Have you found your ‘forever character’ yet?

CaptTastic

45 minutes ago, CaptTastic said:

I actually asked this question because I was struggling with a dilemma myself, so big thanks for the answers. 

I’m not short on 50s, but there’s only one I love - my Archery/TA blaster Agincourt Prime. But for all I love him, he’s not my most powerful character. In fact he’s not even my most powerful blaster, for that matter. 

So there always has been a bit of guilt attached to playing him as it’s a self-indulgence. I can bring much more to a team than him, MUCH more, so feel like I’m not pulling enough weight if I play him instead. 

But actually, this thread has helped me realise I kind of love him BECAUSE he’s not the most powerful. He’s the smallest guy in the fight, the one trying to save the world from super powered maniacs with literally nothing more than a bow, a few arrows, and a plucky attitude. 

More to the point though, answers here have helped me realise it’s actually ok to love him for that. 

He's Captain America standing up to Thanos and his army in Endgame 💪

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

My forever character should have been my original Defender back in live. But bad interaction with a developer/Statesman  soured me on the game and I stopped playing for a number of years.

I feel you on this…my very first alt to 50 on Live ever (around i3) I rage-deleted after Enhancement Diversification (ED) bcause it made him and his concept (as-designed) worthless and I had no interest in re-imagining him. I was sad and even wrote a bit of fan-fic on his demise as therapy. The story included Stygian Cat "Version 1" (mentioned above) who also got thrashed by ED.

I did, however, re-create that first alt for the last day of Live just so I could go out on the same alt I came in on. So he was there until the moment they switched off the servers.

But I have not recreated that alt on HC, his kind had no real place post-ED so…no point.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, StriderIV said:

He's Captain America standing up to Thanos and his army in Endgame 💪

Pretty much! I actually find myself deliberately gimping him sometimes just to keep him on the underdog theme. 

30% S/L resist from Dark Embrace in epic pool? Forget it. You’re getting 8.75% from body armour and you’ll be grateful for it! 😂

• Haha 4

I have 3 accounts. Each one has a favorite brute, tank, and sentinel. They all have different power sets.  My main account has a warshade and spider that are both so decked out I see no reason to start another. I’m still working on other classes. If I had to pick just one to keep, it would be my electric/bio tank. Thanks to adaption it can be a decent damage dealer or it can be a great tank with several powers to keep it alive. I can easily run it solo at +4*8. At least as long as archvilians aren’t involved. And maybe even then.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 11:53 PM, CaptTastic said:

This is part of my struggle tbh. I think I love a character, then I read the forums and my head gets turned 😂🙈

The same thing happened to me dozens of times, until I made a Widow and found that it can do all the different things I look for in a character. So, +1 vote for (hybrid) Widow, for all the reasons Gulbasaur mentioned in his post. Sorry for sounding like a crazed member of the Cult of Widows 😄

Whatever playstyle I happen to be in the mood for when I log on, the widow is good for it. Ranged or melee, solo or team, lowbie or incarnate missions. As someone who was constantly searching for a Forever Character, it feels good to have finally found it. It also feels weird, though. Like, what do I search for now?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CaptTastic said:

I actually asked this question because I was struggling with a dilemma myself, so big thanks for the answers. 

I’m not short on 50s, but there’s only one I love - my Archery/TA blaster Agincourt Prime. But for all I love him, he’s not my most powerful character. In fact he’s not even my most powerful blaster, for that matter. 

So there always has been a bit of guilt attached to playing him as it’s a self-indulgence. I can bring much more to a team than him, MUCH more, so feel like I’m not pulling enough weight if I play him instead. 

But actually, this thread has helped me realise I kind of love him BECAUSE he’s not the most powerful. He’s the smallest guy in the fight, the one trying to save the world from super powered maniacs with literally nothing more than a bow, a few arrows, and a plucky attitude. 

More to the point though, answers here have helped me realise it’s actually ok to love him for that.

Towards the end of live I created a Assault Rifle/Poison corruptor. There was a guy locally who told the most obvious lies about himself regarding money and acquaintances of his and on a whim I decided to make a character who looked somewhat like him. At this point I honestly cannot say why I settled on those two powersets--was I trying to be ineffective or did I have some concept in mind. I do know it was out of concept for him to have any of the travel powers, so I equipped him with a hoverboard. I almost always played the guy solo and may have two man teamed at most a few times.

Did I mention ineffective? He was a corruptor, so status effects were definitely an issue and while Corruptors can obviously be built that solo well, Poison...well, it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of secondary powersets.  Effectively the guy was an underpowered blaster--all glass, no cannon. And yet, figuring out how to survive and complete missions turned out to be a complete blast even if I had several other characters which would have waltzed through them with  no difficulty.  He was in the high 30s or low 40s at shutdown and I probably would have tried to push him to 50 if shutdown had not occurred.

Of course not being a complete glutton for punishment I did not remake him on Homecoming.

Edited by Erratic1
  • Like 2

Back on Live my two mains were a Dark Melee/Super Reflexes Scrapper, and a Gravity/Kin Controller.

I didn't wanted to keep the concept of my Scrapper but wanted to try New Things since we don't know how long this will last, and also wanted more AoE on my Scrapper. 

So I went with Titan/Ninjutsu, and that was a royal hoot most of the time.  Altitis will do what Altitis does, so after rolling through a few dozen more power combos I've almost settled on a Bio/Dark Melee Tank.  I didn't think I'd like Bio, but this combo is loads of fun, survivable if I pay attention, does enough damage/AoE, has cool soundFX, and can lead a PuG of random-level sidekicks to victory against +4 mobs.  This is the first toon I've fully Incarnated out. It's fun!

I did re-create the Grav/Kin, but for some reason I'm not enjoying it as much as the first time. Might be because I miss my old SG partners I'd most frequently team with on that toon.

For a long time, my official main (Bastille Boy, Tanker, Invulnerability / Street Justice) was my intended "forever character." I put a lot of effort into his build and his biography.

Then I rolled another tanker (Jailbird Jamie, Super Reflexes / War Mace) who plays better. The big challenge for my solo characters is to beat AE 801.2 at max difficulty. Bastille Boy can do +2/8. Jailbird Jamie can do +3/8 and might be able to hit max difficulty when he gets T4 lores. So at least for now, he's my badge collector and my go-to character when I want a tank. I expect Bastille Boy will come back once a year, on July 14.

I expect I'll keep coming back to my Ice / Thermal corruptor, Herocatcher Jake, because he's the central character in the shared backstory of my redside toons. But he doesn't solo well, so I don't bring him out that often.

You know what... I just might have.  I've been leveling my Ill/Traps controller Redside and he just hit 18 with Phantom Army. This induced all sorts of giggles on my part.  It's the first time in many, many alts I don't want double XP (that and, let's face it, the writing is SO much more fun redside)

So maybe.  We'll see.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 2:13 AM, Bastille Boy said:

For a long time, my official main (Bastille Boy, Tanker, Invulnerability / Street Justice) was my intended "forever character." I put a lot of effort into his build and his biography.

Then I rolled another tanker (Jailbird Jamie, Super Reflexes / War Mace) who plays better. The big challenge for my solo characters is to beat AE 801.2 at max difficulty. Bastille Boy can do +2/8. Jailbird Jamie can do +3/8 and might be able to hit max difficulty when he gets T4 lores. So at least for now, he's my badge collector and my go-to character when I want a tank. I expect Bastille Boy will come back once a year, on July 14.

I expect I'll keep coming back to my Ice / Thermal corruptor, Herocatcher Jake, because he's the central character in the shared backstory of my redside toons. But he doesn't solo well, so I don't bring him out that often.

I’ve got a SR/War Mace tank myself and they are absolutely glorious. 

Edited by CaptTastic

My Kintank fire/kin corruptor. Good resists, softcapped defenses, great recharge, extra recharge and passive damage mitigation with knockdown through repel (ff proc+kb to kd), mez protection through RoP, maxed damage, AND lovely juicy scourge (at max corruptor dmg!).  I scrap in melee with the best of them, I can heal myself, and buff the team+myself. It's sooooooo much fun!

🙂

edit: I soloed the ITF with my Kintank just to prove I could do it, it took longer than I want to admit, but I did do it solo, without temp powers.

Edited by Darkir
  • Like 1

I have cycled through a few "mains" since I got onto Homecoming. Part of the problem for me is the combination of enjoyment of play and RP concept. Originally I considered remaking my main from live, but instead I held off and made different variations that eventually just never grabbed me. Then when I finally did remake the old main, a DM/Regen scrapper, I remembered how much fun I had playing the character... but it still didn't stick because the RP wasn't the same, as the character was more than the stats, it was a product of the environment, and that is just not the same after nearly a decade. I made a DM/Bio scrapper with a different RP hook and that has become mostly my main... buuuut... my altitis seems stronger these days, and I keep making new concepts to test and develop. Some are more fun than others. Some keep me coming back, some develop a "voice" of their own, and some get leveled up, incarnated out... and just make me feel, meh, and they get retired/remade (if I like the concept enough).

I will say that I recently (in the past month or so) made and leveled the most enjoyable to play character I have maybe ever made. An Electric Armor/Titan Weapon tanker. I had tried TW on a brute when I came to HC, and did not like it at all back then... so clunky and disjointed in play... but I decided to give it another go after the changes, and I had this idea stuck in my head to make a Warhammer 40k style character with a massive chainsword so... I started in Praetoria and decided no XP buff, no farming, no leveling teams... just keep doing story arcs and the occasional level appropriate TF if there was one going. I was doing +2x4 content by level 20 and the character breezes through +4x8 content at 50. It is perhaps the most viscerally satisfying character I have ever played in CoX, an non stop dervish of smashing destruction, and I find myself logging that character in more often, even when I should be finishing a different one.

I love my fire/dark/foldspace/mu tank so much, i rebuilt her as bio/dark/foldspace and am enjoying it.

It plays just like fire, but less burn, more proc. Jane will be the all original, but this bio gal is pretty fantastic. Funny thing is, generally i hate tanks. These two are massive standouts. 🙂 (i like tanks on the team)