Very Powerful Archetype Sets/Combos

Snarky

12 hours ago, Heraclea said:

Poison/Dark defender.  You won't get the kills.  You will just trivialize just about anything for your teammates.  And you will do so without the fussiness of Radiation and its anchors.  And it plays like a 'normal' character since just about everything is aimed at enemies.   The best utility/support character I have found. 

I like the idea behind this pairing. Would Poison/Rad also be a decent pairing being able to also get the achilles procs?

• Like 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

And as this thread attests they are many, many potent set pairs.  Currently I see lots about Shield/Dark tanks, way back it was Fire/Kins and Ill/Rad (and Fire or Ice paired to Nrg blappers).  Then Cold came on the scene leading to Cold/Sonic and Sonic/Cold (defender and corruptor) and replacing Rad with Cold (hence Ill/Cold).  

And that's just my short subjective listing.  It's also just looking at it from the solo point of view, powerful isn't  only with respect to solo stuff or you wouldn't end up with things like the FRads (arguably potent solo but verging on ridiculous synergy teamed) or the defender Empaths of Green Machine (not remotely potent solo but nearly unstoppable on teams of 3+ grouped.

And that doesn't mention Traps and Poison solo or teams of VEATs or I'm sure many others I'm forgetting or glossing over.  Or how the progression from SOs to IO sets to the latest Incarnate builds effects everything.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

I like the idea behind this pairing. Would Poison/Rad also be a decent pairing being able to also get the achilles procs?

Certainly would be worth a try.  You'll want to get the recharge up on the rad toggles to be able to use them often.  You'll be popular on Kahn runs.

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

15 minutes ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

Rad blast is phenomenal at proc damage. My rad/rad defender is a “barely any defense investment but instead 4-5 dmg/-res procs in every attack” setup. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

Certainly would be worth a try.  You'll want to get the recharge up on the rad toggles to be able to use them often.  You'll be popular on Kahn runs.

Rad Blast has toggles to worry about? 

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

I have run a Dark/Invul 50 Brute on live for a long time.  I have one here I ran for a month or two.  I have a Invul/Dark Tank i ran here for a month or two.  I almost never run Tanks for that long before moving on.  I feel Invul/Dark Tank is the strongest Tank in the game.  effortless melee control of all opponents.  however, a very high recharge Dark/Invul Brute is just sick strong.  I would still be on one as my main if I did not find the three aura toggles on my Dark/Dark Brute so satisfying.  Damage/Fear/Stun.  You do have to pump the heal more though lol.

Man, I just got my Invuln/SS to 50 and now you're making me want to roll a Invuln/DM 😂

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

WHY MUST YOU DO THIS TO ME DOOM.

Oh snap.  Here I am chuckling at you and I just realized it said "DM/Inv scrapper"...

...  WHY MUST YOU DO THIS TO US DOOM!?!?

lol  (runs off to make yet another alt, err, main)

• Haha 5

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

A couple of my outliers that I have found insanely fun and insanely durable:
Spines/Ice Scrapper (quickly replaced my spines/dark and even my spines/fire)

Shield/SM Tank (she has been one of my most played characters ever and played since issue 4)

Grav/Dark/Stone Troller (she is retired now but when Homecoming came online she was main for months)

and even though it has been mentioned:
Electric/Shield Stalker. . . I shelved every other stalker (all 12) after getting this girl to 50 and never take any of them out except for her

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

The challenge with these kinds of threads is context.

-what definition are we using for “powerful”

-solo or teamed?  PVE? PVP?  Pylons?  versus what kind of content?

-what’s your unique point of reference?  
-are we talking DPS or survivability or something balanced?

I’ve taken the various builds out of the pylon test threads and recreated them faithfully.  Against pylons they worked as advertised.  But in PVE with PUG teams against a variety of ordinary missions....they felt far less powerful.  OTOH I’ve had team-oriented AT’s who could solo GM’s and AV’s easily as long as I controlled the battlefield and didn’t have to deal with a teammate pulling way too much aggro at once.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 11:39 AM, TygerDarkstorm said:

I have a poison/rad that can tank numerous AVs. It works extremely well and you don't need many powers from the primary to still be super effective essentially you only need envenomed, weaken,  poison trap, and venomous gas. Maybe paralytic poison if you're going to proc it out. The other powers are skippable.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

I have a poison/rad that can tank numerous AVs. It works extremely well and you don't need many powers from the primary to still be super effective essentially you only need envenomed, weaken,  poison trap, and venomous gas. Maybe paralytic poison if you're going to proc it out. The other powers are skippable.

thats why i love my Ilusion / Poison Controller,

with a few Poison Picks hes ready to roll over all content.

Another vote for DM/SR Brute.

My Demon/Storm MM just tears through things with the philosophy of, "If you kill/control them fast enough you won't need heals."

Not exactly perfect synergy but a chaotic blast to play. Disclaimer: soloing more fun than on teams, imho.

• Like 1

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

Fire/Trick Arrow Corruptor.   Rain of Fire onto an Oil Slick is a pretty good move on its own, but then you throw in all the debuffs AND scourge?  And you'd still have Fireball, a full ST attack cycle, a PBAoE nuke, and an Incarnate nuke left in the tank?  Not only does the "fire/OSA" thing work well together, but almost everything takes place at range AND /TA isn't looking for a whole slew of slots, so you can concentrate on set bonuses out of the primary/pool powers.  It's just a really, really good pairing.

• Like 2

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

2 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Shield/EM Tank is the most ridiculous thing I've built so far.

I’ve heard you swear by this build! Seems fun. I’ve already run a Shield/Elec and a Shield/SS. This seems like a cool pair though. What do you love so much about it? 

2 hours ago, StriderIV said:

I’ve heard you swear by this build! Seems fun. I’ve already run a Shield/Elec and a Shield/SS. This seems like a cool pair though. What do you love so much about it? 

Massive ST damage output for AV fights and massive survivability for everything else.

• Like 1