At the risk of sounding sappy....

Hamstrdam

This is gonna sound sappy, I know, but I just wanted again to say a huge thank you to the Homecoming team for making it possible to play our game again.  The work the team does to update and build onto the game, at no charge to the players, is deeply appreciated.  Here in RL we've been locked down since the second week in November and I honestly believe that without being able to escape to Paragon City I'd be totally insane by now.  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Hear, hear! 

And it is not sappy.  A heart of gratitude is a virtue.

Actually, I would love to contribute to the server upkeep, but the donation window is open for so short of time, and often when I am not on, that I never have the chance.  My thanks to those who are lucky enough to contribute in that short window.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Agreed.  I called in sick last Thursday and was told I was "out for Covid related symptoms" for at least a week and a half.  Fine.  i havent had a vacation in two and a half years.  Holed up in my room (with my home gym) playing this game, and finally started working on my writing again.

I am an introvert.  This game gives me 'just enough' social contact.  While allowing me to destroy endless mobs for fun and profit.  I do not need to sell you guys on all this game has.  

I do want to shout out to the Homecoming Devs for not only setting this up and running it.  Which is AWESOME!  But doing it in a very "true to original vision" style that does not radically alter stuff in a reactionary way.  There are some wise minds looking at things before they are implemented.  So, doing this for the community is AWESOME.  Doing it so well is SPECTACULAR!!!

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

I am an introvert.  This game gives me 'just enough' social contact.  While allowing me to destroy endless mobs for fun and profit.  I do not need to sell you guys on all this game has.  

I do want to shout out to the Homecoming Devs for not only setting this up and running it.  Which is AWESOME!  But doing it in a very "true to original vision" style that does not radically alter stuff in a reactionary way.  There are some wise minds looking at things before they are implemented.  So, doing this for the community is AWESOME.  Doing it so well is SPECTACULAR!!!

I, too am an introvert. On one hand, it's helped me avoid Covid-19. On the other hand, it would've led me to testing positive for another disease; Boredom and depression. At least, if it were not for Homecoming. I don't know what I would've done if I had to pronounce CoH officially dead.

• Like 4

Good on you!
And good on the Devs!

I'd argue, though, that they are not so much true to the Original VisionTM as they are true to the spirit of the Superheroic mode.

Which is ("Comtrya!") better!

• Like 7

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

And it goes beyond a covid lockdown.

This is reuniting friends separated by time (and miles). And making new ones.

• Like 6

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

Personally I've reconnected with a few old friends who I haven't spoken to in a while, nothing wrong with that, life just takes you to different places, but now we have a regular day on here to meet up and chat and do a few missions, explore random new stuff in the AE and then laugh like maniacs when something crazy wipes us.

Not to mention all the NEW people I've met on here who are simply great.

• Like 3

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

There are, quite simply, very few things that have given me more joy, while simultaneously relieving that old heartache of loss, than the return of this game.

• Like 8

UPDATED: v4.10 Technical Guide (27p7)... 158 pages of complete, comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

I've had a few arguments with folk on here about stuff in the game, blah blah, but isn't it great that we're actually back and even able to do that?

• Like 4

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

17 hours ago, Hamstrdam said:

This is gonna sound sappy, I know, but I just wanted again to say a huge thank you to the Homecoming team for making it possible to play our game again.  The work the team does to update and build onto the game, at no charge to the players, is deeply appreciated.  Here in RL we've been locked down since the second week in November and I honestly believe that without being able to escape to Paragon City I'd be totally insane by now.  

Sappy?  My dude, when I first logged back into this May 2019, I teared up.  Loaded into AP, heard that music and just....sat there and looked around.  Now if they could bring back Marvel Heroes Online next....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JnEricsonx said:

Sappy?  My dude, when I first logged back into this May 2019, I teared up.  Loaded into AP, heard that music and just....sat there and looked around.  Now if they could bring back Marvel Heroes Online next....

Oh, I'm right with you there!  I made my account and logged in as soon as I heard about the rebirth (ironically, just before Easter, 2019).  Almost cried when I defeated my first prisoner in Outbreak, by the time I saw Miss Liberty there was no holding back the tears.  This "dudette" was home!   

I've gone back to other games I've played, thinking I'd like to see this or that again, but it was never the same feeling as CoX.  More of a "okay, seen it, that's enough, goodbye".  This is different. I used to even log into that Paragon Chat program where you could visit Atlas Park, couldn't do anything but sit and talk to other players who happened to be there.  The fact that we have it back still amazes me. And during these hard times, it's a life saver.  I'm pretty shy in the real world so this provides me enough social contact in what is still an extremely safe on-line environment, plus I get to release my frustrations by beating up a Carnie or two.  But you all know what I'm talking about, this is just preaching to the choir.  

It's so good to be home.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hamstrdam said:

Oh, I'm right with you there!  I made my account and logged in as soon as I heard about the rebirth (ironically, just before Easter, 2019).  Almost cried when I defeated my first prisoner in Outbreak, by the time I saw Miss Liberty there was no holding back the tears.  This "dudette" was home!   

I've gone back to other games I've played, thinking I'd like to see this or that again, but it was never the same feeling as CoX.  More of a "okay, seen it, that's enough, goodbye".  This is different. I used to even log into that Paragon Chat program where you could visit Atlas Park, couldn't do anything but sit and talk to other players who happened to be there.  The fact that we have it back still amazes me. And during these hard times, it's a life saver.  I'm pretty shy in the real world so this provides me enough social contact in what is still an extremely safe on-line environment, plus I get to release my frustrations by beating up a Carnie or two.  But you all know what I'm talking about, this is just preaching to the choir.  

It's so good to be home.

I've been thinking about this for much of the last year.

No secret, I sympathized with the "secret server" project.  Still do.

HOWEVER, given the events of the last year, undesirable consequences or no, I'm actually glad that CoH is back and publicly available to people (and for dev groups to wrench on for their own flavors).

It's given so many people something to do, other than sit around, watch the news and just be angry.  That's worth more money than I care to count (and I LIKE counting money).

And the sheer joy it has brought people is worth more than any amount of money.

• Like 4

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

I would like to add my appreciation for all that the team has done to bring this game back. I was crushed when they shut this game down, I had put in years of my life to this game. I don't think words could express how happy I am to have this game back again. 

• Like 2

On 2/18/2021 at 2:15 PM, DoctorDitko said:

Good on you!
And good on the Devs!

I'd argue, though, that they are not so much true to the Original VisionTM as they are true to the spirit of the Superheroic mode.

Which is ("Comtrya!") better!

Besides Rebirth, HC is probably as close to the original vision as you're going to get.

• Like 1