Sign in to follow this  
WanderingAries

[How2] Basic Installation Guide [MacOS, M1 Based Hardware]

Updated: 02-21-2021 @ 7:45p EST

Before I start ANYTHING, I need to thank @cheeseninja for the crucial direction on this as the VM based solution wasn't going so well performance wise.

Tested on my Base Model Mac Mini M1 with all Game GFX settings to ULTRA! Not smooth as butter that way, but turning down to what a sane person would isn't a bad thing. 😛

Spoiler

Notes:

• Rosetta 2 will need to be installed if not already, Type the following into the Terminal and Press the "Enter" key to install it manually
    • softwareupdate --install-rosetta
  • When trying to copy/paste while in the Launcher's settings, use the standard Windows key combos, not the MacOS translated key combos
    • IE: To copy you have to use Control+C not Command+C

Step 1: Install Homecoming Launcher

Spoiler

Follow the existing MacOS installation guide and pay attention to the notes farther in the thread about Big Sur prompts. See below for M1 specific "First Launch" quirks.

Step 2: First Launch M1 Quirks

Spoiler

The M1 platform introduced a few quirks that relate to the software you had to install and how it interacts with the OS. It may Look like it didn't work, but short of a 3rd party app or configuration issue causing trouble, it should be setup at this point to run the game.

1. When first running the Launcher, it likes to hide itself off the edge of the upper right part of the screen. It seems to persist each time I ran it, so you may have to do this Every time you play until a solution is found.
    • 936959418_DragWIndow.png.b493b27b926bbf53aa3ad7657afc9afd.png
  2. Click and Drag the launcher to the middle of the screen so that you can better interact with it
    • Center.thumb.png.415f325067ef66c0d5cd0fa6663e6468.png
  3. The thing that will trip you the most is likely the next part, after you Click the "Play" button
    • 430549428_GameMini.png.81a357f70521dafc9fae94789b553eda.png
  4. As you see, the game will launch and show up as simply the upper left most part of a window, visible only by the window controls
  5. Instinctively, you'll want to Grab the corner of the window or Press the Green "Maximize" button to expand it only to find a completely blank window.
    • 1706327612_GameBlank.png.8f7a9b1c43869248f2b916620c572c97.png
  6. This will further frustrate you because the window will then shrink back down as it started while teasing you with the initial game music
  7. Have no fear, there's a simple trick that will get you back in business and playing in a heartbeat!
  8. Using the key combo "Command + Enter", you will be able to toggle the game between a normal (and visible) Full Screen and the scary minimized size it started in
  9. Note: You should only have to do this ONCE unless you need to toggle to the desktop for some reason (MIds, Browser, etc)

As much of a headache as all the testing was, trying to figure out Why it wasn't doing this or that, it's great to see that, with the help of those more used to these things, we finally have a streamlined solution to getting you up and running on modern hardware once again!

Edited by WanderingAries
  • Like 2

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

First off thanks for all you guys do to help out the Mac community.

Sadly I followed all the steps to the best of my ability and I am currently stuck on step 3: installing the HC Launcher, specifically the "First Launch" section in the guide. When I click on "New Launcher" I did not get the EULA screen but I got an install screen asking me to select a path to put the game itself. When I click Install I get an error message saying it cannot be installed due to firewall issues. It's hard to make out exactly what it says because it appears off screen and I need to use Mission Control to see it. Basically I can't launch the new launcher and the game won't install. I tried manually installing rosetta 2 and got the same results.

Before this guide i tried running it with Island Rum and couldn't get it to run. The game installs but the game itself won't launch, no white screen, just a wine64-preloader pops up in the menu bar that says "Program Error." Any help here would be much appreciated.

@WanderingAries

If you're using my Launcher Installer (it looks like you are) it's not really necessary to install Wine or Homebrew anymore - it has a current version of Wine included in the package, which installs to the /Applications/coh/wine folder.

I haven't had access to an M1 Mac yet due to severe budget issues, though, so if you tested it with Wine-Devel and found it to work better, I can swap the Wine version included in the installer.  I've been meaning to update it anyway so I can finally sign it.

And I also heard about the mini-window issue, I don't have any ideas yet but I'll look through the wine default settings and see if something jumps out at me.

@Fiery_Deception

Move the "coh" folder somewher else and run the Launcher Installer.  That might fix whatever permission issues are going on.

5 hours ago, GM Manga said:

@WanderingAries

If you're using my Launcher Installer (it looks like you are) it's not really necessary to install Wine or Homebrew anymore - it has a current version of Wine included in the package, which installs to the /Applications/coh/wine folder.

I haven't had access to an M1 Mac yet due to severe budget issues, though, so if you tested it with Wine-Devel and found it to work better, I can swap the Wine version included in the installer.  I've been meaning to update it anyway so I can finally sign it.

And I also heard about the mini-window issue, I don't have any ideas yet but I'll look through the wine default settings and see if something jumps out at me.

@Fiery_Deception

Move the "coh" folder somewher else and run the Launcher Installer.  That might fix whatever permission issues are going on.

Yeah, that's where my (lack of) experience with these software components shines. While I may understand even the basic underlining code for the game (I actually studied BASIC, C, C++ to some extent), I'm lacking in much of the behind the scenes things.  That said, if I can read it and it doesn't make a ton of assumptions, then I can normally get through it (lots of break-fix testing is thrown at me).

So, if you can instruct me on how to undo all the things I did in the guide (removing apps, removing the Traces of the apps, logs etc), then I can gladly test things from here. Now, I Can say that I'd already tested the launcher and it Did install just fine IIRC (maybe?), so perhaps the insight here is what I needed and didn't have? Whatever, throw me things to chew on and maybe we can make an M1 flavored cake! ^.^

Note: There's no clean way to remove Rosetta once it's there I've read, so I won't be able to do a 100% clean test. Hence why I've added the Rosetta message above. 

EDIT:

I found these if this is all I need to do. I'm just wanting to be sure I do a Clean test every time and nothing I do will depend on these anyway. The process installs Homebrew, Xquartz, and Wine-devel, so I'd want to make sure they're all gone as well as their logs, folders, etc.

Edited by WanderingAries

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

So I followed the script and it mentioned things left behind in a folder called "opt". I had to find That  by finding out how to show hidden folders on the Mac's root. It also left behind the wine-devel.app in the Apps folder, so I dumped that, the COH folder, and the Launcher.app. I think that's it for cleanup, but let me know if I missed anything. Searching the Mac for "Brew", "Homebrew", and "wine-devel" now come up empty.

So I went and followed the "standard" installation process for the Big Sur plus the key combo trick and it worked without messing with the Terminal. I guess I'll call that one then and not bother you further, @GM Manga

4 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

So, if you can instruct me on how to undo all the things I did in the guide (removing apps, removing the Traces of the apps, logs etc), then I can gladly test things from here. Now, I Can say that I'd already tested the launcher and it Did install just fine IIRC (maybe?), so perhaps the insight here is what I needed and didn't have? Whatever, throw me things to chew on and maybe we can make an M1 flavored cake! ^.^

The Launcher Installer includes both a stable version of Wine and an Xquartz installer.  I don't think Wine actually even uses Xquartz, but it has a dependency, so it has to be installed anyway.

You don't actually have to uninstall Homebrew or Wine-devel unless you want to save disk space.  The CoH Launcher has been designed to use its own working folders and settings folder, so they won't interfere with each other.  I did that on purpose so if Wine releases an update via Homebrew that causes devastating problems with CoH, the CoH Launcher and Island Rum can completely ignore it.

If you do want to remove Wine-devel, I think you just use "brew remove wine-level".

The biggest thing I don't know about the M1 Mac process is whether Rosetta 2 will install itself if CoH is the first Intel app launched, or if it will simply fail until another Intel app is launched.  If it's the latter, I might have to include some sort of stub app that I know is Intel only to trigger Rosetta 2 install.  

A lesser issue I'm concerned about is that tiny window issue, because it sounds like Wine doesn't support the native screen resolution of the M1 Macs (switching it to full screen uses a non-native custom resolution).  I have a theory I can't test that switching to full screen mode, choosing a reasonable size smaller than the actual display size, clicking Apply, and then using Cmd-Enter might fix it.

44 minutes ago, GM Manga said:

The biggest thing I don't know about the M1 Mac process is whether Rosetta 2 will install itself if CoH is the first Intel app launched, or if it will simply fail until another Intel app is launched.  If it's the latter, I might have to include some sort of stub app that I know is Intel only to trigger Rosetta 2 install.  

A lesser issue I'm concerned about is that tiny window issue, because it sounds like Wine doesn't support the native screen resolution of the M1 Macs (switching it to full screen uses a non-native custom resolution).  I have a theory I can't test that switching to full screen mode, choosing a reasonable size smaller than the actual display size, clicking Apply, and then using Cmd-Enter might fix it.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about that either, so I errored on the side of caution in the steps just in case. I can try the test no problem. When you do the toggle (Alt-Enter works too), I noticed you'll also make the game thing you're hitting the Enter key. The resolution in the game settings does match to what the native Resolution of the display (1080p TV) though. Once you do the toggle once, it remembers that the next time you run it. The launcher though, it still loves to push itself in the upper left corner, where the corner is centered on the middle of the window itself, each time you load it.

I know at one point, I went diving into the many text files in the game folder (COH) and found some marked GFX. I did a test somewhere on the forum in the past month or two where I'd edited that to see what it did as someone was having screen rez issues I think. IDK if it's related or not though.

Testing Results

• Don't mess with the Window options or the buttons (besides the red X) on the window itself or you can crash the game
  • Changing the game resolution (at the sign-in screen) simply changes the resolution you see, but the second you try to toggle (to make it a window) things go sount. It at first takes the new resolution (windowed), but then visually crashes to the the tiny form shown above. After doing that, it then reverts to full screen mode at native resolution.
  • Setting to "Windowed" in-game also immediately shrinks the app to tiny mode
  • Setting to "Native Rez - Desktop Mode" results in briefly windowing and then quickly rebounding to full screen
  • None of the available resolutions result in anything more than the above. In fact, swapping resolutions had the side effect of causing my browser window to shrink each time. 😛
  • I don't think we're winning this from inside the game settings

@WanderingAries   PM me, and I can talk you through replacing the Wine client with Wine-devel, and we'll see if that exhibits different behavior.  If that test doesn't work out, then it might just be something we have to wait for the Wine or XQuartz team to get around to fixing (the Wine-devel test would see if they're already working on it!).

Edited by GM Manga

On 2/21/2021 at 11:41 AM, GM Manga said:

@GM Manga

Sorry for the late response, was busy this week. I tried doing this and it didn't work, the launcher just sat in the dock for 10 seconds and closed itself without doing anything. Tried a clean install several times and once again i'm stuck the "first launch" section. When I launch it for the first time I do not get the Homecoming user agreement, it just goes straight to the "Please select a folder to install the Homecoming Client to." window. Tried several different paths and nothing seems to work, getting the same permission issue saying that the "launcher isn't a trusted executable."

Any assistance here would be great, thanks again.

Edited by Fiery_Deception

14 hours ago, Fiery_Deception said:

@GM Manga

Sorry for the late response, was busy this week. I tried doing this and it didn't work, the launcher just sat in the dock for 10 seconds and closed itself without doing anything. Tried a clean install several times and once again i'm stuck the "first launch" section. When I launch it for the first time I do not get the Homecoming user agreement, it just goes straight to the "Please select a folder to install the Homecoming Client to." window. Tried several different paths and nothing seems to work, getting the same permission issue saying that the "launcher isn't a trusted executable."

Any assistance here would be great, thanks again.

You scrolled down and read through This part, right?

EDIT: Just realized that may or may not end up actually coming up on the M1, but the key with Big Sur is the permissions. You've Got to give the permissions during the process or you won't get anywhere.

Edited by WanderingAries

20 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

You scrolled down and read through This part, right?

EDIT: Just realized that may or may not end up actually coming up on the M1, but the key with Big Sur is the permissions. You've Got to give the permissions during the process or you won't get anywhere.

I did and none of those steps appeared during the installation. I installed XQuartz already so I do not know if thats an issue or not. I do not remember the last 2 boxes in #3 and #4 appearing at all during the installation. Once again i've tried removing the launcher and the coh folder to try and install it again and i'm getting the same issue above.

3 hours ago, Fiery_Deception said:

I did and none of those steps appeared during the installation. I installed XQuartz already so I do not know if thats an issue or not. I do not remember the last 2 boxes in #3 and #4 appearing at all during the installation. Once again i've tried removing the launcher and the coh folder to try and install it again and i'm getting the same issue above.

What are you running this on (hardware)? Have you got Big Sur all the way up to 11.2.1 yet? Make sure to reboot every other failed attempt or so just in case (every time shouldn't be a need).

2 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

What are you running this on (hardware)? Have you got Big Sur all the way up to 11.2.1 yet? Make sure to reboot every other failed attempt or so just in case (every time shouldn't be a need).

Running the 2020 Mac Mini M1 8 GB Ram. Just installed the latest version of Big Sur and got the exact same issue. I even manually uninstalled XQuartz and tried installing it through the launcher and it STILL none of the prompts appear in your follow-up post. It doesn't even install XQuartz, just says the application was installed successfully. I clicked on Launch CoH icon and get to the install box with the same permission issues.

12 minutes ago, Fiery_Deception said:

Running the 2020 Mac Mini M1 8 GB Ram. Just installed the latest version of Big Sur and got the exact same issue. I even manually uninstalled XQuartz and tried installing it through the launcher and it STILL none of the prompts appear in your follow-up post. It doesn't even install XQuartz, just says the application was installed successfully. I clicked on Launch CoH icon and get to the install box with the same permission issues.

Weird, same hardware even. Hmm...

Do you have Homebrew or something in that realm installed/removed recently?

I feel like this is something that Manga and I dealt with.  Why don't we move to PM to keep the bulk down in here.

Edited by WanderingAries