Speaking of purples...

Aeroprism

12 hours ago, Captain_Paragon said:

Yes but if your lvl 50 and put it to -1/×8 that would make all enemies lvl49 or 50 and 49ers don't drop purples. Well that's what I heard anyway? Maybe HC changed that?

According to Paragonwiki: 'Any critter that is capable of dropping a level 50 IO has a chance to drop a "purple". This includes, but is not limited to, level 47 minions, level 46 lieutenants, and etcetera. Giant Monsters, Monsters, and Underlings will never drop a "purple".'

(I assume they mean 'level 50 IO recipe'.)

• Like 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

The RNG is a fickle mistress. I go on farming binges from time to time and they normally last a week at a time. Usually I'll get 1-2 a day between the farmer and the sitter. I have had as many as 9 drop in one day. I find that PVP recipes fall along the same lines. I can get 2 or 3 of those in a row and not see another one for days on end.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 4:36 PM, KauaiJim said:

I can say for a period of time I was thinking *something* other than RNG was affecting it because it seemed to vary so wildly and it seemed like drops would be better on certain days or times leading me to theorize all kinds of crazy stuff.  Silly, I know, but the drop rate swings in this game can be so 'streaky' that I just had to wonder.😁

Cognitive bias is a fascinating thing.  Cycles of feast and famine are exactly what you'd expect from a genuinely random distribution.  A steady and reliable pace for the drops would be something other than random. 

• Like 2
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I leveled up a new alt to 50 yesterday via farming. Between both accounts I got 6 purples. I was using an outdoor city map. For the first couple of hours I had a goose egg going. Then one map I got 3, 1 on my farmer and 2 on my toon I was leveling. The next clear I got 1 more. And then nothing for awhile. On my final run I got 2 more on the toon I was leveling. So 2 on my farmer and 4 on my new toon in total of it's time lvl 1-50. 2 apocs, 1 hecta, 1 Ragnarok, 1 unbreakable constraint, and a fortunata hypnosis to.round out the bunch.

Not too bad.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

According to Paragonwiki: 'Any critter that is capable of dropping a level 50 IO has a chance to drop a "purple". This includes, but is not limited to, level 47 minions, level 46 lieutenants, and etcetera. Giant Monsters, Monsters, and Underlings will never drop a "purple".'

(I assume they mean 'level 50 IO recipe'.)

Ah ok thanks its good to know. I always assumed that you had to be 50 to get a purple. Learn something new everyday! 

It's not like I shall be applying the tactic as I like inf but good to know

i havent been getting purples lately but i have gotten 3 PvP recipes over the last couple days.  but i also made a little over a billion just crafting junk recipes i bought and using merits i earned to get converters and change them to something decent.  bought about 15 winters and 12 purps with that.  and had a little left over lololol.  

21 hours ago, Heraclea said:

Cognitive bias is a fascinating thing.  Cycles of feast and famine are exactly what you'd expect from a genuinely random distribution.  A steady and reliable pace for the drops would be something other than random. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/18/2021 at 8:32 AM, roleki said:

I can't find the thread that discussed it, but shortly after I rolled my first farmer on HC, there was a thread wherein people talked about a mechanism that cinched off reward rolls on content that was repeated.  I can't recall the terminology, but the gist was, you got more purple drops after an update or after you do a mission or two between farms.  This seems to have borne out; my parked newbs get more purples than the farmer, and if I take my farmer to PI for a couple missions, they start getting purples more regularly.

Since I can't find the thread, I don't rule out the possibility that I am imagining all of this, but my experience with 60-odd farmed-up characters seems to bear this out.

I also can confirm an anecdotal experience like this, but also after having parked characters for a lengthy period of time for, say, a day job. 
Parked a character for a day job. Badge acquired, Log in, run mission, purple.  Three times. 

Didn't happen on the 4th and 5th, happened on the 6th. 

While I can't put my finger on it - 

The RNG is not quite R

It seems I roll over 95 WAY more often than 5% of the time.  And usually, it's several times in a row.

To give it credit, when my To Hit is at 85%, then it relaxes and rolls over 85 often.

I also noticed the Mobs don't have his issue.