Have you found your ‘forever character’ yet?

CaptTastic

Mine is the first PB I ever made.

Got her to 50, and still use her to run all types of TF's (not Citadel. Cant stand Citadel grr) and missions.

She just seems to be able to do anything I need.  Tank, Blast, and even Heal up to a point.

• Like 1

I don't do 'mains', really.  Heraclea is semi-retired at this point.  I will bring her out when somebody wants to run a master Ms. Liberty run, needs help with an AV, and similar content that makes survivability a premium.  But she is overkill for most content, and my DPS tankers and brutes (bio/spines, rad/spines, willpower/mace, mace/rad, energy/fire) are more than adequate for most purposes and clear trash faster.   On the radiation armor characters I will even enjoy an occasional Tinpex.

Lately I have been on a support kick, and have been playing defenders (poison/dark, cold/sonic) and controllers (plant/poison, dark/electric, fire/kin) heavily.  I am also slowly warming to masterminds; at least, I recognize that there is content (MSR, BAF) where the class excels.  This latter point is probably the key.  I have 38 level 50s on Torchbearer alone, and a level 50 tanker on each other server.   On Torchbearer, at least, I can bring the character the team wants or that is most fun against the content at hand.  So no, I don't do mains.  

I still am not yet bored enough with the rest of the other classes to roll a Kheldian. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

23 hours ago, CaptTastic said:

The struggle with altitis is real, yet the love for a main never dies. 

Just wondering how many among us have found that forever character that will always be special for you above all others and played considerably more? 

And, if so, what was it that made it special? Power set combos? Play style? Costume/looks? Sentimentality? 

Very curious to learn. 

lol I view mine as a super team constantly adding new, cool members - that for some odd reason can never be in the same spot at the same time.

Edited by Infinitum
  • Like 4

On 2/23/2021 at 11:16 AM, Gulbasaur said:

Doctor Fortune has been my main for a while now. Fortunatas are strong all-rounders and very team-friendly.

Best at any one thing? Not by a long shot.

Okay at everything? You betcha.

They have armour, control, ranged damage, melee damage and ally buffs. I can just about maintain aggro well enough to tank through debuff stacking.

Aggro gets thrown off when a basic bitch scrapper gets to slap-happy with the AoE, but that's what Provoke is for. I've definitely out-taunted safety-scrapper brutes before. My power pool choices are almost entirely utility powers and it's nice being able to hoick lowbies around with Teleport Target and be able to use Grant Invisibility to bypass mobs like nature intended.

The cheap, strong Leadership buffs are great because they make teaming less hassle - you can just quietly carry people from a fairly low level for minimal endurance.

Maybe the real Arachnos is the friends we buried along the way ❤️

Another vote for Fortunatas. I get IMs like "Do you ever play another character?"

Edited by KaizenSoze
  • Like 2

On 2/23/2021 at 4:16 PM, Gulbasaur said:

Doctor Fortune has been my main for a while now. Fortunatas are strong all-rounders and very team-friendly.

Best at any one thing? Not by a long shot.

Okay at everything? You betcha.

They have armour, control, ranged damage, melee damage and ally buffs. I can just about maintain aggro well enough to tank through debuff stacking.

Aggro gets thrown off when a basic bitch scrapper gets to slap-happy with the AoE, but that's what Provoke is for. I've definitely out-taunted safety-scrapper brutes before. My power pool choices are almost entirely utility powers and it's nice being able to hoick lowbies around with Teleport Target and be able to use Grant Invisibility to bypass mobs like nature intended.

The cheap, strong Leadership buffs are great because they make teaming less hassle - you can just quietly carry people from a fairly low level for minimal endurance.

Maybe the real Arachnos is the friends we buried along the way ❤️

Why the hell have I never tried a Fortunata? 

This is part of my struggle tbh. I think I love a character, then I read the forums and my head gets turned 😂🙈

Yes, she's a Claws/SR scrapper created in Issue 3.  She was and is my Main among Mains named Greta (full name GRETA-001 for Genetically Resequenced and Engineered for Tactical Assault).  Any new challenge, mission, TF, I-trial, zone it was her doing it, whatever it was.  And it continues here.  First to be recreated and first to 50 again and will no doubt be the first one I log into when I get a computer up and running.

• Like 1

I'd say I have one character that I've invested a lot of time into, in terms of play, build theory, and outside-the-game articulation. She was my main during my brief stint in CoV, though on HC she's a Tanker. Still not sure if that was a good call almost two years later.

But I don't play her as much as I used to. To answer the questions in the OP, my attachment is certainly more out of sentimentality than anything else.

Same with my runner-up, who is usually a crowd favorite due to spectacle and levity she brings to the right group. Luckily, my heart is big enough for two mains.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 10:01 AM, CaptTastic said:

The struggle with altitis is real, yet the love for a main never dies. 

Just wondering how many among us have found that forever character that will always be special for you above all others and played considerably more? 

And, if so, what was it that made it special? Power set combos? Play style? Costume/looks? Sentimentality? 

Very curious to learn. 

See sig below.  Rathstar is my first and forever char, created in the spring of 2004 at the end of Issue 1 or beginning of Issue 2 (I can't quite remember exactly, as I was also playing Asheron's Call 2 at the time).  I was a big Iron Man™ fan growing up, and the ability to create my own hero with energy blasts from the hands was a huge deal for me.  I loved Energy/Energy Blasters from Day One, and still do to this day.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

I have two "forever" support characters - a Water Blast/Force Field Corruptor and a Dual Pistols/Dark Miasma Corruptor.  Yes, yes, Force Field.  Eww.  But there are still a couple of niches that Force Field is best at (especially on Corruptors), and in combination with Water Blast the character is a joy to play.  On a full team or league, he feels like a Water Blast Blaster with AoE mez protection and can hand out bubbles every three or four minutes, thank to having the Gaussian buildup proc in Tactics.  My Dual Pistols/Dark Miasma Corruptor is the only character from prior to sunset that I remade on Homecoming.  It is my homage to The Shadow.  It's not the best debuffer on the block (nor the best debuffer I have), but it looks great, feels great, and it gets the job done.

I have a forever damage character - a Dual Pistols/Temporal Manipulation Blaster.  What can I say?  I love Dual Pistols.  There are better ranged attack sets, but none look as good nor feel as good.  Temporal Manipulation gets my Dual Pistol attacks back up more quickly, and it has a couple of very good, cool looking melee attacks of its own.

Right now, I'm on the hunt for my forever melee character.  Not sure I'll find it, but who knows.

• Like 1

oh my Forever Character. damm i needed an realy long time for it.

From beta till HC and here till recently.

Its my Illusion / Poison Controller.

Its an concept Snake Toon and i never tought it woud be such an Blast to play.

Its the First Toon i invested the full load of Inf to outfit and it was worth it.

With his permanent Phantom Army and his awesome debuffs there is nothing i cant do.

And he plays so fluid like no Toon before.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2021 at 4:28 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

Not yet.  I have an inkling it may be some sort of War Mace/Bio Armor melee character, but I haven't come up with a good theme yet.  Also, there are only like two war mace skins that work for me and I'm tired of them.

I feel that.  I have a “Walking Tall” homage WM/Bio scrapper but his only two choices that fit the theme are the club or the police baton.  And the club looks like something Bam Bam from the Flintstones would wield.  

12 hours ago, CaptTastic said:

Why the hell have I never tried a Fortunata? 

They can be a bit rough to start - at level 24 you get a mandatory respec with power pools that are locked out until then, meaning that you can take different low level powers than were originally available.

1-24 = somewhere between a crap scrapper and a pre-revamp stalker.

post-24 (including exemplared down/ouro) = a controller with knives for hands, a teammate-improvement aura and nukes.

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

5 hours ago, Crysis said:

I feel that.  I have a “Walking Tall” homage WM/Bio scrapper but his only two choices that fit the theme are the club or the police baton.  And the club looks like something Bam Bam from the Flintstones would wield.  

Baseball bat or shillelagh (which I can imagine into a cane or walking stick) are my only acceptable skins.  I'm ok with the shovel on my Axe brute, but I'd have to use the flat side on a War Mace scrapper and I'm not sure I want to do that.

Who run Bartertown?

Fire/fire/mu blaster with sorcery. Love the high risk/high reward playstyle. Only wish I had committed to it first as my original main for homecoming, but it took me a while to figure out how much blasters have improved since live server play. 

Second to that is also my poison/fire defender, which makes for an excellent solo supporter for teams with elixir of life and vengeance. Does way more damage than I could have ever anticipated. Poison is another one of those sets that has really taken off with the new metagame norms of homecoming - faster pace, more blasters to support, more prevalence of IOs, which shores up some of the competition it has with cold domination that offers shielding.

Plant control is also a mainstay choice for me because seeds of confusion is the best power in the game 😆

Edited by DreadShinobi
  • Like 1

Currently on fire.

I don't have a main - they are all alts.

But I suppose my favorite is my Street Justice/Bio Brute on Torch - Duk Duque.  He's so damn fun to run.

There's something therapeutic about punching the snot out of mobs.  It's so satisfying!

Edited by Rishidian

Even when I like a character I put them aside and start another. Claws/Bio Scrapper played amazingly and I don't even I even had double digit vet levels with it before I turned it into my PLer for my other account.

Fire/Claws was love at first sight and I played it SO MUCH. I'd just see random people forming a TF and I'd join for the heck of playing. It cured my altitis something fierce. It just had everything from starting early so that exemplaring was champion level good. It was sturdy as befits a tank, it did excellent damage (and not just 'for a tanker') with two build-up mechanics. It remains my only character with triple digit vet levels and all T4-ed.

But even that gem got dropped for the newer shinier replacement that is Fire/Martial Arts. It has everything Claws had including damage and early start, but much better defenses and FF procs in its AoE accelerates every cooldown the build has so it feels like playing in fast forward. The only thing slowing it down is that I don't really have people to play with and just doing random TFs has been done. I haven't slotted more than half the incarnates and haven't even finished the accolades.

But I see no point in playing other characters. It has everything and I feel like a super hero wading into the fight first, seeing the visible drop (or one shotting) of HP when I press my AoEs.  A friend is making a new alt? It can exemplar all the way down. High level content? It can tank it. Duoing a TF? Bish, it soloed them -while- leveling and now it's 50 and slotted up.

Plus it pleases me to see giant robots flipping twice in the air when my tiny barbarian paladin that reaches their knee kicks them

• Like 3

For the longest time, my forever character was Astellus, my Kinetic/Energy/Mu scrapper. Then I rolled my newest toon, Bowshock, who is still in the leveling process, although I plan for him to be a Rad/Energy/Flame Blaster. His concept is everything I didn't know I wanted out of a character. I like his backstory, as a guy who moved to Paragon and ended up having an encounter with a "mysterious, extradimensional entity" which in my mind is some sort of Lovecraftian beast. The encounter seemingly imbued him with the enhanced strength, energy manipulation, and strong heat powers. (I kind of preferred to take "radiation blast" as a representation of intense heat, rather than fire.)

Conceptually, I love the character as somebody who doesn't have a big laundry list of "phenomenal cosmic powers" or who isn't godly. He just... becomes powerful in his own right by training and mastering his heat/energy powers to the degree that he can even shoot from his eyes a la Cyclops!

I also really like the aesthetic I came up with for him, costume-wise. Even his dark matter aura, combined with changing his energy powers into this deep red-yellow hue, has given him  a nice sense that he is manipulating some kind of "exotic energy" without him looking too dramatic or bizarre. He's just a dude with cool powers.

Plus, he's been hitting like a TRUCK. I never considered Rad/Energy for this character concept until one day when I randomly decided to roll him. While I wish the blasts looked more like the beams from beam rifle (that would be AMAZING), he just has been unexpectedly powerful. I can't wait to get him to level 50. I haven't wanted to play a single other character since rolling Bowshock.

• Like 1

Liberty and Virtue server refugee. Everlasting resident.

Main/Planned Characters:

• Astellus - Kinetic/Energy/Mu Scrapper (Magic)
  • Plasmitar - Radiation/Energy/Flame Blaster (Science)
  • Scionic - Psychic/Atomic/Soul Blaster (Mutation)
  • Safehouse - Street Justice/Energy Aura Scrapper (Magic)
  • Starshear - Energy/Atomic/Force Blaster (Science)
  • Neonstar - Luminous/Luminous Peacebringer (Natural)
  • Faerwald - Gravity/Energy/Psionic Dominator (Science)
  • Fomalhaut - Rad/Rad Sentinel (Science)

Stygian Cat (Claws/DA scrapper) will always have a special place in my stable. HC will be like the 5th time to 50 with him (one of those was Claws/DA stalker when CoV launched). I've played through every buff and nerf, remember the looping/DA sounds, etc. Not sure why, it really is a masochistic combo even fully IO'd and incarnated, but…he really is a "scrappy" guy. I also love the look of the tiny, creepy, black fluffball with red, glowing eyes and the PBAoE auras.

After Styg, Polly's Revenge (Mind/Psi permadom) is my other huge favorite. I just love his costume, concept, and reception amongst teammates and friends. --"POLLY. HATES. CRACKERS."

If you were to ask my regular teammates, they'd go with Barium Bunny (Rad/Rad defender). I definitely play him "offender" style and it's amazing how indestructible he can be. He's wearing body armor, but I guess a tiny, male, white-n-green rabbit just screams "cute." --"Hello everybunny!"

Edited by CFIndustries

I actually asked this question because I was struggling with a dilemma myself, so big thanks for the answers. 

I’m not short on 50s, but there’s only one I love - my Archery/TA blaster Agincourt Prime. But for all I love him, he’s not my most powerful character. In fact he’s not even my most powerful blaster, for that matter. 

So there always has been a bit of guilt attached to playing him as it’s a self-indulgence. I can bring much more to a team than him, MUCH more, so feel like I’m not pulling enough weight if I play him instead. 

But actually, this thread has helped me realise I kind of love him BECAUSE he’s not the most powerful. He’s the smallest guy in the fight, the one trying to save the world from super powered maniacs with literally nothing more than a bow, a few arrows, and a plucky attitude. 

More to the point though, answers here have helped me realise it’s actually ok to love him for that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/25/2021 at 3:42 AM, twozerofoxtrot said:

I'd say I have one character that I've invested a lot of time into, in terms of play, build theory, and outside-the-game articulation. She was my main during my brief stint in CoV, though on HC she's a Tanker. Still not sure if that was a good call almost two years later.

But I don't play her as much as I used to. To answer the questions in the OP, my attachment is certainly more out of sentimentality than anything else.

Same with my runner-up, who is usually a crowd favorite due to spectacle and levity she brings to the right group. Luckily, my heart is big enough for two mains.

Just wanted to say: this HC bio website is so cool!

• Like 1

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

My forever character should have been my original Defender back in live. But bad interaction with a developer/Statesman  soured me on the game and I stopped playing for a number of years. When I returned I decided to leave my previous existing character untouched and started anew on a new server.

So at this point no forever characters but I do have The <Archetype> characters, at least for the following:

• Blaster
  • Brute
  • Corruptor
  • Tank
  • Widow

These are not the only ATs I play nor the only example of those ATs that I play but for each of those ATs I have one character that stands out, fires the imagination, and performs well enough that I cannot see ever getting to a state of not playing them.

• Like 1