Sign in to follow this  
Frazier

In Memory of @Rose Vortex...

Sunday at 3pm Central The Sisterhood SG will host it's weekly Sisterhood Sunday and do the Sister Psyche arc in memory and honor of one of our own fallen sisters. We lost @Rose Vortex today and want to run Sister Psyche as it was one of the things we as a SG loved to run even after it was no longer an official task force.

We all got 12 "bonus" years with her thanks to organ donors that allowed her to get two double lung transplants due to Cystic Fibrosis.

Anyone that wishes to join us is welcome to come join us. (On Excelsior)

@Frazier

@Daisy Diesel

and all the other leaders of The Sisterhood SG.

Edited by Frazier
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 7

So 2021 really trying to be crappier than 2020?  Taking that "challenge accepted" meme a bit far huh?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

I didn't know her.

I did.  She, her husband @Kalkin and I used to play together.

Rose came into this world with a countdown ticking away in her ear.  She understood her own mortality in a way very few of us will ever comprehend.  A lot of people, if they'd had to live with that, would never have bothered to try to do anything with their lives.  A lot of people who don't live with that never try to do anything with their lives, actually.  I was one of those people.  I wasn't doing anything with my life when I met Rose and Kal.  Working, to keep paying rent, so I could keep working.  That was my entire existence.  Meeting Rose and learning what she lived with, and how she dealt with it... she changed the direction of my life.

Rose knew she didn't have forever.  She didn't hate the world for that.  She didn't give up and lie in bed, waiting for the end.  She didn't turn to drugs or alcohol or some other self-destructive solution.  She accepted that she had only so long, and decided to use the time she had to be happy.  A career.  A husband.  A family.  Friends.  Love.  An ordinary life.  These were the things she wanted, and those were the things she reached out and grasped, held on to and reveled in.  And all of that was before I met her and Kal.

No-one I've ever known has amazed me more.  Rose had more courage, determination and dignity than I thought anyone could have.  Just knowing that she could face the kind of adversity she did, achieve everything she did, build the life she had, and still be one of the happiest and most thoughtful people I'd encountered... it affected me more profoundly than I can say.  She inspired me to do more, to do better, with my life.

Rose was my hero.  We tend to use that word a little too frequently, attaching it to people without really meaning it.  I mean it in this case.  Rose was my hero.  My life is infinitely better for having known her, for trying to live up to the example she set for me.  I wouldn't have this cabin, the land it's on, the confidence and inner peace I've developed, if it weren't for her.  Knowing that she was brave enough to get up off of her ass and do something with the time she had, while I, in my comparatively good health, just sat and waited to die... I was ashamed, and angry at myself, and determined to do better.  To be better.  To be more like Rose.

After her first transplant, we lost contact.  Rose and Kal went their way, I went mine.  I was actually delighted to see her leave Co*, though, because it meant she was out of that house.  It meant she was living, the way she had been before the CF grew really bad.  Over the years, I wondered what she'd done, how she and Kal were, and I wanted to let her know what I'd done and what she meant to me.  When I found these forums, the first thing I did was look through the reconnection posts to see if she and Kal were around, and when I saw that they were, I was thrilled.  I... I intended to play with her and Kal, but I just never got around to it.  I thought they'd always be there.  I thought she'd always be there.

There's a gaping hole inside me right now.  I've been crying since I read the announcement.  The world feels emptier without her, even though we weren't as close as some of you were with her.  I miss her.  I wanted to talk to her, to catch up with her, one more time, but I'm not sad because I didn't have a chance for closure.  I'm sad because my hero is gone.  But I'm looking around, reminding myself of everything I've done since we met, everything I did because she inspired me to do and be more, and I remind myself that Rose... Rose was strong, so I'll be strong, too.  And I hope I can do it half as well as she did.

@Kalkin, if there's anything I can do, for you or your family...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

26 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Rose came into this world with a countdown ticking away in her ear.  She understood her own mortality in a way very few of us will ever comprehend.  A lot of people, if they'd had to live with that, would never have bothered to try to do anything with their lives.  A lot of people who don't live with that never try to do anything with their lives, actually.  I was one of those people.  I wasn't doing anything with my life when I met Rose and Kal.  Working, to keep paying rent, so I could keep working.  That was my entire existence.  Meeting Rose and learning what she lived with, and how she dealt with it... she changed the direction of my life.

Rose knew she didn't have forever.  She didn't hate the world for that.  She didn't give up and lie in bed, waiting for the end.  She didn't turn to drugs or alcohol or some other self-destructive solution.  She accepted that she had only so long, and decided to use the time she had to be happy.  A career.  A husband.  A family.  Friends.  Love.  An ordinary life.  These were the things she wanted, and those were the things she reached out and grasped, held on to and reveled in.  And all of that was before I met her and Kal.

No-one I've ever known has amazed me more.  Rose had more courage, determination and dignity than I thought anyone could have.  Just knowing that she could face the kind of adversity she did, achieve everything she did, build the life she had, and still be one of the happiest and most thoughtful people I'd encountered... it affected me more profoundly than I can say.  She inspired me to do more, to do better, with my life.

Rose was my hero.  We tend to use that word a little too frequently, attaching it to people without really meaning it.  I mean it in this case.  Rose was my hero.  My life is infinitely better for having known her, for trying to live up to the example she set for me.  I wouldn't have this cabin, the land it's on, the confidence and inner peace I've developed, if it weren't for her.  Knowing that she was brave enough to get up off of her ass and do something with the time she had, while I, in my comparatively good health, just sat and waited to die... I was ashamed, and angry at myself, and determined to do better.  To be better.  To be more like Rose.

After her first transplant, we lost contact.  Rose and Kal went their way, I went mine.  I was actually delighted to see her leave Co*, though, because it meant she was out of that house.  It meant she was living, the way she had been before the CF grew really bad.  Over the years, I wondered what she'd done, how she and Kal were, and I wanted to let her know what I'd done and what she meant to me.  When I found these forums, the first thing I did was look through the reconnection posts to see if she and Kal were around, and when I saw that they were, I was thrilled.  I... I intended to play with her and Kal, but I just never got around to it.  I thought they'd always be there.  I thought she'd always be there.

There's a gaping hole inside me right now.  I've been crying since I read the announcement.  The world feels emptier without her, even though we weren't as close as some of you were with her.  I miss her.  I wanted to talk to her, to catch up with her, one more time, but I'm not sad because I didn't have a chance for closure.  I'm sad because my hero is gone.  But I'm looking around, reminding myself of everything I've done since we met, everything I did because she inspired me to do and be more, and I remind myself that Rose... Rose was strong, so I'll be strong, too.  And I hope I can do it half as well as she did.

Thank you for sharing this very personal, very touching, very inspiring message.

Thank you, too, for reminding us that the measure of a life is in its impact on others. 

God bless you. And God bless Rose, her family, and those who knew her. 

• Like 4

Looking for SFMA content over multiple arcs? Search for the following arcs under "cranebump."

Part I: Ordinary People=Standard Operating Procedure, Hope and Bullets, The Last Full Measure: Investigation of a series of thefts leads you deep into a vengeful plot that threatens all of Paragon City. Will you and Kings Row's "ordinary" heroes be able to stop it?

Part II: The Omnibus Initiative=Friends & Lovers, Data Games, The Omnibus Project: A missing person investigation leads you into a multi-layered conspiracy, revealing an insidious organization (and a window into what happened during the "7-year gap" of missing Paragon history).

Part III: Time's Tender Traps=Full Circle, Much Madness, Liberation Game: It's a race against "time" to prevent the recently discovered Mobius Strip from being weaponized. But are Wards Prime (and you) already too late? (NOTE: In a bit of collaboration, this arc features a crossover character from Darmian's Dark Deeds mega-tale, which has its own time-related elements [and which you should go play...now...I'll wait).:-)

Part IV: Penumbra=Dempsey’s Hard 8, A Flag and Sign, Auguries of Fate and Time (testing):  Palliderium has weaponized the Mobius Strip, removing all of Arachnos from the current time stream.  But considering that this group’s calculating, emotionally wounded “Pale Queen” can now order the removal of almost anyone at will, is this little more than a devil's bargain? Has the world traded Lord Recluse for something worse?

My condolences for the loss and my warmest wishes for her family and friends

• Like 1

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

6 hours ago, Luminara said:

I couldn't agree with you more. We met through Sisterhood and I am so blessed that we did. The night of her first transplant I was up all night giving updates in game as @Kalkin gave them. We had already become close friends. we would joke we were "pain buddies" as I have a nerve disorder that cause chronic pain that is incurable and can be very devastating much like Cystic Fibrosis that she battled with. She was heading to Arkansas to be one of my "best people" at the family and friends wedding ceremony @Daisy Diesel and I planned. She instead had to be admitted to the hospital with fever. The day of our ceremony she wore the dress she had planned on wearing at the ceremony and told staff she was suppose to be at a wedding dang it.  We streamed the ceremony for her and Kal specifically. It wasn't long after that hospitalization she went back on the transplant list. She had periods where she would go radio silent on us. We always knew that meant she wasn't feeling well and she was worried about things with her lungs. It has been a long time since we have grown to love @RoseVortexand @Kalkin and their children like family. I'm so grateful she got to see her children finish high school, one finish college and the youngest grow in ways I know has made @RoseVortexso so proud. I so understand the hole and the crying. @LuminaraI would say she isn't gone at all. We keep her alive by allowing the example she set for all of us to grow and be shared with others.  Please reach out if you need to talk. *HUGS*

Frazier

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have never heard of Rose before, but I  have heard of her now.  Amazing.  May we all meet in the City to Come.

Edited by Sailboat
  • Like 3

I never knew this person, but they sound like an incredible indvidual. My condolences to all their loved ones. Rest in Peace Rose.

/e Holdtorch

Edited by Kriiden
  • Like 1

I'm so sorry for your loss.  She was clearly an amazing person who brought a great deal of joy and inspiration to everyone that knew her.  

• Like 1

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Much love, everyone. ❤️

• Like 1

I teamed a few times with her.   Always a delight to have on a team.   I knew I hadn't seen her in game in a while.  My condolences to her family and friends.

• Like 1