Blue blockers: any recommendations?

Techwright

Anyone use blue blocker glasses while playing CoH?  I have good eyesight, and want to keep it that way, but work and play keeps me in front of the screens constantly.

Any suggestions on a good pair to acquire, or a bad brand to avoid?  I'd prefer something a tad stylish, and I don't think HRG look good on me (horn-rimmed glasses). Unfortunately they seem to be the dominant model.  I am also preferring a clear lense to an amber one.

• Like 1

I was just reading an article in the NYT that was questioning the scientific value of blue light glasses:  https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/18/style/blue-light-glasses.html?searchResultPosition=4

And to hedge their bets, they also have an article on the best blue light glasses:  https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-blue-light-blocking-glasses/?searchResultPosition=2

• Thanks 1

Who run Bartertown?

I bought a pair of prescription glasses with special blu-block lenses.

Didn't much help with eyestrain, because they scratched like crazy. (Apparently just by brownian motion of air molecules.)

There's a guy I like to watch on youtube who reviewed a similar pair:

An ophthalmologist friend later said to stick with the tinted lenses if you really want to avoid blue light. And he agreed with Doctor Xenosone that red works better than amber...

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

I have to wear prescription lenses, so my view is a bit different (haha), but I rather like all my glasses I've gotten from here: https://www.eyebuydirect.com/

I have the transitions lenses which come with built-in bluelight protection, and are always at some variation of tint, which I have found I really enjoy. I have sensitive eyes and I have noticed my eye strain as a whole has gone down since using these lenses.

Also, most tech these days has blue-light filtering abilities on it which will turn the screens more of a reddish shade to help combat eye strain.

• Like 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

54 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I miss my 30 year old eyeballs.

It's my 30 year old knees I really miss.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

It's my 30-year-old everything that I miss.  😏

6 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I was just reading an article in the NYT that was questioning the scientific value of blue light glasses:  https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/18/style/blue-light-glasses.html?searchResultPosition=4

And to hedge their bets, they also have an article on the best blue light glasses:  https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-blue-light-blocking-glasses/?searchResultPosition=2

Thank you for that!  I'll dig into it.

6 hours ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

Also, most tech these days has blue-light filtering abilities on it which will turn the screens more of a reddish shade to help combat eye strain.

An excellent point, and I'd forgotten to take into account that I'd recently replaced my 12-year-old monitor.  So this new one may already have some protection.

Edited by Techwright
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Blue light is either pseudoscientific nonsense (or at least greatly exaggerated)... or a leftover bit of Heinlein.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

I have lenses from Zeiss that are made to block computer light. They work amazingly.

Yesterday I was at the beach (35 degrees!), and the sky was really vibrant shades of blue I had never seen before! I took off the glasses, and it was standard powder blue all the way. It was like being on an alien planet! I wish I had taken a pic, it was the coolest experience ever. The sun was behind me, so that didnt affect me.  

edit: to clarify mine are prescription bifocal transition whateverwhatnot lenses

Edited by Hew
  • Like 1

There is nothing new or magical about 'blue blockers,' as anyone who's owned a good pair of polarized sunglasses can attest.

Just one example: I remember standing on a balcony overlooking a suburban city scape with a white-haze sky. My kids were passing around my polarized sunglasses and marveling how a whole forest of white radio towers popped out of invisibility while wearing them.

There's this -><- much science in the whole computer light/blue light thing; yes, under lab conditions, a lot of bright light (which tends blue) will stimulate the brain and make winding down to sleep an issue. (Big news there: the light on will keep you awake!) If it bothers you, adjust your screen to a redder setting or switch on "night" mode, don't go spend a fortune on magic glasses, be they rose-tinted or otherwise.

• Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

On 2/19/2021 at 11:55 AM, DoctorDitko said:

I bought a pair of prescription glasses with special blu-block lenses.

I think the technology is improving over time.

I have a couple of pairs from Costo

https://www.costco.com/optical.html#blue-treatment

That seem to serve me well at work.

They don't get all scratched up, but I don't have a large pack of dogs.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:24 AM, Techwright said:

Any suggestions on a good pair to acquire

I have prescription lenses, so it doesn't look like you are going for that.

If so, look at my comment above.

I have also started taking Lutien which has helped with my eye strain at work.

I haven't tried Zeaxanthin.

Honestly, eating more fresh carrots on a regular basis is supposed to help.

Suggestion to put your Windows 10 computer in night mode is a good one.

I generally don't do that, but I set it to dark mode (default is light mode) - to set this go into options and type dark in the search.

Putting lower wattage light bulbs helps me as well, but my eyes are light sensitive.

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

A lot of people who went to LED bulbs got early models, which were almost wholly "cool white" or even "full spectrum"/"daylight" - rather high color temperature, better suited to kitchens, bathrooms and work areas than to bedrooms, living rooms and offices.

Replace your lighting with warmer tones - "warm white" and you'll likely find the rooms more comfortable and reduce daily eyestrain. It's not just a little bluish tint to your screens doing it.

• Like 1

I too miss my 30-yr old eyeballs. Last 5 years or so I've been prone to eye strain and light sensitivity. I've tried both tinted blue-blockers and a software called Iris. Both have noticeably helped my eye strain issues. Just.. don't use both at the same time. Second the advise on being aware of your room's general lighting. My eyeballs were bleeding when I was sitting next to a window during sunny days.

On 2/19/2021 at 12:55 PM, Gulbasaur said:

It's my 30 year old knees I really miss.

Lordy, life after 30 was like a BMW that ran out of warranty and expensive stuff started breaking every month, and now I'm a high mileage BMW nobody wants to work on.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 9:36 AM, Shenanigunner said:

There's this -><- much science in the whole computer light/blue light thing

Like a lot of things in tech or science that gets marketed for consumers, it's aimed at people who take them for their word and based on unverified, flawed, or purposefully vague studies. In short, they're marketing companies chasing the latest trend.

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:05 AM, Apparition said:

Just keep the Windows 10 night mode on permanently, which substantially cuts blue light.  See:

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/simple-questions-what-night-light-windows-10-and-how-use-it/

If you use Linux, get f.lux.

https://justgetflux.com/linux.html

I have f.lux for windows, though I usually have it not effect games.