoming Team review an applicant's résumé.  It's basic professionalism.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Developer
4 hours ago, GM Impervium said:

it's not just a bunch of slackers doing whatever they want.

*looks around nervously*

• Haha 6

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master! For science and community!

Seems you misunderstand the issue here, @Glacier Peak, if you're using the "if you have nothing to hide" argument.

However, overt discussions on politics are expressly against the rules here . . . so . . . 

Yeah.  

Expressing the full breadth of the criticisms on the topic are a little difficult to broach without getting oneself in to trouble.

Which . . . -is- the issue.  Or at least a pretty significant part of it.

Have you ever read or signed an NDA before (either type)?  Have you ever BEEN BROUGHT TO COURT for one?

It is not a pleasant experience.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

Seems you misunderstand the issue here, @Glacier Peak, if you're using the "if you have nothing to hide" argument.

However, overt discussions on politics are expressly against the rules here . . . so . . . 

Yeah.  

Expressing the full breadth of the criticisms on the topic are a little difficult to broach without getting oneself in to trouble.

Which . . . -is- the issue.  Or at least a pretty significant part of it.

Have you ever read or signed an NDA before (either type)?  Have you ever BEEN BROUGHT TO COURT for one?

It is not a pleasant experience.

I am not misunderstanding the issue here at all @GraspingVileTerror, I made clear that the only expectation of privacy for players comes from what they personally agree to every single time they log in. Anything beyond that is opinion, subjective, and well... rather irrelevant. If a player clicks 'Reject,' the game client closes. It is rather simple actually.

Edit: Just noticed the question posed at the bottom of your post - answering a question like that is kind of moot. To divulge you signed an NDA is... counter intuitive to say the least?

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

I am not misunderstanding the issue here at all @GraspingVileTerror, I made clear that the only expectation of privacy for players comes from what they personally agree to every single time they log in. Anything beyond that is opinion, subjective, and well... rather irrelevant. If a player clicks 'Reject,' the game client closes. It is rather simple actually.

I'm sure you've had hundreds of emails of companies saying "we've made changes to our terms and conditions"

... this is how that happens.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, sorry @Glacier Peak.  I should have been more express in stating the questions were meant to be rhetorical for the sake of self-reflection.

But let's do be honest and fair here; it would be QUITE the draconian NDA that says you can't even mention that you've ever historically signed any unrelated NDAs.  Not saying they don't exist, of course . . . 

"Trust us" is never sufficient.  ESPECIALLY in something so clandestine.

It's been an issue from the get-go here:  Is Homecoming an organization seeking legitimacy, or a virtual clubhouse for friends?

They say they're the former, but they're not exactly giving us enough to safely say for sure.  And when stuff like these particular forms pop up, it's a bad look.

As ever, the financials and server hardware reports have been a great place to look for an example of the level of transparency that would serve them well in other departments.  Particularly recruitment, development, and H.R. practises.

I agree that they should reasonably protect the individuals that make up the Team.  

I agree they should reasonably protect the operation from liability.  

But I don't want them to be overzealous or resort to methods which are regularly exploitative within the professional field members of the Homecoming Team are reportedly working.  

Otherwise, it implies three possibilities to me:  A)  They don't care.  B)  They don't know.  C)  Or they know and they care, but in the worst ways possible.

None of those are particularly great scenarios.

Hell, the issues within the industry are now being reported openly and getting media traction.  Even if the members of the Team responsible for this problematic recruitment form have not personally experienced these serious problems in the industry and ignore their professional peers, it's not exactly difficult to learn about those problems (which have been around for years) from other sources.

These things matter.

It would be nice to see that they matter here too.

• Like 1
  • Homecoming Team

@Rejected @GraspingVileTerror @Tyrannical @Glacier Peak

Just catching up here.

The log checks are for the protection of both ourselves and for the project as a whole. To be candid, we need to know that you aren't going to be an asshole to people and abuse your position in any way. This has happened before, and we would like to avoid it happening again.

Checking logs, while not perfect, is one of the few ways we're able to gain some knowledge about an applicant, and we're absolutely going to use it to help avoid potential problems. An immense amount of trust is placed in everyone who joins the team, as the consequences of a staff member going rogue are potentially catastrophic. Remember we're on the path to legitimacy here - for example, what do you think would happen if a GM decided to expose details of a personal dispute between players? Not only would it look bad, but there's data protection issues to consider as well.

By joining the team you are asking all of us - The admin team, the other volunteers, and the playerbase as a whole - to trust you. I don't think it's unreasonable for us to ask you to trust us as well.

For reference: the Contributor Agreement (which all volunteers sign) does not prevent individuals from disclosing the fact that they've signed the agreement.

• Thumbs Up 3

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

3 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

For reference: the Contributor Agreement (which all volunteers sign) does not prevent individuals from disclosing the fact that they've signed the agreement.

But Jimmy, why haven't you revealed your secret identity and your logs with me?

• Haha 1
  • Homecoming Team
Just now, Bionic_Flea said:

But Jimmy, why haven't you revealed your secret identity and your logs with me?

It's literally just me saying "But Bionic Flea" over and over again. The anti-spam filter is the only thing that stops me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!