Jump to content

[How2] Basic Installation Guide [MacOS - Apple M1]


WanderingAries
 Share

Recommended Posts

Oh, important here

Thanks for your suggestion of Malwarebytes

We found a nasty culprit here 


This may be a big reason 


 

1 minute ago, WanderingAries said:

While I'm looking, what happens when you click on your desktop and then press? Shift + Command + A

I will try this now 

 

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 5.28.32 AM.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And read through here for the Finder problem

 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2809544

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired


Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation


Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers


Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired


Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation


Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers


Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Voltak said:

Shift Command then A brings us back to the Finder problem 

Apps folder opens and then immediately shuts down 

Yeah, that's the shortcut to open that folder BTW, so there's a Finder corruption somewhere

 

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired


Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation


Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers


Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Voltak said:

How do I do the following ??



Does removing the ~/library/preferences/com.apple.finder.plist help?

In my case, that means:  //Big Sur/library/preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

 

But I'm not seeing that file and because those are Old comments, it may be different on Big Sur

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired


Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation


Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers


Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still don't see the file myself, but...

Try this:

 

Delete Finder preferences using Finder
  1. Open a Finder window and navigate to Home > Library > Preferences folder.
  2. Trash the file com.apple.finder.plist.
  3. If you are using Mac OS X 10.3 or later, also trash the Finder Sidebar preferences file, com.apple.sidebarlists.plist.
  4. Perform one of the following tasks: ...
  5. Empty the Trash.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired


Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation


Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers


Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Voltak said:

Now, also needs to be kept in mind -  

I did not have this finder apps folder issue until I downloading things for CoH to run 

My computer and OS were working fine 


Something triggered 

Mind you, I've done it a billion more times than most on here I'm sure without issue, but it's "possible" that with all the drag/drop/move/delete/etc we've corrupted the file that handles the Finder's sorting for that folder.

 

What happens when you use Command + N (new finder window) and click on say the downloads folder on the left?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired


Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation


Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers


Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

I still don't see the file myself, but...

Try this:

 

Delete Finder preferences using Finder
  1. Open a Finder window and navigate to Home > Library > Preferences folder.
  2. Trash the file com.apple.finder.plist.
  3. If you are using Mac OS X 10.3 or later, also trash the Finder Sidebar preferences file, com.apple.sidebarlists.plist.
  4. Perform one of the following tasks: ...
  5. Empty the Trash.

I have no Library folder 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

Mind you, I've done it a billion more times than most on here I'm sure without issue, but it's "possible" that with all the drag/drop/move/delete/etc we've corrupted the file that handles the Finder's sorting for that folder.

 

What happens when you use Command + N (new finder window) and click on say the downloads folder on the left?

Download works just fine , perfect 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, I was able to do the following that "Might" help

  1. Drag the Applications folder out of the list on the left (when in a Finder window)
  2. Use Command + Up Arrow to goto the root folder
  3. Opened up Big Sur (in my case)
  4. Dragged the Applications folder Back onto the list on the left 

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired


Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation


Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers


Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Voltak said:

Download works just fine , perfect 

So then it's JUST that folder, that's progress

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired


Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation


Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers


Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Voltak said:

I have no Library folder 

You...have to...

In My case it's located inside of Big Sur

 

208305318_ScreenShot2021-03-12at3_53_21AM.png.3e699a3d9e1248f97bc947c383e20bf4.png

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired


Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation


Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers


Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

Also, I was able to do the following that "Might" help

  1. Drag the Applications folder out of the list on the left (when in a Finder window)
  2. Use Command + Up Arrow to goto the root folder
  3. Opened up Big Sur (in my case)
  4. Dragged the Applications folder Back onto the list on the left 

On number 1,  drag it out and to where. ?

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 5.54.03 AM.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Voltak said:

On number 1,  drag it out and to where. ?

 

Like this, into oblivion essentially (drag and hold outside the window)

1926378612_ScreenShot2021-03-12at5_54_03AM.thumb.png.42e298c9505c74307b569a4ebfb09212.png.338b309ae9f6aca732ff1c8f022a8025.png

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired


Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation


Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers


Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, WanderingAries said:

Like this, into oblivion essentially (drag and hold outside the window)

1926378612_ScreenShot2021-03-12at5_54_03AM.thumb.png.42e298c9505c74307b569a4ebfb09212.png.338b309ae9f6aca732ff1c8f022a8025.png

I drove it onto my desktop 

It was the only viable option for me

Oblivion, no pun intended, was not reachable , could not drag it out to nowhere, it would go right back in 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Voltak said:

How did you get to Big Sur so that I can go inside of it ?

If you have the settings like this where the HDD/SSD is on the desktop, then in My case I have a drive labeled "Big Sur" and when I open it, I get the above.

  1. 2029355983_ScreenShot2021-03-12at3_59_24AM.png.24542695f9c1200f24b6ba3d18685c49.png
  2. 1388212183_ScreenShot2021-03-12at3_59_31AM.png.36d45d3640b8851e0d4bd4f016915442.png

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired


Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation


Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers


Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Voltak said:

I drove it onto my desktop 

It was the only viable option for me

Oblivion, no pun intended, was not reachable , could not drag it out to nowhere, it would go right back in 

I mean, it's not like we aren't being Pun-ished as it is already...

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired


Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation


Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers


Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, WanderingAries said:

If you have the settings like this where the HDD/SSD is on the desktop, then in My case I have a drive labeled "Big Sur" and when I open it, I get the above.

  1. 2029355983_ScreenShot2021-03-12at3_59_24AM.png.24542695f9c1200f24b6ba3d18685c49.png
  2. 1388212183_ScreenShot2021-03-12at3_59_31AM.png.36d45d3640b8851e0d4bd4f016915442.png

I did select. Hard disks option 

I still don't know , nor see where Big Sur is now 

I need to know how you got there 


Screen shot of the screen you were JUST BEFORE you got into Big Sur please 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...