UtRR's #5: Talos Vice! (by @PW)

cranebump

Hey, all. After a lengthy hiatus, here is our first review of 2021. In the tradition of throwback arcs (like the James Bond one I thoroughly enjoyed), we now hop to the 80s with:

n0mlaIZ97zBHaL9Fk_XLlQ5sM-_5pUwXwRwegLP3cMnO_-fny22PMK-bp2umSvDrce0UoItX5dyJWb9Z_zTJ6qhlBxDPpnvRIs1K0Tkkj-sMj-KyDON87NWzc28gnQBcKpzkiVMi

Why I picked it: The theme. Never a Miami Vice fan, but I dig the idea

What I ran it with: Nightsickle

Powersets and such: Dark/Ice Scrapper, L13 (these are powersets I’ve never used; the toon is literally 2 days old)

NOTE: 41 reviews of this arc, with 5 Star rating. Why haven’t I heard of it? 

Opening:

fBfggoQ6sKxznv5T1gZbrf7tPtH4tMCIvDDIjHDkcP7pYXTeKKG4c8e6hroR0a7N0nE9_BevIZX9TW7u7vhm3EWvGZqk_0cTYQn4wbF1nO9J_bOiTkKPzinOE89QVU33D-83dHoj

Well the attire’s certainly appropriate. And it’s our seldom-visited buddy from Talos. 

Okay, first off, as someone who writes plays as a sidelight (and has dabbled with screenplays), I **love** this:

Uh-AfKHQg9B6sh24KQMfhNF392U3rHYpDTpIlCQpMYVRLwb8aVK1GmjPQxRIaL4qBz4RV3RcpHx4KnGVEwvCWrwOJpgWZkvALoKSmYAbNyUFCovY8SVSldQ_EUbe5W4DaAqGyLJL

Get in the Ferrari? Dude, it’s MY car! (it’s not?...okay…[sniff])

First mish is about a drug bust (what? shocking…):-) 

I’m running at L13 on a 12-20 mish range, with SO’s slotted, so we’ll see how this goes.

Several things to do right off:

hR_nSgX6nnY1xfwfnueLxCtMGVGnyGcKzXbdScmwJJcitHVE9grnPc6EGISAKCXG-KESBvviH3sfqZWQWtb89ZdZEDkpT3OZ3WMQpI7xpHP4BT9BtCt2vdXvUse7ELf3IYg4KnWs

Actually 6, but I rescued one before I screen capped here.

FPtX8ytS0NZGZFhcQ_KFR_9Q50lOzSz08MtNZ-j1YccN7l-K9tkuiy5gaJ2U82vSHqJo4cyBGtpB5E4afmlJPNWO2E9_sPTAbU3rlAKiUyxBt1MX_yQvojtMYht_-CRhJkFQLk4z

Let’s hope I don’t do a lot of this…

Bassins gets a close up.

3-LwEVxEhiQ8vTuthMhshK3Apccn1YgaAnZBvUtUWf3Ujb7uLgUjcWfWH0SmrG1h0MNDQ_aBhRA8Ht2wiBDbdbmcLzwlrzK5MQul4CHH6Zd-s-TRNLPLTyjRi7_W4yiH6gteW2tR

I smell a rat...oh, wait, that’s just me. Sorry...Creole lunch...

So, I keep hearing all this gunfire. Come around the corner to see:

E99w6tD-OQ-JopOS-CUKNBJzqOPcuFAtxN0-_b4C9Rt1X_Q1uolglAP8DfPzKRv0PJT2Cd4hNW3nuzKMqM-rXPbxeBQ00Wn8LFuJ74H8S-YqwgmI3Qf4iwJT-epaGJMKGIB6yGBE

Dude, you are a baaaaad shot…

Minor Issue: Clues are not numbered. Some things I discovered appear higher on the clues list. I don’t mind the scrolling back, but I have to briefly scan each one to see what’s new and what’s not. I think numbering would help here.

We take on el boss-o

Qhkb7QkyMY0OU-E7VPMgw2K7ZCkdGvcw0FvvPyV_0kNHHfGl97e43hnpZ4-52TytP7mQdopHw5xl97akJK1NqPfVmoaSRVqBljAxer_g69rd2NVXdx7mVSeNu5f5hpmXKdg5y6Cj

Maybe, Grog, but it certainly doesn’t help your fashion sense.

Mish done. We get a “cut scene” interview with Gorgs (in the form of a mish end clue box). Grog points us to bigger fish. Or maybe smellier. I mean...he’s pretty big…

This in the end mish box: e0a590NGxJcQApCp8OYS462oEdSeBA63vs0xS5pZtP37f5qJw1_ZIf1IMudetH43g8tyW5Av2ztKrrutmNnYKsX9infdEnIK96ZdDC2f4_7pvTwGAiIMqIPIOdQDj9rn0cZ_2asL

Hmmm...which 80s tune is mournful...I’m going with Roxette’s “Must’ve Been Love,” ‘cause Croq and I, we have a thing...it’s all about the car, you realize...

Mish 2

We’re pointed toward something called the Sindicators. I assume they’re bad guys, because, well, SIN. Of course, maybe they mean “sin” as in “without” (so, they DON’T speak Spanish? okay…)

SOOOOO wrong. Sindicators is a night club. Well...seems classy, right?

Sez we are greeted by “surly glares” (which is now my next toon name…[and don’t call me Shirley]).

w-EkgcYRb9ANZVehVppiELzXlLeiXFcuFeHgpIGB_plKY6qOhWnCneXWreoXO1Nbh-xKuAGfEO-wT3o1xZRuFn2OF8KYBM4hh8CYV5yzFmXq00zr67UxdYMF-cIHhUi0n-l01Tl-

Still with the aiming issues, I see…

RjwnjG-ZNQdA5No9WEnMjupqXGy9MpDY-bprCPFHkcm09xbHx1xaD2UVrkQ8bvK6c8YoWk2iLfyNv-Zyz3_pxIJ6Y5CXQ6cBYsDgPg6jc_YcmxeQ3FH5ViMl7YoD-WWiNgpAAZ6s

Hmmm...the Warriors are here. And they’ve been trained by Van Damme.

Mobs begin to diversify, with a mix of Hellions, Outcasts, Warriors. Evidently the Family is here, too, according to the molecular biology major standing...er, hopping next to us here:

Jee1IFvb550OLg4JoKymu-FQTR-VsaF4UowPHZQBxUsImywLn3YXj1zPTWh-Lrqq_J5F3nfizzSEOJT2w1xqPXvOTEh0-CxPP0kUnZYf-xasoGWQPYjaByF6MrVdMVd9d9yAEWW1

Is this really the ONLY way you can pay for college, Libby?

Mish goes off without a hitch. Croq strangely regains his aim when I’m around.

Ur_4-lDOOyluBhLQjOwncvH7nmiFPTP5xs9D4xvQnZ0o3L9bof_JrKq8uMPVi-uEpjRFnw_0XATjkiRK5h0WseGuWCmSmQzpYzNgnuZvOr-T7sVSpUSH1UyUKmN0s1lAXQudVNOC

Cue “Every Breath You Take.”

So, we locate our rat in mish. Croq is justifiably upset:

itCi7vJDuB2Y1DnDxoTsH-1u113X3srYoFIJTFbfCBmMFCHzLFoOy8BAA2TNLkAJ4wR2MDBaHNQhHdl7Pcp3KYgqmYYIzXaRdohY7dV7UwV4bV0BgB74xNSiV2fVEAiNIPW3LRyJ

Yeah! Fricker! A Statesman doll! HOW COULD YOU! (nice nugget here…)

Mish 3

Mission entry accept is “You can trust me.” Which is me talking to Croquette. In quotations. So can he **really** trust me? I mean, I didn’t get a doll.:-)

7AIQU1Y136i76FpDGw3lC0QBVZfn_tQxYJVzAA__ig1yfv2qrtNoc1sYYV0MCxBFFP32EHwQcgCZYeg94XGgZahXGGpaBM-G9nqtK6MOOx1tky2zGBNignyDCjMNnIcLfqRkiNf8

Sigh…

More fashion nightmares. And I took down blue. Croq is evidently checking his sight for something.

PZTlFYCaRcQ8V537s-S0k0a1Ijyf5-nYRGzS23Hk_j-kj8hiXVTt8U3z5JqfpefdvzWPpIug6SQkZGB45We5um2e2cmuvM2lnWXO4iOXl1DcYXosSBGCcHJ7Z-SpZoB4Y6oW2cVV

Die you pastel patsy!

Stopped the shipment. Pummeled the boss. Looks like Croq gives up shooting and just jams the whole pistol through the pets chest:

KdgMQPC2vJlP61Pri-ovwZEvDb_fgm0DDNMWBMtMXeAyo8YL248cVqaDDmTf-5dTqR6QcgibtsiqMO8mt1POYZMt3URUe8EZGLY3Px3N072i7BVGhM8VSo8eDJywf75OmLNfMIQ_ 

Vexed? When did you go to Oxford?

NOTE: Nice little mish here. In you go, get dyne, grab Croq, then Cavs pops up back near entry of the Mercy dock. Fun and quick.

And that’s that! A quick, simple, 3-mish arc.

SUMMARY:

Positives:

• Unique presentation style (TV script).
  • Typical baddies, but customized to fit the “Vice” feel.
  • Player-friendly maps.
  • A Ferrari.

Tweaks:

• Doesn’t really need any. It’s straightforward. That said, there are a couple of mishes left to fiddle with, and when I hit the end it seemed awfully quick. Boss fight came with a single ambush, which you don’t have to clear. I’m not sure the final map (which I love) has room for it, but some patrols would spice that up a bit.
  • Might number the clues. Not a deal breaker, though, since most of them popped up where they needed to.
  • Might have the perps at least TRY to dodge Croquette's shots. You know...to make him feel better.:-)
  • From a character standpoint, I’d almost like to see Croq’s worst fears realized, like a major breach that reveals another traitor in the ranks. And maybe a tie in with whoever is receiving the shipment. In other words, a bigger, bigger fish to fry (or broil, or bake...personally, I prefer blackened…):-)

OVERALL: 4.5/5. It’s clean. Unique in presentation. No major issues with spawns. Very well done, honestly. I just felt the “rat in our midst” angle could’ve been further exploited. That said, it was fun. My lowbie toon handled everything easily. In fact, I’d wager that the arc can accommodate any of the AT’s easily. It’s got that flexibility. I enjoyed the mix of street gangs working with the Fam. Nice job.

Play this if: 

• You want a short, sweet AE arc to run.
  • You’re down with the 80s vibe.
  • You like neon and neon-inspired clothing.
  • You dream of riding shotgun with Croq down the Argo Highway, listening to Roxette and The Police.

Don’t play if:

• You’re looking for a deeper, more character-drive story.
  • You don’t like your character having lines in the script (looking at you, Kyksie):-)

COMING ATTRACTIONS: If you’re a Goldside fan, be sure to check out @darmian’s new stuff as it comes out. He’s a dedicated Praetorian, and knows his stuff! 

Happy Trails, Kemosabes. And, if you’re a Yank, stay warm.

Yours in vice (and, occasionally, virtue),

Crane

Edited by cranebump
  • Like 2

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.