Activating all Armor Toggles

arthurh35353

16 hours ago, The Chairman said:

Perhaps I am not understanding you correctly. Strawmen and Ad Hominem attacks are logical fallacies. That is to say, they are errors in logic that either undermine their own arguments or are irrelevant to the discussion at hand. If one were to have a conversation/discussion/debate with another person who relies on logical fallacies in support of their position, how can that conversation be fruitful when the other person isn't actually providing a coherent argument? It seems that pointing out errors in logic would be necessary in order for the conversation to progress.

As always, correcting error ought to be done charitably. That said, even if one were to do so uncharitably, the fact remains that logical fallacies are invalid arguments on their face.

It's not like the writing of laws that will be enforced by armed soldiers is on the line here. It's a forum discussing ideas on a pirated game that died. The stakes of the conversation are not such that correcting someone you feel is "wrong" are worth the unkindness often shown in doing so. On these forums, if it can't be done kindly, maybe it shouldn't be done at all, unless reinforcing the "letter of the law" internet incivility is acceptable or desired. If it's that important to fight logical fallacies, there are vastly more important arenas in our world in which to do so.

4 hours ago, Starhammer said:

It's not like the writing of laws that will be enforced by armed soldiers is on the line here. It's a forum discussing ideas on a pirated game that died. The stakes of the conversation are not such that correcting someone you feel is "wrong" are worth the unkindness often shown in doing so. On these forums, if it can't be done kindly, maybe it shouldn't be done at all, unless reinforcing the "letter of the law" internet incivility is acceptable or desired. If it's that important to fight logical fallacies, there are vastly more important arenas in our world in which to do so.

It’s good not to assign value to fallacious reasoning anywhere and everywhere sorry. 

6 hours ago, Starhammer said:

It's not like the writing of laws that will be enforced by armed soldiers is on the line here.

It's not a matter of how important the topic is, it's a matter of does your brain actually function.

If I say "The sky is blue", and you say "chewing gum is not blue, send me a pic of a single stick of gum that's blue." What you've done there is a straw-man argument, you've argued against something I never even said. If a person responds with nothing but straw-man arguments they're either disingenuous or insane. Either way I don't want to discuss anything with them and many other people will feel the same way.

By the way, before people get all offended, I wasn't insulting a particular person on this forum, I was simply explaining what a straw-man argument is.

• Like 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

I think some one originally called something I said a "strawman argument" which I'm not sure is even right, I'm pretty sure what I said was an analogy. But I'm not really to worried about it, I said my opinion and if people want to dismiss it as a "strawman argument" that's fine. It seems there are quite a few people that use that to dismiss what other people say on these forums.

15 minutes ago, Nerio72 said:

I think some one originally called something I said a "strawman argument" which I'm not sure is even right, I'm pretty sure what I said was an analogy. But I'm not really to worried about it, I said my opinion and if people want to dismiss it as a "strawman argument" that's fine. It seems there are quite a few people that use that to dismiss what other people say on these forums.

People in the human race point out fallacies to dismiss fallacious arguments. I promise you it’s nothing unique to this forum, really 🙂

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2021 at 9:36 PM, Outrider_01 said:

Why bother, they stay on when you log off.  After that, you probably don't turn them on that often per week anyway unless you are going to an all you can eat pavement buffet.

Because sometimes effects  in game take them down, and you have to get them all back on before you're effective in a fight that could be raging around you while you're trying to get your pants back up? When you have 4, 5, or more of these toggles, it's no trivial matter.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2021 at 12:26 PM, Shenanigunner said:

I gave you the solution you are looking for; it just isn't implemented in the way you are demanding. I tap U three times and all three Leadership toggles are up, about as fast as I could click one /alltogglesup macro. Too slow? Use the auto-fire bind set and you'll never have a toggle down nor need to click one again, along with all your click-fire powers.

It's not that straightforward or simple.  It takes time for each power to trigger, and CoH only lets you queue up one power while another is being activated.  So when you have 4+ of these defensive powers, sure you can have a macro that will toggle one power on each time you hit a key, but you still have to wait for each to activate before hitting that key again.  Meanwhile you're getting beat on with your defenses down.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tigraine said:

Because sometimes effects  in game take them down, and you have to get them all back on before you're effective in a fight that could be raging around you while you're trying to get your pants back up? When you have 4, 5, or more of these toggles, it's no trivial matter.

It's not that straightforward or simple.  It takes time for each power to trigger, and CoH only lets you queue up one power while another is being activated.  So when you have 4+ of these defensive powers, sure you can have a macro that will toggle one power on each time you hit a key, but you still have to wait for each to activate before hitting that key again.  Meanwhile you're getting beat on with your defenses down.

First of all, the only reason all your toggles would drop is if you are not managing your endurance. Mezzes will only drop your ~0-2 offensive toggles. So experience and enhancements and inspirations should help prevent this issue completely. 

Second of all, if you fail to keep toggles up through all that, what in the hell is wrong with running away for a quick break to retoggle, or even rest?

3 minutes ago, arcane said:

First of all, the only reason all your toggles would drop is if you are not managing your endurance. Mezzes will only drop your ~0-2 offensive toggles. So experience and enhancements and inspirations should help prevent this issue completely. 

Second of all, if you fail to keep toggles up through all that, what in the hell is wrong with running away for a quick break to retoggle, or even rest?

That's not the only case.  Dying and rezzing/being rezzed will do the same thing, and rezzing in the middle of a fight usually means you have to get right back into it.  There's not always a convenient/safe location or opportunity to run away.

2 minutes ago, Tigraine said:

and rezzing in the middle of a fight usually means you have to get right back into it. 

Not sure where this thinking comes from. Who says? Just... you know... get up and go away from the mob?

51 minutes ago, arcane said:

Not sure where this thinking comes from. Who says? Just... you know... get up and go away from the mob?

The mob that's attacking you, and likely using holds, etc., to try to slow you down, that you need your toggles online to avoid?