Why Did I Never Try Claws Before?

Erratic1

I've wanted to roll a Claws character and pair it with Dark.  Have been leaning Tanker, not ruling out Scrapper or Brute, but I have not found a single example build anywhere on the internet which has made me nervous because I'm not a mids guru.

Anyone have an opinion on the pairing?  Seems like tons of soft control and low endurance Claws to offset Dark toggles would be a natural fit.  Am I missing something?

Dark is pretty great on a tanker IMO. I run a dark/staff tanker and love it. I also have a claws/dark scrapper but its still just mid lvl with no sets or anything. 

Dark is very END hungry though, and because claws attack chain is so fast, it feels like it is as well cause you're always attacking so be prepared to deal with that however you want. 

I just know that I haven't even really tried with my tanker and almost nothing in game touches him, can't wait to see hwo beastly he is when I actually put sets on him that make sense. What he has now is just random enhancements I stripped off unplayed characters and sent to him.

On 2/17/2021 at 7:56 AM, oldskool said:

I've always wanted to like Claws, but that animation for Follow-up just ruins my enjoyment.  It lacks the "punch" of all of the other attacks.  It is like you take a moment to just poke them but there is little force behind it.  Yet, the other attacks can feel so much more aggressive.  

Claws is just an amazingly great set, and I agree Follow-Up's animation is the weakest link, too.  Getting the Night Widow version would be great, but that animation is already used in Claws for Focus, so they'd have to change that animation, too, and I'm not sure there would be a better choice for that one, either.

Edited by Lazarillo

6 hours ago, Rokkeb said:

Dark is pretty great on a tanker IMO. I run a dark/staff tanker and love it. I also have a claws/dark scrapper but its still just mid lvl with no sets or anything. 

Dark is very END hungry though, and because claws attack chain is so fast, it feels like it is as well cause you're always attacking so be prepared to deal with that however you want. 

I just know that I haven't even really tried with my tanker and almost nothing in game touches him, can't wait to see hwo beastly he is when I actually put sets on him that make sense. What he has now is just random enhancements I stripped off unplayed characters and sent to him.

This is a common tip, but slotting just the Theft of Essence proc in Dark Regeneration turns that end hog endurance neutral at best and a bar refiller if used on a full spawn. It does not work that way for single target, but a Recovery Serum from the P2W vendor (super cheap and stacks to 50) takes care of business on that end.

On 2/18/2021 at 10:08 AM, Erratic1 said:

While hitting someone over the head with a club is inherently a risky thing, people do get hit over the head and walk away without serious injury, bullets and wing people and be aimed at less than critical areas (and we're heroes, so we have that skill), etc. It is hard to see how you "pull your punch" with a claw. Either the pointy ends impale or they don't. You're not really slapping people unconscious with claws like you can with the flat/hilt of a blade.

If your point here is to object there are other deadly powers people have and that it is unreasonable to single Claws out for going too far, I will note its a subjective thing and I was speaking on my own behalf, not making a flat declaration that everybody else has to feel the way I do.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OnlyAFleshWound

8 hours ago, Lazarillo said:

Claws is just an amazingly great set, and I agree Follow-Up's animation is the weakest link, too.  Getting the Night Widow version would be great, but that animation is already used in Claws for Focus, so they'd have to change that animation, too, and I'm not sure there would be a better choice for that one, either.

I hate the double punch of the slash animation too though.  

While speaking of awesome claw animations and Night Widows, I want to point out the Lunge animation

Edited by Haijinx

On 2/18/2021 at 9:08 AM, Bill Z Bubba said:

I stand by earlier statements. I kill everyone I defeat. It's not my fault that the medic porters keep bringing them back to life.

'murder for freedom' 'hunting and killings a game'

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 2/18/2021 at 9:08 AM, Erratic1 said:

While hitting someone over the head with a club is inherently a risky thing, people do get hit over the head and walk away without serious injury, bullets and wing people and be aimed at less than critical areas (and we're heroes, so we have that skill), etc. It is hard to see how you "pull your punch" with a claw. Either the pointy ends impale or they don't. You're not really slapping people unconscious with claws like you can with the flat/hilt of a blade.

If your point here is to object there are other deadly powers people have and that it is unreasonable to single Claws out for going too far, I will note its a subjective thing and I was speaking on my own behalf, not making a flat declaration that everybody else has to feel the way I do.

For weapon sets, I tend to take the magic origin and make the weapons magical that don't actually do physical damage unless I want them to.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Farmer Johnson said:

I've wanted to roll a Claws character and pair it with Dark.  Have been leaning Tanker, not ruling out Scrapper or Brute, but I have not found a single example build anywhere on the internet which has made me nervous because I'm not a mids guru.

Anyone have an opinion on the pairing?  Seems like tons of soft control and low endurance Claws to offset Dark toggles would be a natural fit.  Am I missing something?

My vote is tank.

On 2/18/2021 at 8:08 AM, Erratic1 said:

Battle Axe has an attack called Beheader.  Mace and Axe both wield a shovel; with Mace you hit with the flat side and with Axe you wield it flat to hit with the edge of the blade.

Meanwhile Claws has two attacks where you don't even poke anyone, you just wave your claws and they fall over.  It's a fun set though!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, ninja surprise said:

Battle Axe has an attack called Beheader.  Mace and Axe both wield a shovel; with Mace you hit with the flat side and with Axe you wield it flat to hit with the edge of the blade.

Meanwhile Claws has two attacks where you don't even poke anyone, you just wave your claws and they fall over.  It's a fun set though!

I've never used axe. 😛

And I note in my character with Mace that he has to restrain himself (against the cursed mace's desires).

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 5:53 AM, Rokkeb said:

When I was a kid I read Spawn and The Darkness... comics code didn't really apply to those books. 🙂

Yep. I understand.

Back in the day ..  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuvembie -

"Under the Comics Code Authority, comic books in late twentieth century United States operated under many restrictions, mostly aimed at preventing horror elements from being used. This code became more lenient in 1971 but still prevented the use of certain terms such as "zombie", because they lacked the literary background of creatures such as vampires and werewolves, although not the use of zombies or zombie-like creatures. In order to circumvent this, Marvel Comics used the term "zuvembie" in place of "zombie" in their comics.

In 1989 the Code was changed again, permitting the word "zombie", and Marvel retired the term "zuvembie".[3][4]"

Doesn't seem like all that long ago to me, but "I'm older than the hills and younger than the mountains"(tm)

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.