[How2] Basic Installation Guide [MacOS - Apple M1]

WanderingAries

2 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

I mean, it's not like we aren't being Pun-ished as it is already...

How much more Pun-ish until
 I Punt this this ?

The things I do for the love of this game 

The things you do 

Oh my , even Pun-itive 

Just now, Voltak said:

How much more Pun-ish until
 I Punt this this ?

The things I do for the love of this game 

The things you do 

Oh my , even Pun-itive 

And now my caffeine filled brain just quoted SW: "Jar-Jar, you are to be puuunished"

This is my Desktop to sort things out. Note, this MBP boots to Mojave, Catalina, and Big Sur, so there's one per Installation.

2119431849_ScreenShot2021-03-12at4_06_07AM.png.ab5750134a16a6c85aabde398c6950f4.png

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

This is the desktop on my Mini:

1325607638_ScreenShot2021-03-12at4_10_18AM.png.d1992befd590516418c24cbf71b553be.png

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Just now, Voltak said:

When I do Command + Up Arrow on the applications folder which is now on my desktop , it takes me to iCloud Drive 

Ok, well the Goal was to end up in the root of your drive, so double clicking on your desktop icon will suffice.

And now my caffeine filled brain just quoted SW: "Jar-Jar, you are to be puuunished"

This is my Desktop to sort things out. Note, this MBP boots to Mojave, Catalina, and Big Sur, so there's one per Installation.

2119431849_ScreenShot2021-03-12at4_06_07AM.png.ab5750134a16a6c85aabde398c6950f4.png

But I don't have Big Sur on my desktop 

How do I get to it , regardless of location on my computer ?  I see how you get to it, it's on your desktop , very easy , but me ... ugh... 

Ok, well the Goal was to end up in the root of your drive, so double clicking on your desktop icon will suffice.

Ok I did double click on the Applications folder once it is on my desktop 

I have two things showing 

Path of exile and Wineskine 

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 6.14.12 AM.png

Edited by Voltak

1 minute ago, Voltak said:

But I don't have Big Sur on my desktop 

How do I get to it , regardless of location on my computer ?  I see how you get to it, it's on your desktop , very easy , but me ... ugh... 

Big Sur is the custom name I changed my Drive to. Yours might say something like Macintosh HD. Sorry, I personalize a Ton.

image.png.bd22059b04d1971645b9eff39365afae.png

2 minutes ago, Voltak said:

Ok I did double click on the Applications folder once it is on my desktop 

I have two things showing 

Path of exile and Wineskine 

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 6.14.12 AM.png

Oh no, you can delete that shortcut. It won't help. We were just trying to take it out of the list on the left of the finder so that we could replace it (in the list on the left of the finder window) with the one at the root of your drive.

Wait, only do that if the folder has the arrow on it (IE: it's a shortcut)!!

Edited by WanderingAries

If they wouldn't have split the Applications folder into different places this would have been a thing.

5 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

Big Sur is the custom name I changed my Drive to. Yours might say something like Macintosh HD. Sorry, I personalize a Ton.

image.png.bd22059b04d1971645b9eff39365afae.png

OMG, my brother 

Yeah, that's a HUGE detail we left out

You nicknaming things 

LMAO 

Ok, so what you want me to do with the MAC HD ?

Just now, Voltak said:

OMG, my brother 

Yeah, that's a HUGE detail we left out

You nicknaming things 

LMAO 

Ok, so what you want me to do with the MAC HD ?

Sorry, I thought the path made that one obvious, BUT not everyone understands how these things path. >.<

I Wanted you to open that and drag the Applications folder to the left pane in the finder AFTER you Drag+Hold the existing one over an empty area.  😛.    So like, Click -> Drag Left like an inch and hold -> You see an "X" under the name indicating it will remove -> Let go and Poof, it's out of the list, but it Shouldn't create something on the desktop.

It probably helps to know that you can show the path bar at the bottom of every finder window like so (must have a window open). >.<

670804655_ScreenShot2021-03-12at4_29_45AM.png.2937b8491ff2149fb8a774836ebabfe6.png

4 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

Sorry, I thought the path made that one obvious, BUT not everyone understands how these things path. >.<

I Wanted you to open that and drag the Applications folder to the left pane in the finder AFTER you Drag+Hold the existing one over an empty area.  😛.    So like, Click -> Drag Left like an inch and hold -> You see an "X" under the name indicating it will remove -> Let go and Poof, it's out of the list, but it Shouldn't create something on the desktop.

How about just reinstalling Big Sur ?

How about just reinstalling Big Sur ?

So....I did that on the M1 yesterday While we were doing things and it got messy because of How the M1 works.

Just now, Voltak said:

At this point 

I am more worried about causing more damage 

I am not sure we know exactly what the problem is so we don't know exactly what to do to get a solution 

You feel me ?

All we need to do is wipe the Finder preference file for that folder to fix the Auto-close. Dragging the folder from the root to the list on the left creates a new entry that should fix the corruption. But, it wouldn't hurt to make Apple do some work too. They'll help even without Apple Care most the time TBH. They just won't always cover problems on 5-10 y/o Macs.

Ok, so... talk to an Apple technician to get the problem solved 

Get some rest , my brother , or go to whatever it is you have to do 

I am more grateful than my words can state for your help and time 

I will certainly use GO Fund me 

I really want COH to work on my Mac 

I have no idea why you can run it but I cannot. 

My computer ... I bought and I got in January 

It's sooo new still 

Ok, so... talk to an Apple technician to get the problem solved 

Get some rest , my brother , or go to whatever it is you have to do 

I am more grateful than my words can state for your help and time 

I will certainly use GO Fund me 

I really want COH to work on my Mac 

I have no idea why you can run it but I cannot. 

My computer ... I bought and I got in January 

It's sooo new still 

Oh yeah, help out Manga for sure (knows way more than me I'm sure about Mac overall, but doesn't have an M1 it seems). "I" am lucky enough to still have normal income.

If you know how to do it, it wouldn't hurt to run "First Aid" on the drive using the "Disk Utility" app. But you can let Apple do that if they remote in.

I'm still gonna poke for a bit and probably post what I find...TTFN

Confirming that the .privatewine folder is created the Moment the Launch CoH.app is first run (activating Wine installer). This is the location that the Wine will aim at for the purposes of the game to function correctly.

10 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

If you know how to do it, it wouldn't hurt to run "First Aid" on the drive using the "Disk Utility" app. But you can let Apple do that if they remote in.

I reinstalled Big Sur

Finder is working perfect now 

I am going to try to reinstall again